Deterministic way to find mods related to CTD's?

sub6

Hello everyone,

I'm new to modding and I'm coming from a software engineering background, so I'm missing deterministic information quite a bit when the game crashes because I can't find advanced/debug logs anywhere. All I see are high level logs from SexLab, Papyrus, etc. and they all seem alright.

After disabling mods on trial and error for a bit, I'm hoping there's a better way to deal with this. Perhaps, is there a mod that inspects the runtime and gives you better logging with timestamps, stacktrace or references to other mods that may be related to the last CTD?

If not, I'd still appreciate any advice on this, to save time and/or build confidence around modding & CTD's.

Thanks,

Subsix

Memoryblogslog, gogole for it, it will help you. I'm 100% Sure. =^..^=

That is indeed another nice bit, thanks for sharing it. I've seen memory tweaks ranging from 512 to 768 initial heap, and his mod description makes me think 512 should be a good enough upgrade from the original 256 initial heap. Not to mention dump logs on every new allocation which I'm curious to look at. Thanks again!

Memoryblogslog, gogole for it, it will help you. I'm 100% Sure. =^..^=

That is indeed another nice bit, thanks for sharing it. I've seen memory tweaks ranging from 512 to 768 initial heap, and his mod description makes me think 512 should be a good enough upgrade from the original 256 initial heap. Not to mention dump logs on every new allocation which I'm curious to look at. Thanks again!

You can set it to an Maximum of 1024.. BUT.. then you have to set this Expand Memory x64 thing.. in the ENB.ini File to "False"

I did set this to false, and in my SKSE.ini i run it with 1024. And till now no CTD's since 2 Months.. :o)

Papyrus wont give you a report with a CTD  as it crashes with the program.

certain things i do to prevent these issues are.

1. one mod per time. try, test, install next. The same process when modding files.

2. always check it has been saved in the correct format dxt1-5

3. always stick to the required sizes like 1024 x 1024 not 1024 x 1023 throws back a CTD (1 person who i helped had this issue was found by step 4)

4. i also load it into the creation kit this can also through back errors of sorts to help with problem solving

5. some file types no matter what you try will throw back a ctd. remove them take a note then never try again or look to see if someone else has modded the same file with no CTD. then try again.

6. patients , and lots of free hours

7. dont mod someone else's files then try to get help for it. at least get help from the person best(creator). it would be like i striped a car down left it for years then asked you to put it back together you not going to be able(not always). i personally dont help people when it is related to other peoples mods as i have no clue on what they changed or didnt etc

anymore ill add as i remember as far as the above poster states you can use a memory mapper etc to dedicate more memory and stuff bla bla bla. i think there is also a limit of 250 mods or so so make sure your computer has enough otherwise a ctd will always occur. kinda common sense that one. what your computer is might not be the same for someone else.

skyrim started on 32bit so was limited to 2gbs memory the memory booster bumps this up to 4gbs im sure so should allow for more stable platform.

also running creation kit on a standalone along with a basic OS reduces creation kit crashes, improves overall stabilty and loading times. kind of like when your create your own operating systems disk like an OEM. god knows what windows 10 is like but 7 you get the not responding for a few secs but it does pass. basically limit errors from outside interference the CK does use alot to load stuff up. (half tempted to see if CK will run on XP lol) 

As to your above question is there a way to find out what is crashing it through logs etc there aint as they crash with the game hope this helps but loading through creation kit you can at least receive some sort of feedback

Archived