Getting a "Rig" soon need some help

GodSmack

Alright so long story short im getting the money to get a custom PC built in a few weeks, maybe a month if i decide to save a bit more. Right now my planned budget is $1200+ for just the essentials (not the keyboard/mouse/monitor just the case and whats inside)

I'd like to know if this would be enough to make a decent PC for games like fallout 4, GTA, watch dogs, etc, you know high end games.

If so, what would be some good spec to default off of

if not, what would be a recommended price range for said PC

Thanks for taking the time to read and happy New Years eve(eve)

$1200 is plenty to build a good gaming rig.

Default specs are 16gb of ram, an SSD (256gb min IMO), and HDD (1TB+).

Most likely you are going to need a 750 psu but that could increase depending on what gpu and cpu you decide to get or if you get an AIO cpu cooler.

Honestly, just google $1200 PC builds and compare to see. PCPartPicker has a section where people post their builds, so I would recommend looking at that.

A way way long time ago before ddr3, people used to say the fastest memory came in the smallest packages.

Whether that's still true or not, I would not know. If you build it right, it'll last forever and you won't know what's current.

Gobs of average memory you'll never hardly use vs barely enough you don't have to overclock (because it's already fast)

But then you gotta beware what you're buying is really fast memory and not slow memory re-marked to be fast at a higher voltage.

It gets complicated (It used to).

Or just buy stuff from a biggie name, what the hell.

People usually just buy too much of something from a biggie name, because then they can go into forums and brag.

But it depends a LOT on what you really do (for fun, for a living, for now, forever)

$1200 is plenty to build a good gaming rig.

Default specs are 16gb of ram, an SSD (256gb min IMO), and HDD (1TB+).

Most likely you are going to need a 750 psu but that could increase depending on what gpu and cpu you decide to get or if you get an AIO cpu cooler.

Honestly, just google $1200 PC builds and compare to see. PCPartPicker has a section where people post their builds, so I would recommend looking at that.

I see that helps me alot i think i got an idea of what ill be going for

A way way long time ago before ddr3, people used to say the fastest memory came in the smallest packages.

Whether that's still true or not, I would not know. If you build it right, it'll last forever and you won't know what's current.

Gobs of average memory you'll never hardly use vs barely enough you don't have to overclock (because it's already fast)

But then you gotta beware what you're buying is really fast memory and not slow memory re-marked to be fast at a higher voltage.

It gets complicated (It used to).

Or just buy stuff from a biggie name, what the hell.

People usually just buy too much of something from a biggie name, because then they can go into forums and brag.

But it depends a LOT on what you really do (for fun, for a living, for now, forever)

The use is mainly for gaming, use of photoshop/paint tool sai, and coding

for memory I honestly don't want or need alot, just enough to where i have enough to play/record/stream/render a game and not deal with a slow machine or have issues whilst recording/streaming studder or frame skips.

I'm thinking of using no compromise gaming site to give me an idea of what i want for a PC

Just some general tips:

• 8GB of solid, high clock DDR4 RAM is more than enough for just gaming. If you're wanting to run multiple monitors (I'd say 2 monitors is becoming more of a necessity) and/or record and render games, then sure go for 16GB but make sure the quality is the same. Use the extra money you saved not getting an i7 to achieve this.
  • Don't just assume that because i7s are the most current and expensive CPUs that they are the best choice. An i5-6600K is currently the best option for a gaming CPU. An i7 is far more expensive than the 6600K, with the only advantage of an i7 being a slightly higher clock speed and 6 cores. Seeing as the vast majority of games only utilise a max of 4 cores anyway, this is not enough of a reason to justify spending the extra amount to get an i7. tl;dr = You should get the i5-6600K and spend the extra money on bumping up other parts.
  • Don't get a big flashy case like the pre-built "Extreme Gaming PCs" you see on Amazon. You'll regret it when you realise what an eyesore the case really is.
  • 1TB is now more-or-less the minimum size for a HDD. 2TB is ideal, anything over 2TB is for people with 100+ games they want installed at the same time, or people with a lot of shit in general, and isn't really necessary. Remember that unlike buying the right processor or GPU, you can always just plop more storage into your system whenever you want. It's a lot better to just add more when you want/need/can afford it than to buy too much that you're not going to use and be strapped for cash.
  • A good SSD can work wonders on large games or games that extensively load assets during play such as Garry's Mod, Cities: Skylines, ArmA, Skyrim, GTA etc. Make sure to get a quality SSD (Samsung are probably the best, hence the slightly higher price) like a Samsung 850 EVO of at least 250GB if you're going to put Windows and a few of your most used games on there.
  • If you're unsure of anything, ask on Reddit (r/buildapc). People there are more than happy to help.

I was making a build for fun on pcparpicker to see how cheap i could go with high end stuff

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Q8HFCy

now the 8370, Completely optional, you could swap it out for a 8350 and buy a nice 1080p monitor along with probably reaching up to just over $1200

Be quiet! pure rock cpu cooler, i think i even remember linus recommending this in a video of his, its cheap and seems to be super quiet. 

MSI 970, its a nice mobo, people say you can cheap out on the motherboard, and you can but..cheaper ones tend to be prone to problems, for instance, i cannot download a game because my USB ports are busted on my cheap motherboard, i had it for 2 years and if i wanted to download without internet just turning off i have to reset computer beforehand. 

Plus, they come with nicer features. 

Kingston HyperX fury Black 16gb. 16GB is nice to have (BUT YOU ONLY NEED 8GB) But its very comforting to have 16GB. it means your NEVER limited when it comes to game whether its 7 years into the future.

Oh look, another kingston hyperX fury product (they make good stuff and speedy) The newer versions of the HyperX SSDs were actually sponsored all around twitch when they first came out, you could get a 120gb for $100 and its speed was worth the price, so i cheaped out took a last-gen version of HyperX for 240GB, trust me you need 240gb i have so many problems with having to move games off my SSD so it isnent jam-packed. 

WD Black 2TB. Black series is for gamers, thats all i gotta say. you could get Blue, but black is better.

480 8GB, why sapphire? Sapphire make great cards, my Sapphire 270X 4GB, managed to maintain 40+ fps on skyrim maxed, with ENBs and 2k landscape textures, it would never drop to 30 unless i look at very intensive areas. managed to play witcher 3 ultra (with high tweeks) at 40fps in the wilds 30 in cities. 40fps is well-playable for RPGs. So thats why i trust Sapphire so much. 

NZXT S340 Case, i wanted a match case for all the red/black i had in it, so i picked the red version, it has good airflow, sadly pre-installed with 2 fans, with 2 slots at the front. But i mostly went for design then specifications. 

CXM750 PSU, simple as you wont be using over 500Ws but the extra 750 allows for upgrading and well..its nicely price for what it brings.

then it comes with windows 10, but you can take that off and uhm (buy a code of kinguin for $25...)

You can take inspiration off the build, you can use the entirety of it, you could ignore it. but it still there for reference.

You will be able to game on ultra with recent games at 60fps 1080p, some games like Shadow warrior 2 on 1440p, you will be set

(or you could save up for amd ryzen which is soon to release but it will be lke $500 but its a very powerful CPU)

My personal build is 8350, MSI 390, 16gb HyperX fury blacks, 120gb HyperX 3k  SSD, Gigabyte GA-970A Motherboard, CXM750w, TX3 CPU Cooler, Z11 Plus Case, 1TB WD Blue and LG 1080p monitor, whole thing came up to $950 and it very good with recent games. 

Just some general tips:

• 8GB of solid, high clock DDR4 RAM is more than enough for just gaming. If you're wanting to run multiple monitors (I'd say 2 monitors is becoming more of a necessity) and/or record and render games, then sure go for 16GB but make sure the quality is the same. Use the extra money you saved not getting an i7 to achieve this.
  • Don't just assume that because i7s are the most current and expensive CPUs that they are the best choice. An i5-6600K is currently the best option for a gaming CPU. An i7 is far more expensive than the 6600K, with the only advantage of an i7 being a slightly higher clock speed and 6 cores. Seeing as the vast majority of games only utilise a max of 4 cores anyway, this is not enough of a reason to justify spending the extra amount to get an i7. tl;dr = You should get the i5-6600K and spend the extra money on bumping up other parts.
  • Don't get a big flashy case like the pre-built "Extreme Gaming PCs" you see on Amazon. You'll regret it when you realise what an eyesore the case really is.
  • 1TB is now more-or-less the minimum size for a HDD. 2TB is ideal, anything over 2TB is for people with 100+ games they want installed at the same time, or people with a lot of shit in general, and isn't really necessary. Remember that unlike buying the right processor or GPU, you can always just plop more storage into your system whenever you want. It's a lot better to just add more when you want/need/can afford it than to buy too much that you're not going to use and be strapped for cash.
  • A good SSD can work wonders on large games or games that extensively load assets during play such as Garry's Mod, Cities: Skylines, ArmA, Skyrim, GTA etc. Make sure to get a quality SSD (Samsung are probably the best, hence the slightly higher price) like a Samsung 850 EVO of at least 250GB if you're going to put Windows and a few of your most used games on there.
  • If you're unsure of anything, ask on Reddit (r/buildapc). People there are more than happy to help.

I like the way you write.

I wondered about the second monitor needing eight more gigabytes, but it isn't really something I'd want to be picky over.

Whatever the OP gets, cas-something (CAS followed by a number) used to be the biggie thing to go for.

find out the standard voltage for the DIMMS you want, lets pretend for a second (because who knows) that it's two volts.

if you buy some needing 2.6 volts, they're prolly overclocked and running at a higher voltage.

Low-voltage memory (1.8, or, .2 lower than my example) might have been slowed to use less power.

AMD is and always will be struggling to keep up with Intel, but jeez, their processors are pretty great, people usually gloss over them anyway in favor of a gaming card.

Don't buy a cheapo brand of a high-end card, thinking you're saving, it causes misery down the line.

Don't buy an overclocked video card, buy the fastest one you can afford that has a standard speed.

If it's already overclocked, it's iffy. Just saying...anecdotal evidence from someone who sounds like a bum on the subway....but you'd want reliable, I'd think.

------

and as you walk off the subway platform to the safety of your home,

You hear the bum mumble...

"Games run fine on a hard drive" (at least, read up on MLC vs TLC (samsung)

"Cases are for the motherboard, not for you. Make sure it has enough cooling capabilities."

"Liquid cooled is a biggie, but it can be tricky to install correctly"

"(mumbmle mumble) Good luck"

post-392535-0-63333300-1483483458_thumb.jpg

post-392535-0-95535200-1483484188_thumb.jpg

post-392535-0-11599200-1483484204_thumb.jpg

Alright so long story short im getting the money to get a custom PC built in a few weeks, maybe a month if i decide to save a bit more. Right now my planned budget is $1200+ for just the essentials (not the keyboard/mouse/monitor just the case and whats inside)

I'd like to know if this would be enough to make a decent PC for games like fallout 4, GTA, watch dogs, etc, you know high end games.

Just some general tips:

I wondered about the second monitor needing eight more gigabytes, but it isn't really something I'd want to be picky over.

Whatever the OP gets, cas-something (CAS followed by a number) used to be the biggie thing to go for.

find out the standard voltage for the DIMMS you want, lets pretend for a second (because who knows) that it's two volts.

if you buy some needing 2.6 volts, they're prolly overclocked and running at a higher voltage.

Low-voltage memory (1.8, or, .2 lower than my example) might have been slowed to use less power.

AMD is and always will be struggling to keep up with Intel, but jeez, their processors are pretty great, people usually gloss over them anyway in favor of a gaming card.

Don't buy a cheapo brand of a high-end card, thinking you're saving, it causes misery down the line.

Don't buy an overclocked video card, buy the fastest one you can afford that has a standard speed.

If it's already overclocked, it's iffy. Just saying...anecdotal evidence from someone who sounds like a bum on the subway....but you'd want reliable, I'd think.

------

"Cases are for the motherboard, not for you. Make sure it has enough cooling capabilities."

Yeah Billiedovakhiin, I could've gotten across what I was trying to say a little better regarding the 8GB v 16GB of RAM thing. I should have said "If you're wanting to run multiple monitors (I'd say 2 monitors is becoming more of a necessity) and record and render gameplay or run multiple intensive programs at once, then sure go for 16GB".

For Godsmack, just to add on to Billiedovakhiin's final bits of advice:

• I 100% agree. The SDD is completely optional, and you could skip it and spend the money on other parts, much like the money saved on the CPU. However, if you're interested in an SSD for Windows and any programs you use a lot, might as well chuck a few of your favourite games on there. Again, your choice. It's your build after all.
  • Again, 100% true. Fractal Design and NZXT make some pretty sweet looking Mid Towers with good cooling (Full towers are generally expensive, and not necessary for most rigs).
  • Liquid cooling is a great addition to a rig on the high end of the spectrum, which a $1200+ rig most certainly would be given proper use of the funds. Liquid cooling is a huge compliment to the build, especially if you did decide to go with the i5-6600K (a fantastic overclocking CPU) and overclock it once you're comfortable with the process, at which point proper liquid cooling becomes pretty much a necessity. As a starting point, you can buy all-in-one CPU coolers (Corsair's Hydro H100i v2 is a nice little radiator) that simply screw into the case at the top/upper side of the MOBO if the difficulty of installation is an issue.

I'd dispute a SSD as "optional" if a fast system is your goal. An overclocked CPU with an expensive water cooler isn't doing squat while it's waiting for the seek/read times on a hard drive. Get a SSD as your OS drive for boot speeds, application launches, system library loads. If you've got funds, get a second one or a bigger primary SSD and put your games on it too. Kick loadscreens to the curb.

I would recommend something similar to this.

I7 7700k or i5 7600k.

Z270 120ish dollar MOBO.

40 dollar air cooler.

16GB ddr4 ram.

Gtx 1070 or 1080.

500ish watt PSU.

70 dollar case, I recommend the Phanteks Eclipse p400.

At minimum a 240gb SSD, OCZ has great SSDs for the price.

An 1TB HDD for mas storage.

Tips:

don't buy the older AMD CPUs.

You could wait for the AMDs Ryzen series of CPU's to launch.

Just some general tips:

------

Yeah Billiedovakhiin, I could've gotten across what I was trying to say a little better regarding the 8GB v 16GB of RAM thing. I should have said "If you're wanting to run multiple monitors (I'd say 2 monitors is becoming more of a necessity) and record and render gameplay or run multiple intensive programs at once, then sure go for 16GB".

• I 100% agree. The SDD is completely optional, and you could skip it and spend the money on other parts, much like the money saved on the CPU. However, if you're interested in an SSD for Windows and any programs you use a lot, might as well chuck a few of your favourite games on there. Again, your choice. It's your build after all.
  • Again, 100% true. Fractal Design and NZXT make some pretty sweet looking Mid Towers with good cooling (Full towers are generally expensive, and not necessary for most rigs).
  • Liquid cooling is a great addition to a rig on the high end of the spectrum, which a $1200+ rig most certainly would be given proper use of the funds. Liquid cooling is a huge compliment to the build, especially if you did decide to go with the i5-6600K (a fantastic overclocking CPU) and overclock it once you're comfortable with the process, at which point proper liquid cooling becomes pretty much a necessity. As a starting point, you can buy all-in-one CPU coolers (Corsair's Hydro H100i v2 is a nice little radiator) that simply screw into the case at the top/upper side of the MOBO if the difficulty of installation is an issue.

Im defiantly getting 16gb, i need it and im tired of running out of ram in general with this weak 4gb craptop i work with(its more of a"If I can I might as well" thing) 

I am getting 250gb SSD and water cooled, they seemed the better options

for CPU im going for an i7, i might notch it down for something around the similar specs 

For the Mid tower i dont plan to get anything fancy like a crazy glowing one just one that can get the job done, as my headphones themselves already glow and ive been dealing with that annoyance for awhile.

I was planning to go for the thermaltake versa h22 mid tower

EDIT: Ive been told by my friend who also build his own PC that amds dont have an equivalent to an I7 so im kinda leaning for something stronger. 

EDIT2: I also do plan to get two monitors, just not right now

Just some general tips:

------

Im defiantly getting 16gb, i need it and im tired of running out of ram in general with this weak 4gb craptop i work with(its more of a"If I can I might as well" thing) 

for CPU im going for an i7, i might notch it down for something around the similar specs 

For the Mid tower i dont plan to get anything fancy like a crazy glowing one just one that can get the job done, as my headphones themselves already glow and ive been dealing with that annoyance for awhile.

EDIT: Ive been told by my friend who also build his own PC that amds dont have an equivalent to an I7 so im kinda leaning for something stronger. 

I would Recommend.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GpHvsJ

I would also recommend staying away from AIO water coolers for your first build as they are not the easiest to work with.

Just to say my  part...  Like the guy at Micro Center said, "The monitor is like the tires on your car, you wouldn't buy a Porsche and run on Bob's discount tires."   meaning all the power and high-end graphic would be somewhat wasted if you don't get a high-end Monitor that can truly deliver the best picture.

I love my system

Intel i7 4790K    CPU

DDR3 2300 16Gb    Ram

Asus  Z97 -AR     MOBO

Ultra Gold  750W  PSU

Asus  GTX  980ti   6Gb   Graphics Card

2 SSD  250Gb  OS   and 500Gb   (I think samsung)  Their so checp now, no reason not to get an SSD

Dell S2716 DG  Monitor

Water cooled H80 CPU

Have no Idea how much it would cost now.

Just to say my  part...  Like the guy at Micro Center said, "The monitor is like the tires on your car, you wouldn't buy a Porsche and run on Bob's discount tires."   meaning all the power and high-end graphic would be somewhat wasted if you don't get a high-end Monitor that can truly deliver the best picture.

I love my system

Intel i7 4790K    CPU

DDR3 2300 16Gb    Ram

Asus  Z97 -AR     MOBO

Ultra Gold  750W  PSU

Asus  GTX  980ti   6Gb   Graphics Card

2 SSD  250Gb  OS   and 500Gb   (I think samsung)  Their so checp now, no reason not to get an SSD

Dell S2716 DG  Monitor

Water cooled H80 CPU

Have no Idea how much it would cost now.

I would guess about ~80% of the original price, the parts are still pretty recent.

Just some general tips:

------

You're on the right track, everything seems good.

Can I ask a question?

Everytime I ask it in my head it comes out snarky...Forgive me in advance, ok?

What do you use that makes you run out of Ram at 4GB?

I was just curious.

It's damned impressive, whatever it is.

I learned a long time ago that running with a zero-byte swapfile, whatever your ram, is a bad idea. Not sure why exactly, maybe some software needs to see one.

I also got used to closing programs before running another one, it's an annoying habit I picked up when 1MB system RAM was a luxury.

I still want to know, but for science, not because I'm trying to be a jerk.

Just some general tips:

------

Can I ask a question?

I was just curious.

I learned a long time ago that running with a zero-byte swapfile, whatever your ram, is a bad idea. Not sure why exactly, maybe some software needs to see one.

I also got used to closing programs before running another one, it's an annoying habit I picked up when 1MB system RAM was a luxury.

Its called windows,

It's hungry

It can also have Chrome installed

Then its a RAM VACUUM!

Thats about it. 

Just some general tips:

------

Can I ask a question?

I was just curious.

Its called windows,

It's hungry

Then its a RAM VACUUM!

Thats about it. 

My chrome + windows uses 1.6 gigs. That's why I asked.

I mean, I have eight, but, uh, after I got it I felt such a fool, I figured four was plenty.

Not sure now, everyone and their brother has 16 and wants 32.

Just some general tips:

------

Can I ask a question?

I was just curious.

Its called windows,

It's hungry

Then its a RAM VACUUM!

Thats about it. 

My chrome + windows uses 1.6 gigs. That's why I asked.

I mean, I have eight, but, uh, after I got it I felt such a fool, I figured four was plenty.

Not sure now, everyone and their brother has 16 and wants 32.

No apologies nessesary, i Do a few things that do this

I occasionally need to have 3-4 programs open at a time for faster accessibility, then i have skype(nuff said) discord, and a few other things. so when i run out i pretty much have to turn of skype and discord since they pretty much have to be open

then there is windows and chrome, which i use regularly

I recommend Samsung's "Pro" versions if you want longevity for your SSD.

If you're not happy with Chrome's memory usage then I recommend the 32 bit version of Chrome, as the 64 bit version will demand about twice as much memory for the same functionality.

I recommend Samsung's "Pro" versions if you want longevity for your SSD.

If you're not happy with Chrome's memory usage then I recommend the 32 bit version of Chrome, as the 64 bit version will demand about twice as much memory for the same functionality.

Cough http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820228142

COUGH http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147360

Archived