Patreon is a reliable website for supporting creators?

Hello

There's somes peoples who's making awesomes adults games (rpg maker, unity3d etc), as i'm news on Patreon and european also. I'd like to know if Patreon is a safe place about payments and security please?

Patreon is pretty good and I've found their user support to be top-notch. By now they're a well-established company so in terms of security I'd expect them to be at a similar level to sites like Kickstarter.

As for euros, I'm pretty sure they'll accept them. They certainly accept my UK card and if they'll take pounds then euros should be fine.

Patreon itself is pretty good and I haven't had any problems so far when it comes to payment. Euros work fine.

There are a few things you should be aware of when it comes to content, though:

- Keep in mind that most of the games provided via Patreon are still in development!

- Always read the descriptions carefully (a huge list of features doesn't mean they're all implemented yet)

- Unless you have more than enough money, start with small donations and wait for a few updates until you're sure it's worth spending more money

- The makers behind these games are people like you and me, meaning if they have an accident or other real life issues there might be no updates at all. 

On a personal note:

For a professionally made computer game, you are usually paying between 50 and 60 Euros at release. The subscription fee for most of the larger MMOs out there is around 15$ per month. If I were to donate 30$ per month for an adult game it would have to be exceptionally good. On the other hand, most of the Patreon games are essentially free. That is if you're willing to wait a little longer. This is probably not the best comparison but it helps me to decide if want to donate or not.

After i can still cancelling the pledge if i'm disappointed.

I mean cancelling the recurring payment.

As was said, yes.  Also, make sure to keep track of what is updated / released in a month to make sure that you're actually getting what was promised, and that what you get is actually worth the money.

Also, check what the payment type is for a given patreon.  It can be monthly, per update, and a couple of others (I think).  If it's per update / release make sure to put an overall monthly limit on your donations.  Generally the per update are more trustworthy than per month, since the dev only makes money if they release updates, but a good dev can get off monthly updates with no problems, so that's where tracking them with small donations or asking about that person comes in. 

Archived