To be, or not to be...a guy in Skyrim.

MsOtaku

So, Grey Cloud, I just finished reading the OP for Manipulator. Is this a "follower mod"? It sounds awesome, but I just want to make sure that I won't be needing AFT any more and my only other concern is that a lot of mods that deal with NPCs will say "compatible or not compatible with EFF, AFT, and UFO.", the popular ones. Since I'm starting a new game I don't want to break things and the mod author says this mod is game breaking...

Also in regards to the "hacks" like "No more nude comments" ect. I have a lot of those installed. Will installing this mod allow me to remove those other mods and give me a lighter load order?

EDIT: Oh, and equal rights for women IRL, but equal rights for men in games! Let's start a protest!

It isn't a follower mod in that it does not let NPCs become followers.  You can define a cell as "day" and another as "sleep" and when you add the NPC to your harem they move between the cells I think around 6am and 10pm. Probably more like the kidnap/slavery mods than follower really.  They do act normally though, sandboxing and using any markers that might be in the cell. Possibly more like my home is your home instead but they stay in the cells you define, unlike a housecarl that might wander in and outside of a home area.

I was actually thinking of suggesting something like this with both male and female NPCs. Would avoid the kid caring issue possibly but also drops the PC pregnancy part. Since Manipulator lets you define other cells once you've got the base one setup, you can move pairs or small groups to other places. On the home thread I didn't mention Blackthorn because it wasn't what you wanted, but if you did want a sizable home AREA it might work. There are NPCs you can hire but I've found grabbing my own and moving them in could work. There are some single shopkeepers that could use a partner.

www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/65839

If you have some single use mods like nude comments then yes you can remove those. ffabris uses the same methods most of them use so you'd just be duplicating them. On the other hand, if you have nude comment replacers you would want to keep those and just not use that option in his mod. I think most other NPC mods that conflict with follower mods are because they use their own follower system and so their NPCs just won't fit into AFT or EFF.

Lastly, the only breaking part of Manipulator is that there isn't an option to not Haremize a crucial NPC to a quest. Some that are quest turn in type NPCs are fine but you just have to visit them in their new place. Others, like Saadia, need to be in a certain place for you to complete the quest. It also has options you can perform with the console to make someone essential or not, kill, (resurrect I think) and other things that might lead to game breaking problems not nothing that serious or undoable. The Factions options (off by default) also would lead to problems (making yourself friendly to bandits makes guards not like you, IIRC).

The Manipulator looks interesting and I did install it and, so far, all I have done was to stop the "stupid dog" comments (I love dogs). Still trying to feel my way around. The mod and its required Papyrus Util33 and the optional UIExtensions grew the mod list to 254. I had to remove Familiar Faces to make room. Sadly, FF never really worked anyway after the first meeting when the imported character would suffer  some scrambled textures.

I removed the UIExtensions because the npc RaceMenu feature did not work for me and, after assigning f11 as a hot key for it I found that exiting racemenu would freeze the keyboard. Not even the "EPC" command would work. All my player character could do was shake his head. Good news is that said removal brought me back to a sleek 253. I will keep trying with the Manipulator as I can imagine all sorts of possibilities that it may allow and would fit my style of play. (I tend to collect folks and stash them hither and yon just so I could finally get into a pub.... the Drunken Huntsman was a hot bed of flesh).

Over the years I had created mostly lady characters, from saints to sluts. Most were not "beautiful" by some standards but they all had their own face, were on the "cute" side of the spectrum and everyone of them were fur bearing. I still have dreams that someday Familiar Faces could be made to work so that I could have them in the main game. Has anyone ever had any luck with FF?

Cheers

Codifer

The Manipulator looks interesting and I did install it and, so far, all I have done was to stop the "stupid dog" comments (I love dogs). Still trying to feel my way around. The mod and its required Papyrus Util33 and the optional UIExtensions grew the mod list to 254. I had to remove Familiar Faces to make room. Sadly, FF never really worked anyway after the first meeting when the imported character would suffer  some scrambled textures.

I removed the UIExtensions because the npc RaceMenu feature did not work for me and, after assigning f11 as a hot key for it I found that exiting racemenu would freeze the keyboard. Not even the "EPC" command would work. All my player character could do was shake his head. Good news is that said removal brought me back to a sleek 253. I will keep trying with the Manipulator as I can imagine all sorts of possibilities that it may allow and would fit my style of play. (I tend to collect folks and stash them hither and yon just so I could finally get into a pub.... the Drunken Huntsman was a hot bed of flesh).

I wonder if FF and its problems are also at the base of Racemenu's issue for you and possibly not UIE. This probably isn't place for that discussion but Manip's thread might prove helpful and I think ffabris answered a couple questions about the npc edits.

If you have a lot of armor or item mods I'd look at the Merge mod (I have a MO version of it, but I think it works for NMM and even no manager). That is an easy and danger less way to cut down your mod list and its page and I think the STEP wiki have a list of categories of mods you can also generally merge.

Codifer,

Sounds like your mod list is overdue a spring clean. Be ruthless - there's no room for sentimentality in a modded Skyrim.

If you have problems/questions involving Manipulator then ffabris will address them. I think of Manipulator as one the mods I don't use even though it is always installed. The one time I actually call up the MCM is to disable the Vigilant outside the house in Markarth. I never do that quest and getting collared by him every time I walk up the street does my head in. The rest of the time I am using hot keys so I don't think of it as Manipulator.

Karlpaws,

Are you talking about 'Merge Plugins'? If so then yes it works with NMM. Only merges plug-ins though, or am I missing something? Only tried it out a week or so ago. I merged the 3 Bijin's together without any problems. I've not tried it on anything else as plug-ins aren't a problem, it's mods.  

Are you talking about 'Merge Plugins'? If so then yes it works with NMM. Only merges plug-ins though, or am I missing something? Only tried it out a week or so ago. I merged the 3 Bijin's together without any problems. I've not tried it on anything else as plug-ins aren't a problem, it's mods.  

That's what I meant but I'm confused because you say it only merges plugins and then say you merged the 3 bijin mods. When people talk about numbers of mods or plugins or whatever in their load order I thought it just meant they were running up against the cap the game has, not how well their computer can handle what they have installed.

I don't think 253 armor mods, towns, player houses and patches would stress anything because they are not all loaded and probably wouldn't have anything bad happen if you added another 10. On the other hand 5 script mods on a toaster will not work no matter the fact you're using vanilla land and armor. Merging those won't matter a bit either, even if you could (which I would doubt) and i think that's what you're talking about.

Karlpaws,

What I meant was that I merged the 3 Bijin esps which reduced my number of plugins by 2 but the number of mods remained the same.

As I understand things, the 255 limit is caused by hexadecimal numbering. 255 is the highest number you can get with a 2 hex number. In other words it's a code issue not a load issue. :)

Even if a mod is not loaded, as per your 2nd paragraph, every time you enter a cell they are still polled to see if they are needed. Not a good example as it's vanilla but if you enter, say, Understone Keep and go to speak to Calcelmo then leave the keep, everything in the Keep cell is loaded even though you don't go anywhere near it.

Codifer,

Sounds like your mod list is overdue a spring clean. Be ruthless - there's no room for sentimentality in a modded Skyrim.

If you have problems/questions involving Manipulator then ffabris will address them. I think of Manipulator as one the mods I don't use even though it is always installed. The one time I actually call up the MCM is to disable the Vigilant outside the house in Markarth. I never do that quest and getting collared by him every time I walk up the street does my head in. The rest of the time I am using hot keys so I don't think of it as Manipulator.

Karlpaws,

Picture a badly used Model T truck wheezing along route 66 about 1934 or so, massively overloaded with mattresses, tents, tubs, clothes and fiddles. That would be my present game. My plan is to do a complete re-install so I must choose which mods to keep and which not. The mission of my present PC (also my avatar) is to evaluate the elements of the current created reality. The decisions concerning followers are the toughest. Hell, I even have trouble dismissing a follower, wishing them into the cornfield troubles me. My will be done.

High

The worst part about spring cleaning..  Spending 1 hour fixing all the MCM settings that don't save some of the options ><

I spend more time in the Alternate start cell staring at mara than exploring skyrim!!

I feel your pain.

You are aware that there are mods which sex up the various divines' statues? Would at least give your eyes something to rest on. :)

Codifer,

Karlpaws,

Picture a badly used Model T truck wheezing along route 66 about 1934 or so, massively overloaded with mattresses, tents, tubs, clothes and fiddles. That would be my present game. My plan is to do a complete re-install so I must choose which mods to keep and which not. The mission of my present PC (also my avatar) is to evaluate the elements of the current created reality. The decisions concerning followers are the toughest. Hell, I even have trouble dismissing a follower, wishing them into the cornfield troubles me. My will be done.

High

My advice: break down mods into categories. Mods needed to make Skyrim playable: patches, FNIS, FISS, SKSE, etc. Aesthetic/eye-candy mods: ENB, environmental overhauls/makeovers, etc. Character and NPC mods: Racemenu, Bodyslide, skin textures, NPC overhauls. Widgets and utility mods: Merchants have more money, easier lock-picking, etc. Sex: SL, CF etc, etc, etc, etc. Armour and weapons mods.

Install them group by group. Leave the NPC overhauls till second to last and the Sexlab stuff till last. Check for the latest versions but also check the support threads in case the latest version has screwed things.

After you have installed a few mods, have a play to make sure things are looking and working as expected. Easier to troubleshoot with 10 mods installed than with 50.

Tedious as hell but (hopefully) worth it in the long run.

Karlpaws,

What I meant was that I merged the 3 Bijin esps which reduced my number of plugins by 2 but the number of mods remained the same.

As I understand things, the 255 limit is caused by hexadecimal numbering. 255 is the highest number you can get with a 2 hex number. In other words it's a code issue not a load issue. :)

Even if a mod is not loaded, as per your 2nd paragraph, every time you enter a cell they are still polled to see if they are needed. Not a good example as it's vanilla but if you enter, say, Understone Keep and go to speak to Calcelmo then leave the keep, everything in the Keep cell is loaded even though you don't go anywhere near it.

I'm not sure we're using plugin and mod the same way. I was initially thinking of them interchangeably and only for those with ESPs loaded. SKSE and SKYUI and such were not in my consideration because they do not add to the load order. They do add to the load (or really for those two reduce it with memory and other patches to the base game) but if Bijin released all of the make overs as one large mod/plugin/pack you would have started with what you ended.

As you say, it is a code issue. I have read that it isn't a hard limit, in that you will CTD if you go over 255 but that your chances of instability with an otherwise stable computer increase as you approach, and then exceed, that number.

In any case it sounds like we agree that merging things that can be safely merged is a good thing and a way to increase stability unless your computer cannot run that much of Skyrim due to hardware performance issues. Upgrading to a four slice toaster is recommended at that point instead of merging.

:cool::angel::P:DB)

If you are trying to run Skyrim on a toaster then no wonder it's crashing. :wacko:

There is a Bijin AIO but this requires the installation of the 3 mods plus the AIO. You can then deselect the 3 Bijin esps and leave only the AIO esp active.

According to NMM I currently have 160-ish plugins and 188-ish mods installed. Then there is the active and inactive thing.

If you are trying to run Skyrim on a toaster then no wonder it's crashing. :wacko:

There is a Bijin AIO but this requires the installation of the 3 mods plus the AIO. You can then deselect the 3 Bijin esps and leave only the AIO esp active.

According to NMM I currently have 160-ish plugins and 188-ish mods installed. Then there is the active and inactive thing.

Ah, you're doing the left pane / right pane thing. I don't count "mods" then I think, since texture packs, armor mesh replaces and such won't affect the game that much. High Quality 4k packs would but again that's not a numbers thing. If that's all you have and your computer can't handle it, having 5 or 500 won't make a difference.

Inactive also shouldn't matter. I have 383 mods installed I think but just under half are inactive. I have old versions of stuff, alternate colors and "not using this playthrough" all in my Mod Organizer but only 237 esps active. I used to have over 300 of those before I found a way to take the inactive Esps out of the list. MO still numbers things that are inactive.

Here. A couple of  guides for running Skyrim on a toaster.

So, are your PCs, as in Personal Computers, female or male? Do they have names?  While I went ahead and decided that it was more fun to play as a female PC, Playable Character, in Skyrim my personal computer is male and his name is Elliot.

#sarcasm

Ah, you're doing the left pane / right pane thing. I don't count "mods" then I think, since texture packs, armor mesh replaces and such won't affect the game that much. High Quality 4k packs would but again that's not a numbers thing. If that's all you have and your computer can't handle it, having 5 or 500 won't make a difference.

Inactive also shouldn't matter. I have 383 mods installed I think but just under half are inactive. I have old versions of stuff, alternate colors and "not using this playthrough" all in my Mod Organizer but only 237 esps active. I used to have over 300 of those before I found a way to take the inactive Esps out of the list. MO still numbers things that are inactive.

Yes but all this still has to go through the 32-bit skyrim.exe, even the graphics.

I still think there is a difference between the number of mods you can have in NMM/MO and the number of mods which can actually load via the Skyrim code.

We are getting way off-topic here BTW. :blush:

So, are your PCs, as in Personal Computers, female or male? Do they have names?  While I went ahead and decided that it was more fun to play as a female PC, Playable Character, in Skyrim my personal computer is male and his name is Elliot.

#sarcasm

Way back when, when God was lad and I was studying for MS certification and what not, I used to run my own 5 machine domain. The domain was called Strategy and the machines were all named after famous military strategists - Clausewitz, Moltke, Fuller and a couple of others I can't remember.

Computer geek and military history anorak - a heady combination.

#sarcasm

Way back when, when God was lad and I was studying for MS certification and what not, I used to run my own 5 machine domain. The domain was called Strategy and the machines were all named after famous military strategists - Clausewitz, Moltke, Fuller and a couple of others I can't remember.

I stand and salute the memory of your military super computers. When they were honorably discharged did they get a 21 gun salute?

#sarcasm

I stand and salute the memory of your military super computers. When they were honorably discharged did they get a 21 gun salute?

Sadly they all died on active service - they died with their boot sectors on. Gone but their memory lingers on (I can see a 128MiB stick of DDR RAM on the shelf).

They served their country well. You should be proud.

So how's the gaming going? Are you surviving the dual profiles?

Short answer: not well. I'm arsin' about installing and uninstalling mods, tweaking, breaking, fixing and generally doing everything but play the game.

I'm level 10-12 and have just arrived back in Markarth to do the Forsworn/Mine gig. Once I've done that my plan is to take either Borkhul or Big Uthie (from Whiterun) with me as a tank, or chance a run to the nearest Nordic ruin to pick up a draugr, then head towards Solitude in a big arc.

I'm seriously underpowered as yet. I've only got firebolt, a steel dagger with soultrap, an amulet of Arkay and a ring which boosts mag regen. The rest of me is nekkid as a jay bird.

Also need to make decision as to when or whether to activate OBIS and Defeat.

My machine is fairly stout and such ctds that occur are related to jam packed pubs or to mod conflicts (Elysium Estate AND the pot shop result in ctds when crossing certain areas). Otherwise I can play for hours in some areas without problems as long as I limit cell loading and I cut down on carnality. I had begun to get the ".. runtime library C++" error and freeze after some great amount of friskieness. The Skyrim urban myth (perhaps) suggested that not finishing Jiub's gathering quest in the Soul Cairn is sometimes the cause. It took a few game days to walk to the Soul Cairn from Riften but I did finish Jiub's quest and am testing the truth of this. So far so good but have kept to excessive rather than the usual suicidal debauchery.

The Elysium Estates, as well designed and useful as it is, will not be in the next playthrough. None of my characters ever felt that they belonged there, nor in the Underground Bathhouse or the Luxury suite. The pot shop stays. My characters, be they male or female, all smoke and some grow. These basic content decisions made now must be gender neutral. Thus, Danariel Stormbow is too beautiful and too clean and must go, Mindi Badwyne stays both sexes agree on this.

Codifer

Edit to add:

Computer's name is "Flea" and is female. Named after my dog actually.

Maybe get your dog some flea meds? ;)

Alright, folks!

Is your PC (Personal Computer) Male or Female and why?

As far back as I can remember, I've always wanted to be a gangster....sorry, I couldn't help it. But seriously, as far back as I can remember all of my PCs have been male - Dexter, Poindexter, KITT, Stark, Banner, JARVIS, and now to my gorgeous Elliot as in Elliot from 'Mr. Robot'. My iPhone, which I consider a mini PC is gender neutral and is named "The Precious" - all of my iPhones have shared the name.

Maybe get your dog some flea meds? ;).

And maybe some anti-virus for the PC?

On a historical side-note: Ares once called Athene a 'dog flea' outside well-walled Troy . . .

Archived