Converting Skyrim Hairs?

My guess is they're like adding armors but instead of adding it to the armo list, you have to add them to the hair parts.

Edit: Confirmed, I just converted one hair in less than 5 minutes

It's called philippa from here: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/7403/?

could you give small guide how to do it? I would be very grateful!

Yes, of course, I think it's pretty easy, I use outfit studio.

First you open the hair mesh in nifskope, and export it as .obj

Open outfit studio and open the .obj, scale it to 0.1 and move the z axis -120

I load the female head model and then I move the hair mesh until it properly fits. Then you take the textures and put them in the fallout textures folder.

You need to create a material file for the textures and then assign the material file in outfit studio.

Once in outfit studio again, you conform the mesh and copy bone weights using the female head as reference. Then in file, you export the .nif without reference and place it in your mesh folder.

Now the only thing left to do is open the CK and add the new hair as a head part.

I hope that helps, if you don't understand something, ask me.

I tried converting a hair and I followed your steps,but when I launch the Creation Kit and load the mesh ( when I try to add it as a head part by duplicating an existing one then replacing the .nif file) it simply freezes and crashes.

I tried using FO4Edit ,created the .esp file,then launched FO4, and the game crashed when I went into the hair menu to select the new hair.

Also, I didn't understand the "bone weights" part,and when I export the .nif file , I receive an error "Unweighted vertices"

I sound stupid , I know...but it's the first time I'm creating a mod or working with meshes.

Well couple of people have promised to make detailed step-by-step guides for us dummies, but after that been really quiet :P 

My guess is they're like adding armors but instead of adding it to the armo list, you have to add them to the hair parts.

Edit: Confirmed, I just converted one hair in less than 5 minutes

It's called philippa from here: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/7403/?

could you give small guide how to do it? I would be very grateful!

Yes, of course, I think it's pretty easy, I use outfit studio.

First you open the hair mesh in nifskope, and export it as .obj

Open outfit studio and open the .obj, scale it to 0.1 and move the z axis -120

I load the female head model and then I move the hair mesh until it properly fits. Then you take the textures and put them in the fallout textures folder.

You need to create a material file for the textures and then assign the material file in outfit studio.

Once in outfit studio again, you conform the mesh and copy bone weights using the female head as reference. Then in file, you export the .nif without reference and place it in your mesh folder.

Now the only thing left to do is open the CK and add the new hair as a head part.

I hope that helps, if you don't understand something, ask me.

I tried converting a hair and I followed your steps,but when I launch the Creation Kit and load the mesh ( when I try to add it as a head part by duplicating an existing one then replacing the .nif file) it simply freezes and crashes.

I tried using FO4Edit ,created the .esp file,then launched FO4, and the game crashed when I went into the hair menu to select the new hair.

Also, I didn't understand the "bone weights" part,and when I export the .nif file , I receive an error "Unweighted vertices"

I sound stupid , I know...but it's the first time I'm creating a mod or working with meshes.

Well couple of people have promised to make detailed step-by-step guides for us dummies, but after that been really quiet :P

True...this thread has been quiet for some time. 

I am desperate to add some new hairs,since no new hair mods have been released since last year. I got bored with Commonwealth Cuts.

It looks like those people who said they would make guides are not bored yet.

Okay,so I managed to convert three hairs,but they all show up like this. Also,I can't seem to be able to modify the hair color.

I don't know what I did wrong...

There was this on 1st page of this thread:

"Open outfit studio and open the .obj, scale it to 0.1 and move the z axis -120"

As it seems hair is just located wrong, did you do that phase?

Also as previously mentioned, hair colour stays blonde and cant be changed atm

Okay,so I managed to convert three hairs,but they all show up like this. Also,I can't seem to be able to modify the hair color.

"Open outfit studio and open the .obj, scale it to 0.1 and move the z axis -120"

I did scale it to 0.1 and move the z axis -120 ... it looks normal in Bodyslide,but it looks bad in game.

I followed the steps,then launched the game to test the hairs. They were turned upside down in game,but they were normal in Bodyslide....

post-1587599-0-47667100-1487492837_thumb.png

I did scale it to 0.1 and move the z axis -120 ... it looks normal in Bodyslide,but it looks bad in game.

I followed the steps,then launched the game to test the hairs. They were turned upside down in game,but they were normal in Bodyslide....

then nothing else than cross fingers and hope someone who has the skill would be actually willing to share it with the community :s

then nothing else than cross fingers and hope someone who has the skill would be actually willing to share it with the community :s

Yes...there is nothing we can do about it. It is strange,though.There should have been a lot of hair mods already.

I asked one of the Commonwealth Cuts converters what to do. Here are the steps:

1.Load a hair from Commonwealth Cuts,right click on it,choose the "Set reference" option

2.Load the hair you want to convert,right click on it,choose "Copy bone weights",simply click on "OK".

3.Hide the reference hair by clicking on the eye

4.Export the hair,launch NifSkope,load the hair mesh,right click on the mesh,and select mesh->face normals

I also found a solution for the hair color problem:copy and paste a material file of a Commonwealth Cuts hair (it doesn't matter what hairstyle you select),open it with Material Editor,then change the diffuse and normal textures to the ones of your selected hair.

In order for the hair not to stretch abnormally,it's best if you remove the cloth bones.

1.Load a hair from Commonwealth Cuts,right click on it,choose the "Set reference" option

2.Load the hair you want to convert,right click on it,choose "Copy bone weights",simply click on "OK".

4.Export the hair,launch NifSkope,load the hair mesh,right click on the mesh,and select mesh->face normals

I also found a solution for the hair color problem:copy and paste a material file of a Commonwealth Cuts hair (it doesn't matter what hairstyle you select),open it with Material Editor,then change the diffuse and normal textures to the ones of your selected hair.

In order for the hair not to stretch abnormally,it's best if you remove the cloth bones.

Glad you got it working, but without detailed guide it is simply impossible to follow steps mentioned here :D

stuff like CK and loading the head mesh model (still dont know from where), where you put Skyrim hair mesh/esp/texture files and what you use, do you put them in fallout 4 data folder and what you do after that, outfit studio+Nifskope are more familiar to me.

Glad you got it working, but without detailed guide it is simply impossible to follow steps mentioned here :D

stuff like CK and loading the head mesh model (still dont know from where), where you put Skyrim hair mesh/esp/texture files and what you use, do you put them in fallout 4 data folder and what you do after that, outfit studio+Nifskope are more familiar to me.

You can also use FO4Edit,it's much easier to use than the CK. Do you know how to use it?

Also,you cannot simply place the Skyrim meshes in the Fallout 4 data folder.You have to modify them to match the Fallout 4 head model.Not the .esp either,because it requires the Skyrim.esm. You have to create a new .esp from scratch (FO4Edit,if you want no struggles).In order to do that,you have to select Fallout4.esm as a master.If multiple .esp files are already selected,right click and choose "Select None",then check Fallout4.esm,which is the Fallout 4 master file.

You can follow Acies33's guide up to the "Bone weights" part.

From there,I explained what you have to do in my latest post. What part of the guide don't you understand? I can explain it to you.

About the .esp creation part,I sent you two screenshots and in the second one,I underlined what you have to modify .

For example,the FULL-Name part should be modified to match the name you gave to your hair.

MODL-Filename > you have to introduce the .nif file of the hair you converted

DATA-Flags>depends if your hair is for males or females

post-1587599-0-10854500-1487609177_thumb.png

post-1587599-0-99460000-1487609183_thumb.png

• 4 weeks later...

A bit unfortunate that a tutorial wasn't provided. Luckily for me I know how to mess around with the CK and Outfit Studio. I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread as converting hairs seems easier than I thought. What exactly are the questions that people have?

EDIT: Im in the process of converting a hair pack from Skyrim (Hepsy Hairs, I already received permission from Hepsy himself). If I can, I can write up the tutorial since the other guy bailed out. It'll probably be done within two weeks. Are people still interested? Taking screenshots and writing instructions are tedious so if people aren't interested in the tutorial then I won't even bother. The tutorial will be specific to the Creation Kit, Nifskope, and Outfit Studio.

A bit unfortunate that a tutorial wasn't provided. Luckily for me I know how to mess around with the CK and Outfit Studio. I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread as converting hairs seems easier than I thought. What exactly are the questions that people have?

EDIT: Im in the process of converting a hair pack from Skyrim (Hepsy Hairs, I already received permission from Hepsy himself). If I can, I can write up the tutorial since the other guy bailed out. It'll probably be done within two weeks. Are people still interested? Taking screenshots and writing instructions are tedious so if people aren't interested in the tutorial then I won't even bother. The tutorial will be specific to the Creation Kit, Nifskope, and Outfit Studio.

I'd be interested ma'am :). Been waiting for a tutorial since forever, but I have a friend that usually converts them for me, okay more like someone who is nice enough to do it.

Even if the demand is low, you would be doing the community a favor, since tutorials ranging from anything to everything are already out, and sometimes tutorials on the same thing from different authors as well, but no one has done a tutorial on how to convert hairs.

I'd be interested ma'am :). Been waiting for a tutorial since forever, but I have a friend that usually converts them for me, okay more like someone who is nice enough to do it.

Even if the demand is low, you would be doing the community a favor, since tutorials ranging from anything to everything are already out, and sometimes tutorials on the same thing from different authors as well, but no one has done a tutorial on how to convert hairs.

Great! I'll be troubleshooting a lot to see what works best and what doesn't. But it I can give back to the community then I will go ahead and do it. I wouldn't want FO4 to slowly die out. I'll have something in two weeks. I can only play the weekends and I also have my personal mods to update and stuff :P

Great! I'll be troubleshooting a lot to see what works best and what doesn't. But it I can give back to the community then I will go ahead and do it. I wouldn't want FO4 to slowly die out. I'll have something in two weeks. I can only play the weekends and I also have my personal mods to update and stuff :P

I'm looking forward to it too, thanks! :). Oh and a big fan of your sun's poses mod.

I'm looking forward to it too, thanks! :). Oh and a big fan of your sun's poses mod.

Thank you thank you :)

Don't worry I won't bail on you guys. And IF I decide not to go through with it I'll also let you know but I'm a believer of sharing is caring and spreading all the knowledge around. Maybe we'll see a lot more decent hairs.

Thank you thank you :)

Don't worry I won't bail on you guys. And IF I decide not to go through with it I'll also let you know but I'm a believer of sharing is caring and spreading all the knowledge around. Maybe we'll see a lot more decent hairs.

Thanks, Sun Jeong.

I'd be interested  for my personal modded character.  I would be very grateful if you did a detailed tutorial. 

thanks,

~b

Hey guys, still trying to find the time for it. This upcoming weekend I will be working on my second pose mod and THEN I will be doing a conversion of the Hepsy Hairs from Skyrim. I will be using that time to make the tutorial, thanks for the patience!

Hey guys, still trying to find the time for it. This upcoming weekend I will be working on my second pose mod and THEN I will be doing a conversion of the Hepsy Hairs from Skyrim. I will be using that time to make the tutorial, thanks for the patience!

Many thanks!

Okay I have about 33% of the tutorial done. Taking screenshots of all the steps I think are necessary and I hope I didn't miss anything. I'll also be including a list of required programs (pretty much just Nifskope, Body Slide, Blender, and the Creation Kit).

I think the tutorial will come out rather nicely! Here's a small preview to show you guys. Keep in mind that this tutorial is being written for those that are absolute beginners to modding pretty much. What I won't be explaining is how to install the programs and plugins (I dont think they require plugins) necessary and I will assume they will have basic knowledge of their Fallout 4 installation folder and stuff. 

I will condense all the images into one PDF file for better viewing and to keep it clean.

Be patient friends :) I'm working on many things as well. If any of you are following me you'll know that I'm also working on clothing conversions and another pose mod. So I apologies for the delay. Also, English is my second language so excuse the grammar, run-ons, mispellings, and everything.

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Step 4

Step 5

Step 6

Step 6a

Step 7

Okay I have about 33% of the tutorial done. Taking screenshots of all the steps I think are necessary and I hope I didn't miss anything. I'll also be including a list of required programs (pretty much just Nifskope, Body Slide, Blender, and the Creation Kit).

Thanks a lot, tutorial seems simple enough to follow. I presume only things missing atm are just creating correct file-folders in fallout 4 and making esp-file?

Thanks a lot, tutorial seems simple enough to follow. I presume only things missing atm are just creating correct file-folders in fallout 4 and making esp-file?

Yes so to make a long story short we'll have to make a folder to store our competed meshes, a folder to put our textures, and a folder for our material files. Ah that reminds me that you'll need another piece of software....the material editor.

But anyway after that just two more steps in outfit studio and then the rest (and the most complicated part) is setting up the hairs in the creation kit so that they show up in game.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it's taking a while been juggling the developements of many mods. Also, the hair I'm converting has 31 hairstyles so that's taking a while too.

I haven't forgotten you guys <3

Any news? I tried porting some hairs and made them change colors in Character Creation the only problem i found was that they would stretch to infinity in game.

They are stretching because you may have no assigned bone weights correctly.

1. Load the hair nif file in outfit studio

2. Load the female head nif and set it as the reference

3. Select the hair mesh and copy bone weights

4. Go to Slider > Conform All

5. Right click on the mesh, and the mask weighted vertices

6. Anything that is highlighted white is lacking bone weights

7. Go to the bones tab and choose the closest bone and use the brush to paint it, it should be painting blue

8. When you are finished, right click the mesh and again choose mask weighted vertices

9. Save your work. And you're done :)