Is AC4 Better Than AC3?

Darkening Demise

After getting AC3 for free during Ubisoft's give away months ago I finally played it today. Highly disappointing from a series that's so beloved I thought it would've been awesome. But the clunky restrictive cinematic combat, dull level design, lack of world interactions, no customization that I ever found, and a crap story AC3 made me think of this series as something that is of just another overrated COD (boring crappy game that doesn't change every release annually). But for years now I've been intrigued by AC4's theme and reviews seem positive, especially compared to AC3. So I'm asking you is it truly better? Will it be a game that could make me love the AC series or would it be a waste of $9.99?

PC oh so lacks good/decent pirate themed games.

After getting AC3 for free during Ubisoft's give away months ago I finally played it today. Highly disappointing from a series that's so beloved I thought it would've been awesome. But the clunky restrictive cinematic combat, dull level design, lack of world interactions, no customization that I ever found, and a crap story AC3 made me think of this series as something that is of just another overrated COD (boring crappy game that doesn't change every release annually). But for years now I've been intrigued by AC4's theme and reviews seem positive, especially compared to AC3. So I'm asking you is it truly better? Will it be a game that could make me love the AC series or would it be a waste of $9.99?

PC oh so lacks good/decent pirate themed games.

As for the combat, I found that AC3's was superior (as far as ground combat is concerned). There was a lot more weapon variety that I can remember, and having 2 firearms was pretty awesome at the time. You could use clubs, axes, swords and a few others pointy things. As for AC4, your only fighting options are duel-wielding 2 swords, of which, all the animations are the exact same. There are no other weapon types for purchase, but in an effort to make up for this, Ubi allowed the player to have... is it 6 firearms on their person? In any respect, both games include naval combat. AC3 just made it a little interesting cameo which mixed up gameplay a lot. However, you can see in AC4 that while naval combat was way better, they sacrificed melee combat for better naval combat. So, take your pick there. In my opinion, neither of the games matched the combat versatility of the previous games. Hell, there's less options than AC2 in both games.

Regarding the non-combat elements, I think AC3 was far superior. In AC3 you eventually get to manage a homestead, with it's own characters who develop their storylines over the course of the main plot. In AC4... well... you have a manor... that you can spend all of your hard earned gold on... to make it look cool? I mean, it pretty much doesn't even matter seeing as you will be spending most of your time away from your homestead at sea. The only good customisation options in AC4 are for your ship.

And finally, the storyline. Not going to say any major spoilers here. Again I think AC3's story is better. In AC4, your entire context is that you kill an assassin, take his robes and... become an assassin/templar hybrid to make more money. In AC3, you meet an assassin, who teaches you the qualities and skills of being an assassin (as your character wanted vengeance for his parent's death in the eve of the civil war). He then directs you to the murderers of your parents who also happened to be templars. AC4 seems to just force-feed you all these talents like Edward is some god-like being.

So yeah, it really depends on what you are looking for.

AC3 - More variety/story.

AC4 - PIRATES! SHIPS! AHOY!

Archived