[CK2] Syphilis Removal Mod

Alexsis

As I'm sure many of you have found out, using any sort of mod like Christianity or Dark World which increases the frequency of relations between characters can result in a massive explosion of Syphilis. What this mod currently does is provide characters with an immunity to Syphilis, both the weaker version known in game as The Great Pox (trait: syphilitic) and the stronger form brought over by the Aztecs officially called Syphilis (trait: has_aztec_disease).

At present the mod uses a custom event which removes all ongoing stages of the disease and provides an immunity flag to both forms. This event is currently setup to initiate on loading of the save, once a year, and on birth of a new character. Because of the way this is being done, it should be friendly with all other mods and can be removed at any time without breaking saves. The only lasting result will be that all characters that were created before the mod is removed will be permanently immune to Syphilis.

Long term goals:

It was my original intent to remove the negative effects of the traits and to remove Syphilis from the Reaper database as a potential epidemic. While I can achieve these goals in a mod free environment, because of the way CK2 merges files, if any other mod includes a complete version of the 00_traits.txt, 02_traits.txt, or 00_disease.txt then these changes get overwritten. Since Christianity mod does include a full form of 00_traits.txt and it's a rather popular mod, I've left these changes out of the current version of the mod. This means that the Syphilis Removal mod will protect the vast majority of characters, but some instances may temporarily slip through and Syphilis will remain a dangerous disease until the next yearly pulse. The desire to include this feature eventually is why this first release is being labeled "light".

If any other modder has suggestions on how CK2's trait merging can be overcome I'd love to hear from you!

Final Note:

Although I've been coding for many years, this is my first mod for CK2 so feedback is appreciated! (Although, I will be the first to admit this mod is quite simple in execution heh).

Syphilis Be Gone Light.zip

You could simply make two versions of the mod. One that edits the necessary files to merit a "Full" release, and another with "Christianity" as a requirement t in the .mod file that does the same thing but also includes the changes made by Christianity to those specific files. That way your version would overwrite his, along with your changes being included.

This is a very neat mod btw, but it would get far more visibility if you upload it as a regular mod rather than a file attached to a post in the forum. For quite a long time I only checked the downloads section and never ventured into the forums. I'm certain there are many folks of that type that would likely jump at this mod.

Good Idea for a mod here, or rather a *fix*.

Mr_Treason is right, you should post it as mod. Also, with the current override system, it's kinda hard to do such things as you figured out yourself.

The only chance you have at this point, is to make several version of your mod, which overwrite those files.

To solve this problem, I want to make some advertising in causa mea, and hint you to this discussion, where I had the same problem :

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/71893-ck2-modding-event-override-question/?p=1818534

Another suggestion is to set up counter events that fire when the appropriate flags are tripped on characters and just remove the character flag and any possible resulting negative traits.  So you can do proper clean up anywhere in the process the event may trigger.  You can just stealth it and don't even need a pop up.  You could also work that into independent event files which wouldn't touch vanilla.  All the epidemics would still be firing sure, but your events would be canceling them out the moment they have an impact.  Could also use that type of event to tailor who gets hit the hardest.  So you don't have to neuter the diseases completely.

If char_flag = X / then fire event Y.

@ cniht: Thats also a alternative, but should be avoided, since CK2 (especially with a few mods) tends to get rather bad performance wise. Adding addittional checks and going with counter events is a rather huge performance imapact with the current CK2 way to check such things. Eventough it wouldn't be bad for just the player character, it's overall just a hack and thus not really good programming practise. 

@ cniht: Thats also a alternative, but should be avoided, since CK2 (especially with a few mods) tends to get rather bad performance wise. Adding addittional checks and going with counter events is a rather huge performance imapact with the current CK2 way to check such things. Eventough it wouldn't be bad for just the player character, it's overall just a hack and thus not really good programming practise. 

True, but the real problem is the number of characters in the player world.  Total engine load goes up as the world population goes up.  Sex mods naturally don't help that.  One of the big reason I'm huge on AI Seduction = no.  I also noticed that's something succubus seduction doesn't respect with regard to AI activity and really should be added.

The pulse option is a good compromise for the time being.

Syphilis is kinda annoying... But have you tried to spread it across the world?

This goal was main reason for One Of my games. Succesful for almost full empire of Brittany and France: 3

Well the English called it the French Pox and the French called it the English Pox.  I guess you just made it historically accurate. ;)

Syphilis is kinda annoying... But have you tried to spread it across the world?

This goal was main reason for One Of my games. Succesful for almost full empire of Brittany and France: 3

Well the English called it the French Pox and the French called it the English Pox. I guess you just made it historically accurate. ;)

Really? Interesting fact!

Ummm... yaaaay? :D

I really wanted to spread it into Spain and Scandinavia... But.. . Yeah... You you know the drill.

New mod updates get released snd you just have to update them. Aaaaand save games are gone.

But to bw honest... It was quite difficult to manage whole dynasty and have syphilis AND various diseases. In some cases whole dynasty blobed... in other almost died off from Smallpox.

Archived