Paid mods

Ixum

I was confronted with this issue yesterday with my fairly failed topic of trying to commission a mod.

I made some mistakes with not realizing the issue of 3rd party assets, that is on me. On the other hand I was surprised on the negative attitude towards payed mods. I do get that it would - to an extent pollute the natural give and share that I think is a great  thing in this community. Having said that I feel - since me being in the fringe - I have very few options getting what I personally think my game needs and what a certain community would want- In LL - would like to see in my content. It is all fine for all you heteroboys, you have ur HDT-everything with all ur body mods etc.

We on the other hand must use other means to get what we like and I do not think there is anything wrong with that, if I post somehing "pls make this for me" for the goodness in your heart, it will be burried and ignored forever. 

I've spent hundreds of dollars on new anims for sexlab, adding to all of our enjoyment, is that wrong aswell?

What you're describing really isn't "paid mods".  You are willing to pay someone to create a mod for you.  No one should have an issue with that (oh, there will be people that have an issue, this is the internet you know  ;) ).  Frankly there is no difference between that and someone creating a mod and asking for donations.  Basically the same thing, just coming at it from different directions.

"Paid mods" are really when someone has a mod that is only available to someone who pays them for the mod - basically putting it behind a paywall.  "Pay me to get this mod", "Donate to me and get this mod", "Donate and I'll give a special version with all of the fixes", etc.  The "paid mods are evil :@ " reactions mainly are people still feeling bu... (sorry, apparently "butthurt" is now EVIL thing to say on this site) ... betrayed by the Steam/Bethesda fiasco with their attempt at paid modding.  Go back and read the reactions from back then and you'll see what I'm talking about.  Again, as for what you are specifically requesting, no one really should have an issue (with the usual "this is the internet, everybody is offended" caveat).  I've seen numerous postings here where people have offered to pay to have a mod created.  Of course, it would be nice if in the end that mod was released to the general public.

Because the paid modding issue is still a hot-button issue for a lot of people, your better option is to PM those mod makers that create mods similar to what you want and see if they will take on the request.  If not, they may be able to refer you to someone who would.

imo thats not paid mods thats paying to erect architecture- which

imo is ok unlike paid mods bc paid mods will effect the modding community as 

a whole sooner or later (preferably never) and pollute everything with a market hive mind that is

​unnecessary & unorthodox to both the spirit of the modding community

and internet culture to a point it is regarded so as Blasphemy 

also I remember there was a homo erotic mod site

but I forgot the name of it, maybe you can find it and

find what youre looking for over there

Please differentiate: paid mods and commissions.

* We are not going to support Paid Mods.

* We accept posts for proposing mods on commission (not just mods, any kind of legal work is permitted.)

We are (staff) deciding how to make this more visible, if any wants to ask for a mod by paying some money for the commission.

1) "I do a mod, you pay me if you want it" -> goes the normal lines. No extra visibility.

2) "I wish to pay something if somebody helps me in creating something" -> Normal contract offer, if it is for legal matters (no piracy, no stealing of contents) -> Probably will have better visibility on this site in future.

There is nothing wrong with commissioning mods, given that the mod is available to everyone in all of it's versions as soon as it is available to you. That is, beta is given to you? Beta is also given to everyone else at the same time, with exactly the same content.

If anything is exclusive to you, then it becomes "problematic".

Always think about the ethics and influence what you're asking for sets within the community before you post something, always make sure the way you phrase it can only be interpreted in one way.

That's all you are required to do.

-V

I see no issue with paying someone to make a mod for you.  I have tried doing this myself -- I once tried to pay some people to make an armor.  Sadly, I never got any takers.  But I agree with others that having a mod that is only available if you pay for it is wrong -- not least because technically every single solitary Bethesda mod is subject to Bethesda's copyright and terms of service -- Bethesda owns *ALL* rights, including mods, and Bethesda's terms of service do not allow people to sell mods that are derived from their copyright.  Trying to make money off of someone else's copyright is both morally and legally wrong.

There is nothing wrong with commissioning mods, given that the mod is available to everyone in all of it's versions as soon as it is available to you. That is, beta is given to you? Beta is also given to everyone else at the same time, with exactly the same content.

This. Ashal's previously stipulated that there can't be any kind of paywall, so anything you commission via a thread on LL has to be made available to the general public.

This. Ashal's previously stipulated that there can't be any kind of paywall, so anything you commission via a thread on LL has to be made available to the general public.

Everthing I have paid for is, the the one I asked for yesterday would have been so aswell. 

Wasn't the problem with that thread yesterday more the fact about paying to import assets from an existing game?

Basically to whomever would do that job could make money by stealing another game's assets which is kinda frowned upon. (for legal, and obvious reasons)

Commissioning to someone to create "new" content is completely legal and understandable in some cases (if some people really can't find someone who wants to do it), but stealing "existing" content and making money with it is an entire different case.

Deathstalker - Lol, you want me to segregate myself? (I had to say that, I do not want drama here)

no I meant certain places have certain stuff like if I want Cat Themed

kind of stuff it is difficult to find much if any at all here in LL, sure there might be some

but what if its not exactly what I had in mind--if I were to go

to a place that specializes in such stuff I would go to Neko Mimi (i think thats the place's name?)

where they have a ton of cat stuff- its all a matter of looking for things in the right place

what were you looking for? maybe i can help out

What I'm curious about is how would this fit within the open mod ecosystem. The points below are not statements but questions. I'm curious what people think about them.

I'm really willing to pay to someone for HDT anus for SOS because this is one of the big pieces missing. Lets say I find a person to do that and release the mod for free on LL.

This opens several problems.

1. Everybody will get the mod for free, but it doesn't change the fact that somebody was payed to do modifications on mods that were not commissioned/payed for. In my example - as far as I know the developers of SOS were not payed to do it but somebody will be payed to modify their work. While this might sound OK at first, it is easy to see the complications situation like this will create in a long run in an open-source community. (As an example there are modders unhappy with the fact that youtubers make money with their content. Adult mods have for now been spared all the drama around profiting and stealing so we don't really know what would happen.)

2. I as an user have an idea about what is an acceptable amount of money I'm willing to spend on a game. And in my example let's assume the price for adding HDT anus fits. But it fits only because I have gotten all other mods I use for free. If I had to pay for all of them then I might consider the cost for the HDT anus unreasonable to add to all I have already spent. In a situation where commissioning mods  becomes more widespread that can lead to a situation where the big (fundamental) mods are expected to be done for free while smaller modifications on them to be payed for. 

3. Support. It is never as easy to arrange it as it seems to be. I have experienced similar problems in the web-development. A friend of a friend wants a "small website, just install wordpress is all". OK, I receive a small amount of money, install it and forget about it. One year later it gets hacked because some new exploit is discovered and I'm expected to spend hours and hours on fixing and updating it for free as it is now my fault that it was hacked. I have warned them about this possibility from the start and I have instructed them how to update the WP but this doesn't really matter to them as they "payed to have a working site" and I have failed them.

Going back to my example. I pay for a HDT anus to  be added and release it for free. And people start reporting problems - game crashing, compatibility issues... Who will handle that? For years to come? Some time later the HDT or SOS gets updated, what happens then?

This is a trap for the both sides - for the modder and the "customer".

What I'm curious about is how would this fit within the open mod ecosystem. The points below are not statements but questions. I'm curious what people think about them.

I'm really willing to pay to someone for HDT anus for SOS because this is one of the big pieces missing. Lets say I find a person to do that and release the mod for free on LL.

This opens several problems.

1. Everybody will get the mod for free, but it doesn't change the fact that somebody was payed to do modifications on mods that were not commissioned/payed for. In my example - as far as I know the developers of SOS were not payed to do it but somebody will be payed to modify their work. While this might sound OK at first, it is easy to see the complications situation like this will create in a long run in an open-source community. (As an example there are modders unhappy with the fact that youtubers make money with their content. Adult mods have for now been spared all the drama around profiting and stealing so we don't really know what would happen.)

2. I as an user have an idea about what is an acceptable amount of money I'm willing to spend on a game. And in my example let's assume the price for adding HDT anus fits. But it fits only because I have gotten all other mods I use for free. If I had to pay for all of them then I might consider the cost for the HDT anus unreasonable to add to all I have already spent. In a situation where commissioning mods  becomes more widespread that can lead to a situation where the big (fundamental) mods are expected to be done for free while smaller modifications on them to be payed for. 

3. Support. It is never as easy to arrange it as it seems to be. I have experienced similar problems in the web-development. A friend of a friend wants a "small website, just install wordpress is all". OK, I receive a small amount of money, install it and forget about it. One year later it gets hacked because some new exploit is discovered and I'm expected to spend hours and hours on fixing and updating it for free as it is now my fault that it was hacked. I have warned them about this possibility from the start and I have instructed them how to update the WP but this doesn't really matter to them as they "payed to have a working site" and I have failed them.

Going back to my example. I pay for a HDT anus to  be added and release it for free. And people start reporting problems - game crashing, compatibility issues... Who will handle that? For years to come? Some time later the HDT or SOS gets updated, what happens then?

This is a trap for the both sides - for the modder and the "customer".

1. Put simply, the guy you're paying would have to obtain the permission of every single other modder involved in the development of those assets for money. If he cannot do so, you can't pay for the modification.

It can still be made from scratch, but every single asset must be either original or used with permission.

And yes, he will have to make it absolutely crystal-clear that he intends to take money for the modification.

You can also get permission to commission yourself, and will probably have an easier time finding a guy who'd create your mod for you if you already asked and received permissions for the thing. Again, you have to make damn sure the original creator is aware that money is involved.

Oh and, if some of the original work's modders are MIA, you can't commission an alteration of their work. Any other approach could lead to very, very uncomfortable situations.

2. Put simply, if the big mod's creator is okay with his work being modified for a price, then that's his prerogative.

If he's not, then you can't ever modify it for money, or hire anyone to modify it for money. Period.

If this puts a stop to mod commissioning, then that's too bad. It's their mods and their effort and their time, and they get to have the final say.

Remember that if they leave, there will not be another mod for the next game.

3. Support is something you have to agree upon before paying, and be wary that modders can always go MIA.

The general agreement is that if you commission something, the guy will work on it until it's in a functional state.

Remember that even companies don't often provide support post-release; a good example is Bethesda, they release a few patches that usually do more harm than good and then they disappear.

If you accept it from them, don't expect much better from some random guy on the internet you paid for an arse mod.

Be sure to include a clause in your agreement as to what happens if a big update to the framework is released during the development process.

Nobody wants any drama about "That guy promised to pay me and didn't" or "He promised to create the mod but made it for the old framework" or whatever.

Wasn't the problem with that thread yesterday more the fact about paying to import assets from an existing game?

Basically to whomever would do that job could make money by stealing another game's assets which is kinda frowned upon. (for legal, and obvious reasons)

Commissioning to someone to create "new" content is completely legal and understandable in some cases (if some people really can't find someone who wants to do it), but stealing "existing" content and making money with it is an entire different case.

This is kind of confusing, there are so many ported player models, armors etc from other games available on Steam Workshop (the deadpool race, Overwatch playermodels, Assassin's Creed armors etc). Are these legal to use, I doubt they were made  from scratch? I would think Steam Workshop would be very strict about ripped content

This is kind of confusing, there are so many ported player models, armors etc from other games available on Steam Workshop (the deadpool race, Overwatch playermodels, Assassin's Creed armors etc). Are these legal to use, I doubt they were made  from scratch? I would think Steam Workshop would be very strict about ripped content

Steam is not strict about anything.

No, most of them are not legal, but nobody's going to look into your private computer to check.

-

Some of them are actually made from scratch, and when they're ported the people who ported it sometimes asked the developers of that game if it's allowed.

In other cases where they didn't ask the game company that originally made it usually don't really bother about it though, but when the people who are porting it are earning money with it it's blatant stealing and can create legal problems with the person that ported it.

Donating money is considered a donation though and escapes the problem about the stealing part.

Keep in mind though, this is not my opinion it's just the legalities coming along with it. (although to be honest I wouldn't appreciate it either if people altered my mod and make money with it)

Steam isn't as strict as the nexus is. The nexus will remove them as soon as they see it or are notified about the file while steam isn't as strict. 

Ive noticed some of that, never had anything to do with copy tho. The only time I have been cencored was here cos of my Jesus preset,Nexus didnt do  that btw.

Paid mods only lure the filth out of their holes that make money with other people's work. The effect of that would be that trust among modders - sharing assets and cooperating with each other - would become seriously eroded over time. No to paid mods. We've seen what comes of it in the paid mods debacle a while ago.

Anyone who wants to make money with his or her skills should either try it via donations or apply for a job in the gaming industry.

As someone who makes mods I can only say for myself that I wouldn't want a business relationship with the users as that would change my hobby into an obligation.

Why must everything become commercial?

if its a ported Dante your best shot is at gunetwork, but theyre 

main focus is FO not TES--or you could always try to make

a character look like him and use the preset and the companion guides

that are here in LL

http://www.gunetwork.org/

also I didnt know steam had playable races, do they have a custom body

or can I put UUNP and SOS on them? :P

The real problem is not even paid mods or paid anything its patreon only edition mods. This is kind of bizarre to me its starting off ok, in my past experience most paid mod sites at least for the sims are just rip offs of unapid content they round up, and package nicely for you, with a couple of novelty items but the good mods are literally just stolen and tweaked a little free ones. It is also how "free games" work lets say for Japenese games, most their content you can find for free, and is just some one elses cracks, uncensors and english patches they did for free, but they put them in a neat package and offer faster download speeds. Most of those are dead now, minus the rapidgaor ones. And they don't charge any thing they just break them into 10 peices, trying to get you to pay for a rapidgator member ship to get it, and slip adds on the links. And these guys will do anything even stuff you can get faster for free from the devs.

In fact I monitor one such site just to see new patreon games since most their stuff that is new is the public version I can see the hijacked screen shots and some even steal a summery of it trying to get me to download their junk and i can quickly google it, and find the public version on mega the dev put up that is the same exact thing they want me to use a rapidgator account to download. But that is how that industry works now, and people do get paid not a lot but they make a little side coin off just leaching and re uploading to rapidgator or keep2share. These are bottom feeders. My big thing is I seen a few scam artists that are more fishey then any EA game you will see make it on steam. That promise all these great things, put out little bread crumbs then when they don't make 2k a month like they thought they would they shut down becuase they expected to quit their job, and just rub one easy patch out a month.

Use to be I would got offbeater, or some other site, pay once like it was early access game, and be done with it. This worked it didn't last long and game or item suppurted like that is now patreon fed, luckily I got grandfathered got patreon 10 buck a month access for spending 25 dollars a year ago, that is 120 plus bucks I saved. Now seeing this convert over to mods, I am all for donations, or even patreon to support them. But I am seeing moders who release public demos to non patreons and they will not stop working on making the mods better till they get bored or the money dries up. I mean there are two found just on here I got into they make more a month then I do and are solo operation, why they withhold a couple of features that with out them the mod is just not very good. I mean its better then nothing but the reason you want it is the patreon exclusive version perks lol.

This is starting to grind my gears though I got sub now for each mod, I mean get if you were doing conglomerate and I was paying a sub of 15 a month for 3 or more different hardworking modders content for one game. Like a little gheto website thing of old, or it was like sims resource where they charge a sub for convince in downloading, limit you to one every 10 seconds and I have to have that page open and on top for 10 seconds or it makes me redo it, and if I had add blocker on its 60 seconds per download. Granted their submitters are not getting that much for their work. But it just annoys me some times especially new ones with no real content out just a good promise, and I make the call dumb 5 a month in, hope it has somehting good in 4 months time, or follwo it and wait 6 months because I am not a patreon because most of them that are smart now do a free window till they get the good parts up. Then do a promise that non patreons are at least a month behind, once they do that they make thousands a month, for work people use to do for free with some anonymous donations.

I really afreaid this how next Elderscrolls is gonna go, I means Sims 3, its old out of date has a its framework for sex, no active animiators on it at all anymore, the person in charge makes a few thousand a month, by with holding the latest public releases. I mean its good just kind seems sad I am paying a sub and there is a lot of supporters but its missing so much content because the animators for it moved on to four where people pay them to work. I mean if we get F4SE is this something that will be will the new standard, some one will set up patreon for sextout, then each animator with any skill will do a patron only features. Resulting in me paying 25 bucks a month to get what I got for free for Skyrim lol.

I mean I all for commission worked but these days even if I had a few grand to toss out for a moder or animator, they make more for dulling out a basic patch every month and charging 5 bucks for first dibs on it then if I paid some one 2 grand to do it. And they know it now.

The real problem is not even paid mods or paid anything its patreon only edition mods. This is kind of bizarre to me its starting off ok, in my past experience most paid mod sites at least for the sims are just rip offs of unapid content they round up, and package nicely for you, with a couple of novelty items but the good mods are literally just stolen and tweaked a little free ones. It is also how "free games" work lets say for Japenese games, most their content you can find for free, and is just some one elses cracks, uncensors and english patches they did for free, but they put them in a neat package and offer faster download speeds. Most of those are dead now, minus the rapidgaor ones. And they don't charge any thing they just break them into 10 peices, trying to get you to pay for a rapidgator member ship to get it, and slip adds on the links. And these guys will do anything even stuff you can get faster for free from the devs.

In fact I monitor one such site just to see new patreon games since most their stuff that is new is the public version I can see the hijacked screen shots and some even steal a summery of it trying to get me to download their junk and i can quickly google it, and find the public version on mega the dev put up that is the same exact thing they want me to use a rapidgator account to download. But that is how that industry works now, and people do get paid not a lot but they make a little side coin off just leaching and re uploading to rapidgator or keep2share. These are bottom feeders. My big thing is I seen a few scam artists that are more fishey then any EA game you will see make it on steam. That promise all these great things, put out little bread crumbs then when they don't make 2k a month like they thought they would they shut down becuase they expected to quit their job, and just rub one easy patch out a month.

Use to be I would got offbeater, or some other site, pay once like it was early access game, and be done with it. This worked it didn't last long and game or item suppurted like that is now patreon fed, luckily I got grandfathered got patreon 10 buck a month access for spending 25 dollars a year ago, that is 120 plus bucks I saved. Now seeing this convert over to mods, I am all for donations, or even patreon to support them. But I am seeing moders who release public demos to non patreons and they will not stop working on making the mods better till they get bored or the money dries up. I mean there are two found just on here I got into they make more a month then I do and are solo operation, why they withhold a couple of features that with out them the mod is just not very good. I mean its better then nothing but the reason you want it is the patreon exclusive version perks lol.

This is starting to grind my gears though I got sub now for each mod, I mean get if you were doing conglomerate and I was paying a sub of 15 a month for 3 or more different hardworking modders content for one game. Like a little gheto website thing of old, or it was like sims resource where they charge a sub for convince in downloading, limit you to one every 10 seconds and I have to have that page open and on top for 10 seconds or it makes me redo it, and if I had add blocker on its 60 seconds per download. Granted their submitters are not getting that much for their work. But it just annoys me some times especially new ones with no real content out just a good promise, and I make the call dumb 5 a month in, hope it has somehting good in 4 months time, or follwo it and wait 6 months because I am not a patreon because most of them that are smart now do a free window till they get the good parts up. Then do a promise that non patreons are at least a month behind, once they do that they make thousands a month, for work people use to do for free with some anonymous donations.

I really afreaid this how next Elderscrolls is gonna go, I means Sims 3, its old out of date has a its framework for sex, no active animiators on it at all anymore, the person in charge makes a few thousand a month, by with holding the latest public releases. I mean its good just kind seems sad I am paying a sub and there is a lot of supporters but its missing so much content because the animators for it moved on to four where people pay them to work. I mean if we get F4SE is this something that will be will the new standard, some one will set up patreon for sextout, then each animator with any skill will do a patron only features. Resulting in me paying 25 bucks a month to get what I got for free for Skyrim lol.

I mean I all for commission worked but these days even if I had a few grand to toss out for a moder or animator, they make more for dulling out a basic patch every month and charging 5 bucks for first dibs on it then if I paid some one 2 grand to do it. And they know it now.

There are patreon-only mods/mod features? How does that work, you get a special file link?

I don't see how that's acceptable for someone to sell if it's made with Bethesda's software, Kickstarters have been ceased because of this, but I might be getting the comparison wrong.

Archived