I have an idea for modders on how to earn money without paid mods or donations.

Rezkin

Well you are correct about the retargeting but it seem to mostly fuck up around pelvis area that is why i would rather just first try to manually fix animation i have done plenty of convertions from different games so that part is very possible manually is only very time consuming not something i try everyday.

Off subject,

How hard is it to create a animation rig?

It depends what version of blender you use if you use 2.49b like i have been doing lately then you need to rig everything manually newer blender uses build in riggify so it is point and click and you have fully rigged armature. Not sure about 3dmax i have been using premade rig from a user from here. 

It is more fun building a rig manually this is the max effort any user can do to learn character rigging and also since you build the rig yourself you have a full idea how the rig works making animation creation more easy to manage then using someone else his rig.

The rigs i build for faullout and oblivion can easily switch between FK to IK or vice versa. 

But newer blender also has many more options i actually miss in the older blender. but older blender has the scripts ready so it takes less effort to export then using the newer blender, witch has no scripts at all for fallout or oblivion.

Really, masking your mods?  So you get what........ something like .00001 cent per click?  And possibly expose someone to a virus due to the shady masking service?  Really???  Good luck getting anyone to download anything from you.

If you are planning on getting into modding to make money.....just stop!  Seriously!  STOP!  Making money and modding are almost NEVER synonymous.  Not saying it can't be done, but outside of greenlight or patreon or a gaming company snapping you up, it is going to be damn near blind luck.  The time most folks spend modding won't equate to the amount of money they could make.  Hell, you can make more going down and working half a day at Burger King.  Leaving aside that many folks are porting things, which they can't legally charge for anyway..............

It is a nice thought OP, but not based on any reality I can see for the present or foreseeable future.

Hey man, I have made like 0.00001 cents per download.

By donation.

But what really gets me is that the amount of time and effort I put into my Book of UUNP, you would think that 300 unique outfits would like put me up there in the hall of fame.  When I look at the numbers of people numbering in the ten's of thousands who came back after 6 months to download a content update that did not endorse.....Its upsetting to say the least, and I'm a bit dumbfounded really.

You'd think that file of mine that so many swear by would be like elevated status but its not.

In modding people like their celebrities those are the guys that are going to make money even if some of them are just not that good, they got in early and have more exposure.

How encouraging that must be to see a modder bustin his tail building a huge sprawling module eh, 20,000 people came back to get the content add-on and less than 2% endorsed it.  I'm sure new modders are chumping at the bit to start building stuff any minute now.  I could go case by case, modder by modder with you about how some of your favorite mod authors didn't actually build the entirety of their module as well, but that would be at risk of making people really mad or furious with me so I wont.

Back to the actual topic,

The idea would only ever work for the Celeb Modder, really that's it and since most of us don't have a snowballs chance in hell of breaking the established order well dang guess we are all SOL.

• 1 year later...

I downloaded the mod, cheat terminal, and at the bottom of the cheat terminal list in the pip boy is an added feature called donations that accepts bitcoin, I thought , now that is flipping clever!. Send bitcoin from the game through the pip boy. nice.

On 1/27/2017 at 4:37 PM, Rezkin said:

Be sure to tell people to support you by whitelisting you on adblock if they have it

Ha ha ha, no. Fuck that and fuck anybody who does that.

Ads are an outdated concept of "support" and should be phased out. The only reason they stick around is because companies are too stuck in the old ways of marketing, which was based solely on ads, be it on TV, before movies in theaters, radio or old print. They tried to apply it to the internet and for a time it worked, but only because that was all anybody knew. The rise of adblocking has shown the world that the old ways of doing things is broken and is being rejected by a growing number of people.

But since change is scary, they keep doing the same thing with ads today as they were 10, even 20 years ago on the internet, only because everybody is rejecting them, they have to make them even more annoying, or just flat out malware to try and drain cash from you. It's the last gasps of a dead, irrelevant system.

Peopel who earn money from youtube doesnt need PC users..They are doing that money with in-video ads or phone! PC users are generally never close their add-blocks but mobile users not able to use add-block(you can but its not easy).. If you ask me you can earn amazing money with modding..But it must be something special..Just think about skyrim sexlab-framework mod is made by one person with every mod inculuded(even all animations)..

I mean all mods like defeat ,necro or animations all of them in one mod..Call that ''Skyrim-Sex'' and do some videos or promotions about your work..Lets think its 10$ or even 20$ ..Could you buy? But dont forget there is no sexlab mods and something close to that. I would defintly buy it!  (in my country 1$=5.69)

But I dont think you can earn money with some skin, clothe, armor or animation mods. It must be something big like DLC you just install and play. Also dont forget all modders are part of big picture that we have. I mean everything not coming from just one person..I hope I did explained with my bad english..

On 1/27/2017 at 7:31 PM, gregathit said:

Really, masking your mods?  So you get what........ something like .00001 cent per click?  And possibly expose someone to a virus due to the shady masking service?  Really???  Good luck getting anyone to download anything from you.

If you are planning on getting into modding to make money.....just stop!  Seriously!  STOP!  Making money and modding are almost NEVER synonymous.  Not saying it can't be done, but outside of greenlight or patreon or a gaming company snapping you up, it is going to be damn near blind luck.  The time most folks spend modding won't equate to the amount of money they could make.  Hell, you can make more going down and working half a day at Burger King.  Leaving aside that many folks are porting things, which they can't legally charge for anyway..............

It is a nice thought OP, but not based on any reality I can see for the present or foreseeable future.

Fantastically well said!

I think any endeavor into modding is immediately doomed from the start when it's motivated either solely or primarily by monetary gain or hoped-for monetary gain. It's, to be quite frank the worst idea for a get rich quick scheme and is forgetting the whole original point of modding.

This is something I feel will nver change: It's gotta be about passion first. You need to be motivated simply to make something because you want it to exist not in pursuit of money. Otherwise it's inevitably going to devolve into nothing more than a job.

Completely agreed about ads Kamen. Ads are a terrible concept. I feel too that whitelist doesnt really help an author anyways because Google takes 99.99%. I hear if you're a pretty good YouTuber you earn about $1 per 1000 views(Non adblocker). Probably only if you're a YouTube partner or affiliate or whatever they call them. Small time guys get less I bet.

On 10/14/2018 at 4:16 AM, frkncnky said:

Peopel who earn money from youtube doesnt need PC users..They are doing that money with in-video ads or phone! PC users are generally never close their add-blocks but mobile users not able to use add-block(you can but its not easy).. If you ask me you can earn amazing money with modding..But it must be something special..Just think about skyrim sexlab-framework mod is made by one person with every mod inculuded(even all animations)..

I mean all mods like defeat ,necro or animations all of them in one mod..Call that ''Skyrim-Sex'' and do some videos or promotions about your work..Lets think its 10$ or even 20$ ..Could you buy? But dont forget there is no sexlab mods and something close to that. I would defintly buy it!  (in my country 1$=5.69)

But I dont think you can earn money with some skin, clothe, armor or animation mods. It must be something big like DLC you just install and play. Also dont forget all modders are part of big picture that we have. I mean everything not coming from just one person..I hope I did explained with my bad english..

On 10/14/2018 at 5:09 AM, Kamen Rider Kuuga said:

Which just shows how utterly broken and desperate the ad system is; the only way it can still work is by robbing you of the ability to block them.

Which is also why I refuse to watch shit on a phone, or a tablet, or anything else unless I have a means of blocking ads.

Android pushes AdBlock to all their versions, most android users got a popup (almost over a  year ago) saying they can choose and use/combine any ad-block they want.

I use NordVPN, been doing so for 2 years now. It comes with an android app, that has a network based adblocker, which works absolutely gorgeous.

I never have any ads on my phone, ever.

On 1/27/2017 at 3:56 PM, Kaz Aanh said:

I'd rather create Patreon. More legit and anyways 95% of people are using adblocks.

Anyways plenty of modders from other games are actually doing it like klub17/hs/various links to other games.

Problem with parteon... is according to the badly outdated rules advertising for mods thru a paywall which patreon is is not allowed... Many of us have voiced our opinions on what is good and bad .... like advertising 15 times on LL before posting something new on LL is bad... I say LL needs to start charging modders to advetise on thier site... 

Firgured I'd throw this out here so others can be informed

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-precarious-business-of-living-off-modding/

anyone saying modders are not making money with patreon is lying to you... if you do the math.. if they have a 1 dollar patreon sub and get 100 subs.. that's 100 dollars a month... when i do go to patreon sites to see when thier last update was for patreons.. many have maxxed subs... some are in the 3k marks.... they also have many tiers... that being said... some modders are making better money than a blizzard employee is making.

2 hours ago, Excorsion said:

Problem with parteon... is according to the badly outdated rules advertising for mods thru a paywall which patreon is is not allowed... Many of us have voiced our opinions on what is good and bad .... like advertising 15 times on LL before posting something new on LL is bad... I say LL needs to start charging modders to advetise on thier site... 

Firgured I'd throw this out here so others can be informed

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-precarious-business-of-living-off-modding/

.anyone saying modders are not making money with patreon is lying to you... if you do the math.. if they have a 1 dollar patreon sub and get 100 subs.. that's 100 dollars a month... when i do go to patreon sites to see when thier last update was for patreons.. many have maxxed subs... some are in the 3k marks.... they also have many tiers... that being said... some modders are making better money than a blizzard employee is making.

Out of thousands of modders, most make zero money, a few make some money, and you can probably count on one hand the number that can live off of it.

So when you say "anyone saying modders are not making money with patreon is lying to you" you're technically right, as there are some that make good money. But that's true of literally any hobby or field, everyone knows it, and you don't have to point out a corner case.

4 minutes ago, Halstrom said:

Of course not everyone's goal is to make enough money from a shoe coloring mod to cruise the Mediterranean on a private boat, some of us would be happy to be able to afford a steak occasionally or a new graphics card every couple of years :P

Getting enough to pay for any tools (programs) needed would be great.  an upgrade from time to time would be nice as well. I however, personally believe most doing this won't even get that close. It is so vary rare that someone "hits the jackpot" and is able to do well or even moderately well. Some might even get so depressed as they value themselves on the patron account # and $ provided. thinking they aren't worthy if they don't make a good result. Which of course isn't the case. I hope nobody ever feels that way.

• 6 months later...
On 1/27/2017 at 9:37 PM, Rezkin said:

First of all I am against paid mods 100% or at least bethesda version of it but i also feel that modders deserve something more than thumb up for the hours and hours of work they sometimes put on their mods. and it's not fair that the ones getting money from the views and ads on the modpages are third parties while the mod authors doesn't get anything.

There 2 methods i can suggest now to any modder who wish to earn some money without people coming at him with pitchforks!

Youtube

• Create a channel for mods release only.

• Make a simple video showcasing your mod.

• Upload your mods to free file-host websites like mega or google drive.

• put the link in the description.

• Don't upload (or remove) your mods on (from) nexus or steam so the only source for your mod be your youtube video.

So once you set your adsense with your youtube account you will be earning money from the ads on your video. You can then can post your video on forums and subs like this one as [mod release] or just allow other blogs to showcase your mod but to link your youtube video for download.

Be sure to tell people to support you by whitelisting you on adblock if they have it and even though no one going to complain about 4-5 sec of ads to download a free mod and show their support don't overdo it by adding ads to the video and the download link too.

Now few questions to the moderators here... if modders decided to go on this path, Would you allow them to post on your forums if they still doesn't upload the mod here? would be it okay for modders to showcase their mods and link their youtube video so people can get the download link from there? or even like the minecraft forum do "allow direct adfly links to be used to mask real download links ?

Edited:Removed the shorten links idea

Hard to believe your mod would get the same recognition as on other site like nexus and LL, any developer should make their own fan base according to the demand they get, it's not about how popular your youtube channel get but how many endorsement you can get. I don't understand the concept of making 5 to 1000$ monthly on youtube over the years when you can triple it and more over other well known tools such as patreon.. but yet, it always depend on the making of the video, uploading your mods on youtube might help, but when it come to getting a good adsence better go with youtube demand for the views and share of it..

Archived