A request for Forum Admin (about Requests / Finding mods)

ChaosZen

Please consider creating a forum topic area or two (non-adult, and adult), for Mod and mod-making information requests. Currently, most topics posted which even remotely sound like any sort of request get locked and the user directed to repost as a reply in "Mod Requests" topics which have more than 480 full pages of unrelated replies, which cause even the most useful information or worthwhile ideas to quickly become buried under hundreds of unrelated and often trivial custom item/clothing requests.

What I would imagine to be much more productive, as well as encouraging new mod makers, would be if these sort of things could go to a topic area, instead of a single recycled topic, so that those which show promise or are worth developing have a chance to work out ideas, advice, suggestions and possibly even be the start of actual mods. The current practice of the single over-bloated topic discourages mod makers from wanting to waste time wading through item and outfit requests which so experienced makers never see the requests, while those wanting to learn how to make mods get their questions and ideas buried into obscurity, and questions never seen by anybody who may know how to help them get started. 

Allowing mod ideas to be their own topics, could also serve for the very replies and conversations to become a "work in progress", and more likely to evolve not only into new mods, but to also lead to new mod authors. Allowing it to be a topic area, instead of a single topic would allow those with low interest or appeal to fade away over time when receiving no new replies, while those which show interest have a chance to rise to the top. I sincerely feel this would improve the community overall, just by it's potential to help teach and encourage new mod authors.

indeed, things don't seem to be as productive since they started forcing everyone to use them.

edit1: and there have been plenty of times i had a answer to something but the topic got locked before i could hit "submit"

edit2: here is a example of a Request (from before they started locking everything) that turned into something:

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/12952-anthro-shark-race-female-pictures-included-d-req/

http://www.loverslab.com/files/file/2617-sharkmer/

http://www.loverslab.com/files/file/3368-sharkmer-race-v275-unpcbbesos/

Requests often lead to discussions. Keeping these discussions separated from each other is the core responsibility of a forum (as opposed to, for example, a mailing list). Throwing everything in one thread is certainly less than ideal.

I vote for a subforum for mod requests as well.

Count me in for this, I think it would help a lot with requests.

Following the example posted by MadMansGun (thank you very much for the shout out, BTW! :lol:), the whole reason I was able to overhaul the Shark Race and release it was that AyyRoflLmao created the original version in the first place. And how did they end up creating it? Well, somebody posted a WIP Shark head mesh resource in the Anthro Shark Race thread, and they were like, "okay, I'm going to give this a shot". And so they did. That would most certainly not have happened if the original thread had been closed and pointed to the generic Requests thread. All we would have right now would be a post from 4 years ago buried deep within the Requests thread that would have gone completely unnoticed.

This was just one lucky case, but I'm sure there are plenty of requests right now that will be ignored or lost because they get buried in the thread, even if they happened to be feasible. Having a "Requests" sub-forum would make it easier for modders to browse through the requests to see if they find something they would be willing to do/help with. Also discussing the actual request/idea, as previously mentioned. So, I fully support this idea.

This has actually been discussed among the moderating staff and the Boss (Ashal) and "may" happen in the not too distant future.  

Just so everyone is clear, we are currently pushing ALL requests and searches into the one thread per game so that they don't drown all the normal topics.  Imagine 480 pages worth of "PLEASE MAKE ME THIS" or "WHERE DO I FIND XYZ" topics and quite quickly you kill every other topic in every game section forum wide.  About 5% of requests ever get fulfilled, so it just didn't make sense not to shuffle them off to a place we could constrain them and keep the forum open for everything that gets discussed.  

We'll keep you posted.  Please be patient,  Ashal has a lot on his plate and normal server maintenance and other admin duties must come first.

Moving thread to general discussion area.

This has actually been discussed among the moderating staff and the Boss (Ashal) and "may" happen in the not too distant future.  

Just so everyone is clear, we are currently pushing ALL requests and searches into the one thread per game so that they don't drown all the normal topics.  Imagine 480 pages worth of "PLEASE MAKE ME THIS" or "WHERE DO I FIND XYZ" topics and quite quickly you kill every other topic in every game section forum wide.  About 5% of requests ever get fulfilled, so it just didn't make sense not to shuffle them off to a place we could constrain them and keep the forum open for everything that gets discussed.  

We'll keep you posted.  Please be patient,  Ashal has a lot on his plate and normal server maintenance and other admin duties must come first.

Moving thread to general discussion area.

Thanks for the update. I can see your point, I expect a lot of topics that will be dead after 1 or 2 posts as well. However, if that happens in a dedicated subforum, then there's little harm in that. And if only 5% of all requests lead to a good discussion or even a new mod, then hey, I'd say that's worth it.

Currently, there's no real way for anyone to tell which mods are currently not existing and are really wanted by the community. In the best case, a subforum will lead to the formation of "interest groups" and spawn new mods in those areas (e.g. the shark race mod). A general "mod request" thread is just too cluttered to really make that happen.

Would there be any way to add a prefix filter kinda like what ULMF has? Like [Completed], [incomplete] or [Request], or whatever seems more intuitive so people can tell whether the request has been fulfilled or not at a glance, or whether someone is working on it. 

at least change the rule then posting the wrong forum wil get you blocked for a week.. :P doing it again permanant ban. 

that's NOT a good idea, there are a lot of users on this website that:

1. don't speak English and will post in the wrong sub forums unknowingly.

2. are new to the site and don't know where they should be posting there questions.

3. have a topic that could apply to multiple sub forums. (note: the topic your in now was moved from another sub forum)

4. accidentally posted in the wrong forum because they were looking at the wrong tab in there web browser.

edit: and this is a bit off topic, on some websites that would get both you and me banned.

creating a sub forum will not solve this even if sub forum is created people will still keep making these posts on different forum section. Then what ? 

point 1 to 4 are still poor excuses..

1: not speaking well there are tools you can use to translate.

2: Are new to the site still poor because if you are new you will need to read more rather then posting something.

3: That person posted the same topic on 3 different forum section. still a user posted in his thread where he should post and he still created 2 new of the same posts in wrong section again because he did not get an answer quick enough.

4: That was not accidental that is why i posted that.

That is why posted blocking him for a week will give him/her enough time to read the rules again on how to posts on the forum i know it may sound strict but you guys are always nagging about why the posts are closed because there is already a section avaiable for it. and now you want a new section created that will still not solve this problem. But even make it worse.

edit: and this is a bit off topic, on some websites that would get both you and me banned.

Not really This poster wanted a discussion now he got it.  There are pros and cons when doing what he wanted we are just pointing them out.

creating a sub forum will not solve this even if sub forum is created people will still keep making these posts on different forum section. Then what ? 

2: Are new to the site still poor because if you are new you will need to read more rather then posting something.

3: That person posted the same topic on 3 different forum section. still a user posted in his thread where he should post and he still created 2 new of the same posts in wrong section again because he did not get an answer quick enough.

That is why posted blocking him for a week will give him/her enough time to read the rules again on how to posts on the forum i know it may sound strict but you guys are always nagging about why the posts are closed because there is already a section avaiable for it. and now you want a new section created that will still not solve this problem. But even make it worse.

Not really This poster wanted a discussion now he got it.  There are pros and cons when doing what he wanted we are just pointing them out.

1. have you tried using those tools? they all suck at there job.

2. everyone fucks up at first, everyone, so its a valid excuse, if you claim that you don't then you're just lying to yourself.

3. i have only seen this one copy, i did not know of any of the others, but i was not just referring to this one user or topic.

4. i was not talking about you (and where did you get that idea from?), i was talking about all the edited "oops wrong sub forum" posts i have seen on all websites.

Im with D_man on this. Everyone one makes mistakes but catering to idiots will only create more of them. Not speaking english is their chocie and its not our repsponsibility to make rules around their lazyness. This is an english speaking forum and most of the internet is writen in english aswell, faster they realize that some doors are closed to them the better. I never studied english wich is evident by the way i write, yet it i can somewhat use it on comunicative level.

so I cam finally haz me gladiator sex mod? weeeeee!!

seriously though, most people here especially the new ones don't bother reading the appropriate sections and sticky threads and jump straight on the requests section and ask away...in pidgin English I might add...yes it is a language not a measure of intelligence but if majority of the people in a forum is speaking in a language then the people should try to follow suit (unless there are people here who know their language) so their queries can be quickly and effectively answered...

It's like most of the new people here came from that youtube channel full of Russians and get directed here for "ze zex mods and to rush B-lyat!!"...^^ no offense to the Slavic community of course...

also what equates to a "good" request worthy of being noticed and discussed more?

do we need a 10 page essay to explain the idea or concept of said request?

or just something that doesn't look like "can I habe de pussi mod baws?"

so I cam finally haz me gladiator sex mod? weeeeee!!

also what equates to a "good" request worthy of being noticed and discussed more?

do we need a 10 page essay to explain the idea or concept of said request?

or just something that doesn't look like "can I habe de pussi mod baws?"

With a sub-forum area, even a simple one sentence idea could be regarded a "good idea" by others who wish for the same idea. A request or idea which gets notice or attention, or potentially could grow into a new mod, would be any which get productive replies, or people offering suggestions or work toward a working result from the suggestion. Whether something is "worthy" or not, would be judged by those who read, respond, support, or contribute actual scripting or assets toward, judged by the forum readers and contributors themselves.

In the case of vague and ambiguous requests such as, "can I habe de pussi mod baws?", what I imagine would happen, would be that somebody may, or may not respond with a link to perhaps a Sexlab main topic, or a list of suitable existing mods, and then when no other replies for a week or more, it will fade away from view, as more interesting topics receive more responses. I would not even mind if message pruning would be set to automatically delete topics in such a subforum if no replies for more than 30 days. Any mod idea that inspires development, would likely have numerous responses on a regular basis, easily within that time period.

Well good for us you're not moderator or have any power in this forum... what a mess.... Banning someone without telling them why are they being banned > will make this person simply create another account and do the same again or just leave the forum. Also by your logic you're saying when they get banned they will get the warning then and read the rules ...so why ban at the first place when a moderator can just lock or move the topic and warn the user who created it? most people who make wrong topic here at the forum doesn't do it again after being told where they can ask what they asking for... punishing someone with a week or even a day for a simple mistake is just power abuse.

Well good for us you're not moderator or have any power in this forum... what a mess.... Banning someone without telling them why are they being banned > will make this person simply create another account and do the same again or just leave the forum. Also by your logic you're saying when they get banned they will get the warning then and read the rules ...so why ban at the first place when a moderator can just lock the topic and warn the user who created it? most people who make wrong topic here at the forum doesn't do it again after being told where they can ask what they asking for... punishing someone with a week or even a day for a simple mistake is just power abuse.

Agreed. I too think it would be unproductive or counterproductive in many instances. In fact, if it were so easy for people to be banned for a simple mistake, I'd be banned already myself, if not for the one time I thought I was in a specific forum area when making a new post only to find later that it had posted to the overall, global "General" forum topic area, then at the least, on any of the few occasions where I had tried finding information on "Console Commands", "Global Variables", and what scripting syntax were available in SKSE and/or Papyrus, to learn how to make mods, simply because at that time, I did not know the proper terminology, what subjects to look for, and the resulting wording sounding like something more suitable to "Mod Requests" or "What Mod is This" in the eyes of forum moderators.

That is actually the primary reason I had posted this topic. Before puting the original post to type, I had been a bit silent for several weeks, having little hope of finding useful answers at LoversLab, because those who are able to follow a 480+ page topic did not have the experience or answers needed. Regardless of any pros or cons, or the comments from some about why it would not be a 100% solution, having it's own forum area would also serve to give moderators a destination to move posts to, instead of locking and having to explain to each user which topics it should be asked in. The way I see it, it would offer a more structured and encouraging method to handle those topics, while requiring less work and fewer steps, and still allowing for replies to be offered if the post is of interest, or within the scope of knowledge of any who read it. 

I agree translators suck ass at least the free ones do I don't know about one that cost money. They work to usually get you from point A to point B but it's usually never in a straight line and it never really helps the ones that have low knowledge on whatever langue the person is trying to translate. Hell there have been many times where I was sitting there scratching my head trying to understand what something meant after translating.

Many people don't get the files they find from LL which is probably why Skifunk posted where they posted hell if you read they didn't even know where it was so it's a pretty high chance they never got the file from here but instead got it from somewhere else that uploaded the modders files somewhere which are usually older outdated and broken versions. This is one of the reasons why many modders do not like to have their stuff posted all over the place as it causes them as well as others more work trying to help someone that is using a older version to get it working right.

at least change the rule then posting the wrong forum wil get you blocked for a week.. :P doing it again permanant ban.

Banning for something like that: never. We hardly ever ban people, not even for being complete dicks.

Post-restriction for it: meh, that means us purples'll actually have to do it. Got bigger fish to fry, like making mods n' stuff.

Im with D_man on this. Everyone one makes mistakes but catering to idiots will only create more of them. Not speaking english is their chocie and its not our repsponsibility to make rules around their lazyness. This is an english speaking forum and most of the internet is writen in english aswell, faster they realize that some doors are closed to them the better. I never studied english wich is evident by the way i write, yet it i can somewhat use it on comunicative level.

but "catering to idiots" is the only way you can educate them into non idiots, what do you think schools are doing? catering to smart people? and how is "not speaking English" their choice? that's like saying its someones fault for being born with a peanut allergy and not supplying them with Epipens.

English is fucking hard to learn if you don't already know it:

https://www.oxford-royale.co.uk/articles/learning-english-hard.html

"I decided to desert my dessert in the desert"

"fuck the fucking fuckers and lets just fuck like the fuckers we are"

most of the mods that are found on LoversLab are only available on LoversLab, so they don't have any choice but to come here if they want SexLab, SL Animation Loader, More Nasty Critters and the Creature Framework.

You can do that in the topic header.

I meant more like a restricted tag system that you can filter like ULMF's, mainly so you can search and filter threads without having to search through multiple completely different variations and acronyms of the same thing.

Archived