Help with Converting an Oldrim follower to SE

I am trying to convert an Oldrim follower to SE and I am encountering a couple of problems with the Face Gen and the lack of hair. The follower is  Michiko - Japanese Voiced Samurai Follower, the CBBE NON-HBT Loose file version.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/69663/?

The Voice works perfect and the Subtitles are in English.

I used the NIF file converted and tried to do a update to the ESP with Creation Kit and I am getting an error.

FACEGEN: No Morphs found in TRI file.

"meshes\actors\character\Michiko\hairphysical.tri" Please do not use empty TRI files.

I am new to Creation Kit so don't know what to do to fix the issue. This is for my personal use not looking to upload it anywhere. The original modder hasn't been active in over a year.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi!

You can ignore that hair error. Save the plugin in the new version and fire up the game. Check her in-game, if the face looks very different, you must copy the facegen model from Oldrim and overwrite in the SSE character folder. I had a couple of NPC that got messed up after converting the plugin to SSE via CK.

Example: imagine you have an Oldrim NPC converted to SSE but the face is messed up after the CK process; get the facegen file from Oldrim (usually in \meshes\actors\character\facegendata\facegeometry\NPC.esp, where NPC.esp is the mod plugin name) and copy it to the same folder location in SSE data folder.  

• 4 months later...

I tried a bunch of stuff but never could get the face to look correct, realized she is not just missing the hair but also the eyes as well. I am giving up.

I was able to port her just fine. Head, hair, eyes all looked great. I know its been awhile, but if you're interested here's how I did it:

(I am using the UNP loose files version)

I am also using SSE NIF Optimizer http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/4089

1. Extract NIF Optimizer to wherever you keep your Skyrim modding tools (Or your desktop)

2. Extract Michiko archive to somewhere (Again maybe your desktop)

3. Open NIF Optimizer. make sure it is set up like this:

post-683780-0-49905000-1498893624_thumb.jpg

how you do this next part is up to you, but I found this to be the easiest:

4. Open the folders the mod and for the optimizer and put them side by side.

5. In the Michiko Mod folder, go to "Meshes\actors\character\Michiko" and select all the meshes EXCEPT head parts. (in this case Body nifs and the outfit folder)

6. drag the files over and drop them in the folder containing SSE NIF Optimizer.exe, and hit convert. After its done (less then a second) drag the file back to their original folder

7. Now select all the head part meshes (head, hairs, eyes, etc) and drag them over to the nif optimizer folder

8. Make sure you CHECK "Head parts only"

post-683780-0-10676600-1498893630_thumb.jpg

9. Convert and drag them back

10. Now in the mod folder go to "Meshes\actors\character\FaceGenData\FaceGeom\Michiko.esp" you will find Michiko's face nif.

11. Keep "Head parts only" CHECKED and move, convert, and move the nif back just like you did for the previous head parts.

You are now done with the mesh conversion, eat some chocolate or do whatever makes you happy :lol:

Now we will update the esp in the CK. Honestly this part is a lot easier if you're Data folder is vanilla, but if not it should still work fine.

1. Copy just the esp file to your Skyrim SE data folder.

2. Open the Creation Kit and just say "Yes to all" for any errors that pop up. IGNORE ALL ERRORS, THEY DON'T MATTER!

3. Once its all done loading, open Michiko.esp and set it to active. If it gives you any errors ignore them.

4. Once the esp is loaded, click save. It will tell you it cant find meshes for the hair etc. Again, ignore all errors/warnings, they don't matter.

5. Close the CK

Now, the CK will automatically generate a new FaceGeom and FaceTint for michiko in the meshes and textures folders in your data fonder. These are junk files that should be deleted or overwritten (this is where having a clean data folder helps)

6. Move the Michiko.esp back to the original mod folder on your desktop (or wherever else it is)

Now repack the mod in a zip or 7z and install your newly converted mod like you normally would

If you still have trouble let me know I might be able to convert the CBBE version for you, but its better if you can do it yourself so you know how to convert any followers or other mods you want. For mods with BSA's you just have the extra step of unpacking the BSA and then repacking it once the convertions are done. Good luck!

• 8 months later...
On 1/7/2017 at 9:38 AM, mptron said:

I was able to port her just fine. Head, hair, eyes all looked great. I know its been awhile, but if you're interested here's how I did it:

(I am using the UNP loose files version)

I am also using SSE NIF Optimizer http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/4089

1. Extract NIF Optimizer to wherever you keep your Skyrim modding tools (Or your desktop)

2. Extract Michiko archive to somewhere (Again maybe your desktop)

3. Open NIF Optimizer. make sure it is set up like this:

how you do this next part is up to you, but I found this to be the easiest:

4. Open the folders the mod and for the optimizer and put them side by side.

5. In the Michiko Mod folder, go to "Meshes\actors\character\Michiko" and select all the meshes EXCEPT head parts. (in this case Body nifs and the outfit folder)

6. drag the files over and drop them in the folder containing SSE NIF Optimizer.exe, and hit convert. After its done (less then a second) drag the file back to their original folder

7. Now select all the head part meshes (head, hairs, eyes, etc) and drag them over to the nif optimizer folder

8. Make sure you CHECK "Head parts only"

9. Convert and drag them back

10. Now in the mod folder go to "Meshes\actors\character\FaceGenData\FaceGeom\Michiko.esp" you will find Michiko's face nif.

11. Keep "Head parts only" CHECKED and move, convert, and move the nif back just like you did for the previous head parts.

You are now done with the mesh conversion, eat some chocolate or do whatever makes you happy :classic_laugh:

Now we will update the esp in the CK. Honestly this part is a lot easier if you're Data folder is vanilla, but if not it should still work fine.

1. Copy just the esp file to your Skyrim SE data folder.

2. Open the Creation Kit and just say "Yes to all" for any errors that pop up. IGNORE ALL ERRORS, THEY DON'T MATTER!

3. Once its all done loading, open Michiko.esp and set it to active. If it gives you any errors ignore them.

4. Once the esp is loaded, click save. It will tell you it cant find meshes for the hair etc. Again, ignore all errors/warnings, they don't matter.

5. Close the CK

Now, the CK will automatically generate a new FaceGeom and FaceTint for michiko in the meshes and textures folders in your data fonder. These are junk files that should be deleted or overwritten (this is where having a clean data folder helps)

6. Move the Michiko.esp back to the original mod folder on your desktop (or wherever else it is)

Now repack the mod in a zip or 7z and install your newly converted mod like you normally would

If you still have trouble let me know I might be able to convert the CBBE version for you, but its better if you can do it yourself so you know how to convert any followers or other mods you want. For mods with BSA's you just have the extra step of unpacking the BSA and then repacking it once the convertions are done. Good luck!

This is THE best guide for this, that I have come across so far. Short and concise. Excellent! Thanks, Mptron

Glad I could help. I should note my process is a general guide, and I think it will work 99% of the time, but I did run across a follower who included poorly-made standalone armor from another mod, that needed a lot more complicated fix. So if the original esp was poorly made it may need additional fixing in the CK to work right. If you try porting a couple times and something is still not working, it might be because of a deeper issue.

I am trying to convert a custom follower to SE and I encounter a similar problem: the face doesn't load up properly in SE. my character only has that default face after converting. I did everything as explained in the guide.

I suspect that something is going wrong when i convert the headmesh with nifoptimizer. The translation of the mesh seems to be extremely off after the conversion (see picture). Any help?

EDIT: turns out the nif was not the problem. I didn't replace the nif that was generated by CK when converting the mod. doing that fixed it.

Spoiler

rHUQ37Q.png

• 1 year later...

Thank you very much for this guide.  It worked well for me! 

Prior to the "fax fix" the PC had all sorts of "plane problems" like shaded occlusion planes streaming from the face.

One Caveat, if someone else is reading this later.  I think might have CK detected errors and then "unchecked" the esp file in the Plugins section of Mod Organizer 2 when saved.  So, when I launched SKSE, the mod did not load. 

PLEASE NOTE, I may have done something wrong on my end.  But, if you followed the guide and the NPC does not load in game double check plugin panel to ensure the ESP is enabled. 

• 3 months later...

When you resave a follower ESP in the CK it will (almost) always generate facegen/facetint data.

If the follower has a custom appearance you do not need any of this and can just toss it while retaining the re-saved ESP.

Stick with the original facegen/facetint provided by the author but make sure it is converted.  Cathedral Assets Optimizer works great for this.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there,

I also attach myself here because I have the LE Follower Mod "Mint -Mortal Dragon-" (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/72900)
just don't get converted correctly.
No matter which instructions I try, in the end the face of Mint always stays purple.
What I've found out so far is the reason for purple faces almost a missing face texture.
But the file "femalehead.nif" is available.

I started converting follower mods at "Moniko the Tattooed Beauty" (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/69618).
It worked without problems with the method described by "mptron", only with "Mint" I can not get it.

I would be very grateful for help as Mint is a great follower mod and I would like to use it in SEE.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2020 at 1:36 AM, Corganus said:

@ilkhan8:

Many thanks to you! ?
The mod works wonderfully.

Can you perhaps explain which files were in the wrong place and where?

Sorry for not getting back sooner.

I opened the face nif in nifscope to check the texture paths.  I simply typed the correct path to where the mod had its texture placed.

• 5 months later...

I just followed this guide to convert an oldrim follower mod to SE and something to keep in mind here is no matter what you see in nifskope after optimizing the oldrim facegen file with nifoptimizer, that facegen mesh will work normally in game. Keep the facetint texture generated by the CK but override the facegen mesh with the one you optimized with nifoptimizer. Tried it with Bsa archives and it was fine there too.

• 6 months later...

Thanks a lot! This thread helped me to finally be able to get some decent looking NPC in Skyrim SE. 

I use NIF Optimizer to convert SSE Nifs to LE "Oldrim" (I tried before without ticking "Head parts only" which lead to crashes as soon as a modified NPC was present).

I do this with the nifs generated by RaceMenu and Creation Kit. Then I can use NifMerge's "Merge to Target" and convert back to SSE with NIF Optimizer. 

Here's an example of Arivanya (left, on the right the "template" Dragonborn).

Spoiler

arivanya.jpg