Finished converting an armor through blender, but it looks fucked in-game.

Gappy

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/19624-oblivion-blender-modeling-armor-converting-and-animating/

I followed through this guide word for word using all of the correct prerequisites for blender, etc. and I'm still having trouble getting the armor mesh to look the way I want it to in-game. I'm converting a steel armor cuirass to the LightGUTS body, and it looks alright through nifskope so far.

sgtmpz.png

but, this is what it looks like in-game:

uwgbnx.png

bomeln.png

agtyku.png

What am I missing?

This is my first time modding for Oblivion, so please excuse my stupidity.

Could you send a pic of the nif file, opened in nifskope with the displayed tree of items in it?

Invisible meshes in game is a common issue and it's almost always related to screw ups in parenting and import/export process

A nif should be ordered

It should have a Scene Root base node which you open and all meshes are parented, under it

Not outside, not on a "Scene Root 01" node next to the base one; under it.

Also meshes that are correctly parented have a NiSkinInstance property in them. If it's not there, it means bad parenting caused the mesh to loose it's rigging. In other words, it has no bones painted in it to respond to animations. This is also a cause of in-game invisible meshes

Importing/exporting and parenting is the single most important thing one first needs to get right in blender before making crap

And almost nobody cares about it :dodgy:

But dont worry, everything has a solution...

Usually it's deleting all skeletons in blender, importing a new one and making the correct parenting this time before exporting, which is done by selecting all meshes, then the skeleton and pressing Ctrl+P.

Another usual cause of invisible meshes is missing textures or missing normal textures. But your mesh seems to be using vanilla textures, so both textures should be right there.

Also that's my old tutorial... This would be a nice place to start the new series... with more images in it this time...

Aaaa!

Stupid me... I was distracted

Didnt noticed the structure seems right.

Purple things is a certain indicator of missing textures

I'm still confused as to why are they missing... they sure look vanilla in that pic

So first guesses are. It's either that or nonexistant NiSkinInstances for something

If it's the textures, check the path on the texture properties

Should be pointing towards textures/armor/steel/m/cuirass or something like it... I think that was the vanilla path for steel armor texture

If it isnt either of those... send the nif, I'll take a look and tell you what I find so you can fix it... I'm already in it anyway

I should also mention that the breasts (Foot:Body) and Arms uses a separate custom texture from Mass Outfit Redesign by ElAlquimista which is really just an edited UV of the steel greaves texture. The Foot:Body, and Arms seem to work fine while the whole cuirass, neckguard, and pauldrons are missing/fucked in-game.

I took a quick look at the nif and you have wrong texture paths for the parts that are invisible...

In the Neckguard, Pauldron and Cuirass, change the texture paths from "textures\textures\armor\steel\m\cuirass.dds" to "textures\armor\steel\m\cuirass.dds".

Have fun :)

Nice! weird how that worked though, I'd have never thought a simple file path error could cause the whole armor to implode. Usually in Skyrim the textures would just turn purple.

Thanks regardless. Now I just need to learn how to add BBB support to the exposed chest and then I'll be golden.

Archived