Welcome to LoversLab
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Infuriating Camera Issue

camera third person first person stuck camera

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Jexsam

Jexsam

Conjurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts
I am encountering an infuriating issue that no amount of updates, rollbacks, or mod ticking/unticking seems to want to fix. I'm desperate at this point and am one step away from just nuking the install and rebuilding since literally nothing else seems to want to fix this.

This won't be a very elegant description of the issue but here goes.

Sometimes, with no discernible rhyme or reason, when pressing tab to bring up the menu, if I am in third person camera, the camera will snap to a certain distance from the player. Further, and most irritatingly, when using the tfc command in third person, the camera will sometimes snap to that distance and rebind the camera to mouselook, freezing my ability to scroll in or out and rendering the character unable to attack. The effect it similar to what happens if you use a pose ring to enable a pose idle while in free camera, but my checking/unchecking my pose mods made no difference. Finally, and the rarest symptom, when scrolling in and popping from third person to first person, the camera will snap back out to third person, again at the same uniform distance. This issue is periodic - there are times when the camera behaves exactly as it should, and other times it behaves as outlined here. I have been unable to spot an active effect that could be causing it. Again, there is no clear rhyme or reason to this issue - it will plague me for a moment, up to a few minutes if I'm unlucky, then just go away for a while.

Given the stated similarity to what happens when firing an idle with a pose mod ring, my gut instinct was assuming it was something that was applying an effect to the player, so I started by disabling Creature Framework, Schlongs of Skyrim, Sexlab itself, all my pose mods, and probably several others I can't remember right now. I went through proper uninstall processes for each. The effect remained present both on old saves and new, cleaner saves. It exists across all my save profiles, so whatever it is is something I've been using since the start. I have tried new and old versions of several mods, all to no avail.

This is my full load order.
Active Mod Files:
Spoiler

As of this posting the only mod I can see that I could think to uninstall and try is Follower Mod. I'll report back in the unlikely event that works, but I don't anticipate a good result. In the meantime, any insight would be wonderful. I really don't want to go through the hassle of rebuilding these characters a second time in as many months, but if no answer presents itself, I absolutely will.

LOOT has been used several times, so load order shouldn't be the issue.

I'm at my wit's end here.

AdBot

AdBot
  • Advert

Andy14

Andy14

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

If I have problems with camera (rare, but happens), then chop wood - animation solves the problem.

Jexsam

Jexsam

Conjurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts

If I have problems with camera (rare, but happens), then chop wood - animation solves the problem.

I appreciate your suggestion, but my camera issues are very common. Unsticking the camera alleviates the symptom but doesn't solve the underlying issue - why is my camera behaving oddly, and how do I correct the underlying cause? This is what I'm trying to figure out.

You actually reminded me of another symptom of the problem I forgot to mention, though!

The camera snap issue also occurs when using crafting stations like enchanting tables and forges. The camera will snap away from the usual view and once again to the same fixed distance from the player. This, like the camera snap from opening the menu, is harmless, but undoubtedly related to the TFC snap issue.

Andy14

Andy14

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
I do not know where the reason for camera problem is.
I guess SkyUI, as it happens also without mods with animations (Sexlab etc.).

Sometimes I can not in first person view - camera is behind the pc.

Because I have not found a reason, but a way to fix it.
(Animation with automatic change in third person view - eg chop wood)

Better chop wood, than load old save. ;)

Jexsam

Jexsam

Conjurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts
I'm not ready to call this solved yet but I seem to have made some headway.

I went back to one of my earliest suspects, Creature Framework. What I did was perhaps the most basic thing imaginable - I uninstalled it, made a clean save, and reinstalled it. I've done this on two different save profiles. There were some hiccups (I encountered a crash in one of the profiles and had to use a script cleaner to stop it so I could create a stable clean save) but results are tentatively favorable. No odd camera behavior. Given that two distinct save profiles both show improvement, this is definitely encouraging, but I've had the issue seem to go away before only to come back with more extensive play, so I need to test more profiles and play the game more to call it done.

I'm gonna feel mighty stupid if a clean save is all it takes to fix this, but I'd rather feel stupid and fix it than be stupid and nuke an entire install over something a clean save could fix.

Will report back after more extensive tests.

Jexsam

Jexsam

Conjurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts
A clean install of Creature Framework seems to lessen the issue temporarily, but the results are inconsistent. Selune and Kallista's profiles showed no sign and a single instance, respectively, of the issue. Eldawen, however, displayed moderate problems even after a clean save and script cleanse. Raelyndreth seemed to show no signs of the issue even without a clean save, so I wonder if I may be barking up the wrong tree entirely or if that was just a coincidentally good session.

I'll need to play a game extensively without Creature Framework enabled to confirm root cause. Shouldn't be too much of an issue to test, I've still got a few characters yet to be remade. Will report back with information as it becomes available.

This is really irritating.

Andy14

Andy14

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
Maybe it makes your search easier.
I have Installed to test this problem a long time ago: SKSE, SkyUI and RaceMenu - just this. (I never use creatures(: ).
No mods with animations - none (as I wrote).

And nevertheless (very rarely) this error happens.

I am looking forward to your test result :)

Jexsam

Jexsam

Conjurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts
Okay, I can finally report that uninstalling Creature Framework cleanly has made no difference.

I am completely at a loss. Doesn't anyone have any insight?

Andy14

Andy14

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
Too bad to hear this. :(
If you find something out, you can send me a PM - please.
It is avoidable (as I had described), but it annoys me not to know the cause. Please send a PM if you have new results.

By the way: I said it is not Creature Framework. I have CF not installed in and yet - very, very rare, but this phenomenon can happen

Jexsam

Jexsam

Conjurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts
Honestly I just went ahead and completely uninstalled and reinstalled the game. I'm not sure yet if the problem is actually dealt with since I'm scared to sink any time into a game just to see if it crops back up, but in just poking around and seeing if my installed mods work, so far it's good. Apparently, whatever mistake I made last time, I haven't made again. Hopefully.

I wish I had better news.

Jexsam

Jexsam

Conjurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts
It's back.

It's. Fucking. Back.

Extremely few and far between right now - it's only happened twice - but it's back.

I'm about to just fucking quit this game, I swear to god. All I want to do is take some fucking screenshots. I spent all that money on parts so I could play this game and many other better. And now it's all just spitting in my face. Nothing but a huge waste of time, effort, and money, all of it.

I don't have the time or energy to reinstall again and play one. Mod. At. A. Time. Until I can be sure the problem is not present or pinpoint what mod makes it pop up. I've got nearly 150 mods on a barely complete reinstall. I can't do it. One of the few goddamn things I can keep coming back to and enjoy doing is just flipping me the bird. Goddamnit! God fucking damnit!

D_ManXX2

D_ManXX2

Mega Poster

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,671 posts

It has nothing todo with creature frame work. i have not seen answered but did you edit your ini files in any way ?? especially anything related to camera ?? 

Jexsam

Jexsam

Conjurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts
I have not.

I don't want to say much right now else I jinx it but I may have found my problem. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, it's still really early, but I did manage a screenshot session without a single instance of the camera issue. Only spent about half an hour on it, need more time, but if the issue turns out to be what I think it is, I'm gonna kick myself. I'll report back when I know more.

Talos guide me...

Jexsam

Jexsam

Conjurer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts
My tests have been promising but I need to know from more experienced users if I might be barking up the wrong tree again...

Is there any reason XPMSE.esp would be affecting my camera, or causing any effects that would affect the camera?

Testing shows that inside 15 minutes, with XPMSE.esp enabled, the camera will repeat the undesired snapping/locking behavior. Disabling the esp has no negative effects and allows me at least half an hour of screenshooting time without the issue cropping up. Is this coincidence?

I'll be doing more testing in the meantime. Now that I've got approximate timestamps to work with, I'm no longer just taking shots in the dark. Testing will be much easier.

Andy14

Andy14

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
As I said before, I installed SKSE, RaceMenu and SkyUI.
So no XPMSE (skeletal yes, esp no), no animations, thus also no creatures.
My guess is SkyUi - the current version, as well as the version before. Just my guess.

Naked Ekans

Naked Ekans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

I believe this is caused by XPMSE. I remember guk reported something similar a while back.

yatol

yatol

Mega Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,989 posts

Testing shows that inside 15 minutes, with XPMSE.esp enabled, the camera will repeat the undesired snapping/locking behavior. Disabling the esp has no negative effects and allows me at least half an hour of screenshooting time without the issue cropping up. Is this coincidence?

shout on something, surrender, sexlab camera shortcut or tfc and wait for the surrender blabla to popup

when you will be able to move again, try to attack or open your inventory

defeat took control of the camera, did his stuff, and disabled a standing still package (or whatever it is) when done

tfc is still running, its standing still package got overwrite by defeat, but not the rest

if you save and load the same, that won't change anything, tfc packages are still running

same can happen during killmove, or if you press wrong shortcut and that one load something that overwrite killmove stuff

tfc 1 then sexlab shortcut, or sexlabshortcut then tfc, or sexlab then tfc 1, or tfc tfc 1...

it will get back to normal by overwriting killmove stuff with tfc stuff, that will get unload when quitting tfc mode

if you press the wrong key during tfc, and that key is a shortkey to something that overwrite parts of tfc, will be the same

there's also some stuff that can happen while you just stand there, night critters appear at night, day critters appear at night, npc go there at 21h, vampire spawn at night...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camera, third person, first person, stuck camera