How do you add new code to existing without direct edits? Callback?

"Yeah, it's me again.  Wanna make something of it?"  - Batman (In a Phone booth and very annoyed -  in a Harlan Ellison story)

So this is more technical insofar as just writing the code.

I've seen some very entertaining mods.  And I can put two-and-two together how scripts can call upon one another and how the code itself works.  But when one makes a new script which is designed to interact with an existing system, I have to wonder how it was made to add new features without rewriting something that already exists.

It is hard to choose an example given the number of complex mods out there, and I do not wish to get over my head.   But it's like....   The LoversBitch system adds new material to the sex act so dogs have extra messages woven in, showing if the NPC becomes knotted, or released, and then there's the extended orgasm act.

Now I'm not expecting a dialog on how THAT managed to be added (though I would be interested).  But I would appreciate an explanation on how to 'properly' add new code to to the scripts and functions that are within an already existing mod.

I have seen other languages use tricks to add new code.  Within a language known as Ruby, the trick is with a command called alias.  But that's apparently not available here.  I am thinking it has something to do with the phrase 'callback', as I've seen it time and again, but haven't discerned how it is truly used.

-LDD

What I know about scripting wouldn't be dangerous to a wet paper bag.  I don't know you have seen this, but this is the wiki for the original Lovers with PK:  http://seesaawiki.jp/w/oblivion_jp/d/Lovers%b3%ab%c8%af%bc%d4%b8%fe%a4%b1%bb%f1%ce%c1#LoversSystemDiagram

Hit the translate button in google and see if there is anything that helps.  That is the best I can do to help unfortunately.  The closest thing we had to a scripting guru lately was WappyOne.  However he hasn't been active on the forum for over a year.

Yech.    It gives thanks to who helped with call backs and I believe the thread link so mentioned somehow got replaced by the word 'thread' itself (no links to how to use callbacks... dangit).

So no luck.   The hunt to figure out how to attach code without direct edits still..........

It did allow me to see a list of current mods that were available.  Nearly all of them in here, exceptions being LoversGroupSex1.esp (hey, threesomes!) and LoversCreatureVoiceForceEnabler.esp (I'm working on my own).  Pity the list didn't have working links to the mods we do NOT have... well, for the mostpart. 

You might find this of interest.

(In English)

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fseesaawiki.jp%2Fw%2Foblivion_jp%2Fd%2FLovers%25B3%25AB%25C8%25AF%25BC%25D4%25B8%25FE%25A4%25B1%25BB%25F1%25CE%25C1%23LoversSystemDiagram&edit-text=&act=url

(In Japanese)

http://seesaawiki.jp/w/oblivion_jp/d/Lovers%b4%d8%cf%a2MOD%b0%ec%cd%f7

There are no mod working mods (beside the voice enabler) that have not been translated.  The lovers group mod is a threesome, but it works off of duplicating one of the actors.  So it isn't exactly lore friendly and I'm not sure that it is all that stable.  There is a link to an english version somewhere here on LL.

The mods that the working links are absent are things that don't work with the current version of lovers as far as I am aware.  Many of those obsolete mods are still in our download section, but are marked as obsolete.  

The only thing I know for sure that was never translated was a lovers voice ghn (and several others like it).  After taking a look at it, it was decided it just wan't worth the time to mess with.

For that matter, the mods on this site are far more advanced than most of those listed on the Japanese site.  We made several improvements to Rev96 of lovers, and that was before the complete overhaul of the LAPF.  The animations listed there are light years behind where we are.  Tamago is another one that Movomo and several others have VASTLY improved over the original versions.  Lovers creatures 2.0 greatly improved what they have and they don't have WappyOnes RaperS upgrade.  So all in all, the mods there are a nice archive for old stuff, but LL really is where the latest versions are.  For English anyway.

i think if you open up lovers with pk itself it should show you how to do this part. you will have to dig into the code itself but lover with pk is using allot of callbacks already that is why it is capable of using so many scripts itself. The major thing i still remember you need to declare int etc.. have not done any scripting in years so i am bit rusty now. 

I used to script allot in the past but that was long ago. 

I haven't figured out "YET' how to do proper callbacks to attach code in the manner I wish.  It seriously DOES involve callbacks though.  I have seen callback commands that require (flag, script name,  offender, defender).  But it might be problematic if what I wish to attach isn't one of the scripts that use the four.

COMICALLY!!!!....  I figured out how to 'possibly' add more data to Hiyoko children.

The last part of the quest script for  LoversSlaveTrader had about five lines of code which   (1) checked to see if Hiyoko was loaded,  (2) made sure a specific callback / code-attacher from Hiyoko was present, (3) uses the Hiyoko callback system (via a reference) to add new 'slave tokens' to the kids if they're borne slaves and (4) uses the Hiyoko callback to remove the tokens if the kids die.

Oh, one can have so much fun using the scripts that add and remove tokens as examples.... Hehehe... 

THAT won't require direct edits :)

Archived