Project: Predator Bow Skinning (Please Help)

morgananinuala

Okay, I shit you not:

I had a chat with the author of Predator: The Lost Tribes regarding the baddass bladed Predator bow mesh that was sitting in the files of his mod, and offered to look around for modders who know how to skin bows to help him bughunt (pun intended).

(I decided to look here: since a legitimate modder who's working on this with his company software can't ask LL for help, and it's more likely to get help here than Nexus)

So, does anyone know how to skin a bow, and would you be willing to check out this awesome mesh and see why it won't show up in game?

The bow is invisible in game, even though it has textures, and displays them properly in Nifskope.

predbow.nif

post-123838-0-44847000-1482431407_thumb.jpg

post-123838-0-03596800-1482431416_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

convert BSDismemberSkinIntance to NiSkinIntance

Sorry for the late reply, but having dug my Skyrim files up again, and looking at the model, I can't SEE any bsdismemberskinnnces.

Could I trouble you to tell me where, exactly, the thing I'm supposed to convert is? I can't seem to find it, and I've been looking over this thing with a fine-toothed comb.

It looks like there already IS a niskininstance.

BSDismemberSkin modifier is only applicable to armors.

I'm not sure what 3d program you are using, but for me (3ds), the export format defaults to NiNode, which is for armors, and you'll need to change the export format to BSFadeNode for weapons.

Also, instead of BSDismemberSkin, weapons use NiTriStrips, so make sure to select that in export settings.

Lastly, compared to other weapons, bows are a bit more tricky to rig, since the bowstring moves when the character draws the bow.

My suggestion is to take a look at the nif file for a bow, and familiarize yourself with the proper nif structure.

BSDismemberSkin modifier is only applicable to armors.

I'm not sure what 3d program you are using, but for me (3ds), the export format defaults to NiNode, which is for armors, and you'll need to change the export format to BSFadeNode for weapons.

Also, instead of BSDismemberSkin, weapons use NiTriStrips, so make sure to select that in export settings.

Lastly, compared to other weapons, bows are a bit more tricky to rig, since the bowstring moves when the character draws the bow.

My suggestion is to take a look at the nif file for a bow, and familiarize yourself with the proper nif structure.

I AM looking at a nif file. That's why I uploaded a nif file.

Which is a bsfadenode. Are we looking at the same file?

This isn't my model. I received it as a nif file.

Oh, I missed the nif file, thought you were just asking a question.

I looked over the nif you uploaded, there were some problems with the BSFade properties, collision constraints, etc, so I did a quick n dirty re-rig, should show up in game now.

PS. Untested, and the weight map probably needs refining since 3ds' autoskin is usually pretty awful.

predbow.nif

I looked over the nif you uploaded, there were some problems with the BSFade properties, collision constraints, etc, so I did a quick n dirty re-rig, should show up in game now.

PS. Untested, and the weight map probably needs refining since 3ds' autoskin is usually pretty awful.

Thanks you so much!

Hey, I'm sorry if I sounded like a raging bitch there. Yesterday was the shitty cap of a shitheap week, and I didn't mean to take it out on you.

I'll chuck it in game, and go shoot some Imperials with it!

• 2 weeks later...

So, I was just going through random pages (Like any normal person would do) and I ran across this, I really like it. But I don't want to DL the Predator's LT mod. I only want this bow, so, is there a way one of you lot could make that happen? I'd do it myself, but I have absolutely no idea how any of that stuff works, and knowing my skill set, I'd probably break something.

• 3 months later...

I hate to reply, what, almost half a year later, but I FINALLY managed to get a new computer and thre the model in game.

It is amazing, and I am so greatful, but the bowstring deforms horribly when the bow is drawn, stretching into a broken sheet.

Does anyone know how to fix that?

vertex weight

do the string part manually

I'm afraid I have no idea how. I didn't make the mesh, I just asked around here on behalf of the guy who made it.

...that has nothing to do with this request.

Archived