F4 pegs my CPU

Your CPU is not that great, BUT it should still allow to run it at medium settings with decent framerates (with gtx 950), something is not right with your game instalation/os probably..

P.S. Are you using mods? I find that mods which adds more npc's, enemies or more look variety will reduce performance sometimes even by 40%.

P.S.2. Are you playing it in resolution higher than fullhd (1080p)? It might me lack of vram. Sorry for all those question, but I just want to help you.

amd cpus are not fit for floating point heavy performance. which is any multimedia/high precision task like games. which is why even standard 4th gen i3 without oc will have almost 2x times higher lowest fps (stutter due to cpu choking) than 5 ghz pseudo 8 "core" fx 9550. amd cpus are only good as heaters. 

well, another plus side on amd is they suposedly do better on integer based tasks likem decryption. so if u decide to hack your neighbour wifi it will take u only 8 years instead of 12. very useful, thoughtful design from amd. totally not to bullshit plebs by fake number of pseudo cores (extra integer unit does not make a core) and high ghz, certianly not marketing scam. no sir. 

Get a CPU meter for your desktop & put it on a second monitor & watch.........The CPU will climb to 100% & stay there until you do a fate out or fade in, or check your Pipboy, but as soon as that's done, it goes right back up to 100% again.

I can only speak for me, but when my CPU pegs out at 100%, I lag horribly.......Am I the only one?

:(

My CPU peaks at about 25-40% in Fallout 4.  I have an i7-4790k running on a Kraken X61 cooler.

Okay, I'm very willing to help out but I can only be as helpful as you're descriptive.  Telling me that your CPU is pegging Fallout 4 and that you get horrible lag makes about as much sense as asking the doctor to prescribe the correct medicine but you only told him you don't feel so good.  I'm not saying I'm a doctor, but I'm willing to work as best I can with you.

How are your graphics cards running?  Is SLI indicating it's functioning properly?  What mods, if any, are installed in your Fallout 4?  Are you running an ENB?  Do you have the latest drivers from Nvidia?  

I'm assuming you've tried ALL my recommendations and they didn't work.  Therefore, what are your temperatures for your CPU? Download HWmonitor to measure that. I'm suspecting thermal throttling, but my answer is only as vague as the issue's description.

If it were thermal throttling then a new CPU cooler or a new application of thermal paste for the proper transfer of heat is next in order, as indicated by the word thermal.

The worst case scenario -- and also the most unlikely scenario of all -- is that your CPU is a lemon.

If running Fallout 4 on the most optimized settings I've described previously doesn't work and if fixing the temperature of the CPU doesn't work, then the last two possible solutions are either A. you have outdated/incompatible software on your PC (which would require you to be 1,000,000x more descriptive than you already are to solve the issue), or B. your CPU is damaged (still the most unlikeliest scenario of all).  

It's ONLY Fallout 4......

Skyrim, with everything turned on INCLUDING FAA, is *not* pegging my CPU.

Fallout 3 & Fallout NV are not........

Batman Archam Assylum is not.

Mad Max is not.

IT'S ONLY FALLOUT FOUR.

I have an AMD CPU.......Could the game not be properly coded for AMD CPU's??

Very well then.  

Get a CPU meter for your desktop & put it on a second monitor & watch.........The CPU will climb to 100% & stay there until you do a fate out or fade in, or check your Pipboy, but as soon as that's done, it goes right back up to 100% again.

I can only speak for me, but when my CPU pegs out at 100%, I lag horribly.......Am I the only one?

My CPU peaks at about 25-40% in Fallout 4.  I have an i7-4790k running on a Kraken X61 cooler.

Okay, I'm very willing to help out but I can only be as helpful as you're descriptive.  Telling me that your CPU is pegging Fallout 4 and that you get horrible lag makes about as much sense as asking the doctor to prescribe the correct medicine but you only told him you don't feel so good.  I'm not saying I'm a doctor, but I'm willing to work as best I can with you.

How are your graphics cards running?  Is SLI indicating it's functioning properly?  What mods, if any, are installed in your Fallout 4?  Are you running an ENB?  Do you have the latest drivers from Nvidia?  

I'm assuming you've tried ALL my recommendations and they didn't work.  Therefore, what are your temperatures for your CPU? Download HWmonitor to measure that. I'm suspecting thermal throttling, but my answer is only as vague as the issue's description.

If it were thermal throttling then a new CPU cooler or a new application of thermal paste for the proper transfer of heat is next in order, as indicated by the word thermal.

The worst case scenario -- and also the most unlikely scenario of all -- is that your CPU is a lemon.

If running Fallout 4 on the most optimized settings I've described previously doesn't work and if fixing the temperature of the CPU doesn't work, then the last two possible solutions are either A. you have outdated/incompatible software on your PC (which would require you to be 1,000,000x more descriptive than you already are to solve the issue), or B. your CPU is damaged (still the most unlikeliest scenario of all).  

It's ONLY Fallout 4......

Skyrim, with everything turned on INCLUDING FAA, is *not* pegging my CPU.

Fallout 3 & Fallout NV are not........

Batman Archam Assylum is not.

Mad Max is not.

IT'S ONLY FALLOUT FOUR.

I have an AMD CPU.......Could the game not be properly coded for AMD CPU's??

To get this misconception out of the way, a game isn't coded for a specific CPU.

Your CPU has support for different types of instruction sets with which it communicates with your OS...

Several gaming API's later we are at your game.

So no, it isn't coded for AMD CPU's but it also isn't coded for Intel CPU's, AMD has been slacking the last 4 years and so their "current" CPU's are severely lacking. but they will release their new series of CPU's soon and maybe that will change the market... who knows...

So if you want better performance try cleaning up your windows install, if that doesn't work try reinstalling windows.

And when that doesn't work yell have to upgrade.

I hate to play the bad guy, but your system with a 128 bit gpu and fx 4300 isn't the best for games like fallout 4.

it's a great media pc setup, but not that good for gaming..

All you can do, is playing around with the nvidia control panel and/or in-game options.

Plan b, upgrade the system if u wanna play games like that..

I hate to play the bad guy, but your system with a 128 bit gpu and fx 4300 isn't the best for games like fallout 4.

All you can do, is playing around with the nvidia control panel and/or in-game options.

Upgrade it to WHAT, exactly?

;)

Upgrade it to WHAT, exactly?

;)

Windows 10.

Windows 10.

I have Windows 10.......

I meant that's what upgrading the system meant.

Idk what could be lagging your fallout 4.

Unless your HardDrive is frying up or Graphics card. (Those were my issues I had).

Ok, I'm curious........How did yer hard drive fry yer graphics card??!!

Things breaks apart over the year. My graphics card was old and so were my HDD.

If your harddrive or Video card going out, it can cause lag issues.

All my equipment is brand new, and works just fine for other games. Again, this is ONLY happening in Fallout 4, all my other games are fine.

I'm ready to pull my hair out trying to figure this out.......

:(  :angry:

I ran temperature tests running fallout 4 and an amd 8350 and a AMD 7870 video card.

Ambient is maybe 75F, and the CPU is around 51C.

The cpu-monitor ("HW monitor") records max temps, and something made it jump to 60C but the fans were pretty quiet.

If I had decided to run Prime95 or a videocard burnin-doughnut test (I can't remember the name), the fans would really kick into gear,

So by that background definition my fallout4 (1.8.7.0, and all DLC) isn't maxing anything.

All my equipment is brand new, and works just fine for other games. Again, this is ONLY happening in Fallout 4, all my other games are fine.

Im sorry but as many have said that cpu is weak as fuck plus that generation of amd cpu's have very weak singlecore performance that. 

You should take a look at this benchmark.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/2182-fallout-4-cpu-benchmark-huge-performance-difference

When i switched from and FX-8350 to a I7-4790k it made a major differance for most game but specialy for beth games.

Im sorry but as many have said that cpu is weak as fuck plus that generation of amd cpu's have very weak singlecore performance that. 

http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/2182-fallout-4-cpu-benchmark-huge-performance-difference

When i switched from and FX-8350 to a I7-4790k it made a major differance for most game but specialy for beth games.

I run R9 270x, 6gb ram and i5 2320 and gain 60fps just fine on fallout 4. (More than that if in a test room or interior).

I have way toomany mods installed so sometimes I do end up suffering from stutters and freezes. But to the sound of OPs post, the game does it all the time everytime he plays.

But rather OP gave us a list of what he has done to start executing problems? no

-Disabling all mods

-Verify Cache

-Reinstall Fallout 4

-Updating graphics card (very important. Just because a new one is physically placed doesn't means it's updated to newest.) 

It's hard to help OP on what exactly is going on, but if my PC can run this game, so can his but something interfearing with it.

Ps. Von, English isn't my first language, I don't know what "pegging my pc" actually means, I assume fps lag and freezes, PC static sounds, etc.

I run R9 270x, 6gb ram and i5 2320 and gain 60fps just fine on fallout 4. (More than that if in a test room or interior).

I'll admit, sometimes I do end up suffering from stutters and freezes. But to the sound of OPs post, the game does it all the time everytime he plays.

But rather OP gave us a list of what he has done to start executing problems? no

-Disabling all mods

-Verify Cache

-Reinstall Fallout 4

-Updating graphics card (very important. Just because a new one is physically placed doesn't means it's updated to newest.) 

It's hard to help OP on what exactly is going on, but if my PC can run this game, so can his but something interfearing with it.

Ps. Von, English isn't my first language, I don't know what "pegging my pc" actually means, I assume fps lag and freezes, PC static sounds, etc.

My equipment is all brand new, and works just fine for other games.

My video cards are 2 950's NOT SLI'd

I'll admit, sometimes I do end up suffering from stutters and freezes. But to the sound of OPs post, the game does it all the time everytime he plays.

-Disabling all mods

-Verify Cache

-Reinstall Fallout 4

My equipment is all brand new, and works just fine for other games.

My video cards are 2 950's NOT SLI'd

Note: Please stop skimming over my post (to cherrypick, not taking in every word) as I'm trying to be helpful in a non native language. 

Everygame runs differently, Fallout 4 does not run same engine as E.G Oblivion, GTA, etc. So you cannot compare other games, that's not how CPU & gaming works.

I'd suggest reading my last post again carefully because I can tell you cherrypick it instead of reading it to the end.

And video card has nothing to do with how your game runs besides frames per seconds / produce images. What good is Frames per second if your CPU cannot catch up to the game's engine? CPU matters completely, and that CPU you have is very cheap. There's ways to fix it but if you keep running fallout 4 with that weak CPU, you're going to shorten the life-span of your new equipments you have added. (Lucky if you don't fry your video card).

Edit: What temperature your PC is at when you run FALLOUT 4? My friend said if its like 20 degrees celcius you can overclock it.

As gallahorn quoted 

"Im sorry but as many have said that cpu is weak as fuck plus that generation of amd cpu's have very weak singlecore performance that. 

When i switched from and FX-8350 to a I7-4790k it made a major differance for most game but specialy for beth games."

There's a mod I downloaded tonight (which one isn't relevant), but just now, in the "Old North Church", whenever a feral ghoul came into camera-view, the game would slow down to one-frame-every-three-seconds.

Like looking at still photographs quickly, if you're old and arthritic.

So I could start losing hair over which mod, which type of ghoul, but hellwithit.

Plus I'm gonna guess if fallout 4 has an error log, it's chock-full of stuff I can't read.

f4se.log

There's a mod I downloaded tonight (which one isn't relevant), but just now, in the "Old North Church", whenever a feral ghoul came into camera-view, the game would slow down to one-frame-every-three-seconds.

So I could start losing hair over which mod, which type of ghoul, but hellwithit.

Plus I'm gonna guess if fallout 4 has an error log, it's chock-full of stuff I can't read.

Have you tried playing the game without mods to check different results?

Also what are your specs?

"Im sorry but as many have said that cpu is weak as fuck plus that generation of amd cpu's have very weak singlecore performance that. 

When i switched from and FX-8350 to a I7-4790k it made a major differance for most game but specialy for beth games."

So let me see if I understand you correctly:

In order to play Fallout 4 & prevent my video cards from melting, I need the following:

1. A $1,000 CPU

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117645

2. A $500 MB

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130921

WOW........THAT'S ALOT OF MONEY, ESPECIALLY SINCE I JUST BOUGHT MY NEW HARDWARE RECENTLY.

So let me see if I understand you correctly:

In order to play Fallout 4 & prevent my video cards from melting, I need the following:

1. A $1,000 CPU

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117645

2. A $500 MB

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130921

WOW........THAT'S ALOT OF MONEY, ESPECIALLY SINCE I JUST BOUGHT MY NEW HARDWARE RECENTLY.

Price = Name brand especially msi.

Specs = Performance

Make sure you know what you are buying.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117561 this is cheaper

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117728

Update: and it's like I said lol, you can overclock your CPU to play Fallout 4.

After I wrote this the game, which was saved at the church, stopped pausing.

In other words, it fixed itself.

I'm sure there are tons of technical reasons but I'll ignore them (for now).

This happened once before, 2 years or so ago, on the roof of Faneuil hall.

My specs aren't fit for a forum although it never gets hot (I think I said that, a few posts up)

But I just re-read stuff, this was supposed to be a post reassuring the OP>

You said my poor CPU would burn up my videocard, unless I was lucky.

I've been very lucky for (uh, 17.1-12.11, whatever that is)

After I wrote this the game, which was saved at the church, stopped pausing.

In other words, it fixed itself.

I'm sure there are tons of technical reasons but I'll ignore them (for now).

This happened once before, 2 years or so ago, on the roof of Faneuil hall.

My specs aren't fit for a forum although it never gets hot (I think I said that, a few posts up)

No, Von's CPU is "very poor" when I read the specs and it could possibly damage anything else because CPU is very important for your PC. I do not know about yours or what you're even using (could be iMac, could be Windows)

But when I play games now, my computer makes loud static sounds thru my headphones and my friends can hear it if I join a chat.

So I do **NOT** need another CPU?

I still don't get why my CPU is maxxed out at 100%. Even if it is an old one, I just don't think it'd be registering 100% all the time the game is running.

But when I play games now, my computer makes loud static sounds thru my headphones and my friends can hear it if I join a chat.

HEY! I got that too! What is causing it???

So I do **NOT** need another CPU?

I still don't get why my CPU is maxxed out at 100%. Even if it is an old one, I just don't think it'd be registering 100% all the time the game is running.

HEY! I got that too! What is causing it???

That's called coil whine. But if you want to play Fallout 4, like I said on otherpost, you can Overclock your PC. But know the risks of doing so.

Archived