Blender 2.8 Skyrim Custom Pose/Animation [w/ SE Update]

Before I begin I'd like to say thanks and all credit goes to Anton0028 *and whoever helped* for making these tools.

This tutorial will cover how to pose your character in blender and then put the pose into Skyrim. So you talented people can make even better screenshots. biggrin.png

This is not an animation tutorial, although I believe it's possible.

I don't know how to do more than one person pose. Sorry.

Video is at the bottom of this guide. There is no commentary and I only take you to steps 9 since I currently don't have Skyrim installed. (Be sure to watch in 1080p as 720p makes things look fuzzy(?))

The video is meant to be something you can follow along with if you're stuck with something in the text version. Any questions feel free to message me.

You'll need:

OLDRIM

Spoiler

Blender 2.62+ (I use 2.76b)

Latest version is here: 2.78a

Older versions: here

Anton's tools:

You can get them here: Animation Tools

Can also use the N3+ 2.7 tools from here which include a better rig.

SE

Spoiler

Blender 2.8+ (I use the Steam version)

Updated Animation Tools N3+2.8 tools w/better rig. -- (N3+ 28 version) by "tktk"

Creation kit

(You'll need to download Bethesda's launcher to install the CK at your SE directory.) This is needed because it gives you the tools to convert the old .hkx to the SE version.

(Skyrim Special Edition\Tools\HavokBehaviorPostProcess)

converttoskyrimSE

Batch file which automates the process for you. You should place this in your Skyrim Special Edition\Tools\HavokBehaviorPostProcess folder.

Winrar/7zip

FNIS Spells oldrim / FNIS Spells SE

And obviously a legal copy of Skyrim.

Let's begin:

OLDRIM

This will assume you used Anton's tools and not the updated N3+ version. It's pretty much the same either way aprt from the rig being different.

Spoiler

1. Once download the animation tools unzip them to a place of your choosing. Should look like this: (Ignore the testpose folder, female_UUNP.blend and Female_More_Finger_Control.blend)

tumblr_oi5awpIxyB1vqt7kqo7_1280.png

Feel free to take a look at the instructions, they are very well made.

2. Next open "Example_Female_UNP.blend"

tumblr_oi5awpIxyB1vqt7kqo2_1280.png

3. Then change it to the timeline and hit the little red button once.

tumblr_oi5b2lcYNS1vqt7kqo4_1280.png

tumblr_oi5awpIxyB1vqt7kqo10_400.png

4. Make your pose. (Hopefully a better one than mine.)

tumblr_oi5awpIxyB1vqt7kqo9_1280.png

5. Click "Run Script" at the bottom of the script on your left.

tumblr_oi5b2lcYNS1vqt7kqo2_1280.png

6. A "zBoneKeys.txt file will be made in the Animation Tools folder.

tumblr_oi5b2lcYNS1vqt7kqo5_1280.png

7. Now you would run "Convert.bat" and it would automatically convert the .txt file to a usable .hkx file. But it will leave behind zBoneKeys.txt and a empty_new.kf file. I dislike that so I did a simple edit of the .bat file. It'll ask you if you want to delete those left over files (y/n) and if you want to rename your .hkx file. Obviously you can just delete them and rename them yourself, but I like the lazy way. smile.png It's up to you.

Just paste this bellow the text already in your .bat file and save.

@echo off
:Ask
echo.
echo Would you like to delete zBoneKeys.txt and empty_new.kf?(y/n)
echo.
set INPUT=
set /P INPUT=Type input: %=%
If /I %INPUT%==y goto yes
If /I %INPUT%==n goto no
echo Incorrect input & goto Ask

:yes
del zBoneKeys.txt, empty_new.kf
goto wantitdone
:no
goto wantitdone
:wantitdone
echo.
echo Would you like to rename empty_new.hkx?(y/n)
echo.
set INPUT=
if /I %INPUT%==y goto rename
if /I %INPUT%==n goto cont
echo Incorrect input. & goto wantitdone
:rename
echo.
echo What would you like to rename empty_new.hkx?(Without the .hkx extension.)
echo.
set /P NN=New Name: 
echo.
echo You entered - %NN% correct? (y/n)
echo.
set INPUT=
if /I %INPUT%==y goto doit
if /I %INPUT%==n goto rename
echo Incorrect input. & goto rename
pause

:doit
rename empty_new.hkx %NN%.hkx
goto cont

:cont
pause
exit

This is what your file should look like:

tumblr_oi5awpIxyB1vqt7kqo4_1280.png

8. I'm going to assume you did the above and continue.

Run the .bat file, read the questions and answer them how you like.

If you want to rename your empty_new.hkx file then rename it "mt_idle"

This will overwrite your idle stance. It's for quick testing of poses. If you want to put the pose in-game without it overwriting your idle stance, skip this and do what it say's in step 12.

tumblr_oi5b2lcYNS1vqt7kqo1_1280.png

SE

Spoiler

1. Unpack the file anywhere. (Desktop, Downloads, etc..) and load up a blend file, like the female.blend. (make sure it loads into blender 2.8)

Spoiler

2099435768_Annotation2019-12-17140742.jpg.c4ef01a9653d4f9a1dc9bbcce44ca853.jpg

Convert -- This is where your .hkx will go.

tool -- You can ignore this folder. This is what you'd usually go to when you want to convert your file to hkx, but it's automated now with the script you run in Blender and the output is dumped to convert folder.

Female.blend -- Female rig

Male.blend -- Male rig

readme.txt --  Standard readme in japanese. Google translate if you want to read it.

2099954568_Annotation2019-12-17141050.thumb.jpg.0409b795ddb85a55fe3d3a97dcacd4c2.jpg

This is what you should see when you load up either one of the .blend files.

Dope Sheet -- "The Dope Sheet gives the animator a birds-eye-view of the keyframes inside the scene." - Not seen much use in this. Just gives you a view of all keyframes which is nice.

Graph Editor -- "The Graph Editor allows users to adjust animation curves over time for any animatable property." - This will be the one you use the most in animation to get fluid motions.

Timeline -- " The Timeline editor, identified by a clock icon, is used for manipulating keyframes and scrubbing the playhead." - I use this one for simple poses, but can also be used for animation, although I'd recommend to use the graph editor.

Text Editor -- This is where you'll be running the script once you've done your pose/animation. (The run script button)

Check out this for a more detailed guide on animation. (Google translated from Japanese)

2. Once you've done your pose/animation, you can hit run script and your animation or pose will be output to \Animation Tools N3+28\convert. (Named Defaultpose.hkx)

3. Take the .hkx, navigate to \steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Tools\HavokBehaviorPostProcess and paste it in there. Run the "converttoskyrimSE.bat" this will allow it to work with SE now.

4. Rename it to mt_idle.hkx to do a quick test in-game. (This will replace your main characters idle. I use this to test out my poses/animations to make sure they look good.)

The rest of the method is the same as with oldrim so you can continue with the guide below.

1. Your new file will be set as your idle pose. (This is just for quick testing.)

Now make a folder structure like this:

testpose > meshes > actors > character > animations > female > Drop your idle .hkx file here.

zip your testpose folder up and install it like any other mod.

tumblr_oi5awpIxyB1vqt7kqo5_1280.png

tumblr_oi5awpIxyB1vqt7kqo8_1280.png

2. Run FNIS (make sure "GENDER Specific Animations" is checked.

tumblr_oi5awpIxyB1vqt7kqo1_400.png

If you don't see this you did something wrong. Grab a drink and try again. shy.gif

3. Once you load Skyrim up your character will/should be in the pose you made.

tumblr_oi5b2lcYNS1vqt7kqo7_1280.jpg

4. Now, obviously this is an idle pose so we can't use this.

So when you rename the file, just rename it to one of the FNIS spells animations. To find the animations go to MO/2 and type FNIS Spells in the search box, right click, Open in explorer > Meshes > actors > characters >  animations > FNISSpells > "back any one of these up (FNISSPa001 for example.) rename your custom pose to "FNISSPa001" and replace it with the one in the above folder.

(Sorry I don't know how to find it for NMM, but I'm assuming it's similar.)

tumblr_oi5awpIxyB1vqt7kqo6_1280.png

5. Run FNIS again. (You won't get any visual cue that it's working like before. So just jump in game and see if it is.

Credit and thanks to amply for figuring out you might not have to run FNIS every single time. (I haven't tested this myself.)

if you already fnis'd the first rough copy of the pose and load it in skyrim, then you update the bones on blender and create a new modified pose hkx file, you can take that file and replace it in the skyrim folder immediately. And if you just reload the pose in skyrim, it updates to the new modified pose! No second FNIS update required!

Also thanks to Funnybizness for helping me out with my custom pose goal.

6. Once in game find your FNIS spells (Selection and Player)

tumblr_oi5b2lcYNS1vqt7kqo8_1280.jpg

cast the selection spell first. Pick a1.

tumblr_oi5e2kDjLq1vqt7kqo1_1280.png

Then a1 again.

tumblr_oi5b2lcYNS1vqt7kqo3_1280.png

7. Now cast the Player idle spell.

tumblr_oi5b2lcYNS1vqt7kqo6_1280.jpg

If you're still stuck:

Click for video

Now go and make more awesome poses/animations. biggrin.png

You're also able to make SLAL packs, but that requires a little be more time and work. I may add onto this guide if enough people request it.

• 3 months later...

Wow.  This is the first Blender tutorial I have ever actually UNDERSTOOD!  And it didn't even try to force me to use a video, which is impossible on my connection.

Just wow.  Thank you tonnes!

Now.... Any chance you could do a similar tutorial on how to rig a mesh?  Because NifSkope doesn't play nice with Poser, which is the only modelling program I've actually ever been able to use right... And I know Blender and NifSkope are good buddies.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2018 at 11:01 PM, gt9797 said:

I know this is years later, but is it possible to replace the unp object with a custom cbbe obj?

I too would like to find out if this is possible with a custom body object.

I also have a question regarding the camera. Some times my camera gets positioned off to the side so my character isn't centered. How do I make sure that this doesn't happen?

And thanks for this awesome guide by the way. Made about 50+ poses so far. 

• 2 months later...
On 1/1/2018 at 11:01 PM, gt9797 said:

I know this is years later, but is it possible to replace the unp object with a custom cbbe obj?

If you mean to change the unp body to a cbbe one? My main body was a cbbe body, the unp body in the blend file is really only there for a visual cue and the bones are all that matter. Swapping the body over is probably possible, but would most likely cause issues with the weight painting. I'd personally suggest using the unp blender file and just keep tweaking the pose and looking at it in-game until you get it how you want with your own body.

On 1/11/2018 at 12:00 AM, Enelysion said:

I too would like to find out if this is possible with a custom body object.

I also have a question regarding the camera. Some times my camera gets positioned off to the side so my character isn't centered. How do I make sure that this doesn't happen?

And thanks for this awesome guide by the way. Made about 50+ poses so far. 

It's been so long since i've messed around with this and i can't say i ever got that issue. Does this only happen when you go into a pose? If so i guess all you can do is just use freecam to take your screenshots and then it shouldn't be an issue because once you go back to the default idle the camera should be centered again, hopefully. Sorry i can't be of more help.

It's been so long since i've messed around with this and i can't say i ever got that issue. Does this only happen when you go into a pose? If so i guess all you can do is just use freecam to take your screenshots and then it shouldn't be an issue because once you go back to the default idle the camera should be centered again, hopefully. Sorry i can't be of more help.

I've gotten to a point where I just simply open the UNP blender file if I wanna create a completely new pose, so that there's no possibility of the camera messing up. Normally I would use a pose i've already created (I save each one as a blender file) if the pose looks similar to a pose i'm about to make, just to save some time, you know. 

I think I might have messed something up during the time I was learning Blender and working out how to move the bones etc. So yeah, I just open the base UNP blender file from now on. Haven't had any issues with the camera since then.

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2019 at 5:02 PM, ZMD78 said:

Hi step 7

getting the error the system cannot find the specified file...any suggestions?  thanks

Hey, terribly sorry for the late reply. I have since updated this guide.

There is no current way to work with oldrim in 2.8+ (Not that I know off as the script will always throw the error. You must use 2.7x)

If you are making anything for the special edition, I'd recommend you take a look at the updated guide and download the new N3+ version with improved rigs.

On 6/12/2019 at 2:32 PM, Mahanar said:

Thanks for the tutorial... is there any quick, noob posing tutorial for blender?

For example I'd like to create a jump pose but the bones feet are lock to group

Hello, guide has since been updated and you should use the new N3+ tools for either oldrim or se. (Make sure you get the correct version.)

Oldrim needs N3+ 27 tools and can only be used on Blender 2.7x

SE needs N3+ 28 tools and can only be used on Blender 2.8x

On 9/15/2018 at 11:36 AM, gusrudfhr1 said:

can you show me how to input object like spear, another actor like riekling ...

Importing another object is easy enough, but outside the scope of this tutorial for the time being. If I get around to it, I'll add on to the guide working with objects, etc..

You can currently only do male and female animations/poses etc.. There have been no other rigs made for the Blender version of other actors. (giants, horse, riekling, etc..) or none that I've found anyways.

If you want to animate with other animals, I'd highly suggest using the whole 3ds max/maya way since most of the actors rigs are already made by the community. Takes a little bit of work setting everything up and hunting down the correct versions, but once it's setup, it's setup for good.

• 1 month later...
On 12/17/2019 at 9:24 PM, SepticSpoon said:

Hey, terribly sorry for the late reply. I have since updated this guide.

There is no current way to work with oldrim in 2.8+ (Not that I know off as the script will always throw the error. You must use 2.7x)

If you are making anything for the special edition, I'd recommend you take a look at the updated guide and download the new N3+ version with improved rigs.

Hello, guide has since been updated and you should use the new N3+ tools for either oldrim or se. (Make sure you get the correct version.)

Oldrim needs N3+ 27 tools and can only be used on Blender 2.7x

SE needs N3+ 28 tools and can only be used on Blender 2.8x

Importing another object is easy enough, but outside the scope of this tutorial for the time being. If I get around to it, I'll add on to the guide working with objects, etc..

You can currently only do male and female animations/poses etc.. There have been no other rigs made for the Blender version of other actors. (giants, horse, riekling, etc..) or none that I've found anyways.

If you want to animate with other animals, I'd highly suggest using the whole 3ds max/maya way since most of the actors rigs are already made by the community. Takes a little bit of work setting everything up and hunting down the correct versions, but once it's setup, it's setup for good.

Thankyou ive been away also a while, just got back to this ..Thanks for the advise and replies ill give it go :))

btw im running SE and 2.8 with the new tools

Update:

Just had a look at the template female..how come there is less bone detail and missing toe bones all together with the new templates- see images:

new female blend file:

missing toe bones.JPG

old female blend file:

old female blend.JPG

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/26/2021 at 2:01 AM, FlufyFox said:

So we can only create animations to LE using Blender 2.7?

The current version of the N3+ tools for Blender 2.8/2.9 also works for LE. What's more, N3+ has the critical advantage that its conversion script actually calculates arm rotations correctly - with the original N3, they tend to be somewhat off.