New game: Peasant's Quest

Tinkerer

Hi there!

Just wanted to let you know that I've started creating an Adult RPG game. It's set in a familiar medieval fantasy setting, where you play a young farmer out to seek adventure. You'll get to meet several spicy NPC's along the way, with whom you may develope a relationship (and have sex with:-) ).

Development has only just begun, but I just launched my first demo. Please visit me at

https://www.patreon.com/Tinkerer

and download the game for free. I sincerely appreciate any suggestions you may have!

post-124893-0-28783300-1486597390_thumb.png

post-124893-0-73926500-1486597472_thumb.png

Came expecting this Peasant's Quest.

peasantsquest_2627.jpg

Anyway, here are my thoughts.

Pros:
-Cool touch having the color filter to signify different times of day. I know a lot of games probably do the same thing, but I liked it.

-Aside from the title screen (mentioned in the cons), the music fit the setting.

-No typos that I noticed. I appreciate that.

-Given the limited content, I was enjoying myself once I got a hang of the game! After (I think) I reached the end of the content, I was wanting to see more. I'm looking forward to where you take the game once it's further along in development!

-The dating/relationship aspect was nice. I typically enjoy that sort of thing in games, and it felt unique to have it in a straightforward oldschool RPG. Maybe it's been done before; I have no idea. I've never encountered it before though, and it felt like a unique twist to this guy. Maybe consider adding a status page where we can keep track of progress with our romantic interests?

Cons: (don't take these too much to heart. I was critical in order to give you more feedback for development)
-The main page music didn't feel fitting for a medieval setting. It reminded me of music from Mystical Ninja 2 Starring Goemon, which was a bit jarring. The rest of the music in the actual game fit the setting and scenes though: it was just that title screen music.
-Controls during naming the character weren't intuitive. Specifically, I expected either my backspace key or an option next to "Ok" to delete characters. It took me a little while before trying Esc, which worked. I'd suggest either showing the control onscreen or also allowing backspace to delete characters on the naming screen.

-It was inconsistent to see 2d dialogue sprites for halfof the NPCs that were in a completely different art style from the 3d sprites for the player or Gwynneth, etc. I understand that this type of game needs both art styles in it. However, I suggest you keep the talking head sprites (I have no idea what you'd actually call the sprites that pop up when you talk to an NPC) all in the same artstyle. Either make every NPC 3d when they talk, or make every character 2d/anime/whatever (reflecting their 3d appearance for any character that shows up in a 3d sex scene). I hope that made sense.
-Text for doors/caves/dead-end roads I can't enter would've been nice. Something like, "The door's locked... I can't go inside." would've worked. I ended up learning that I could only go through doors that have the little star, but for when players first start playing: it's a bit annoying to see places it looks like I can enter, but trying to enter it does nothing. Ignore this if you intend to make those areas playable and just haven't gotten around to it for the demo! You actually did put the text in some areas (like the tavern), so kudos for that!

-Speaking of which: it threw me off to see the "you can enter here" stars switch to those red rugs inside buildings signifying I could enter a door/area. If the stars are a final thing, I would've liked to see it consistent. If the stars are temporary though (and you eventually plan to remove them once all the other doors are finished), forget about this.

-Inside the tavern, I could walk up into the cracked wall in the top left-hand corner. If that's not intended for future content, it's a little bug you can fix.

-I didn't realize sleeping in the alley would make me lose 3 hp. I was expecting it to restore some health or something. Irritating little Game Over there. Some kind of warning it might be dangerous would have been appreciated.

-Weapons and armor seemed overpriced, but that might just be from lack of content/ways to earn more money.

-Recovery from sleeping was underwhelming. For 15 gold, I'd expect the best bedding to heal me for more than 6 hp/6 magic. Especially when a single goblin hits you much harder than what that healing is worth. Early game, it felt like a huge struggle to keep my income in the black if I wanted to fight goblins. And players are going to want to fight goblins. Later game, it still felt like a grind to earn money, even when I could rake in 6 goblin ears a day. I'm sure more content will balance all this out, but it's something to pay attention to.

Overall: While the game was just a little alpha nugget, it felt like a polished enough nugget. I enjoyed it, and I definitely encourage you to keep developing this game further! Thanks for sharing the demo with us.

I had a few questions for you too.
-Did giving gifts to Gwynneth currently have any result? I gave up trying after 3-4 gifts.

-Are you planning the game to be strictly a "gotta bang 'em all" harem type thing, or will players have the option to chose a girl to marry as an end-game objective?

-Will there be other locations/towns beyond Weirdwood to travel to, or is the game focused around this one location?

-Are we going to be able to form a party? The status menu seemed to suggest that, but maybe that's just the RPG engine you're using.

Thank you for your extensive feedback:

- I totally agree with you on the intro-music, it annoys me a lot, but I haven't found a setting to change or disable it yet. Could probably locate the file and swap it with a similarly named file.

- Jepp, I know it can be a bit confusing, I can add a short explenation text, because (for now) I don't know how to adjust the controls.

- My goal is to add 3D renders for each character you talk to, the 2D sprites are just placeholders for now.

- Good point about the doortexts, during playtesting I never even considered opening doors without a star, since I knew they wouldn't work. I ended up forgetting that the players don't know everything about the game as I do.

- I'll consider adding stars to the rugs as well:-)

- Walking into wallcracks definately wasn't my intention, bug in collision detection, thanks for pointing that out!

- Sorry about the alley thingy, but I don't think the penalty is so harsh that it deserves a warning, most will probably learn to avoid the alley quickly enough. I might consider making it non-fatal damage though (so you'll never get redused below 1 hp).

- Prices are still very experimental, they may change in later versions, don't have enough content yet to accurately balance things.

- The plan is to add several different sleeping acommodations with varying bonuses, but I could probably have increased the bonuses for the inn a little.

- For now the effects of increasing Gwynneths affection towards you are very limited/subtle. If she likes you, you get an additional image for each service and she won't mind you cumming inside her, if she likes you well enough. I'm also planning to change her prices based on your standings with her, but I haven't gotten round to that yet.

- The plan is to end the game when a player chooses to marry a character (so there can be several different endings). But how many you bang until you marry someone is up to you:-). Oh yes, I also hope to implement pregnancy, but that won't mean that you have to marry the girl (though it will have consequences).

- Originally Wierdwood was just going to be a small stopping point to a larger location, but I think that will be too much for one game. Perhaps I'll make a sequal in a larger city later on. There will however be several small locations around Weirdwood in later versions, and the town itself will probably expand with more buildings.

-I'm not sure yet about parties, but you'll probably be able to team up with at least one other person (actually you can already bring along the blacksmiths dog on goblin hunts before delivering him to his owner).

I really appreciate your feedback, I hope to bring more content soon:-)

I feel most of the good points are already brought up.

The game is to grindy currently. You get sooooo little money fighting that it doesn't cover your healing bills early on. Each time you are hit it's 10 to 8 health, until you get armor... To heal that, you buy bandages at 10 gold. So early on you lose money fighting because you have to spend more gold to heal than you make.

Seriously for a goblin kill, that should get you at leave 20g per kill at the very least. So at least once you get some experience then you can take on fighting full time. As is, you go fighting, then work the BS then buy a room, work BS, buy a room, work BS, buy a room. With near full health now you can start the cycle again going fighting. That isn't fun btw.

Congrats on the patrons, by the way! Regarding my alley gameover: part of why it was frustrating was because I hadn't saved, so I had to start my game over. It wasn't the biggest deal in the world. Just a little annoying. If you wanted, you could even tackle this with a little tongue-in-cheek reference. Add an NPC who mentions seeing a battle-weary traveler fall asleep in the alley and get mauled by rats in the night. Whatever you decide to do, I'm sure it'll be great.

And I was thinking about the grind, so I thought I'd post my brainstorming ideas on here. Like you stated, it's probably much too early to really be balancing income/prices at this point. But in the meantime: a.) meet XJ347's suggestion halfway and increase the bounty on goblin ears to 15 g, b.) add a chance on each goblin kill (maybe 15-20%) for us to find a second ear, since goblins DO have two ears (usually), or c.) add in a chance for us to find 1-10g after we kill each goblin.

On the bright side, the current grind is probably realistic, if we wanted to look at it that way. As a new guy in town, it'd be a struggle to work and keep our heads above water. And after getting banged up hunting goblins, it would realistically require a few days of taking it easy and healing before going back out there. Might not be fun for the average player, but if you're into hardcore roleplaying.... It's another perspective.

Hi again,

I decided to tweak the demo, rather than wait for the first Patreon update. Based on your feedback I've made the following changes:

- 50% more coins for goblin ears

- goblins will sometimes drop bandages

- improved healing from sleeping

- flowers can be found

- weapon and armor cost roughly reduced by 20%

- added text to all doors (I think).

- Finally gotten rid of that horrid intro music (now it's a bit less bad:-) ).

- Added some text about using the Esc key to remove letters at character naming.

I think this should reduce the grinding a lot and still not make money too easy to come by.

Appreciate the feedback guys!:-)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply, but although the game now is packed in a single .exe file, you can copy the savegame folder from the demo into the folder containing the new .exe file.

There may be some issues with flowers or mushrooms not spawning the first seven days, but you don't really need them anyways.

The demo itself is fairly limited for now, apart from what you've mentioned there is a minor quests for the blacksmith (which also allows you to work there) and a date with the barmaid. And you have the local prostitute off course.

I hope to release a new public version by the middle of next month with some more quests and storylines.

I'm also working on an update that will allow you to collect ingredients and create potions, but that has yet to be released for patrons.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

Just wanted to let you know that there is now a new public version of the game. Version 0.02 which you can download here:

https://mega.nz/#!gtUlGYYT!T5NOG7khGVaOQREQSvUjcUE8Y2-F3wvfx0DR3uzI8RA

This version includes more scenes, items and bugfixes, compaired to the demo. If you like the game, do please check out my patreon page to lend your support and get access to newer versions of the game.

Came expecting this Peasant's Quest.

peasantsquest_2627.jpg

Anyway, here are my thoughts.

Pros:

-Cool touch having the color filter to signify different times of day. I know a lot of games probably do the same thing, but I liked it.

-Aside from the title screen (mentioned in the cons), the music fit the setting.

-No typos that I noticed. I appreciate that.

-Given the limited content, I was enjoying myself once I got a hang of the game! After (I think) I reached the end of the content, I was wanting to see more. I'm looking forward to where you take the game once it's further along in development!

-The dating/relationship aspect was nice. I typically enjoy that sort of thing in games, and it felt unique to have it in a straightforward oldschool RPG. Maybe it's been done before; I have no idea. I've never encountered it before though, and it felt like a unique twist to this guy. Maybe consider adding a status page where we can keep track of progress with our romantic interests?

Cons: (don't take these too much to heart. I was critical in order to give you more feedback for development)

-The main page music didn't feel fitting for a medieval setting. It reminded me of music from Mystical Ninja 2 Starring Goemon, which was a bit jarring. The rest of the music in the actual game fit the setting and scenes though: it was just that title screen music.

-Controls during naming the character weren't intuitive. Specifically, I expected either my backspace key or an option next to "Ok" to delete characters. It took me a little while before trying Esc, which worked. I'd suggest either showing the control onscreen or also allowing backspace to delete characters on the naming screen.

-It was inconsistent to see 2d dialogue sprites for halfof the NPCs that were in a completely different art style from the 3d sprites for the player or Gwynneth, etc. I understand that this type of game needs both art styles in it. However, I suggest you keep the talking head sprites (I have no idea what you'd actually call the sprites that pop up when you talk to an NPC) all in the same artstyle. Either make every NPC 3d when they talk, or make every character 2d/anime/whatever (reflecting their 3d appearance for any character that shows up in a 3d sex scene). I hope that made sense.

-Text for doors/caves/dead-end roads I can't enter would've been nice. Something like, "The door's locked... I can't go inside." would've worked. I ended up learning that I could only go through doors that have the little star, but for when players first start playing: it's a bit annoying to see places it looks like I can enter, but trying to enter it does nothing. Ignore this if you intend to make those areas playable and just haven't gotten around to it for the demo! You actually did put the text in some areas (like the tavern), so kudos for that!

-Speaking of which: it threw me off to see the "you can enter here" stars switch to those red rugs inside buildings signifying I could enter a door/area. If the stars are a final thing, I would've liked to see it consistent. If the stars are temporary though (and you eventually plan to remove them once all the other doors are finished), forget about this.

-Inside the tavern, I could walk up into the cracked wall in the top left-hand corner. If that's not intended for future content, it's a little bug you can fix.

-I didn't realize sleeping in the alley would make me lose 3 hp. I was expecting it to restore some health or something. Irritating little Game Over there. Some kind of warning it might be dangerous would have been appreciated.

-Weapons and armor seemed overpriced, but that might just be from lack of content/ways to earn more money.

-Recovery from sleeping was underwhelming. For 15 gold, I'd expect the best bedding to heal me for more than 6 hp/6 magic. Especially when a single goblin hits you much harder than what that healing is worth. Early game, it felt like a huge struggle to keep my income in the black if I wanted to fight goblins. And players are going to want to fight goblins. Later game, it still felt like a grind to earn money, even when I could rake in 6 goblin ears a day. I'm sure more content will balance all this out, but it's something to pay attention to.

Overall: While the game was just a little alpha nugget, it felt like a polished enough nugget. I enjoyed it, and I definitely encourage you to keep developing this game further! Thanks for sharing the demo with us.

I had a few questions for you too.

-Did giving gifts to Gwynneth currently have any result? I gave up trying after 3-4 gifts.

-Are you planning the game to be strictly a "gotta bang 'em all" harem type thing, or will players have the option to chose a girl to marry as an end-game objective?

-Will there be other locations/towns beyond Weirdwood to travel to, or is the game focused around this one location?

-Are we going to be able to form a party? The status menu seemed to suggest that, but maybe that's just the RPG engine you're using.

So...so there is no burninating of the country side? D: I am a sad panada. j/k I too thought the same thing haha.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe I saw them in a few areas one of them was the area where you head to go get the witch when doing the mayors get rid of the witch quest. But I think I have seen them in a few other areas as well like the area to the east of town but they don't appear all the time so it may take a bit for one to appear when running around the areas.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply, but as myuhinny mentioned, they can be found in the goblin forest, although they are rather rare, on average they should pop up every 5th or 7th battle (can't really remember at the moment).

• 3 weeks later...

Really enjoying this game.

Think I may have completed it though, as there's nothing else to fuck ????

Do you get a message to the effect you've completed all missions?

Really enjoying this game.

Think I may have completed it though, as there's nothing else to fuck ????

Do you get a message to the effect you've completed all missions?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

good game, one of few where the "grind" is actually not super-easy. And it's fun to play - maybe I wouldn't go so far as to say I'd play it WITHOUT the H scenes, but .. it's closer to that than most other RPGMaker games! ;D

One question though, where is the crystal I need for the spy glass? I've been to the mines where you rescue the puppies.. no crystal to be found.. is there another mine? I must be missing some location, I think.

I've also got "crystallized eggs".. but I don't  think they'll do.

Archived