Is it just me, or ENB on SSE looks worse than with Oldrim?

• 3 weeks later...

My WIP enb for SSE compatible with RLO and Fantasy Forest mod :P, and TAA is on

tumblr_ojgtiiqc6P1uhbm3wo1_1280.pngtumblr_ojgtj4ybjZ1uhbm3wo1_1280.pngtumblr_ojgtk366C31uhbm3wo1_1280.pngtumblr_ojgtjmwSf41uhbm3wo1_1280.pngtumblr_oj7qdifEMb1uhbm3wo1_1280.pngtumblr_oj7qbwxTx51uhbm3wo1_1280.png

Damn, that looks as good or better than anything in Oldrim. Haven't seen anyone get the lighting and shadows on NPCs correct in SE yet. You going to publish that at some point? :P

Maybe i'll release it on the Nexus, but since my enb still need to use imaginator to correct the lighting and sky lighting, original SSE lighting is really dark
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Compared to Skyrim Classic, SSE looks like shyt. Well, ok, maybe not that bad. But when comparing both Skyrims enb vs enb, Skyrim classic is the clear winner. 310 beta for SSE has almost no functionally to speak of. The SSE enb I am using, is a big improvement over SSE default and its creator is really putting a lot of work and effort into it, but it can only do so much.

Particularly noticeable, is the lack of subsurface scattering, which in classic, I tweak to great effect to create very realistic looking skin tones on the actors. SSE comparatively poor lighting and lack of SSS, means the characters skin faces look nowhere near as realistic in SSE. Im sure in time, these things work themselves out as new updates and tools come available. But right atm, a well modded skyrim classic will easily outdo SSE.

Unless Boris or someone like kingeric or Prod80 figure out how to overwrite dx11 buffers without destroying framrate, indirect lighting and indirect illumination and subsurface scattering are never going to happen on SSE, and it's never going to look remotely as good.

Compared to Skyrim Classic, SSE looks like shyt. Well, ok, maybe not that bad. But when comparing both Skyrims enb vs enb, Skyrim classic is the clear winner. 310 beta for SSE has almost no functionally to speak of. The SSE enb I am using, is a big improvement over SSE default and its creator is really putting a lot of work and effort into it, but it can only do so much.

Particularly noticeable, is the lack of subsurface scattering, which in classic, I tweak to great effect to create very realistic looking skin tones on the actors. SSE comparatively poor lighting and lack of SSS, means the characters skin faces look nowhere near as realistic in SSE. Im sure in time, these things work themselves out as new updates and tools come available. But right atm, a well modded skyrim classic will easily outdo SSE.

Ahh so that's why the lighting effects on skin seem "off" in SE.  Wondered about that.  I'm using the exact same body and textures in SE as I was in Oldrim and they look good except that they have wierdly exaggerated shadow effects on skin.  I'm sure there are tweaks that can be done to improve it but since I'm using the Oldrim version of CBBE I'm guessing I'll have to wait for the official version.  Other than the effects on skin though I've been quite pleased with the way SE looks.

Yes, that is more or less why skin looks so bad in SSE. There is no real means to do the equivalent in SSE with current ENB. Maybe something like it is possible using re-shade?, but I am not sure of that.  There are other pathways to make skin look more realistic I believe, but SSS is from my experience, easily the most effective way to improve skin tones. I can make them look almost photo-realistic with a good enb in Classic.  

The general world itself w enb, looks 'acceptable' at best in SSE, but actors really fall short like I said...

• 1 month later...

Yes, that is more or less why skin looks so bad in SSE. There is no real means to do the equivalent in SSE with current ENB. Maybe something like it is possible using re-shade?, but I am not sure of that.  There are other pathways to make skin look more realistic I believe, but SSS is from my experience, easily the most effective way to improve skin tones. I can make them look almost photo-realistic with a good enb in Classic.  

The general world itself w enb, looks 'acceptable' at best in SSE, but actors really fall short like I said...

Gotta agree with that, skin looks pretty damn crappy at the moment and hoping to find a way to fix it.

But Oldrim's had 6 years of development, whereas SSE's relatively new.  I'm using Nyclix's ENB / ReShade with Dolomite weather. Also "Imaginator" by Gopher to tweak saturation, etc.  Is it perf?  No.  And remember saturation, contrast, bloom, etc., etc. are personal choices.  Doesn't anyone remember how Oldrim was when it was new?  So give SSE some time. Does SSE CTD all the time?  NO!  So for me, I've moved to SSE.  Besides, Win10 and Oldrim ENB's don't seem to play well together - or at least I don't believe they do.

I used RealVision (w/CoT) & PureVision (w/ Pure Weather) in Oldrim. I like my current set up much better. Volumetric fog, rain looks better, but again - it ain't perf. and all this stuff is very subjective. For now, what I have works for me - and the game is A LOT more stable.

This says that SSS is available in SE ENB:

Effects and features includes at this moment: color filters, programmable post process shaders and camera effects, bloom, subsurface scattering, depth of field, lens reflections, fps limiter, fps measure, screenshot capture.

http://enbdev.com/download_mod_tesskyrimse.html

Maybe I'm missing something?

• 2 weeks later...

This says that SSS is available in SE ENB:

Effects and features includes at this moment: color filters, programmable post process shaders and camera effects, bloom, subsurface scattering, depth of field, lens reflections, fps limiter, fps measure, screenshot capture.

http://enbdev.com/download_mod_tesskyrimse.html

Maybe I'm missing something?

It doesn't work period. There are no programmable shaders and there is no indirect illumination of any kind, and any screenshot will tell you this rather simply and directly.

I've tried all of the major ENBs and in all cases I got dog shit performance in exchange for visuals that are, at best, marginally better than a half-decent Reshade preset.  The lack of SSS is the proverbial straw for me.

Luckily most of what I personally couldn't tolerate about old Skyrim's visual fidelity is either reasonably well addressed in the new engine, or where it introduces things I don't like someone has done a Reshade that deals with that too. And criminally under-appreciated mods like Rustic Weather and Lighting and Majestic Mountains are helping to fill out some of the void too. 

But damn..good skin rendering, how I miss thee. 

Kinda agree,

Missing subsurface scattering and specular manipulation is a big turn of to me. Especially when you play as female character and tend to focus on skimpy outfits or closeup shots.

Imo I could live without SSS tbh, it just make skin more reddish/oragenish which could be replicated by other enb settings to fake that effect. Won't be good as true SSS but who knows, maybe boris will change mind.

All I need SKSE now is for mfg console mod, hate these dead expressions.

I find that distant detail and skin looks worse in SE than Oldrim.  Everything else looks better.  DynDOLOD should fix the first when the full version is available.  Still hoping someone comes up with some sort of tweak that improves the look of skin but if that ends up being a permanent issue I'll just live with it.  The only other issue I have with my ENB in SE so far is that I have yet to find an equivalent to SKSE -Elys- AltF4 for SE, and without it I can't use my keyboard volume controls.

just looks red

Lol, no.

Not even kind of.

If you have a shit preset, yes that's all it will do.

If you have a decent preset it will tween between your ss map and your diffuse in varying amounts based on tonemapping level.

If you have actual preset designed to actually support sss, it will express an additive luminance factor to skin based on a combination of your tonemap level and the strength and color of the lightsource the skin is affected by.

Imo I could live without SSS tbh, it just make skin more reddish/oragenish

Well if that were so then I wouldn't miss it. But that's not what SSS in intended to do, which is the simulation of light absorption within a translucent surface material. Some authors do a great job of applying the effect, those that don't though, they're the ones with red faces. 

Archived