Why does imgur block images hosted there from being visible on LL?

Cattpride

I've noticed that for a while now, all images posted on LL that are hosted on imgur don't show up, and you have to open their URLs and cut out the "i." from the beginning of the address in order to access them.

I'm 99% sure that this is something purposefully done by imgur, and I know it can be fixed by installing a browser extension, but the question is, why? Like seriously, the fuck? What do they gain by doing this? Is LoversLab some kind of internet ISIS now that needs to be censored, or what?

becuz imgur doesn't like Loverslab, buit apparently people still support imgur for what ever reason, I dunno. Is it worth installing the hack plugin? no. Stop supporting a imageshare that sucks like imageshack when it went all paywall.

So what alternative image hosting options do we have? I'd been using postimg, but after a recent kerfuffle they had with server hosting it seems they're going down the path of forbidding adult images, making it lose a lot of its usefulness for this place.

Because imgur is a piece of shit. So is photobucket.

Honestly, why do people still use this filth?

Photobucket and Imageshack are complete shit, but those are mostly used by people who are very new to the internet and don't know any better. There is literally no other excuse for it.

Imgur however is a pretty good image host, at least on the technical part. What ruins it is the leadership, and especially the community. Sometimes when I'm bored I just browse images on Imgur using the sidebar and read the comments, and the people use that site are reprehensible for the most part, and not just because of the 9gag level meme-ery.

Still no such browser extension for mobile browsers.

Install Firefox on your shitty device. You can install practically the same addons as for the desktop browser. Install uBlock Origin, instead of AdBlock, AdBlock is trash (any version of it), trust me.

No need to be an ass about it.  I'm not talking shit about your PC, am I?  And no, Firefox sucks on Android.  If it was more similar to the desktop version, sure whatever, but it's not.  I'll just stick with my default browser and open the image in a new tab instead.

Did you try Iron? It's like Chrome minus the obsessive Google tracking. https://www.srware.net/en/software.php

Why don't people on LL though just upload images to LL? The Lab has perfectly good servers, and no one here is going to arbitrarily block your content because they disagree with it.   :cool:

Still no such browser extension for mobile browsers.

Install Firefox on your shitty device. You can install practically the same addons as for the desktop browser. Install uBlock Origin, instead of AdBlock, AdBlock is trash (any version of it), trust me.

You confirm what I've said just before you ;).

I can try that browser.  Just hope it's not as clumsy as Chrome or Firefox for Android.

EDIT:  Unfortunately, it is.  It won't let me sync my bookmarks from Google Chrome.  Oh well, uninstalling.

Wich mobile devices do you use ?

Personnally, I have those ones : a Sony Xperia Z3 (smartphone) and a Sony Xperia Z4 Tablet (no need to explain :P) and Firefox runs smoothly on those ones. Back from my old Nokia N900 the old Firefox was really usable too.

• 2 weeks later...

No idea if it is linked, but is it the same issue when people wanted to link the nexus through to LL? Then LL was updated with a age warning and that fixed the rules?

It would be nice to have a comment from imgur for this blocking. if LL is blocked, then why not adult subreddits?

I would most likely say its something to do with this, or at least part of it.

@dragondoom42

This isn't the first time imgur has used tactics like this but it doesn't take much to get around their tactics. I haven't noticed a problem anymore all pictures show up now since I updated the referer link for imgur.

The nexus had LL on a black list because there was no age gate and that anyone could enter the site. Certain words were added to their filter to prevent anyone for posting them like loverslab and anyone that posted loverlab or linked to LL were insta banned.

I started using Postimg but for me the images are sized down considerably which isn't what I want them to do in the case of screenshots for mods and such like that.

Imgur is what I was using prior since they allow (far as I can tell) the original resolution. That's my main concern, really.

If anyone has a list of good alternatives, that would be appreciated. :) Seems like every time I find a good one something happens to it and I have to find something else (like imgur blocking LL for instance).

I started using Postimg but for me the images are sized down considerably which isn't what I want them to do in the case of screenshots for mods and such like that.

Imgur is what I was using prior since they allow (far as I can tell) the original resolution. That's my main concern, really.

If anyone has a list of good alternatives, that would be appreciated. :) Seems like every time I find a good one something happens to it and I have to find something else (like imgur blocking LL for instance).

This one : http://reho.st/

Originally, it was created for this forum but anyone can use it without any restriction. And, even if this site is in french, it's really simple to use.

I use Lightshot to make screenshots (outside of Skyrim, though) and upload them, it's a very nice tool i've found while playing a bulgarian browser game, the support there uses it. At least as long as it doesn't need high resolution, i just make screenshots of pictures if i want to upload them because it's so easy to use. :)

*edit: not saying it can't make high res screenshots, never tried, though. And make a screenshot of a high res picture only to upload it sounds like blasphemy to me. ;)

Archived