Welcome to LoversLab
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Skyrim crashes, and I have to restart pc to launch it again

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

MorganRiggs

MorganRiggs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

So like the title says, everytime my skyrim crashes i need to reboot my pc to make it load my saves again. Otherwise it just CTD's on me. I suspect that there is some kind of process in the background that is causing this, but I do not know of which.

Let me walk you through it.

1. I launch my computer

2. I launch Skyrim, load the latest save, play for a few hours/minutes, and it crashes randomly to desktop.

3. I try to open skyrim and load my last save.

4. It crashes to dekstop

repeat of 3 and 4.

5. I restart my pc.

6. Skyrim works fine again.

I can provide whatever you need, skyrim logs, papyrus logs, memory block logs, etc.

I'll start with modlist

Spoiler

Skyrim papyrus log

Spoiler

Memory block log
Spoiler

SKSE log
Spoiler

AdBot

AdBot
  • Advert

MorganRiggs

MorganRiggs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

More logs added to topic

squares

squares

□□□

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

From now on you'll have to load your save after starting a new game or after coc qasmoke (or any other location) from main menu. 

steveju76

steveju76

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Load a save from this

http://www.nexusmods...im/mods/56086/?

Then load your own save.

Restarting your PC should have nothing to do with making Skyrim load up your save. If you're talking about having to restart your computer because skyrim hangs when loading a save and is blocking your screen, do this

ALT+TAB (you get to desktop with skyrim blocking your view, if not then do CTRL+ALT+DEL and start task manager)

WIN+R (brings up Run-window, but it's hidden behind skyrim)

type "cmd" and press enter (launches command prompt, again hidden)

type "taskkill /f /im tesv.exe" and hit enter (force closes skyrim)

If skyrim doesn't close, write the command again (you typo'ed something). For SE it's the same but SkyrimSE.exe instead of tesv.exe.

MorganRiggs

MorganRiggs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

From now on you'll have to load your save after starting a new game or after coc qasmoke (or any other location) from main menu. 

Not sure I understand what you mean. never used coc qasmoke. 

Load a save from this

http://www.nexusmods...im/mods/56086/?

Then load your own save.

Restarting your PC should have nothing to do with making Skyrim load up your save. If you're talking about having to restart your computer because skyrim hangs when loading a save and is blocking your screen, do this

ALT+TAB (you get to desktop with skyrim blocking your view, if not then do CTRL+ALT+DEL and start task manager)

WIN+R (brings up Run-window, but it's hidden behind skyrim)

type "cmd" and press enter (launches command prompt, again hidden)

type "taskkill /f /im tesv.exe" and hit enter (force closes skyrim)

If skyrim doesn't close, write the command again (you typo'ed something). For SE it's the same but SkyrimSE.exe instead of tesv.exe.

Why would it work if I were to load a clean save before loading my personal save? (Out of curiosity)

And no, it does not freeze, let me walk you through it.

1. I launch my computer

2. I launch Skyrim, load the latest save, play for a few hours/minutes, and it crashes randomly to desktop.

4. It crashes to dekstop

repeat of 3 and 4.

5. I restart my pc.

steveju76

steveju76

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Someone suggested it to me ages ago. You need to ask someone smarter than me as I could only provide you with my best (wrong) guess, all I know is that it just works :)

A pure CTD without leaving skyrim hanging sounds like an issue with a mod. Maybe wrong load order for the main mod files or running out of memory? Afaik Skyrim (non SE) can only use 4GB at most. From my personal experience, SMIM hates everything, including itself.

E: Something like this to watch memory usage:

http://www.nexusmods...rim/mods/6491/?

MorganRiggs

MorganRiggs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Someone suggested it to me ages ago. You need to ask someone smarter than me as I could only provide you with my best (wrong) guess, all I know is that it just works :)

A pure CTD without leaving skyrim hanging sounds like an issue with a mod. Maybe wrong load order for the main mod files or running out of memory? Afaik Skyrim (non SE) can only use 4GB at most. From my personal experience, SMIM hates everything, including itself.

E: Something like this to watch memory usage:

http://www.nexusmods...rim/mods/6491/?

Thanks for the answer. I am going to try both things you've mentioned.

The mod you suggested looks very promising.

MorganRiggs

MorganRiggs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Okey back with report.

I hit 3.1 gb of memory when loading the game, so I am not over the limit (I think it is 4gb).

I made a clean save, loaded it before my main save, and it seems to work. (I did this 3 times so far)

Hopefully the save thing keeps working, I'll come back with an answer in the upcoming days (I'll mark as resolved if the things done so far still works as a solution to my problem)

valcon767

valcon767

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

ok as for why a clean save then the working save works

it is something to do with the game engine skyrim uses - the more processes it tries to load on initial load the more likely it is to not load everything correctly

by loading a clean (minimial) save first it allows the engine to load the skyrim required stuff first (without all the extras) which lets it load the rest after the

stuff skyrim needs to run is loaded and working.

at least that is the understanding I have from having run into the same thing previously.

btw loading the clean (minimal) save has worked fine for me for a long time now ( and I have a ton of mods running)

something to consider is if you do not have crash fixes it is worth using. it allows you to, among other things, break the games default strings limits ( I break that limit with my mod list

in the as-lal start cell).

Gameplayer

Gameplayer

Mega Poster

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,420 posts

So like the title says, everytime my skyrim crashes i need to reboot my pc to make it load my saves again. Otherwise it just CTD's on me. I suspect that there is some kind of process in the background that is causing this, but I do not know of which.

1. I launch my computer

4. It crashes to dekstop

repeat of 3 and 4.

5. I restart my pc.

I can provide whatever you need, skyrim logs, papyrus logs, memory block logs, etc.

I'll start with modlist

Spoiler

Skyrim papyrus log

Spoiler

Memory block log
Spoiler

SKSE log
Spoiler

The Original Poster.

Has run out of memory, its that simple.

Check his Memory Block Log, The Block log is set at default limits........

So unless he has some other means of enhancing the games memory limit such as ENB or CrashFixes that he hasn't shared with us than yup he done ran out of memory.

With that mod line up for darn sure going to be a problem without SKSE memory fix OR ENB or Crashfixes enabled....Would not enable all 3.

MorganRiggs

MorganRiggs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

ok as for why a clean save then the working save works

it is something to do with the game engine skyrim uses - the more processes it tries to load on initial load the more likely it is to not load everything correctly

by loading a clean (minimial) save first it allows the engine to load the skyrim required stuff first (without all the extras) which lets it load the rest after the

stuff skyrim needs to run is loaded and working.

at least that is the understanding I have from having run into the same thing previously.

btw loading the clean (minimal) save has worked fine for me for a long time now ( and I have a ton of mods running)

something to consider is if you do not have crash fixes it is worth using. it allows you to, among other things, break the games default strings limits ( I break that limit with my mod list

in the as-lal start cell).

Thanks for clearing that up to me :)

1. I launch my computer

4. It crashes to dekstop

repeat of 3 and 4.

5. I restart my pc.

I'll start with modlist

Spoiler

Skyrim papyrus log

Spoiler

Memory block log
Spoiler

SKSE log
Spoiler

The Original Poster.

Has run out of memory, its that simple.

Check his Memory Block Log, The Block log is set at default limits........

So unless he has some other means of enhancing the games memory limit such as ENB or CrashFixes that he hasn't shared with us than yup he done ran out of memory.

With that mod line up for darn sure going to be a problem without SKSE memory fix OR ENB or Crashfixes enabled....Would not enable all 3.

I am using a SKSE plugin that let's me change the amount of loaded memory blocks size(That is why I have the memory block log mod), I can try to up it in the config text file.

I am using UnBleak ENB, but I have not heard of a memory fix for ENB's, I think...

Gameplayer

Gameplayer

Mega Poster

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,420 posts

Ah ok,

Could you open your ENBlocal.ini and load that up as a file attachment or copy its text to your next post?

Hmm also check the task manager with the game running to see if the ENB is loaded as a tasked process.

Memory is starting to feel like the unlikely answer then.

valcon767

valcon767

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

hmm something I did not think of at the time was to ask MorganRiggs if he is using crash fixes (or something else that will let him play over the string limit)???

if he is breaking the default string limit it can also cause problems (especially with loading save games).

and does his SKSE.ini file let it have more memory ??

big nod to Gameplayer it sure does sound like for whatever reason his game is not getting the memory it needs to run.

Gameplayer

Gameplayer

Mega Poster

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,420 posts

I'm starting to think that, he has over allotted his available memory in the ENBlocal.ini

Like all his memory and then the pagefile too.

If you allot too much memory with ENBlocal.ini it is possible that the pagefile memory must be used as well, this of course is bad on an solid state drive...In such case it will lead to early drive failure which of course can mean an unstable game.  Resulting in having to restart the Computer.

I have had this happen, toasted my old SSD and Im sure it was from doing this.

BrimstoneOmega

BrimstoneOmega

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

I would recommend trying this mod. http://www.nexusmods...yrim/mods/78557

From what it looks like to me is that It starts up a new game for a second then moves on to your save game that you are trying to load. It's kind of ingenious really.

MorganRiggs

MorganRiggs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Ok, so I am back with a report. I have still not found the cause for the crashes, but it does work for me to load the game properly now when I load a clean save and then my main save. I do not have to restart my computer anymore. I think it has to do something with either a temporary memory or script file that gets to much written to it at the same time. I might be wrong since modding problems always surprises you

MorganRiggs

MorganRiggs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

hmm something I did not think of at the time was to ask MorganRiggs if he is using crash fixes (or something else that will let him play over the string limit)???

if he is breaking the default string limit it can also cause problems (especially with loading save games).

and does his SKSE.ini file let it have more memory ??

big nod to Gameplayer it sure does sound like for whatever reason his game is not getting the memory it needs to run.

About SKSE and memory, you can not allocate more memory to the game but you can allocate more memory to the startup of the game to avoid startup CTD's

http://www.nexusmods...im/mods/50305/?

I'm starting to think that, he has over allotted his available memory in the ENBlocal.ini

Like all his memory and then the pagefile too.

If you allot too much memory with ENBlocal.ini it is possible that the pagefile memory must be used as well, this of course is bad on an solid state drive...In such case it will lead to early drive failure which of course can mean an unstable game.  Resulting in having to restart the Computer.

I have had this happen, toasted my old SSD and Im sure it was from doing this.

[MEMORY]
//SETUP GUIDE:
//http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:ENBlocal_INI/Memory

ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true
DisableDriverMemoryManager=false
DisablePreloadToVRAM=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false
EnableCompression=false
ReservedMemorySizeMb=256
VideoMemorySizeMb=3400
AutodetectVideoMemorySize=false

I have 16 gb of ram, I have Nvidia GTX680 x2 SLI 4gb Vram and Intel I7 4ghz.

Nazzzgul666

Nazzzgul666

Mega Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts

I have 16 gb of ram, I have Nvidia GTX680 x2 SLI 4gb Vram and Intel I7 4ghz.

Hmm, first i thought you're running out of memory and it's not cleared after Skyrim crashes, so a restart helps. Now... well, i still think the same, just that most likely it's not Skyrim that devours your RAM. ;)

If you browse like me with 200-500 open tabs, i'd recommend to close your browser for playing, that costs a lot ram. If that's not the case, check the task manager before/after playing if there is any other program that uses a lot of memory.