Skyrim Special Edition or original Skyrim?

lambient1988

Few questions,

1. Which one is better for modding?

2. Will it ever receive the modding support Skyrim received?

3. Does SE have all the DLCs included in it?

4. After SKSE is out, will original Skyrim's mods work with the Special Edition?

5. Apart from retextures, are there any storyline or dialogue or any other differences in both the games?

Few questions,

4. After SKSE is out, will original Skyrim's mods work with the Special Edition?

5. Apart from retextures, are there any storyline or dialogue or any other differences in both the games?

Heh, I fear your question is going to receive some very subjective responses. So right away I will state that I am biased towards Skyrim SE.

1. Skyrim original (Oldrim) currently has more mods available.

2. It is my belief that with SKSE64 all the best mods that use SKSE calls will be converted so yes.

3. Yes, all DLC's included.

4. Most mods don't use SKSE, it's just some very good ones do. The ones that do not use SKSE are, for the most part, usable in SE. Many have been ported across with many more underway.

5. SE is 64 bit. You can not make a single positive argument that 32bit is better than 64bit. Because there is no question, 64 bit is far superior. There have also been under-the-hood tweaks and changes to SE from Oldrim which have greatly improved stability.

I still wouldn't even consider skyrim SE since it still doesn't have skse, just be patient. there are still so many mods for 32bit skyrim so keep with that for now.

With all the new effect and tweaks with skyrim SE it still doesn't come close to the original skyrim with mods.

Last few weeks i have been modding my 32bit skyrim a lot, and i'm preparing a new hardcore real play though, i haven't even tried skyrim SE yet,

but i know its still not as good yet compared to skyrim modded.

Hope i helped!

5. SE is 64 bit. You can not make a single positive argument that 32bit is better than 64bit. Because there is no question, 64 bit is far superior. There have also been under-the-hood tweaks and changes to SE from Oldrim which have greatly improved stability.

You got any proof to back up that claim, as I understood it only the render, audio, and nif formats got updated. Papyrus is still the same older one for backwards compatibility/portability. Don't know if they made any changes to havok though.

You got any proof to back up that claim, as I understood it only the render, audio, and nif formats got updated. Papyrus is still the same older one for backwards compatibility/portability. Don't know if they made any changes to havok though.

Check the Steam store page - it lists the minimum RAM as 8 GB and requires 64-bit Windows. If it were a 32-bit executable, neither of those requirements would make sense. The whole point of SE was to re-sell it on the new consoles, and it'd be wasteful not to make full use out of what limited resources they have.

Check the Steam store page

it's just a copy paste from fallout 4 requirements...

161214030007936652.jpg

this have nothing to do with stability anyway (unless you use some of those stupid ini tweaks that allow to ram ctd^^)

Yes, Google, it's a 64-Bit client.

Few questions,

Heh, I fear your question is going to receive some very subjective responses. So right away I will state that I am biased towards Skyrim SE.

1. Skyrim original (Oldrim) currently has more mods available.

2. It is my belief that with SKSE64 all the best mods that use SKSE calls will be converted so yes.

3. Yes, all DLC's included.

4. Most mods don't use SKSE, it's just some very good ones do. The ones that do not use SKSE are, for the most part, usable in SE. Many have been ported across with many more underway.

Ummmm, by converted you mean, they can directly work with no changes to the mood or some minor changes will be required for each and every mod?

What about non SKSE mods, are they currently working directly on Skyrim SE without any changes?

Well many mods work out the box without any conversion process, it depends on the mod and what it contains.. if it contains model nifs then is some cases it requires conversion before it will work at all, same is true of textures. So there is no simple answer. I can only say what I have experienced, I had a fully modded (200+ individual mods) Oldrim.. and now I have a nicely modded (172) Skyrim SE. The vast majority of those mods are the same or the updated to SE versions. My Skyrim SE is just using a ReShade rather than the full blown ENB that I used in Oldrim.. and honestly I think SSE looks great.

The key differences are in my experience with SE so far, far more stable, far smoother, rock solid 60fps on medicore gear. Oldrim at NO point was ever this reliable for me. CTD's are non-existent in the two seperate play throughs I have so far done.

The only mods I am truly missing are: HDT, OSX, a full SkyUI, and RaceMenu. All of which depend on SKSE. While I miss them, I am patient enough to wait for them to arrive.

Check the Steam store page - it lists the minimum RAM as 8 GB and requires 64-bit Windows. If it were a 32-bit executable, neither of those requirements would make sense. The whole point of SE was to re-sell it on the new consoles, and it'd be wasteful not to make full use out of what limited resources they have.

I know its 64 bit, I was referring to your statement of 'under-the-hood tweaks'

I know its 64 bit, I was referring to your statement of 'under-the-hood tweaks'

Well what better proof than playing it, it's fairly self evident when it runs stable all the time as opposed to the crash fest that is Oldrim.

Check the Steam store page

it's just a copy paste from fallout 4 requirements...

161214030007936652.jpg

this have nothing to do with stability anyway (unless you use some of those stupid ini tweaks that allow to ram ctd^^)

Holy... No thats not a copy paste! The difference between an I5 from sandy bridge and an i7 from Haswell is pretty noticeable. And we all know that the Creation engine requires a lot of CPU power.

Well what better proof than playing it, it's fairly self evident when it runs stable all the time as opposed to the crash fest that is Oldrim.

That an easy statement to make when most of the performance hungry mods haven't been ported. No SKSE, no FNIS, no ENB, etc.  And from what I've seen modded SSE still crashes during Twitch streams. :lol:

For me there is only one Skyrim and that is that ORIGINAL!

SSE is a fraud on the Skyrim fan's, because Bethesda does not get enough money!  ;) 

and there is nothing more to To say.

Doesn't them words belong in the new criticism thread not here? :dodgy: This thread isn't a about criticism.

For me there is only one Skyrim and that is that ORIGINAL!

SSE is a fraud on the Skyrim fan's, because Bethesda does not get enough money!  ;) 

and there is nothing more to To say.

Doesn't them words belong in the new criticism thread not here? :dodgy: This thread isn't a about criticism.

It is no CRITICISM, it's the truth!  :P

And I answered to the question, which is better *Skyrim or Skyrim SSE*.

tou have two option

- play old skyrim with all mods and all good stuff

- wait for SE when all mods are ported

for me am waiting i play old skyrim maybe after 3-6 month i will play the new when (skse ,and enb will be supriror at old)

I guess I will go with this.

Thanks to everyone for their replies, it was really helpful.

Few questions,

- 1: Viewpoint of the mod-maker.
Depending on the mod or visions of the author, SSE may be better, or just extra work.
There is no better or worse - it depends on mod.
Mods with lots of scripts and effects will benefit from 64 bit, rather than simple armor, and mesh replacement, etc.

- 2: It depends on whether you have a 32 bit or 64 bit crystal ball.  :lol:
The success of Skyrim-Mods is perhaps a bit pragmatic.
- the big mods (and tools) were and are: SKSE, FNIS, HDT PE, SexLab, RaceMenu / ECE, SkyUI, BodySlide + OutfitStudio, ENB, some great quest mods.
Everything else is replacement (meshes, textures) and new races - and for a very long time follower,follower,follower,follower,follower,follower,follower - aargh.

So not real mods - but without the tools, there would be very few mods for Skyrim.

My crystal ball says: - If SKSE, RaceMenu, BodySlide / OutfitStudio, FNIS, ENB and HDT PE are available for SSE, then SSE has the potential to do so.

The fact that with 64 bit, the previous boundaries omitted and BodySlide / Outfitstudio with contemporary meshes will appear, entices me to the statement.
There will not be 50,000 mods, but less, but these mods will find a lot more fans than before.

-3. Yes

- 4: It has less to do with SKSE but with whether the author ported the mod.
If a port should be necessary at all.

- 5: There are some new things - except new textures in SSE, but no new quest / dialogues - as far as I know.

1. SE, long term wise.

2. It will, as I am convinced. Just not all the mods will get converted, but modding support is not equall to number of mods.

3. Yes.

4. Not necessarily, it depends on that particular mod, but I would think that the reason would not be papyrus itself, rather some other things.

5. E.g. water flow, rain occlusion. Actually, that is neither retextures or dialogue/storyline, but what gives.

Few questions,

Few questions,

For me right now, neither. I have played original + DLCs back and forth enough that it completely lacks any replay value for me, what made it fun and replayable are the mods that alter or add quest lines, especially adult focused etc. On the graphical end I can't play it without high res textures, fully functional vag, HDT style bouncing bodies etc.

I care nothing for leaves, terrain and all that, all the ENBs, fog, light effects and all that I used in order to have better visuals and overall better graphical functionality on player and NPC bodies, not things such as junk objects or terrain. 

Add to that, I took the plunge and left Win 7 64 completely behind and switched entirely to Win 10 along with a whole new rig. Under Win 10 original skyrim is limited to 4 gigs and with my mods I hit that limit very fast. Because of this and the fact that its too much of a hassle and drag to upkeep a seperate drive with Win 7 on it just for Skyrim, the original game is just unplayable, completely not worth playing.

SSE gives me the memory and far superior stability to run everything, but there is nothing available yet that I actually want to run with it. Only things I have found interesting so far are some outfits, but even then it just doesn't hold my interests because of lack of bounce and lack of other main mods to use those with. There are some exceptions and workarounds for some things, but they feel either very partial and incomplete or are too much of a hassle for me to use. I don't get the whole conversion things and all that since I am not an IT person or mod designer, no matter how many guides I follow, always some issues that I am unable to resolve within a reasonable timeframe, thus making them unusable.

SKSE64 will change this, but then there is also the timeline to convert / re-develop mods for it, and I am not sure that by then I will still be interested in Skyrim or have the time to devote to modding and playing it.

So I kinda gave up on both of them, though I do check on how things are progressing (hence I am here) and depending on the timeframe when things for SSE become available, I might or might not come back to it.

Let's make sure to clarify this.  You get all the DLC when buying SSE, just like buying the Legendary edition of Skyrim32 (Oldrim).  However, they are still separate files.  They did not merge the DLCs into main Skyrim.esm.

Archived