Skyrim Special Edition or original Skyrim?

lambient1988

The new SKSE is being worked on for it. As soon as that is out, the majority of oldrim mods will be able to be ported over.

if they get skse to work with sse, you will have to wait for a lot of other things to be work on (if someone do it)

161226072203882454.jpg

have fun waiting^^

What is there to not like about having the same thing but running better on the same machines? Once the new SKSE comes out, I doubt many modders will bother with oldrim any more.

What's TO like at this point in time, really?

I mean, I get that it runs great, and has a good number of mods available for it at present. However, it doesn't have the mods I use to make Skyrim a truly rugged and dangerous world. Like Ely's Uncapper, enslavement mods, and various others that make Skyrim the world that many feel it "should" have been right from the start.

And I doubt the assumption that many modders will not continue modding the original holds much ground in reality. Truth is, it's HIGHLY unlikely that the SKSE that's offered for SE will function identically. Meaning a LOT of work will need to be done for the more script heavy mods currently available. Unless it's at least extremely similar, I doubt many of the biggest and most popular mods will be ported over by their original authors. Fact is, these authors have already invested massive chunks of time and effort. So we'll have to wait and see if they really want to repeat that, or if they're willing to pass the torch onto someone else who wants to invest the time and effort.

That said, I hope they do. But unfortunately for me, SE isn't quite there yet. I'm reasonably sure it'll get there, but at the moment, only time will tell.

We'll see.....

Trykz

Couple things:

1. Just going by the nexus alone, ~70%(35+/50) of just the top 50 most endorsed mods of all time, already either have Special Edition nexus page counterparts and/or can be used as is from classic's page.

2. There are already plenty of mods ported over, privately, some of which used SKSE but don't now(some people aren't or don't need to play "wait and see"). 

The mods YOU want to use, are either not ported yet, rely on/are SKSE plugins, or you're lacking the ability/know-how to port them yourself.

Thing is, what person A wants from their game, is not the same as what person B wants from their game.

Understand this.

Then you can finally appreciate why some people are enjoying Special Edition; the same as why others are fine and content, with tried and true Classic. 

What is there to not like about having the same thing but running better on the same machines? Once the new SKSE comes out, I doubt many modders will bother with oldrim any more.

And I doubt the assumption that many modders will not continue modding the original holds much ground in reality.

Yes, SSE needs more mods in order to catch up with Oldrim. We can be either proactive or passive about it. I haven't modded for Oldrim since a week after SSE was released and I won't mod for Oldrim again unless it is to fix a bug in one of my existing mods. I can either wait for others in the community to take responsibility for making SSE a well modded game, or I can aid in the movement to a superior platform. I chose the latter. I now have more mods released for SSE than I do for Oldrim.

if they get skse to work with sse, you will have to wait for a lot of other things to be work on (if someone do it)

161226072203882454.jpg

have fun waiting^^

Crash Fixes and all memory management DLLs are not needed with SSE, because of DX11 and 64 bit. It's a question of whether or not we get HDT, NiOverride and utilities such as PapyrusUtils and MFGconsole. These aren't nearly as important as SKSE itself, but once we've had them, it's hard not to have them. Some of the better features of my mods rely on them.

PS: Related to your previous post's assertion: Open the CK with the Hearthfires plugin active. Look at the formlists that begin with BYOH. Now look at the script, BYOHHouseBuildingScript.psc. The crafting recipes (constructible objects) allow us to keep track of what can and can't be made at the crafting stations, but they don't bring the furniture items into existence. The furniture items already exist. They are just disabled. Look inside any of the Hearthfires homes.

The mods YOU want to use, are either not ported yet, rely on/are SKSE plugins, or you're lacking the ability/know-how to port them yourself.

It's got nothing to do with "know how", and EVERYTHING to do with not taking liberties upon myself like the console kiddies with FO4's PC mods. I've got plenty of mods under my belt, right here on the Lab. But I sure don't want others just grabbing whatever they want, diddling with it, and then releasing it for another platform/version without my permission.

Everything else you babbled on about is shit I already said myself. Hence my use of terms like "for me". So take a breath, and stop trying to start shit.....

Trykz

It's got nothing to do with "know how", and EVERYTHING to do with not taking liberties upon myself like the console kiddies with FO4's PC mods. I've got plenty of mods under my belt, right here on the Lab. But I sure don't want others just grabbing whatever they want, diddling with it, and then releasing it for another platform/version without my permission.

Everything else you babbled on about is shit I already said myself. Hence my use of terms like "for me". So take a breath, and stop trying to start shit.....

Trykz

Why are you so aggressive? You could've just cleared up everything you were saying in a normalized manner, but instead chose to throw out rhetoric like "console kiddies", and boasts like "plenty of mods under my belt, right here on the Lab.", that doesn't have anything to do with what I was addressing or attempting to clear up in your post, to which had some misconceptions mixed in with your opinions and perspective(which I'm not attacking or trying to start something against).

I'm not attacking your character or your credibility; I don't even know you.

Yes, you did. By not understanding that there was nothing to even clear up. And by questioning my abilities as a modder with your " The mods YOU want to use, are either not ported yet, rely on/are SKSE plugins, or you're lacking the ability/know-how to port them yourself" comment. The fact that you "don't even know" me is exactly why you should have better understood what you read BEFORE you quoted the post.

Your post was intended to illicit a response. And that's what you got.

But nevertheless, I was NOT shitting on Skyrim SE. I was merely offering a relatively neutral perspective to the OP. And that perspective was one of a "wait until it's got everything you want" view, with my reasoning for why. Eventually, I may find myself making the jump to SE. But until I can use it as I can currently use the original, mods and all, I'd rather wait. And if I find that I cannot, so be it.

Trykz

Yes, you did. By not understanding that there was nothing to even clear up. And by questioning my abilities as a modder with your " The mods YOU want to use, are either not ported yet, rely on/are SKSE plugins, or you're lacking the ability/know-how to port them yourself" comment. The fact that you "don't even know" me is exactly why you should have better understood what you read BEFORE you quoted the post.

Your post was intended to illicit a response. And that's what you got.

But nevertheless, I was NOT shitting on Skyrim SE. I was merely offering a relatively neutral perspective to the OP. And that perspective was one of a "wait until it's got everything you want" view, with my reasoning for why. Eventually, I may find myself making the jump to SE. But until I can use it as I can currently use the original, mods and all, I'd rather wait. And if I find that I cannot, so be it.

Trykz

If the part in yellow doesn't apply to you, then it doesn't apply to you - that's what "or" is supposed to mean. 

You're absolutely right, my post was intended to illicit a response - illicit isn't the word I'd use, though, neither would bait if you were thinking that, as well. It was intended to persuade you into a response to clarify your stance without all the other fluff(of which I attempted to correct).

You're not shitting on SE or even vanilla Skyrim? You could've fooled me. Your posts had me of the belief of otherwise, that's why I posted to get you to clarify. And guess what? You clarified, but you're still so aggressive.

Crash Fixes and all memory management DLLs are not needed with SSE, because of DX11 and 64 bit.

you don't need crash fixes with sse?

oh wait... you don't even know what that mod do...

; Info: Completely disable Skyrim's memory allocator and use regular C malloc. That means memory blocks will not exist anymore

;       and game will not crash at some arbitrary limit. Theoretically it should also be faster (especially loading screens)

;       and eliminate most ILS or freezing issues.

; IMPORTANT!!: You NEED custom plugin loader to run this so CrashFixPlugin.dll gets loaded before the game initializes!

;              Here is the link to "SKSE Plugin Preloader": http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/75795/?

; When this is enabled then Safety Load and SSME/SKSE memory patch are not needed, but they don't cause any trouble if you do have them.

UseOSAllocators=1

; Info: When the game crashes unexpectedly then write the relevant information from crash to Data/SKSE/Plugins/CrashLog/crash_time.txt

;       If game crashes when running out of memory or has other issues it's possible for the file to not appear or become empty!

;       If the game crashes in SKSE dll or a SKSE plugin dll then it's possible for the crash information to not appear.

;       This setting's value is treated as flags where:

;       1 - enabled (TL;DR set this for normal enable)

;       2 - don't write timestamp into file name but instead always write to crash_last.txt (overwritten by default)

;       4 - don't ignore already known crashes, usually ones that display a message box are ignored

;       8 - append file if it already exists instead of replacing

;       16 - when the game crashes CTD without a message box about game stopped responding

RecordCrashInfo=1

; Write messages that appear in error box also to file in "Data/SKSE/Plugins/CrashFixPluginLog.txt"

LogMessageToFile=1

; Info: Warn user on startup if ENB settings are incorrect.

WarnBadENB=1

; Info: Crash happens unknown constructor (TESObjectLAND::unk_24 object), movaps instruction is used

;       but heap allocate did not allocate this object to have 16 align. Crash happens more frequently

;       with high Ugrids because more cells are loaded and greater chance to misalign.

; Solution: Could align only this object or align all objects. Trying with all to see what happens since

;       same error could be elsewhere as well and I think I have seen it elsewhere.

; Result: Fixes these type of crashes. Some people report longer loading times and higher memory usage with this enabled!

; Update: Disabled by default since it's incompatible with some ENB settings, higher memory usage and longer loading times.

;         It's safe and probably good to enable if you are ok with those downsides. I have not personally experienced

;         any incompatibility with ENB, some people say it messes up their game that's why I wrote it here.

AlignHeapAllocate=0

; Info: Game crashes when strcmp is passed NULL char*

; Address: D573A8

; Cause: Most frequently happens in TthkbClipGenerator::activate (0xBF2FB3),

;        tracked issue to skeleton was deleted in another thread while

;        this function is attempting to use it. Have seen in other places

;        too.

; Solution: Unknown. This doesn't really fix it for BF2FB3 because it just pops up in foot IK.

;        If patched in foot IK it pops up in hand IK, the problem is larger than just this.

;        Still enabled because it may fix crashes in other places too this is a very common function.

;        There's really no reason not to have it since the game would crash certainly with this off.

; Enable one. NoTry may be slightly faster but catches less crashes.

StrCmp=1

;StrCmpNoTry=1

; Info: Game crashes when strlen is used on NULL char*

; Address: 46EDF0

; Cause: NiNode names are compared, one of the NiNode's name is NULL.

; Code:

;    NiNode ** v72 = NiNode::children.data - this is iterated until count

;    NiNode * v69 = ...

;    const char * v56 = v69->name;

;    if ( v56 )

;    {

;    const char * v57 = v72[v49]->name; // <- v57 name is not checked for NULL for some reason ?

;    _strnicmp(v56, v57, strlen(v57)); <- strlen on NULL, also result is not even used anywhere!

;    }

; Solution: Unknown, temporarily bypass whole strcmp since it's unused.

; Result: Seems to have stopped the crash for me.

StrLen=1

; Info: Unknown, reported as loading save game.

; Address: 8B437C - vtable seems to be 0 or wrong pointer is used.

; Solution: Skip since this is the last part of the function and already has a check anyway

UnkUniqueId=1

; Info: Unknown, reported as loading save game. Possibly related to rendering. First

;       argument is gNiDX9Renderer->unk_650 which is a pointer.

; Address: CEC5EC - null pointer is passed as second argument to function, this function does not expect it

; Solution: Bypass using argument if it's null. Maybe doesn't fix.

Render650=1

; Info: Unknown, no info was provided. // char __thiscall TESObjectREFR::unk_4D4EB0(TESObjectREFR *this)

; Address: 4D4EB9 - vtable of base form is 0

; Solution: Bypass and pretend that base form is 0 since the function does this check itself already

UnkObjRef4D4EB0=1

; Info: Game is saving location's seen data to save game. The data is NULL.

; Address: 4C6031

; Cause: Game doesn't check for null pointer

; Code:

; TESObjectCELL * v3 = ...

; v5 = BaseExtraList::GetSeenData_40D980(&v3->extraData);

; result = (void *)(*((int (__thiscall **)(_DWORD, _DWORD))*v5 + 1))(v5, v2); // <-- v5 can be null! but not checked

; v5 is IntSeenData, size is known.

; Solution: Only solution seems to be temporarily creating an empty IntSeenData and writing this to stream instead.

NullSeenData=1

; Info: BSFixedString::Set is called with NULL argument.

; Address: A51285

; Solution: Ignore call when NULL argument. Not really a solution :P probably better than crashing though.

StringRefSetNull=1

; Info: This crash happens because StrLen crash was prevented.

; Address: 46EE1D

; Solution: Skip over it.

; Result: See StrLen.

SkipStrLenCrash=1

; Info: This crash happens because unknown reasons during loading. Something to do with behavior graph.

;       One of the more common crashes I get.

; Address: C27A8F

; Solution: Don't know, trying to let game think the value is 0 and see what happens.

; Result: Haven't had this crash since.

bhvGraphUpdateLoad=1

; Info: Crash happens during loading, no idea. Might be related to rendering.

; Address: D822D8

; Solution: Tried patch something but it probably doesn't work.

Unk11=1

; Info: Incompatible skeleton, but could be something else too.

; Address: 46ECF5 - NiNode children access

; Solution: No solution from here, but since it's going to crash anyway we could at least

;           warn user about possible incompatible skeleton and let them fix it. Shows messagebox

MissingNode=1

; Info: Crash, it's function array and index goes out of bounds which causes it to call invalid address.

; Address: 6F3A31

; Solution: Check index before calling.

; Result: Haven't had this crash since.

IndexError1=1

; Info: Crash happens in "MovementPlannerAgentWarp" function, unknown what it does. LookupFormById returns

;       NULL and game does not check or expect this to happen.

; Address: 76E358

; Solution: Game has a check for if returned isn't actor it sets 0 as value, we will do same if NULL is returned.

MovementPlannerAgentWarp=1

; Info: Crash happens in DDB0A0, seems to be used in some havok animated object's vtables.

;       Normally these crashes are fixed by aligning allocated memory with 16 bytes. But

;       this one isn't because it can be used on static memory locations which aren't using

;       Skyrim's allocator at all, this means that memory isn't guaranteed to be 16 byte aligned.

; Address: DDB0B2

; Solution: Use movups instruction instead of movaps.

UnallocatedMovaps=1

; Info: Weird crash with NULL ptr in TESWorldSpace::GetCellByCoordMask_4375D0, don't know why it happens.

; Address: 437604

; Solution: return 0 if this crash would happen.

; Result: Haven't had this crash since, but it's rare anyway so it could be coincidence.

CellNullCrash=1

; Info: Crash when trying to do: v14 = MagicItem::unk_406C70(a3)->properties.projectile;

;       This 406C70 function is something like "GetMainMagicEffect". Sometimes though it may return

;       NULL and in 90% of places the game expects this and checks for NULL result, this patch will

;       fix the remaining locations.

; Address: 7E39EC, 657677, 6577D5, 65FEEC, 8127CF

; Solution: Check for NULL and skip (depends on location) if it is.

GetMainMagicEffect=1

; Info: Crash when game searches node "NPC COM [COM ]" on actor but the node was not found. This is unexpected

;       for game because it uses the result without checking for NULL. This whole thing has something to do

;       with mounting. The function that does this whole thing is present in "StopMountCameraHandler" and

;       "MountInteraction" vtable. Also it seems that this has something to do with updating position.

; More info: Was reported that this could happen if non-humanoid tries to mount a horse. This is a rather specific

;            error with a mod. Instead we will show error message to user when this happens so they can

;            fix or uninstall that mod.

; Address: 6E7F85

; Solution: Check for NULL and if it is NULL then use base node of actor instead of this. It's fine because

;           we only take X and Y position from it.

; Solution2: Show error message and crash after.

MountNodeCrash=0

MountNodeWarn=1

; Info: Crash when game is trying to setup foot IK but there's a problem. Real cause is unknown but for me.

;       So we will display a message box when this crash happens. Seems related to the

;       StrCmp crash in BF2FB3, maybe. Try reducing the amount of installed animations.

; Address: BFECC1

; Solution: No solution from here, display warning with helpful tips.

IKCrashWarn=1

; Info: Crash happens when rendering and saving. I think this is when it renders the save game image.

; if ( v8 ) // <- not null

; {

;  if ( v8 )

;    v9 = *(v8 + 8); // <- *(v8 + 8) is null

;  else

;    v9 = 0;

;  v10 = *(v9 + 140) * *(a2 + 4) // <- crash because null

;    + *(v9 + 136) * *a2

;    + *(v9 + 144) * *(a2 + 8);

;  v21 = v10 - *(*(v8 + 8) + 148) * a3;

; }

; Address: CB051A

; Solution: We will skip this if block when *(v8 + 8) is null, as if v8 was null.

RenderSave=1

; Info: Crash was reported as casting spell. Only happens sometimes. Happens in movement controller.

;       Seems like vtable is NULL.

; Address: 76636B

; Solution: This happens in a for loop and it happens in if clause. We can skip if this crash would happen.

MoveControllerCast=1

; Info: Crash when saving game and trying to render (possibly save game image again?). It's trying to get

;       vtable of NULL pointer which will crash.

;   if ((*a2 + 76)(a2, a1)) // a2 is null

;   {

;     *(0x1BA9344) = a1;

;     *(0x1BA9340) = a2;

;   }

;   else

;   {

;     *(0x1BA9340) = 0;

;     *(0x1BA9344) = 0;

;   }

; Address: CAF9F7

; Solution: Skip function call and set return value to false so we don't have to use the NULL value.

SaveRenderCrash=1

; Info: Crash when game tries to get loaded node but it is set to NULL. Only ever seen this on two people.

;       It is most likely actually related to corrupted mesh being unable to be loaded and game does not expect it.

;       NiNode * node = a->GetLoadedStateNiNode();

;       v2 = node->(*(vtable+0x14))(); // <- node is NULL

;       if(v2) { *((int*)(v2 + 212)) = 0; } // <- we can skip this part since it has a check anyway

; Address: 4C119E

; Solution: Real solution would be to find the broken mesh and remove it. So lets notify user instead of ignoring this part.

; Enable one of the following, ignore problem and try to continue or show message box with object reference form ID and form Type.

NullLoadedNodeIgnore=0

NullLoadedNodeNotify=1

; Info: Crash in GarbageCollector::Add when actor argument's base form is NULL. Game does not check this, when in

;       some other places it does check for this possibility.

; Address: 690A69

NullActorBaseForm=1

; Info: Crash when modifying actor value but the pointer is bad, possibly due to actor being invalid. This happens often

;       when script engine is lagged and spells want to modify actor values a lot.

; Address: 6E07C6

AVSetCrash=1

; Info: If your scripts use more than 65535 different strings then the save game will be corrupt and not possible to load.

;       This fixes it by changing the save file format slightly if string count is higher than 65520. That means if you

;       have this option enabled and your save game would have become corrupt it changes format instead and vanilla game

;       or save game tools will not be able to open it! Opposite is true as well, if the count goes below 65520 after

;       and you save again then the format reverts to vanilla.

; TLDR: Fix for https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/3924850-corrupt-saves-strcount-0xffff-ctd-on-load/

; Address: Around 30 different parts of code had to be patched.

StringCount32=1

; Info: Warn if SKSE memory patch is not active. This checks if default heap size is 256 or less and warns if you try to

;       click New, Continue or Load in main menu. Still lets you play the game, just shows a warning.

WarnSKSEMemoryPatch=1

; Info: If AlignHeapAllocate is disabled by user then fix that one movaps crash manually. There's no downside to having this enabled.

; Address: 4BD832

FixMovApsManuallyIfAlignedAllocateIsDisabled=1

; Info: Overwrite array allocator directly when UseOSAllocators is set to 1. Don't understand the code enough yet to

;       say if it's safe or not. At this point it's just here for testing.

OverwriteArrayAllocator=0

; Info: Player's NiNode (not necessarily same as loaded node) is NULL while drawing world.

; Address: 69B84B

NullPlayerNode=1

; Info: Function TESObjectREFR::CanBeMoved_4D9CF0 is called on an object reference that has NULL base form. This is not expected

;       and will crash. We will instead return false from that function if that's the case. The problem is most likely larger than

;       just this, if you prefer to crash instead disable it.

; Address: 4D9D09

NullBaseFormMove=1

; Info: Game tries to iterate child nodes of a NiAVObject but it's possible that the target is not a NiNode and can't have child nodes.

;       This ends up in a NULL pointer crash.

;  v26 = v22->vtable->sub_5EADD0(v22); // Returns "this" if v22 is a NiNode and returns "NULL" if not.

;  for ( i = 0; i < v26->children.emptyRunStart; ++i ) // crash because v26 is NULL.

; Address: 46CA06

NullRefNode=1

; Info: Something is done with outfit of NPC, but one or more entry is NULL and game crashes.

; Address: 561FF7

NullOutfitEntry=1

; Info: Actor is being deleted and base form is NULL.

; Address: 6BAC9A

ActorDeleteNullBase=1

; Info: Does two things:

;    1. Tracks the last X files opened by game.

;    2. If the game crashes while reading binary data stream (e.g. NIF file but could be others too) then show message box listing

;       those files.

; This can be helpful to track down a corrupted NIF file.

DebugStream=1

; Info: When the game fails to create texture in memory should we display a warning and exit game? Recommended yes because you will

;       see purple textures couple of seconds and then the game will crash anyway since it's not expected for this to be a NULL value.

WarnTextureFailure=1

; Info: Something is done with face gen animation on BSFaceGenNiNode but the parent node is NULL which is unexpected.

; Address: 5A8808

NullParentNode=1

; Info: For debugging purposes, on game startup run allocator benchmark and write results to "AllocatorBenchmark.txt" in Skyrim root

;       directory. This compares vanilla, aligned vanilla, malloc, aligned_malloc and custom memory block implementation. When you reach

;       main menu the game will start the test, wait for a message box to say the test is completed, then close game and disable this option.

RunAllocatorBenchmark=0

; Info: How many objects to allocate and free for each size (8, 12 and 16).

CountAllocatorBenchmark=1000000

; Info: How many times to run each test.

TimesAllocatorBenchmark=2

; Info: How many threads to run concurrently. Most accurate is only running one thread, although you can also try 2 to see the performance

;       of thread-safe code.

ThreadsAllocatorBenchmark=1

; Info: Enable custom block allocator for small sizes. May help with memory fragmentation problem. This option does nothing if UseOSAllocators

;       is not enabled.

CustomMemoryBlock=0

; Info: Set total megabytes allocated for the custom block allocators. This amount is sensibly divided between each block.

;       Has no effect if CustomMemoryBlock is not enabled. The more you allocate here the less memory you have for other stuff!

CustomMemoryBlockTotalSizeMb=64

; Info: Show usage of each memory block in per cent when you open console. Has no effect if CustomMemoryBlock is not enabled.

;       This can help you tweak the CustomMemoryBlockTotalSizeMb value.

MemoryInfoConsole=1

; Info: Fixes two crashes specific to Enderal mod. Seems like something to do with havok.

; Address: EBC0A6 and ECD92E

EnderalSpecific=1

; Info: Active effect list of actors is not thread safe but accessed and modified from multiple threads, this will add mutex to each actor's

;       effect list.

FixUnsafeEffectList=1

; Info: Game crashes when actor's combat style form is NULL for some reason. Warn the user and try to display the actor's reference and base ID.

; Address: 8368B1

WarnNullCombatStyle=1

; Info: Set OS update frequency to 1 millisecond (regular is around 16) and replace GetTickCount with timeGetTime. This is for debug only! Don't use.

;       May reduce performance.

HighFrequencyOSTimer=0

; Info: Make game's update timer more accurate. This is for debug only! Don't use.

HighFrequencyGameTimer=0

you should take a look at what you install before your sse save become the same mess your skyrim save was

ps : and i know the mess hearthfire is... some mods use its stupid scripts for growing plants with oncellattach() instead of onload()

why don't you take a look at the onupdate of your save with savegamecleaner? unof patch don't fix that

That said, I hope they do. But unfortunately for me, SE isn't quite there yet. I'm reasonably sure it'll get there, but at the moment, only time will tell.

We'll see.....

Trykz

You're not shitting on SE or even vanilla Skyrim? You could've fooled me. Your posts had me of the belief of otherwise, that's why I posted to get you to clarify. And guess what? You clarified, but you're still so aggressive.

No. I'm not. You made an assumption that I was, because you obviously flew right past the final comment in my initial post. There was nothing derogatory anywhere in that post. And certainly nothing that needed any clarification. You glossed it over, misunderstood or misread it, and your response was obviously to come out swinging in defense of something that didn't need defending.

So just stop. Admit you screwed up and we'll move past it......

Trykz

you don't need crash fixes with sse?

oh wait... you don't even know what that mod do...

Of course I know what it does.  I've been using it for Oldrim since version 6.  If you had SSE, you would know we don't need it anymore.

I really think it would be wise for you to finally just get SSE before making so many assumptions about the way it performs.  Because, until you get it, that's all you're doing, making assumptions.

That was my original point. The compiled old scripts work in the new game. The papyrus engine is the same. I guess the game itself can handle it better and give it more space to operate, but when it comes to limitations and problems within the scripting engine they will be the same. 

I'm in no way denying that SSE will perform better than Oldrim, my point was that people need to continue to be careful as always when installing script heavy mods. 

The fact that Oldrim compiled scripts run in the new game doesn't mean they won't run better.  This becomes pretty evident the first time you use a cheat to get all the materials necessary to build a Hearthfires home and go from workbench to workbench, using the <enter> and <Y> keys to race through adding all the furniture items.  The items appear at a faster rate and that's all scripting, a bunch of enable() function calls.  You'll see it when you start playing SSE.  The game is faster at everything.

It is my belief that heavily scripted mods harm only one thing, your ability to uninstall them and continue the same play-through.  Poorly scripted mods can harm almost anything.  But, heavily does not equate to poorly.  The game itself and all its DLCs are extremely heavily scripted.

I think we agree on the fact that the script engine is the same but it is used better in SSE and performs better. But I still think it is the weakest link in the chain and only time will show - after the new script extender is out.

The topic about "poorly scripted" mods is very important, but I rarely see it been discussed in a serious way. I haven't seen many discussions or tutorials about the "best practices". In fact I can recall only one - a discussion about the "best practices" part of the CK tutorial and it mostly focuses on low level coding considerations. 

It seems quite impossible to discuss the best ways to build more complex structures. I guess every mod author has their own understanding on how to write good code that comes from their previous experience with whatever language they are usually working with. Including their preferences about beautiful/elegant vs effective codding and their understanding in what is the best way to organize the code. 

In most programming languages there is the assumption that the computing power is cheap and expendable and the ideas for a "good code" rely on that. This is not the case with the papyrus scripts. And in addition the mods are just plugins that are supposed to work withing a system with other mods. This opens additional questions on how to isolate your changes in a way to not conflict with other mods but also not cause too much overhead. Topics like this are (almost) never discussed in a cool-headed factual way. 

Good code is sometimes subjective but there are standard opinions about it regarding legibility, optimization and strategy.

To be honest, I'm not 100% certain on all of it.  There are people who have studied it more than I have.  We see scripts that avoid using properties and instead assign form values directly to a variable using GetFormFromFile, even within the same mod.  It certainly looks more impressive and adds more lines, but I've read that properties are faster, so I'm not sure why script authors have done it that way.  Maybe it's carry over from the days when we had to worry about properties being saved in the strings table until the version of Crash Fixes came along that solved it.

There are other things to check in Papyrus.  For example, a mod that spams your log file indicates the author hasn't spent much time worrying about spamming your log file.  We're going to get a lot of this until SKSE64 is released because it offers ways we can reduce the spam without losing functionality, but some modders will never take advantage of it and their mods will be spamming forever.  Other types of log spam can be fixed via surgical correction in Xedit (primarily removing property pointers the CK never clears even though the property is gone).  A lot of authors don't bother with it.  Another spam cause is forgetting to check for None on things like aliases.  Writing a loop that checks a number of aliases to see if the actors being referenced are under a certain condition will cause log spam if one or more of the aliases are unfilled.  These things don't necessarily crash the game, but they can make it difficult to hunt for more serious errors in your Papyrus logs.

Then there are blatant things like rapid, repeated polling, such as the way HDT heels worked in Oldrim.  If you have to check something every tenth of a second in order for it to work, it's time to find a new solution.

I'm sure you're right about Papyrus being the weakest link in SSE.  But, because SSE can take advantage of your hardware in ways Oldrim can't, the entire game feels faster and is less prone to crashing.  I don't expect this to change at all after scripts start including SKSE64 code, because I don't think scripts have ever been the primary cause of CTDs, slow cell loading or FPS drops.  Pushing graphics and memory too far will continue to be the most likely cause of those issues, but the limit is much higher in SSE on a high quality PC.

I really think it would be wise for you to finally just get SSE

i think i know better than you what i should do...

161227101510922704.jpg

start that 2 years ago

can i redo it? nope, harddrive that had the 80-90 mods folders that were merge in requiem is dead

don't feel like giving up the mods that need skse anyway

you know what do crash fix? not me, don't ctd enought to bother about that kind of mod

after google "too many animations" error loading a save from main menu, end up in a topic from the technical section (full of bullshit as usual)

that's how i find out enderal had put that in skse folder

after a few tests, problem was i wasn't coc qasmoke, small load order, but still the same priority problems... (and no qasmoke in enderal, was coc az, a farmhouse renamed to az)

that mod add an error message to some ctd, can have a use for that, have keep it

you have no use for that? ctd no longer exist in sse?

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/70249-need-a-kind-soul-to-help-me-out-with-modding-ctd-issue/

that "skyrim have stopped working" message while he is loading that's because his controls are no longer disabled in loading screen, some "tweaks" are a bad idea

Few questions,

1. Which one is better for modding?

2. Will it ever receive the modding support Skyrim received?

3. Does SE have all the DLCs included in it?

4. After SKSE is out, will original Skyrim's mods work with the Special Edition?

5. Apart from retextures, are there any storyline or dialogue or any other differences in both the games?

1. Hard to say?What you mean by modding? Installing mods or creating mods? There are not really much of difference.
  2. Most likely yes, give it a year or two. Unless Bethesda released TES6 before SKSE comes out
  3. Yeah
  4. Yes, there were no papyrus changes at all. Just a simple port will most likely work with no issues at all.
  5. SE just added ton of really pointless graphical changes and did not fixed anything from the Oldrim.

now after 3 month of try i remove skyrim SE and i play with old one

no matter skse SE< skse

End SE < enb

How many times going bring up Skse? We know. We know. You can't play without Skse. You can't turn on PC without Skse.  You slave to Skse. OP wants facts not people personal feelings why you hate or love Skyrim and Skyrim SE. :lol:

1. Which is better for modding? Look at Nexus first before ask question. You have 588 posts, you should know answer to questions by now. Winner is Old Skyrim by default.

2. Will it ever receive the modding support Skyrim received? Seriously? Go back question one.

3. Does SE have all the DLCs include in it? You do some research online or read Steam page you get answer to question. Answer is yes.

4. After Skse is out, will original Skyrim's mods work with the Special Edition? We don't know. 

5. Apart from restextures, are there any storyline or dialogue or any other difference in both the games? Go back question three you get answer. Answer is no.

6. Is Skyrim SE better than Old Skyrim? Yes. Remaster game don't run like dog shit with few extra graphic settings duh.  :lol: 

i think i know better than you what i should do...

Then making broad ranging statements about SSE is something you should do when you don't have SSE?

you know what do crash fix? not me, don't ctd enought to bother about that kind of mod

You don't CTD enough to bother with Crash Fixes, but you do CTD enough to post a screenshot proving you have it installed?

161226072203882454.jpg

Aren't there any other threads you can troll, Yatol? I'm pretty sure you're finished in this one.

You don't CTD enough to bother with Crash Fixes, but you do CTD enough to post a screenshot proving you have it installed?

you also have a problem with the ones skydiving because they have 2 in their bag?

that's strange, there aren't 0 result when i search ctd in sse section

161228033145646373.jpg

look like not everyone is a migal130 that know before installing a mod it will have a problem because of this or that (is that even possible anyway?)

i think you can't understand me what i want talk

if you sse skse of fallout 4 the same engine with SE , the new skse64 will be limited

and the enb is the same and will be never like old one

Ok. :)

you also have a problem with the ones skydiving because they have 2 in their bag?

that's strange, there aren't 0 result when i search ctd in sse section

161228033145646373.jpg

look like not everyone is a migal130 that know before installing a mod it will have a problem because of this or that (is that even possible anyway?)

giphy.gif

I'd say if you've never played modded Skyrim, you should start with the old game first, learn the ropes, and experience the content that probably won't be converted for several months at the very least.

But if you have, and you can stand to wait, it'll probably be worth it. That's what I'm doing. I just hit the end of my rope with constant little problems and crashes.

Also there are some mods coming out only for SSE, albeit some people still only mod for oldrim too.

SSE however has caused some modders to start on overhauled versions on all their old stuff, just not much of them have been posted yet because they are all in the works. Zerofrost for example is re-doing like all his stuff for SSE.

i was under the impression most of the big mods haven't been shifted over since SKSE was still inoperable for S:SE. I suppose at that point, we will see if there's a boom in mods (i think we are at the 2 month mark now). i personally have still only loaded S:SE up once and not once for the creation kit yet still.....just feels like I've already done this before, why would i do this again?

Figured I'd weigh in on this since I decided to see how the SSE modding was going...

I don't think we'll see a huge influx of new mods, and a lot of mods won't be ported from Original Skyrim.  This is simply because it's an old game now.  All the people who were excited about it did what they did many years ago, and most likely moved on or don't want to bother converting something because 'a new version' came out that made something not work.  The magic is up and over now, and that's ok. :)

I think there will be another big modder push when the next real version of Elder Scrolls comes out (and is moddable).

Archived