SSE Criticism Thread Reloaded

Real story about modding Oldrim comes as follows:

I've been playing SE a while. I started missing some stuff in the good old Oldrim days, so I thought with myself "well, it wasn't that bad, was it?"

Installed Oldrim again. Proceed with downloading mods, installed SKSE first and was about to install Alternate Start as my first mod when I, yet again, thought with myself:

"I'll play the vanilla start again. For nostalgia sake, it'll be fun".

Started the game, New game. Loading Screen. Waiting. Waiting Forever. Infinite Loading Screen. 

Deep breath, one more chance.

Started the game. New game. Loading Screen. Started. Bethesda Softworks presents. The Elder Scrolls V. Skyrim.

Whatsapp Web rings. Probably my girlfriend, one alt+tab won't hurt. Alt+tab, answered. Back to the game. Alt+tab. Crash to Desktop.

Uninstalled. Back to Special Edition.

Installed Oldrim again. Proceed with downloading mods

Started the game, New game. Loading Screen. Waiting. Waiting Forever. Infinite Loading Screen. 

mod a overwrite x

mod b overwrite x too

you no longer have mod a edit to x, and it fail doing whatever it want to do

but it keep trying, trying, trying, trying

and that's all your cpu is doing until you alt f4

same situation in sse? same result

if those mods get ported to sse, those problems will get ported too

Installed Oldrim again. Proceed with downloading mods

mod a overwrite x

mod b overwrite x too

you no longer have mod a edit to x, and it fail doing whatever it want to do

but it keep trying, trying, trying, trying

and that's all your cpu is doing until you alt f4

same situation in sse? same result

if those mods get ported to sse, those problems will get ported too

I don't think thats true. I didn't had installed a single mod yet, it was just Skyrim being Skyrim. The base game can glitch in a variety of ways, not only upon heavy modding. That aside, I do think it's fairly normal that while you're installing mods to make a build, you will likely run into a few CTD of incompatibilities until you clean everything up. I may be supersticious here, but I've never, and I repeat, I've NEVER ran into CTDs or infinite loading screens while modding SE. EVEN when I expected it to crash the most, it simply didn't. Never had one single crash, EVER.

I may be supersticious here, but I've never, and I repeat, I've NEVER ran into CTDs or infinite loading screens while modding SE. EVEN when I expected it to crash the most, it simply didn't. Never had one single crash, EVER.

you don't even know why you ctd...

anyway, here's the proof 64 bit change nothing for ctd

http://www.loverslab.com/forum/73-technical-support-skyrim-special-edition/

load tesedit

conflict filter

go to cells

look for a navmesh edited by a mod

copy paste from skyrim.esm to that mod

load the game, go to that cell, and have fun crashing

I may be supersticious here, but I've never, and I repeat, I've NEVER ran into CTDs or infinite loading screens while modding SE. EVEN when I expected it to crash the most, it simply didn't. Never had one single crash, EVER.

you don't even know why you ctd...

anyway, here's the proof 64 bit change nothing for ctd

http://www.loverslab.com/forum/73-technical-support-skyrim-special-edition/

load tesedit

conflict filter

go to cells

look for a navmesh edited by a mod

copy paste from skyrim.esm to that mod

load the game, go to that cell, and have fun crashing

I never did, though. Just saying.

SSE is undoubtedly more stable out of the box. At just 60 mods currently in my game, it's still quite stable, but is NOT without it's glitches. For example, in character creation, switching gender can take as long as 45 seconds (though it's possible this may be mesh/texture related. Same result regardless of mesh/texture source). Also, using only Imaginator, I can make the game quite visually appealing, but not nearly as nice as my 32 bit version. Though the 64 bit DOF looks a lot better than it's 32 bit counterpart. 

32 bit 

post-26143-0-82031000-1505137590_thumb.jpg

64 bit

post-26143-0-41196400-1505137643_thumb.jpg

This comparison is pretty clear to me. So I suppose it's really down to personal preference. My 32 bit Skyrim has roughly 215 mods running. Yes, it crashes from time to time, but it's visual appeal and overall play-ability make a very compelling argument for not fully jumping into SSE at this point.

But why?

Well, quite simply, the functionality that SKSE adds. So to those who are developing SKSE64, as arduous as I imagine that task must be, I can only humbly request that their work continue and they don't give up. Because I truly believe that their work can make SSE just as popular as Skyrim 32 was. Only much more stable and far less periodically frustrating.

Trykz

I can wait for SKSE for SSE, but honerstly, the instability and memory drain on the system the old skyrim was making was horrendus, the stability and better use of my ryzen core just makes it worth it to change, 64 bit is hugely important these days, and for a game that so heavily modded as skyrim tends to be, my sse library just rounded 500gb, well the added stability is a huge plus, combined with the better grafics, I too have that odd delay on changing gender in racemenu, that one is wierd, but its once in every game and I have not seen anything other than that, that wasnt a result of mods.

• 2 weeks later...

Beth created SSE when they realized the money making potential by its modding community so it threw in a new idea to make money out of it by delivering a better performance and more satisfying modding platform for new SSE creations thus cashing in on what was meant to be free. 

'smart' business model.

• 1 month later...
I had some spare time to complete a vanilla play through of Skyrim way back around the time it launched. Then I spent a little time browsing nexus trying to throw some mods together. Most of them were so unstable. I probably had twenty mods stable and figured that was a lot at the time. All the mods sounded exciting. Yet I had other things to do. So I did not return to Skyrim until a few months ago...

So I figured some of my old favorite mods may be fully optimized and loaded with features. So I returned to the Nexus site and started trying to gather information on just a few mods. I figured fifty mods may be a good goal. And then I started reading, and reading, still reading. I had no idea about Lovers Lab or the other modding community sites you can find if you keep reading through everything. Even when things go into another langauge, get a language translator and keep reading. Persistance! I've spent the last few months modding this game instead of playing it. I now have two hundred forty mods stable, at what feels like a good start. And now I am trying to go through them in reverse to iron out all the kinks. hah.

Skyrim was a lot of fun to play through in just vanilla at the time. Even stopping to read the in game lore books by a fireplace was a memorable experience. I never could of imagined the amount of reading I was going to do to get to this point of a nearly full load order nice and stable. 

As for Skyrim SE, I have not played it yet. I've been watching videos and yes reading about it. I am waiting just a tad longer to see where things go before I buy it. All the work done leading up to where things are now with Skyrim and how the SE is said to have a more stable engine for expandability is collosal. I am still trying to wrap my brain around what has been done with the game.

And here I thought I was just going to mod up some weapons and monsters, maybe add some trees and shrubberies here and there and that would of been it...

• 4 weeks later...

Skyrim SE for me is amazing.

No need for ENB/ENBoost. Just a nice ReShade to supplement the already nice effects that they have added.

SKSE is now released. And SkyUI. and HDT creator has released High Heels on her Chinese Website. You guys have CBBE now, and also Physics (bounce).

All of this on a super super stable version (SE) and I couldn't be happier.

There is just no way I would ever even consider Oldrim anymore in any sense of the matter.

SSE is really stable, if everything has properly been set up. I only need the HTC Vive version next year, Skyrim looks so great in VR, can't wait for a modded Skyrim VR (Although Bethesda made clear that some mods may severely impact FPS in VR). 

• 1 month later...

There's one aspect of Skyrim SE that annoys me.

The shadows.

I don't know if you've noticed but I find the skyrim shadows on my character to be very grainy; I don't mean blocky around the edges, I mean more that if you examine the shadows on your character closely, you can see every pixel prominently. I experience this regardless of whether or not I use ReShades or ENB, so it presumably is down to the new shaders or lighting system or something, it's grating...

I may attach a screenshot for clarification in a later post if someone asks, but they are all nsfw (I'm guessing that won't be an issue though :D)

For me I have just over 50 mods installed and It works flawlessly, but I only have 50.  My oldrim game would probably work pretty good with only 50 also.  There just are not that many mods I am interested in and most I am, haven't been converted, or probably never will.  If you want a cow catapult in SSE your in luck though.  The game looks amazing, but after running around for five minutes and looking at stuff, well then that's about it.  So I guess my criticism is more directed to lack of the "good" mods from oldrim. Without them, you are just playing a game that is,  what, 7 years old now. 

I think that SKSE64 takes it's time developing is a good thing! It forces developers to think in new ways and in consequence we now have much cleaner and stable mods. It is really funny that there can be feature-rich combat mods without skse scripts and that is true for an amazing amount of "classic" mods. I have never read that many mod descriptions which state that midgame uninstalling is not an issue.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2018 at 12:38 PM, hexenhaus said:

It forces developers to think in new ways and in consequence we now have much cleaner and stable mods.

You're happy to make more work for people who are already donating their free time for everyone else's enjoyment?

23 hours ago, Asrienda said:

You're happy to make more work for people who are already donating their free time for everyone else's enjoyment?

Uh. No, they said they are happy to see that SKSE64 has forced modders to take a step back and work out different ways to make mods and make them more stable and cleaner.

I mean, if they don't want to then they don't have to. I mean I know a lot of us on this forum are into slavery and stuff, but I don't think that applies to mod creators. (Or does it :cool:)

It is nice to see people make mods and work arounds for SSE, even without the use of SKSE64. Total genius. I mean we just kept getting mods that people recreated that normally would need skse for oldrim in the first place. Somehow people made it through. So far SSE is doing pretty great for mods. We're catching up.

• 1 month later...

I would love to hop on over and join the SSE side but since 2015 I have built up a stable 200+ ESP/esm set up and even then a few of those ESP plugins are merged mods of many weapons, followers, armors, etc, on top of many SKSE and visual mods so I am looking at probably well over a 400+ mod stable 60fps game and to start over for 64bit.......I just don't think it is possible :frown:

• 3 weeks later...

I wish Bethesda would just fuck off already and leave us alone with these useless updates focused solely on the Creation Club that no one gives a shit about but console players. I miss the days when they would just be done with a game and move on. It's weird to say but that's how I feel. EXE updates breaking Script Extenders and various plugins is awful and the updates are only there to serve CC content and nothing else as far as I know. It would be different if they actually put some fucking effort into their actual games and made these game pausing/sometimes breaking updates worth the aggravation for a lot of people but they don't.

Yeah I'm a bit perturbed presently... >.>

The esc button brings you to quest journal instead of options menu, even though there is a keybinding that very specifically says otherwise (and it worked in oldrim).

Wait, there were other issues? How could they possibly compare?

(Seriously though this one triggers me so much)

Is there a way to permanently prevent steam from ruining your skyrim se installation? After the last update(god knows why they did this) I have can t get my installation to work again. I already tried a different new clean installation but when I try to load my saves it crashes. I have a backup I could pull it out but this also takes hours again and the game seems to forget that some mods were already installed. In addition to that I fear that some day steam again ninja updates my game against my will or that some new mod requires the new installation.

As you can see I am seriously pissed.

39 minutes ago, ZI0MATRIX said:

Is there a way to permanently prevent steam from ruining your skyrim se installation? After the last update(god knows why they did this) I have can t get my installation to work again. I already tried a different new clean installation but when I try to load my saves it crashes. I have a backup I could pull it out but this also takes hours again and the game seems to forget that some mods were already installed. In addition to that I fear that some day steam again ninja updates my game against my will or that some new mod requires the new installation.

As you can see I am seriously pissed.

First, you should make backups of your Skyrim and SkyrimLauncher EXEs and stash them someplace safe. Just in case you need them.

In Steam set SSE to only update when launched.

Set this file to read only, after you make a backup of it. \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\appmanifest_489830.acf.

From that point on you'll need to make sure Steam is in Offline Mode Before you start SSE. 

Longtime lurker here... Anyways I first played SE when it it was given to me for free by Steam (If you had oldrim Legendary Edition they gave it to you). It was ok, but I went back to oldrim due to the sheer amount of mods. Currently my oldrim has 347 Mods ( https://ibb.co/jC6hgn ) and it runs fairly well my rig is pretty high end so that helps too. But no matter how many mods the foundation is compromised by the old architecture. 

ENB helped me a lot... sometimes letting me go up to 5GB Video memory before CTD. Bannered Mare is particularly troublesome spot in oldrim especially if you have high quality textures and new NPCs. Riften as well but not as bad as Whiterun. Windows 10 no longer detects only 4GB of video memory in DX9 but that doesn't matter with oldrim. You will crash if you exceed 4-5GB of Video Memory.  The other major flaw in oldrim is stuttering... the frametime is just not consistent no matter the hardware you have. My rig with a 8700K and 1080Ti (overkill for oldrim) can't do it. It will stuttered no matter what. The other day I actually got a bit sick from it (literally)... so I decided to check SE out.

It took me about 2 days to set up SSE from horrendous to something that looks better than my oldrim. Most of it was configuring HDT SMP but wow what a difference. It runs smooth and I don't have to worry about video memory anymore. There's still a lot of Mods missing but this is very promising. I'm not going back to oldrim.