Skyrim Special Edition or original Skyrim?

lambient1988

In testing my own mod development work, I have a heavily modded SE installation (112 mods), and an Oldrim installation with 3 mods installed.. and it's actually hilarious how the SE sits at 60fps, stable as a rock, smooth as silk.. whilst Oldrim, suffers from performance drops, has those micro stutters every so often and CTD's regularly. My god.. the argument as to whether to use SE or Oldrim is over.

Yeah, there's a little bit of Luddite zeal creeping into the thread. I'm one of those folks who said I couldn't live without SKSE and those mods with hard dependencies to it, but now that I've had time to really get a feel for how good SSE runs across the board, with 110 esps and up, well I'm fast learning to. Getting SkyUI to work was the thing that really swung it for me.

Oldrim is a sick, mangey dog, the sooner it's taken out back and mercifully shot in the head, the better. March can't come soon enough for most folks I'd imagine. 

whilst Oldrim, suffers from performance drops, has those micro stutters every so often and CTD's regularly

stutters and ctd with mostly vanilla?

there's 1 go of texture, 1 go of meshes, 1 go of sound, 200 mo of esm...

that was made for consoles much weaker than whatever you probably pick for you pc since skyrim release...

don't know much about vanilla ctd, that's more than 5 years old, the ones that play on console are more fiable than pc gamers that mess with stuff they shouldn't mess with for that

my load order is such a mess i can't load it in crap kit

you can do that?

not taking about loading mod x with his masters skyrim esm and update, loading crap kit with all esp

170109035721495268.jpg

no idea what crap kit do with whatever i check, but if i enable unof skyrim patch, it will crash

i know my mess, i made it, immersive armors inject some stuff in unof patch for mod x and his immersive armor patch i put in unof patch

doubt that kind of stuff is the problem, no idea what crap kit don't like

there will be something in the txt if you don't have texture y, same if it can't load a nif, can't find something in a script (you only have that in the log once the game load that script)...

it's for that i tried to load crap kit on my load order

there's also a lot of crap in that editorwarning.txt

170109035721959113.jpg

those previous info crap kit can't find are there...

17010905053592077.jpg

complicated to find problems that are real problems in that mess

whilst Oldrim, suffers from performance drops, has those micro stutters every so often and CTD's regularly

Yes, my heavily modded SE runs much better than an almost un-modded Oldrim. 

and so many enb on nexus have no impact on performance

or not^^

you can repeat how many time you want skyrim stutter, i don't stutter and it won't make me stutter (if you want me to stutter, find me some 8k textures pack, i can still waste some ram)

Yes, my heavily modded SE runs much better than an almost un-modded Oldrim. 

and so many enb on nexus have no impact on performance

or not^^

you can repeat how many time you want skyrim stutter, i don't stutter and it won't make me stutter (if you want me to stutter, find me some 8k textures pack, i can still waste some ram)

..... :huh:

The supposition is that this new iteration of the Skyrim engine, unmodded, runs significantly better (eg more stably) than unmodded old Skyrim did. A modded SE, sans SKSE scripts, also runs better than a similarly modded Oldrim. 

If one accepts that to be true (there's a distinct absence of folks turning up in this thread to share experiences to the contrary) it seems reasonable to conclude that SE with SKSE64 will continue this upward trend in stability and performance.

End of discussion?

The supposition is that this new iteration of the Skyrim engine, unmodded, runs significantly better (eg more stably) than unmodded old Skyrim did. A modded SE, sans SKSE scripts, also runs better than a similarly modded Oldrim. 

If one accepts that to be true (there's a distinct absence of folks turning up in this thread to share experiences to the contrary) it seems reasonable to conclude that SE with SKSE64 will continue this upward trend in stability and performance.

End of discussion?

Whoa, whoa, whoa! This is not the place for well-reasoned thought and and logical conclusions based on the available evidence. :P

End of discussion?

Whoa, whoa, whoa! This is not the place for well-reasoned thought and and logical conclusions based on the available evidence. :P

Yes, how dare you bring a modicum of sanity and reasoning to the internet!!!!  Begone HERETIC!!!!!!!!!!!   :@ 

Oh wait.  This isn't that OTHER thread.  Please continue... :angel:

my car don't run better than the old one because it is newer, but because i broke the motor of the old one

do you crash less in sse because you no longer need enb to use more than 4 go ram?

or because there's some godrays?

or because nitrishape was replaced by x (don't know the difference, like nitrishape vs nitristrips... euh...)?

or because the ps4 have multi core (skyrim suck with multi core because of the consoles it was made for, it should suck less with an upgrade for consoles that have multi core)?

or because the sound files were compressed?

or because some grass was add to riverwood?

i was crashing less when i gave up perkus save to try requiem

not because of requiem, but because all the mess i had in perkus save wasn't in that new save

starting a new save in sse, of course you no longer crash because of the mess you had in your save

will you be able to not get your sse save in the same state?

i do the same mess as before, if my requiem save is still alive, it's only because i go back to earlier save after trying a mod that suck

End of discussion?

This is a reasonable stand and I would agree with it if we are in the ideal situation where everybody has the same setup that was created in the same way. The thing is that the  biggest cause for problems with how stable Oldrim runs are the players installing mods. 

Even if you pay attention to what you are doing and read everything related to the mods it is still possible to make mistakes. The more mods and the more complicated and interconnected the mods, the easier to make a mistake. 

Looking at all bug, crash, bad performance threads here, on Nexus and elsewhere you can see that most of them were caused by the player incorrectly installing something, not by the mods themselves. SSE doesn't have as many complex and interconnected mods yet. 

Also my experience as a programmer is telling me to never assume how a complicated system like this will behave especially when it has it's inconsistencies and quirks like this one. 

My point with all this is that we don't know if SSE will have problems after the new script extender is released. There is no point in putting the cart before the horse, we just have to wait and see.

End of discussion?

This is a reasonable stand and I would agree with it if we are in the ideal situation where everybody has the same setup that was created in the same way. The thing is that the  biggest cause for problems with how stable Oldrim runs are the players installing mods. 

Even if you pay attention to what you are doing and read everything related to the mods it is still possible to make mistakes. The more mods and the more complicated and interconnected the mods, the easier to make a mistake. 

Looking at all bug, crash, bad performance threads here, on Nexus and elsewhere you can see that most of them were caused by the player incorrectly installing something, not by the mods themselves. SSE doesn't have as many complex and interconnected mods yet. 

Also my experience as a programmer is telling me to never assume how a complicated system like this will behave especially when it has it's inconsistencies and quirks like this one. 

My point with all this is that we don't know if SSE will have problems after the new script extender is released. There is no point in putting the cart before the horse, we just have to wait and see.

It's not just mods that affect stability. Very few people have the exact same hardware and software, and even those that do never have the exact same performance because of loose tolerances in programming, hardware manufacturing, even hardware architecture. Mods are often the cause of instability in Bethesda games, but even someone who does everything exactly right can fall prey to problems outside of the game. The most notorious of this in Oldrim is its default MS Visual C++ program, DX11. Players are better off uninstalling that and using the latest version (DX15 at this time). I can't even count the number of times that Oldrim crashed because DX11 couldn't keep up with the graphical loads and crashed itself along with the game.

It also doesn't help that Bethesda's quality control standards themselves are extremely loose to nonexistent. Instead it falls to modders to create patches to tighten up programming and improve both performance and stability. Even then they can't actually fix anything. They just add supports to a poorly laid foundation.

my car don't run better than the old one because it is newer, but because i broke the motor of the old one

It's not just a newer car! It's a better car.

Please read up about 32bit vs 64bit.

We DO know that there will be problems after the script extender is released. Nobody has claimed that SE completely eliminates problems that scripting can cause.

You can already crash SE with scripted mods right now.

The difference is that, due to core improvements, crashing the game with mods (scripted or otherwise) is more difficult to do.

It is significantly more stable.

Depends on you OP.

Do you want bigger mod list? Then use Skyrim.

Do you want smaller mod list(which is getting bigger as time pass)? Then use Skyrim: Special Edition.

The major difference between Skyrim and Skyrim Special Edition is the fact that SSE is a 64-bit game which opens up alot more things to modders and it can use 8 GB RAM.

The only thing that the Old Skyrim has to the New Skyrim is SKSE. Until SKSE64-bit is done then Old Skyrim will always be ahead but when its done then New Skyrim will be ahead.

People saying that there are not much changes from 32-bit to 64-bit should be ignored because the change to 64-bit does not only increase memory allocation but it does alot more things.

Read this page that explains about 64-bit

Please read up about 32bit vs 64bit.

wrote something about how the skyrim exe handle cpu above...

maybe you have no idea what you are talking about

if you give water to your ferrarri, i doubt my car won't crush it^^

You can already crash SE with scripted mods right now.

The difference is that, due to core improvements, crashing the game with mods (scripted or otherwise) is more difficult to do.

not really since those crash you can't do anything about have nothing to do with scripts

170114042608429336.jpg

and the only one that can take care of them is you, and since you won't do it... have fun crashing^^

Until folks make the effort to mod and play SSE they aren't really in a position to thoroughly answer the OP's question. Your tes5 caps of Oldrim aren't contributing much of anything to that question either. At least consider wrapping them in spoilers so we don't all have to look at them? 

Download SSE, put together a large mod load order that alters the game fairly significantly , get a character to 20, talk about that experience - that's what everyone interested in SSE should do in my opinion. Why wouldn't they, it's free?  

Until folks make the effort to mod and play SSE they aren't really in a position to thoroughly answer the OP's question. Your tes5 caps of Oldrim aren't contributing much of anything to that question either. At least consider wrapping them in spoilers so we don't all have to look at them? 

Download SSE, put together a large mod load order that alters the game fairly significantly , get a character to 20, talk about that experience - that's what everyone interested in SSE should do in my opinion. Why wouldn't they, it's free?  

Yatol won't do it, he however feels confident enough in his opinion that he likes to shoot down any thread that features SE, regardless that he doesn't even run SE. His mind is already made up, and no amount of logic will stand in his way.

The only thing that holds me from playing SE atm is that I am unable to use my Oldrim char.

SE runs really smooth

Was thinking about creating standalone race, might work with custom head.nifs as presets.

That's the same reason that I find myself waiting. I could even put up with the old UI if I had to. Even though I know SkyUI 2.2 works apparently, but I'm just trying to make a point. :P I would just miss my dark elves so much! Vanilla dark elf faces look nothing like how I customized mine, sadly.

There's also the issue of so many of my mods being reliant on SKSE. Though I suspect half of them probably wont be ported over because they're either not supported/being worked on anymore, or the author has no interest in SSE.

But, come March if SKSE64 is indeed ready by then, I'll be eagerly awaiting some of the mods I use to be converted. Then I will seriously consider trying SSE. ENB can be quite a burden, and Oldrim as everyone knows is unstable a lot of the time even when modded properly. So the idea of a more stable/fast game is quite appealing, really.

Yatol won't do it, he however feels confident enough in his opinion that he likes to shoot down any thread that features SE, regardless that he doesn't even run SE. His mind is already made up, and no amount of logic will stand in his way.

of course i won't do it, buying sse to wait for march, then june, then... what's the point?

have check what mess i would get myself into, unlike you

loading crap kit to convert mods? time consuming crap, and crap kit don't take care of the nif conversion and the rest

looking for a sse version? that mean having to take care of all conflicts of my load order again...

like i said in the pre release thread, i am waiting for the tes5edit convert plugin, maybe in 2018

i probably know more about sse than you anyway, do you know the difference between skyrim npc and sse npc?

or do you know the difference between nitrishape and bstrishape (or whatever it is), that one i don't know

of course i won't do it, buying sse to wait for march, then june, then... what's the point?

SSE was free on PC if you already owned the original PC Skyrim and it's DLCs prior to SSE's release.

then it wasn't free

and i was less optimist than the fanboys (took a look at fallout 4 fofo, they are still waiting for a lot of stuff, like you are waiting for a lot of stuff in sse)

It seems to me that for the most part right now....

Since SKSSE is not available at this time for SSE,

With the general population of end-users making rather broad claims of SSE being "vastly superior" to Legendary edition....

It all seems a bit off, since for one if I were to install those same mods on Legendary knowing what I know at this time and of course those very same mods likely having been quite polished up afterall well, the obvious seems obvious.  The game would run better.

Although Im sitting on a highly modified Legendary right now that runs flawlessly under stress, with cool mods that make use of SKSE and all things being equal there is really no draw for me to make the jump over to SSE at least not at this time.

So who stands to benefit the most from SSE, well that would be Window's 10 users, afterall with the change to Win10 buggering around with the graphics memory caps for DX9 applications those individuals not wanting to turn back or unable to restore Win7 are now stuck with SSE.  Also probably a few people that thought hey I never tried Skyrim better get the SSE version.  And here we are with people pounding at the door for us to convert mods....Thing is my mod runs fine on LE but on SSE noooo no noo noo, gotta fix up the rigging and then if I don't like the Weight Paints that will mean I gotta re-work those friggin things too, such work ><

I'm still finding it hard to settle between them. Skyrim has far more mods, but lacks stability and randomly starts running poorly (indoors or outdoors-closing then reloading the last save fixes if for a while).

Skyrim SE has few of the mods I like, but handles mods far better (as well as FO4 does), runs rock solid and far better with the same texture mods (plus SMIM), doesn't reuire ENB to control memory consumption, and is actually far lighter overall than Skyrim-though I'm glad that I replaced my 2GB GTX 650ti with a GTX 970 as all 4GB of the vRAM gets used at 1080p.

So I'm sticking with Skyrim for now because of the lack of at least my favourite mods (most of them SKSE dependant in some way at least indirectly). TBH though, SkyrimSE is the easiest of all Bethesda games to install mods on. And as soon as it has what I want I'll be moving over to it completely.

SSE was free on PC if you already owned the original PC Skyrim and it's DLCs prior to SSE's release.

then it wasn't free

LOL, okay.

I wonder why Bethesda wouldn't released 64-bit Skyrim back in 2011... I remember when I played Skyrim on 32-bit WinXP, CTD did happen quite often when I simply wander the wilds. But then I installed 64-bit Win7 and it solved all these weird crashes, at least for the moment. And then I Installed SKSE (since it's a must for many awesome mods) and some weird crashes and "out of memory" issues came back at once.

So yes, Oldrim is old, so it cannot handle a huge modlist with a bunch of heavy-scripted mods without any crashes at all. And now we all have 64-bit Skyrim. Let's wait until SKSE64 release and see how it goes with new Skyrim.

Archived