Problem with TES5Edit

Sneaksmile

Okay, actually it is not a problem ... I just need some wisdom from the experts!   :)

Then ... I want this mod   http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/52612/?   BUT my version of TES5Edit it's old, I have tried to install the necessary patch with my old version of TES5Edit but it does not work ... I need the new version. But I have readed in the official page of TES5Edit that when a new version of the program is installed ... it is necessary to restore the original dirty plugins and clean again all the plugins already cleaned with the old version or nothing of the new program will work ... so, it's that true? because it sounds hellish!   :(

Okay, actually it is not a problem ... I just need some wisdom from the experts!   :)

Then ... I want this mod   http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/52612/?   BUT my version of TES5Edit it's old, I have tried to install the necessary patch with my old version of TES5Edit but it does not work ... I need the new version. But I have readed in the official page of TES5Edit that when a new version of the program is installed ... it is necessary to restore the original dirty plugins and clean again all the plugins already cleaned with the old version or nothing of the new program will work ... so, it's that true? because it sounds hellish!   :(

No way you have to restore the plugins and re clean them.

No way ... yes? or No way ... not?  yes or not? 

You're fine with getting the new version.

This is from Tes5edit nexus page:

Cleaning Plugins and official DLC when a new version of TES5Edit is released:

It is not always necessary to clean all your plugins every time a new version of TES5Edit is released. More often then not an ITM does not cause Skyrim to crash. What can lead to crashes are deleted references which are resolved as part of the cleaning process when you choose "Undelete and Disable References". It is still important to remove "Identical to Master" records for a more stable game but not as vital to eliminating crashes. The other causes for crashes are corrupt plugins, poorly written and managed scripts, and missing files required by the plugin. If Skyrim is working for you leave things the way they are. It's not really required unless we make some major update in the cleaning process. If you feel you must clean the official Bethesda ESM files then restore any backups you have. However, it is much more reliable to use the Verify Cache feature from Steam.

In my experience one does NOT need to restore the old plugins and re-clean them when updating TES5Edit.  That would be hellish.  One certainly could do so, but it is not necessary.

However, the latest version of TES5Edit is 3.2 and Real Shelter will not run with it, looking for a version of at least 3.1 or greater but not recognizing that 3.2 is greater.  The only way I could get Real Shelter to run was to revert to TES5Edit 3.1.3.

FWIW

In my experience one does NOT need to restore the old plugins and re-clean them when updating TES5Edit.  That would be hellish.  One certainly could do so, but it is not necessary.

However, the latest version of TES5Edit is 3.2 and Real Shelter will not run with it, looking for a version of at least 3.1 or greater but not recognizing that 3.2 is greater.  The only way I could get Real Shelter to run was to revert to TES5Edit 3.1.3.

FWIW

Oh! that's very good info! thanks! 

You're fine with getting the new version.

This is from Tes5edit nexus page:

Cleaning Plugins and official DLC when a new version of TES5Edit is released:

It is not always necessary to clean all your plugins every time a new version of TES5Edit is released. More often then not an ITM does not cause Skyrim to crash. What can lead to crashes are deleted references which are resolved as part of the cleaning process when you choose "Undelete and Disable References". It is still important to remove "Identical to Master" records for a more stable game but not as vital to eliminating crashes. The other causes for crashes are corrupt plugins, poorly written and managed scripts, and missing files required by the plugin. If Skyrim is working for you leave things the way they are. It's not really required unless we make some major update in the cleaning process. If you feel you must clean the official Bethesda ESM files then restore any backups you have. However, it is much more reliable to use the Verify Cache feature from Steam.

Then why did they write in the main page that the plugins should be restored and cleaned again? Just as a suggestion? If a plugin is corrupted or dirty is Loot who mentions it, not? 

Then why did they write in the main page that the plugins should be restored and cleaned again? Just as a suggestion? If a plugin is corrupted or dirty is Loot who mentions it, not? 

They mean it's better to have the original file if you still want to clean with the new version instead of cleaning the previously cleaned ones, not that you absolutely have to clean it.

Anyways patching the mod with a new version of xEdit won't affect your other mods at all, You can even run more versions of xEdit at once.

LOOT just compares the CRC of the plugin with the CRC in their data base, if it's the same, they know if it's clean or not according to the data base. However LOOT actually has no idea about the plugin if the CRC doesn't match, it can even be a dummy file and LOOT clears it assuming it was cleaned since it has a different CRC.

They mean it's better to have the original file if you still want to clean with the new version instead of cleaning the previously cleaned ones, not that you absolutely have to clean it.

Anyways patching the mod with a new version of xEdit won't affect your other mods at all, You can even run more versions of xEdit at once.

LOOT just compares the CRC of the plugin with the CRC in their data base, if it's the same, they know if it's clean or not according to the data base. However LOOT actually has no idea about the plugin if the CRC doesn't match, it can even be a dummy file and LOOT clears it assuming it was cleaned since it has a different CRC.

Oh! I do not understand very good what you said about Loot, I'm not an expert girl in this kind of things. But all the dirty mods that I have cleaned up is because Loot warned me. 

I think ... I understand what you say about TES5Edit, do you mean that they suggest that it might be more effective to clean a mod with a new version of the program even when the mod is already clean? But if it is already clean and the game works well there is no need to clean it again. That's what they refer to?

Hey dear! I do not remember how I have installed TES5Edit but I think you have right, it's an independient program! 

Oh! I do not understand very good what you said about Loot, I'm not an expert girl in this kind of things. But all the dirty mods that I have cleaned up is because Loot warned me. 

I think ... I understand what you say about TES5Edit, do you mean that they suggest that it might be more effective to clean a mod with a new version of the program even when the mod is already clean? But if it is already clean and the game works well there is no need to clean it again? That's what they refer to?

LOOT knows if a plugin is dirty or not only if it was never modified (the CRC matches the data base).

For example if a plugin that is known to be dirty by LOOT gets corrupted (it's CRC changes), LOOT assumes you cleaned it. So even if what you actually have is a broken dirty .esp file, LOOT will say that you're all good.

Or if you use xEdit to change something in a dirty plugin, the CRC changes and LOOT assumes you cleaned it.

Bottom line: LOOT doesn't have a data base of CRCs from "cleaned plugins" so it doesn't know what CRC should match if the plugin is cleaned, probably because the cleaning method changes with xEdit updates so the files will sometimes be different.

Hey dear! I do not remember how I have installed TES5Edit but I think you have right, it's an independient program! 

Yeah, just a zipped archive you can extract and use as many as you want.

I think ... I understand what you say about TES5Edit, do you mean that they suggest that it might be more effective to clean a mod with a new version of the program even when the mod is already clean? But if it is already clean and the game works well there is no need to clean it again? That's what they refer to?

LOOT knows if a plugin is dirty or not only if it was never modified (the CRC matches the data base).

For example if a plugin that is known to be dirty by LOOT gets corrupted (it's CRC changes), LOOT assumes you cleaned it. So even if what you actually have is a broken dirty .esp file, LOOT will say that you're all good.

Or if you use xEdit to change something in a dirty plugin, the CRC changes and LOOT assumes you cleaned it.

Bottom line: LOOT doesn't have a data base of CRCs from "cleaned plugins" so it doesn't know what CRC should match if the plugin is cleaned, probably because the cleaning method changes with xEdit updates so the files will sometimes be different.

Yeah, just a zipped archive you can extract and use as many as you want.

Do you say that I should absolutely clean all my mods because Loot could tell lies?  :o

I will try to install Real Shelter with the info that I have now. I love the people in LoversLab and I hate the people in Nexus, that's for sure!    :heart:        

You won the solution to the question, and thanks also to Rynnes for the warning!    

Do you say that I should absolutely clean all my mods because Loot could tell lies?  :o

I will try to install Real Shelter with the info that I have now. I love the people in LoversLab and I hate the people in Nexus, that's for sure!    :heart:        

You won the solution to the answer, and thanks also to Rynnes for the warning!    

LOOT absolutely knows when a plugin needs cleaning, but it can't tell if a plugin is clean, if that makes sense. It only knows if it's modified or not. If a plugin is modified, LOOT automatically assumes it's clean, even if it's not.

LOOT absolutely knows when a plugin needs cleaning, but it can't tell if a plugin is clean, if that makes sense. It only knows if it's modified or not. If a plugin is modified, LOOT automatically assumes it's clean, even if it's not.

Hmmm ... that's bad? I should clean all my mods, right?

Not if you cleaned them already. If you install a new mod and LOOT says you should clean it, do it. That's the best practice: install a mod, run LOOT and clean if necessary.

If you're gonna re install and clean each mod every time you update Tes5Edit or LOOT you never get to actually play the game.

Don't be so paranoid about cleaning mods, the benefits aren't so big. You'll still crash even with clean mods.

Also some mods shouldn't be cleaned even if LOOT says you should clean them, always read the readmes carefully when getting mods.

Not if you cleaned them already. If you install a new mod and LOOT says you should clean it, do it. That's the best practice: install a mod, run LOOT and clean if necessary.

If you're gonna re install and clean each mod every time you update Tes5Edit or LOOT you never get to actually play the game.

Don't be so paranoid about cleaning mods, the benefits aren't so big. You'll still crash even with clean mods.

Also some mods shouldn't be cleaned even if LOOT says you should clean them, always read the readmes carefully when getting mods.

I'm not paranoid but I like to learn. And if what you say is the correct way to act ... it is what I have always done, just clean the mods that Loot points out as dirty, nothing more.

Thanks for the help   :)

I'm not paranoid but I like to learn. And if what you say is the correct way to act ... it is what I have always done, just clean the mods that Loot points out as dirty, nothing more.

My pleasure!

My pleasure!

:heart:

Archived