Westworld

pipdude

I'm kind of surprised to find that there isn't a thread about Westworld on this site. The show is basically about adult gaming.

It seems to have good reviews. So, I might be in the minority here. But, I was pretty disappointed with it over-all.

I was immediately hooked by the concept. But, the execution and story-telling became atrocious by the end of the season.

I did some reading of quotes from the top-level creators, etc. It looks like they recognize the parallels with games. But, haven't even really experienced recent games much themselves. Instead, they hired various consultants from GTA V, etc. to try to explain to them what gamers think. The concept was being floated for years and years apparently. This should be made by people that understand this parallel. Not by people that were reminded of the parallel after they got the job.

Also, creator of Lost, JJ Abrams was involved. Again, I have to concede that Lost was a huge commercial hit. But, to me, it was the most gimmicky piece of trash ever made for TV. And we see the same cheap plot devices being used as ham handedly as a freshman writing major. For example, the stupid "maze" image that "mysteriously" is plastered over all kinds of objects and even under a mans scalp. "What does it mean?" Abrams wants everyone to ask. Turns out that despite it appearing repeatedly in every single episode, its meaning to the story is a tiny side-note. JJ Abrams doesn't belong within 35 miles of any TV production.

Anyway, I'm bummed because I would love to see a well done show on this subject. But, am afraid that what we have is a crappy Lost series that will make it less likely for any other producers to take on a similar concept (they are apparently trying to plan out 5 seasons!)

Thoughts?

Archived