CK2 Modding: Event override Question

Kiara

Hi there folks, I have a short question about event modding, which I couldn't really find an answer for on the wiki and in the forums. I'm currently writing an submod to an existing, much larger mod, introducing a few new event chains and/or additional options. Naturally I don't want to change those events in the original mods code, nor do I want to copy the code an do a total file overwrite for just a few changes. So I declared the extended event in my files, gave them the same id and namespace as the original, since the wiki said, those would be merged. But if I fire the event, the game always chooses the one of the original mod. My follow up events all work (console tested, and clear in validator, exept for the obvious duplicate ID). Of course my submod has the original as a dependency stated in the .mod file. Can someone please explain, how the merge and overwriting works in detail, when and how overwrites which event what?

Its less about the total mod file size and more about overriding a core file that then another mod may also provide and cause mod conflicts that way.

Depending on what you want to mod/add, some files "append" to existing code rather than override, so theres that to consider as well.  Events though, usually are of the override kind unless you code an entire custom event trigger/chain/etc.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived