Welcome to LoversLab
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Is it just me, or ENB on SSE looks worse than with Oldrim?

ENB SSE Oldrim Question

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

RUD3DUD3

RUD3DUD3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

SSE Enb is worse on performance than the old one.

i disagree on this part im using rudy enb for both games with almost same visual mods SMIM + Noble skyrim HD + verdant grass + SFO and im getting smooth framerates on SSE than i had on oldrim. also games feels more smooth on SSE whereas on oldrim i get many stutters.

Slaves of Tamriel

Slaves of Tamriel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

i disagree on this part im using rudy enb for both games with almost same visual mods SMIM + Noble skyrim HD + verdant grass + SFO and im getting smooth framerates on SSE than i had on oldrim. also games feels more smooth on SSE whereas on oldrim i get many stutters.

I'm not an expert on these matters, but from my understanding, I think they could both be true.

Performance in a software is determined by where bottlenecks are it's entirely possible different type of bottlenecks happen with different settings.

For instance, SSE is much better memory wise and there's little doubt about it. And if you had stutters before, it usually suggests memory related issues. So, it's entirely possible - as I myself experienced when I briefly tried SSE - that SSE's much better on performance in such a scenario.

But also, it's possible that it could be worse in raw rendering speed, like from such a reason mentioned above.

I tend to agree with you on this one though, because I had, in general, much more troubles with memory than low fps with Oldrim. And I still cannot even utilize the whole video ram due to limitation with DX9 on Windows 10, which wouldn't happen on SSE.

I don't know how much overhead duplicating buffers might incur, but my uneducated guess is that it couldn't be much worse than such problems like only using half of VRam I actually have.

Anyway, I think I can now confirm my suspicion thanks to such informative posts like Shiratamas.

It seems I might have to wait much longer than I thought I should before I migrate to SSE, as lacking SSS support alone is sufficient for me to stick with Oldrim.

(I believe it could be quite an understandable position, because... well... it's LL so we all love to see much skins, don't we? :blush: )

chevalierx

chevalierx

Void

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

the rudy of SE is half or 1/10 in visual do more performance and enb 308 is more powerfull then enb 310

just in case if Se id full modded and with the same enb like old the performance will be down ( the se add news effects by the engine that effect performance )

for me is real performance in SE why in riverwood and in city have down in fps ?

RUD3DUD3

RUD3DUD3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

the rudy of SE is half or 1/10 in visual do more performance and enb 308 is more powerfull then enb 310

just in case if Se id full modded and with the same enb like old the performance will be down ( the se add news effects by the engine that effect performance )

for me is real performance in SE why in riverwood and in city have down in fps ?

yes i know about the difference in ENB's for both games i tried to replicate same SSE settings for Rudy ENB in oldrim, results were same. i mean heck forget ENB even vanilla SSE gives more framerate than oldrim in whiterun,riften and markarth. whiterun gives me 45 fps with rudy enb for oldrim without rudy enb it gives me 52, markarth and riften gives the worst framerates ever in 30's. On SSE even with whats available now with rudy ENB i get constant 60 not a single drop in all of these cities.

chevalierx

chevalierx

Void

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

what cpu you have ? or VGA ? to have 60 fps in city

Shiratama

Shiratama

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Rudy for SSE has less features than Rudy for classic. DX11 draw calls are faster than DX9. And ofc better memory management. That's where your better performance comes from. Boris outright stated his implementation for SSE is slower (because of DX11, ironically) -- you can disagree all you like but I'm willing to believe the actual dev over your personal experience.

RUD3DUD3

RUD3DUD3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

what cpu you have ? or VGA ? to have 60 fps in city

My system is old and i don't think it is capable of 1080p gaming :

i5 2500k 

gtx 960 4gb

8gb ram

Spoiler

Rudy for SSE has less features than Rudy for classic. DX11 draw calls are faster than DX9. And ofc better memory management. That's where your better performance comes from. Boris outright stated his implementation for SSE is slower (because of DX11, ironically) -- you can disagree all you like but I'm willing to believe the actual dev over your personal experience.

i already said that in my previous post about visual difference in enb and turned on only those settings which are present in rudy enb for SSE in enbseries.ini. 

Spoiler

i forgot to turn on fraps fps counter to show in screenshots but you can see steam overlays fps counter. ( sse screenshot is above for comparison )

i don't even have SMIM and Noble skyrim installed for oldrim coz im basically not playing it anymore but getting 38 fps in same place.

I believe only what i see in game.

yatol

yatol

Mega Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

I believe only what i see in game.

really?

Spoiler

quin666

quin666

Mega Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

i7-5820K 3.30GHz 2560x1080

GTX 980 4 GB Ram 16.0 GB

My high end PC struggling get decent fps with ENB. I think ENB look ok to me. SSE good looking game combine with texture mods and reshade.

peculiaris

peculiaris

SkeeverBorn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Newer version of DirectX and a switch to the x64 instruction set which greatly increases ram availability can only mean better performance...

If it looks worse is up to the development of the current ENB version and The compatibility with the newer DX version...

So no it shouldn't run worse, and if it does it could very likely be hardware related. For example having an older gpu without proper DX11 support.

I did spot a quote from an ENB dev saying that DX11 hinders ENB features older DX version did have.

yatol

yatol

Mega Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

Newer version of DirectX and a switch to the x64 instruction set which greatly increases ram availability can only mean better performance...

really?

http://www.loverslab...read/?p=1749052

Spoiler

well... you can expect more fps with sse since you can't use much with it^^

27X

27X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

I know it often leads to a heated debate when someone begins to compare SSE with Oldrim, so I'll try to be careful not to start a new one.

I had been away from Skyrim for awhile and recently decided to return, so I had to install it from scratch. Then I realized there was a new 64bit edition, so I thought I could give it a shot.

I was impressed by its stability, especially as I use a lot of 4k textures and run Skyrim on Windows 10, which has a well known limitation with DX9 that makes memory management with Oldrim even more problematic.

But I found that the new 64bit edition doesn't really look great, compared to what I was used to with my old setup. I tried various ENB settings, but all of them looked either too much saturated or washed out to my eyes for some reason.

So I installed Oldrim with RealVision with the same texture mods for comparison, and I could easily recreate the visual quality I liked before. Besides RealVision, I used Sharpshooter ENB before, and they both have such distinctive sharpness and deep contrast which I couldn't find in a few recommended ENB which support SSE.

I looked other people's screenshots of SSE and I noticed almost all of them have such washed out, or overly saturated feel with them, while none of them resemble those visual traits found in RealVision or Sharpshooter.

So, my question is, is it just me or are there any real differences between visual qualities between SSE and the old Skyrim, especially when it comes to ENB settings? Is there anyone who noticed similar limitations in ENB settings on SSE beside me?

I'm not trying to criticize SSE, because I'd be willing to migrate to SSE if not for such a problem, and when I can find replacements for most of the mods I use (which is well over 200 so, obviously it will take sometime though).

Now, my Oldrim is really pushing its limit so I can't even load any saved games which isn't made in interior space, so I always have to load some 'safe save' first before I can load my real saved game. So I'll only be happy to have a more stable version of Skyrim, if only it can look as good as the old one, and provides a similar range of mod selections.

That 32 looks better than 64 is a fact, not an opinion, and no amount of opinion can change that, 64 has precompiled shaders and thus cannot support indirect lighting of any kind short of code-replacement injection. Period. the end. No shaded projection, no subsurface, no SSIL, no ambient lighitng, no skylighting, no reflected or bounce lighting from any source.

peculiaris

peculiaris

SkeeverBorn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

really?

http://www.loverslab...read/?p=1749052

Spoiler

well... you can expect more fps with sse since you can't use much with it^^

Nice screenshot but without knowing the source they are completely useless.

yatol

yatol

Mega Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

you are too lazy to type the video name in youtube?

https://www.youtube....h?v=dT5XOCnGueo
and if you bother checking that video, you'll notice sse fall behind once in helgen

DurtyNelly

DurtyNelly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

I'm using Ruby + RLO + Climates of Tamriel in SSE. I have to agree that the game looks different than Oldrim, but I don't think it's bad. I'm enjoying it, and the fps and stability I'm personally getting. That is just me. I spent more time modding and trying to get Oldrim stable than playing, so SSE is kind of fun and refreshing for me at this point in time.

Spoiler

Nefim

Nefim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Right to be clear, ENB for SSE will be limited when compared to oldrim. I am not saying that it will look worse but...

"If game will be dx11, i doubt about it's graphical modding abilities, because of crap B*da made to Fallout 4 shaders (removed information for shader variables, so automatic algorithms for modifying shaders can't be applied)." -Boris,

This means that We might not ever see the same level of ENB that we do for oldrim. At least, not anytime soon. That being said .... I have seen some AMAZING ENB screens for SSE.  Wish I remembered where....

As for loading saves...on your oldrim game. Try using Crash Fixes. IT seems to help a lot of people. if that doesn't work then there IS one last mod you could try. 

http://www.nexusmods...&preview=&pUp=1

I haven't used this mod myself but if Crash Fixes doesn't work it can't hurt to try it. 

EDIT: I really like the screenshots above my post....

chevalierx

chevalierx

Void

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

i have install Se to my friend i get low fps ( g620/4go/ati 7770) i get low the 30 fps but with old skyrim it 45 fps ????

RUD3DUD3

RUD3DUD3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

i have install Se to my friend i get low fps ( g620/4go/ati 7770) i get low the 30 fps but with old skyrim it 45 fps ????

these do not even meet minimum system requirement to run SSE minimum required is ati 7870, 8gb ram, i5 750/ phenom II x4 945

Slaves of Tamriel

Slaves of Tamriel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

As for loading saves...on your oldrim game. Try using Crash Fixes. IT seems to help a lot of people. if that doesn't work then there IS one last mod you could try. 

http://www.nexusmods...&preview=&pUp=1

I haven't used this mod myself but if Crash Fixes doesn't work it can't hurt to try it. 

EDIT: I really like the screenshots above my post....

I'm already using it and it was really helpful so far. But the other mod finally fixed the problem for me!

Thanks much for the suggestion :)

peculiaris

peculiaris

SkeeverBorn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

you are too lazy to type the video name in youtube?

https://www.youtube....h?v=dT5XOCnGueo
and if you bother checking that video, you'll notice sse fall behind once in helgen

The owner of the video has dated hardware, because my SSE with mods keeps a steady 60 fps but my oldrim with mods doesn't so...

My specs:

CPU Intel Core I7 4790k @ 4.4Ghz. 
GPU Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 6GB.
RAM Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB 1600Mhz.
SSD OCZ TR150 240GB. 
HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ENB, SSE, Oldrim, Question