SSE Criticism Thread Reloaded

Pro's 64 bit engine (vs 32bit), havok 2015 (vs havok 2010), not to hard to convert nif's, animations, and textures from 32bit skyrim to 64bit skyrim.

Con's - released incorrectly.

They should have release SSE in 2015 and used the extra year to make FO4 better (since SSE was done first to test the 64bit engine).

They didn't fix things that were borked in oldrim (should not need an unofficial skyrim patch with the 64bit version cause that shit should have been fixed when they converted over to the new engine).

It was a console user cash grab (they even stated so at the expo when they first launched and stated as much back when XB1 and PS4 were being developed....).  Todd stated many years back that they wanted to bring Skyrim (and possibly Oblivion) over to the new 64bit consoles and have them better use the hardware. In other words they don't want to make the old xb360/ps3 games compatible with the console instead they want to make a new exe/dll to try to fully optimize for the new console.

The simple option would have been to take the 32bit PC (x86-32) version and convert the exe and dll's to 64bit (as both XB1 and PS4 are x86-64 based consoles) -vs- reworking the powerpc based versions made for the xb360 and ps3. Irony this is exactly what Beth did.... SSE was the test game to see if the new 64bit engine worked well enough to make a new game on (the new game by the way was Fallout 4).

I guess one other Pro is that when converting over to the 64bit engine they did not try to limit your response choices down to 4 or to give the player a voice (ie what they put to much effort into for FO4, which took time and effort away from making actual quest's and other things that could have made FO4 much better).

I do like the new engine, I hate they didn't fix the broken shit the modding community did fix (and has fixed again). I know it was a cash grab for 64bit console users.... I don't really give a shit cause I bought the legendary edition back in Summer of 2014 on steam for like $12 US and got the 64bit version for free in Oct of 2016 (so I can't complain about the price).

First off not sure what you mean by make Fallout 4 better there has to be an end to how much a company is willing to put into a game!

Secondly Skyrim SE engine and Fallout 4 engine are not the same - not even close!

Lastly, one of the things that makes modern games great is a player who actually knows how to speak!

-snip-

First off not sure what you mean by make Fallout 4 better there has to be an end to how much a company is willing to put into a game!

Secondly Skyrim SE engine and Fallout 4 engine are not the same - not even close!

Lastly, one of the things that makes modern games great is a player who actually knows how to speak!

First: larger map, more things to do then just go clean up ghouls, mutants, or raiders. Some decent side quests (where there is an actual quest) would have been nice... less money and time spent on 2 voice actors for the character and more for npc's (in said actual quests).

Hell even the dlc's were lacking.... oh want to clean up and island (that just gives you what 2 more settlements to take care of and a couple more types of monsters), and become a bandit leader (yawn).

So yeah, make the game better with more non repeatable quests that go twards making the game world better or worse, tie in better with the older games.... yada yada yada (they could have done a lot in an extra year).

Second: Beth games have been based on the Gamebro Engine since what Morrowind.

Why do you think it is so easy to convert tools over between the games.

xEdit  - made to read the esm/esp scripts and everything else... tools made from this are

tes4edit (oblivion), tes5edit (skyrim), f4edit (FO4), and SSEedit (Skyrim 64) just to name a few (cause I can't remember the name of the fo3, fnv, and other versions).

Nif Mesh format has just gone thru upgrades since way back when, things have been added and removed over time.... but at the core it is still the same nif file type.

Textures have changed over the years at to what version of the game engine was used....

Oh and yeah there are is still the spell tree in the esm/esp's of fallout 4... and enchantments (what do you thing the legendary items in fo4 are they are enchantments that are attached to a regular item)... but hay what ever floats you boat.... think of it as a completely different engine with a completely different toolset (but you would be wrong as they are based off of the same engine at there core).

Third: Actually falls back to the first.... make the game better. You don't need the Player character to talk to make a good game.

Fallout 3: so so side quests, you actually do build your character the way you want them... you don't speak and you don't have a pre-made backstory.

Fallout New Vegas: go side quests, interesting story, you actually have no clue who your character was so you can go about making that character into what ever you (as the player) want.... you don't talk.

Skyrim: shows up on a cart being hauled in with some people that you may or may not agree with... you get to choose what you want to do.... decent side quests (ass loads of side quests) very few are repetitive in the way FO4's are, the only thing that was missing was the ability to side with the dragons and destory tamriel.... again you don't speak (minus shouts).

On the other hand Fallout 4: premade backstory, stuck trying to find a kid, talk but the dialog is all...blah.... story is blah.... side quests are go help this group defend against (raider, mutant, ghoul), go save someone from (raider, mutant, or ghoul) location, or help build up settlement so they can stand a better chance again a raider, mutant, or ghoul assault.... If you don't mind the mindless and endless killing it's okay.... if you want a story well that is at most 10 to 20 hours of gameplay from start to finish..... character is preset with background and blah...

Oblivion: never played it so I don't know.

SSE was a money grab and a distraction, plain and simple. It didn't do anything new or unique to Skyrim, nothing that mods haven't already done or could do (and even better in some cases), except for changing the game to 64 bits and helping with stability. There really is no reason to get SSE other than the added stability.

-snip-

Don't wish to get into a heated discussion about this - currently Fallout 4 is more popular on Steam then both versions of Skyrim and once if ever we get a complete F4SE then it's player base will grow tremendously! Our own personal evaluations mean little to the majority of players out there, Bethesda were one of very few companies not voicing the main character and that has now changed!

Don't wish to get into a heated discussion about this - currently Fallout 4 is more popular on Steam then both versions of Skyrim and once if ever we get a complete F4SE then it's player base will grow tremendously! Our own personal evaluations mean little to the majority of players out there, Bethesda were one of very few companies not voicing the main character and that has now changed!

got curious and....

170119082519291681.jpg

170119082518779683.jpg

more players than skyrim, but much bigger fall

look like the majority of players didn't like enought the game to stay, and if they don't stay, they won't do stuff for it

there's someone doing whatever you are waiting for? if he can do it

this is sse blabla, what about sse?

170119083502548454.jpg

already lower than skyrim? don't look like the few mods ported were enought to keep the players

170119082205187981.jpg

as for who will do the stuff they are waiting for... euh...

SSE was a money grab and a distraction, plain and simple. It didn't do anything new or unique to Skyrim, nothing that mods haven't already done or could do (and even better in some cases), except for changing the game to 64 bits and helping with stability. There really is no reason to get SSE other than the added stability.

1.  " SSE was a money grab....."

See now this gets repeated a lot and it makes no sense to me. If you don't already own Skyrim you have to pay for it. Often Legendary has sold for a few quid.  If you have it on PC already, you get SSE for free.

As far as those folks who still hadn't got on the Skyrim express, well It didn't take a 3 digit IQ to see how that deal could be exploited, seeing as the publisher had screamed it from the rooftops. A glass half-full sort of person would consider this something of a sweet deal. Inveterate conspiracists on the other hand will see...

2. "....a distraction"

I must be really out of the loop because I have no idea what this might mean. If folks who have never played Skyrim are becoming distracted away from whatever else they were into, well that's good, especially if it reinvigorates the mod scene just as it's on the wane.  Sure, console players will fall away just like they always have. Fuck 'em, they're the reason Skyrim looked and behaved like a living fossil even in 2011.

3. "It didn't do anything new or unique to Skyrim.........there really is no reason to get SSE other than the added stability........."

For those of us who have bothered to put SSE through it's modded paces, the move to 64bit  is starting to look like quite the big deal. SSE also has a few quiet little tricks it does, things we used to have to mod. If you play it for any length you'll start noticing them.

There's those trivially rapid load transitions and previously notoriously tricky mods like Open Cities working as smooth as silk,  I haven't had a single CTD in 5 days of doing all the worst things one can do to a save, and running a lot of mods that I used to have to avoid like the plague.  You can brush this off if you like I suppose, but to what end? 

4. "....nothing that mods haven't already done or could do"

There's a degree of long-termism involved with modding TES games. Sure there are some nice little effects going on, like water flow, baked in Dynavision, native AO, precipitation occlusion, pretty decent god rays, and a lot less obvious pop-in.  While most of that gives console gamers a warm feeling, it should also give us reasons to be cheerful, because smart mod authors will use native features to better advantage, just as they always have. And they won't always have to use post-processing or external assets to give them to us. That's a good thing. 

See now this gets repeated a lot and it makes no sense to me. If you don't already own Skyrim you have to pay for it. Often Legendary has sold for a few quid.  If you have it on PC already, you get SSE for free.

As far as those folks who still hadn't got on the Skyrim express, well It didn't take a 3 digit IQ to see how that deal could be exploited, seeing as the publisher had screamed it from the rooftops. A glass half-full sort of person would consider this something of a sweet deal. Inveterate conspiracists on the other hand will see...

2. "....a distraction"

I must be really out of the loop because I have no idea what this might mean. If folks who have never played Skyrim are becoming distracted away from whatever else they were into, well that's good, especially if it reinvigorates the mod scene just as it's on the wane.  Sure, console players will fall away just like they always have. Fuck 'em, they're the reason Skyrim looked and behaved like a living fossil even in 2011.

3. "It didn't do anything new or unique to Skyrim.........there really is no reason to get SSE other than the added stability........."

For those of us who have bothered to put SSE through it's modded paces, the move to 64bit  is starting to look like quite the big deal. SSE also has a few quiet little tricks it does, things we used to have to mod. If you play it for any length you'll start noticing them.

There's those trivially rapid load transitions and previously notoriously tricky mods like Open Cities working as smooth as silk,  I haven't had a single CTD in 5 days of doing all the worst things one can do to a save, and running a lot of mods that I used to have to avoid like the plague.  You can brush this off if you like I suppose, but to what end? 

4. "....nothing that mods haven't already done or could do"

There's a degree of long-termism involved with modding TES games. Sure there are some nice little effects going on, like water flow, baked in Dynavision, native AO, precipitation occlusion, pretty decent god rays, and a lot less obvious pop-in.  While most of that gives console gamers a warm feeling, it should also give us reasons to be cheerful, because smart mod authors will use native features to better advantage, just as they always have. And they won't always have to use post-processing or external assets to give them to us. That's a good thing. 

As far as point 3 goes, I meant that more in the context of adding new or cut content (unless it does add in some of the cut content). It's basically the same game as before, just more stable.

With the other stuff I can see your point. I actually could download and play the game for free, as I owned Skyrim and all of the DLCs before the release of SSE, I just haven't messed with it yet because I'm waiting for SKSE to come out. I've gotten so used to playing Skyrim with mods that it would feel kind of odd to be missing some of the mods that I'm so used to.

the worst things? really?

here's an heartfire esm without the house stuff

convert it to sse and try loading your save with it

170119101739866230.jpg

deleting the byohouse stuff from the save, that break stuff that break... civil war stuff and mq something stuff, so i won't delete it

and i can't load the save with that esm without deleting that

so i have to do with heartfire crap until i create a profile to try another overhaul or something

170119101750143373.jpg

had 20 fps in that spot when i start looking for useless crap

17011910171860379.jpg

it's a little better, that would be 28 or 29 if i was using same textures as npc and an iron armor

170119101804410807.jpg

but it can go highter, coc riverwood with edited heartfire esm

170119101755843120.jpg

170119101734114749.jpg

170119101740500793.jpg

170119101754474807.jpg

having to render a useless house lost in the woods, it have an impact on fps

170119110453480188.jpg

even if you don't build it since there's a lot of persistant stuff for the house building quest

it take 2 minutes to type cw in savegamecleaner to delete some civil war stuff, if you think your save can take that

HearthFires.7z

As far as point 3 goes, I meant that more in the context of adding new or cut content (unless it does add in some of the cut content). It's basically the same game as before, just more stable.

With the other stuff I can see your point. I actually could download and play the game for free, as I owned Skyrim and all of the DLCs before the release of SSE, I just haven't messed with it yet because I'm waiting for SKSE to come out. I've gotten so used to playing Skyrim with mods that it would feel kind of odd to be missing some of the mods that I'm so used to.

Oh yeah, I totally get why folks would want to wait. The only reason I didn't feel that way myself was that I'd already abandoned Skyrim after 5 years of running that whole gauntlet. 

It's definitely valid to feel we should get more than just a move to 64bit, some minor cosmetics and some harsh audio compression. But then I remind myself that you and I got this totally for free and I'm okay with it.

But for me the stability angle is the most interesting thing about it. Which is why i'm keen for folks here to try it for themselves. So we can all properly discuss it 

The correct way to phrase that line is

SSE is a Console User's Money grab...

By that I mean Xbox One and Playstation 4 Console users.

The title was originally released in 2011 for the Xbox 360, Playstation 3, and PC.

Both the 64bit consoles (XB1 & PS4) have the ability to play some of the older XB360 and PS3 games (although it is a software imulation running on the newer console as the old consoles were based on IBM PowerPc based processors with AMD graphics in the XB360 and Nvidia in the PS3).

The cash grab actually comes from charging console users for the 64bit ported pc version on there consoles (as both XB1 and PS4 are now based on AMD x86-64 8 core cpu's with AMD graphics built in) - vs - just letting those users by a previous version or if they already owned it along with the old console to just drop the game disc into there new console and play (xbox to xbox, ps3 to ps4).

The only additional options that beth added to the console versions are:

64bit, ability to use mods created on pc and converted to esp+bsa or esm+bsa and that was about it.

Yes it is pretty much the PC's legendary edition with the HD texture pack running on a 64bit console in 64bit mode.... No it will never have SKSE support (unless someone figures out how to install a script extender onto a console...which would break the eula for the console).....

So cash grab is a valid claim....

http://www.vgchartz.com/yearly/2016/Global/

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PS4) - Sales rank 25 at 1.70 million

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (XB1) - Sales rank 50 at 1.01 million

So 2.7 Million new customers at the average price of about $60 US.... that is a large revenue for such a small update.

And about 1 million of those users rely on PC mod creators to generate new content for a game that will have no dlc's or add-on's...

But Beth made out like a bandit (and Microsoft, and Sony)... hmmm I wonder if Microsoft still charges 1/2 of the sales price for there toolset and the ability to release games on there console ( I think Sony has something similar).

The saddest part for those console users is when SKSE64 gets working and we see most of the games go back to relying on the mcm, and additional functionality that the Script extender offers.... those mods will probably never work correctly on the consoles.... oh well I don't own a console so I don't really care.

I really can't wait to see what kind of HDT physic's will be created (or ported over) once the SKSE64 is done...

Oh and you have to remember that SSE was created as a test of the new engine for the 64bit consoles before they even started Fallout 4's build. It has basically been in there software bin for probably 2 or more years. They started test building for the XB1/PS4 systems when the developers toolsets were produced... which was before the console was launched. How they tested was to take there last game (skyrim 2011) and convert it over to run on the new console (this should have been around 2014). So they updated the engine to 64bit, updated Havok to the Havok 2014 version and ran tests.... once that was flushed out they then had a 64bit version of the Gamebro engine that would run on the new consoles and started taking what ever they had originally created for Fallout 4 (design ideas, textures, meshes, etc) and moved them over to the new engine and added in the havok cloth physic's ... yada yada yada .... Fallout 4 gets released in 2015.... and they have a prototype skyrim build done setting on the shelf.... why not release it, since they can get new customers for the old title... so in 2016 we see SSE released.

One of the things that Beth members (Todd or the CIO can't remember which) back in around 2014 when the XB1, and PS4 hardware design's were displayed (I think it was ces or maybe e3) but it was stated they wanted to see both Skyrim and Oblivion updated for the new consoles. So there is a chance we may see TES464 in 2017 (which would actually call for a larger conversion then what they did with skyrim)..... Only time will tell if we see a 64bit version of Oblivion though.

Sure it's a broadly valid criticism,  which is what this thread is about. But if Bethesda are bandits so are all major media publishers who ever released a remaster of anything, invariably charged full whack and  justified it in the same way - taking advantage of new current technologies. Also, we don't know how those figures break down do we? So how many of them are brand new punters, how many are repeat purchasers? For all we know 75% them are Skyrim virgins. In which case (and assuming they're enjoying themselves), what's wrong with Bethesda turning over the same bucks as everyone else involved in AAA console publishing? Again, I'm not really convinced this is a genuinely well reasoned criticism of Bethesda specifically, more a comment on modern, growth obsessed capitalist instinct.

In any case I see it this way - it's PC TES devotees and their raging hard on for mods that have kept Skyrim relevant. We deserve a break and they gave us one. I'd call that a draw.

Yes, being a cash grab aimed at console players is a needed clarification. But a cash grab is a cash grab. They didn't actually do anything new, they just re-released an old game with a new engine. Obviously some console players will buy it to try out mods, and that's really the only reason they did it. There's no real incentive for PC players to do it if they already own Oldrim until more mods are converted--plus many who have Oldrim got the free download of SSE. Neither is there any real incentive for mod authors to convert or create all new mods for SSE beyond what's already extant. Then there's the issue of SKSE: it's not necessary to create certain mods, but the added functionalities are necessary for other mods despite the new engine. Unless Bethesda has incorporated a similar function, which I highly doubt they did.

As for SKSE and MCM-functionality, it's been confirmed that consoles will not be able to use them. MS and Sony do not allow third-party programs to run on their consoles' OS'. They're a security hole that's almost impossible to adequately guard and to even create such programs would require access to programming suites for a console's proprietary OS. End users are not going to be trusted with access. There would be attempts to reverse engineer the copyrighted code and create black market versions of the consoles and even whole games with no easy way to trace who did it. Game producers would lose money in that case so it's in their interest as well to prevent such access.

• 4 weeks later...

You can stone me. But SSE definitely better the Oldrim. Stability solves all.

Аfter installing a number of mods, Oldrim begins to crush constantly. No matter what hardware you've got. No matter your optimizations. Сompletely unpredictable and random crash. Immersion breaking to zero. To save in the living bag after each conversation - its terrible.

Its better to me to play with the flower girls only, than to play with papyrus logs ;))) 

Its better to give 500$ for new Nvidia gtx, than to waste my nerves after the next crush.

Now I have 65 mods instead of 240 with comparable graphics. Oldrim is clearer in static, while SSE is better in motion.

The only functional I've missed are Defeat, TDF and PAHE. When I receive them - it will be the game of dreams ;)

post-1082200-0-38794400-1486849603_thumb.png

Well you could expect them to fix at least mfg console because phonemes and modifiers still does not work in SE.

They did broke it in 1.8 or 1.9 patch? Refusing to fix it just shows how clunky creation engine is. They are even afraid to touch it.

You can stone me. But SSE definitely better the Oldrim. Stability solves all.

Аfter installing a number of mods, Oldrim begins to crush constantly. No matter what hardware you've got. No matter your optimizations. Сompletely unpredictable and random crash. Immersion breaking to zero. To save in the living bag after each conversation - its terrible.

Its better to me to play with the flower girls only, than to play with papyrus logs ;))) 

Its better to give 500$ for new Nvidia gtx, than to waste my nerves after the next crush.

Now I have 65 mods instead of 240 with comparable graphics. Oldrim is clearer in static, while SSE is better in motion.

The only functional I've missed are Defeat, TDF and PAHE. When I receive them - it will be the game of dreams ;)

I tested SE with Whiterun exterior mods + open cities and I must say the experience was very immersive ( and smooth ). I love open cities idea and finally I am able to play with them.  With all 2/4k mods ofc + enb ( proto-enb )

Didn't bethesda promised to do "open cities" by themselves? I remember they were saying something about it.

I'm running 119 esm's and esp's.  Over 200 mods including texture replacements in SE.  Pretty much everything is 2k and 4k textures.  No micro-stutter.  No mini-freezes at cell boundaries.  No CTD's.

I'm on a laptop.  A pretty nice gaming laptop, but it's still a laptop.

That says a lot.

Skyrim SE is insanely stable.

I think it sucks that Bethseda relies on modders to make their games into what they should have been.  However, it's pretty nice that they've given us a platform that you can do that on.

When/if SKSE64 comes (until we have it in hand there really is no guarantee) SE is going to be sweet.  As sweet as is possible for something as old as it is.

I think it sucks that Bethseda relies on modders to make their games into what they should have been.  However, it's pretty nice that they've given us a platform that you can do that on.

That seems to be Bethesda's new MO. Put out half-finished products that could have benefited from even a ten-year-old writer (*cough*FO4*cough*) or relaunch old successes with a new engine and hope it appeals to console gamers. They're relaunching SSE for Nintendo now literally in the hopes that it attracts gamers who've never been exposed to it, according to an article I read today in GamePro magazine. If it works, good for them; if it doesn't, that won't bode well down the line when potential customers pass on their future productions.

No company can ride its own coattails for long. Yes, SSE is better than Oldrim in a lot of ways. I admit that. It's that they've already released this exact same game before with nothing new in terms of content or story added. People who played Oldrim have already played Newrim, so the better stability and mod handling is the only incentive to play again. Stability isn't even a major issue if you don't use an excessive number of mods, which console players can't do by definition. New players may well be turned off by the dated (dated even in 2011) graphics and the simple fact that the game is one dungeon crawl or battle after another 98% of the time. TES has a cult following; Bethesda seems to want to make it mainstream. They won't accomplish that by re-releasing the same old content with new engines.

Not even mods can fix that.

I think my biggest criticism of SE is the same one I have for all Bethesda games and that is the fact that they develop for consoles and pay zero attention to the PC version beyond making sure it will actually run.  They can get away with that because the modders will fix the horrible console interface, low quality textures, lack of content, etc that the console players have to just live with.  Most people I know who think Bethesda games suck play the console version where I would agree that they do in fact suck.  A heavily modded PC version by contrast is a very good game.

In fact I probably wouldn't buy Bethesda games at all if it weren't for the mods.

Reading this thread gives me an impression that most people here criticizing Bethesda aren't happy with them being Bethesda. Beth's base games always sucked and they always have provided tools for people to have fun modding the game to their liking. It's not as if creating mods is a heavy work someone forces you to do. Creating mods is fun - and then you add even more fun to this by sharing your mods. That's the idea. Criticizing Beth for that is kinda pointless. Yes, almost nobody would play Skyrim these days if not for mods. You know - SexLab, skimpy armors, various overhauls (graphics, sound, combat, alchemy, crafting and so on).

IMO SSE is a win for everyone.

1) Console peasants enjoy mods and better graphics

2) PC players enjoy better performance and stability - for free. Oh yeah - and improved graphics counts for me as well. I don't feel a need for ENB anymore, just having ELFX and Vivid Weathers is enough (along with some textures and RWT). No need for DynDOLOD either.

3) Bethesda counts money and enjoys it too.

"Money grab"? It's capitalism. No one forces people to buy it.

Skyrim for a PC player is just a modding platform. Is SSE a better platform? I think, yes. Yes, we need to convert animations to the new format, but anyone can do that. We just need to wait until SKSE64 gets released - and no, Bethesda couldn't incorporate it into their code, it's PC-specific and, most importantly, SKSE licence prevents that.  Why wouldn't they include Open Cities from the beginning? Because that would break a lot of existing mods (those adding stuff to cities) and most of them probably would never be ported.

1) Console "peasants", (erm?),  continually moan around modding sites regarding the lack of particular mods not being available on the Beth site. Also moan about their game being fucked when they continually add/remove mods from an existing save session. Also they have really weird finger poise. (Just look at one carefully next time you see one).

2) No, just no. Also you still need DynDoLOD for mods which actually adds stuff you want to see from far away. (You know villages, towers, big hats etc.).

3) Beth is probably really sad with me then. Got it free, thanks to them. But will probably never buy FO4 - even when cheap, and due to the trajectory of their games I probably won't buy their next ES. However as OpenMW is a thing, I suspect that as soon as someone does a bit of graphical enhancementy type stuff to that in the way of animation, I'll probably play that to death, (again). 

2) No, just no. Also you still need DynDoLOD for mods which actually adds stuff you want to see from far away. (You know villages, towers, big hats etc.).

3) Beth is probably really sad with me then. Got it free, thanks to them. But will probably never buy FO4 - even when cheap, and due to the trajectory of their games I probably won't buy their next ES. However as OpenMW is a thing, I suspect that as soon as someone does a bit of graphical enhancementy type stuff to that in the way of animation, I'll probably play that to death, (again). 

2) No what? As of right now It does perform better and it is more stable. For those folks who just want to see less shitty distant object transitions of vanilla assets they can do that in-engine for substantially less performance cost than uGridsToLoad. For assets added by mods you can use LODGen which is the same thing as DynDoLOD but without the mission creep.

3) Yeah okay. See you at the ES6 launch ;)

1) Console "peasants", (erm?),  continually moan around modding sites regarding the lack of particular mods not being available on the Beth site. Also moan about their game being fucked when they continually add/remove mods from an existing save session. Also they have really weird finger poise. (Just look at one carefully next time you see one).

"Console peasants" is just a joke. A kind of Internet teenager meme. No offence intended for real.

Towns/villages mods should add LOD themselves. If they don't - it's the modder's fault. SSE has uLargeRefLODGridSize variable in the skyrimprefs.ini - which defines the distance at which "large" objects will be rendered - completely. While you probably don't get the same detailed LOD with SSE as you do with DynDOLOD (while looking at the landscape from a mountain, for example) - you don't get that terrible "objects popping up  out of nowhere just 200 meters in front of you" effect with SSE as you had with the 1st version. This is a huge visual improvement for me. That pop-up effect was the reason why people used to increase uGridsToLoad in the past, and the main reason to use DynDOLOD. Still I guess I'll use LODGen to render those distant objects, but that's another issue.

And with all due respect, I think you're missing the point of the discussion. It's not whenever Bethesda is "good" or "evil", neither it's about whenever you should buy their other games or not. I didn't buy FO4 yet and I'm not sure if I'll ever buy it - I probably won't, unless someone fixes terrible RP element of the game. I don't hold my breath though. I didn't buy FO3 either, after all. But that's not the point. The point is the comparison between Skyrim v1 and v2.

Still on my laptop.  Currently up to 144 plugins and poised to start doing some merging.  I've got 277 mods loaded into the left pane of MO2.  Almost 41k files in my Skyrim SE folders and 42 gigs large.

It looks better now than Oldrim ever did.

I've crashed a total of 3 times since installing my bonus copy of SE.  Twice it was because I'd flubbed an install LO.

No microstutter.  No mini-freezes when crossing cell boundaries.

I keep contemplating installing LODGen but haven't actually seen the need yet.  Maybe it's because I'm using Simply Bigger Trees in combination with the right HQ LODs, but I'm just not seeing any pop-ups.  

Really I'm to the point where my biggest gripe is - no new content.  

If/when SKSE64 comes out, don't be surprised if there isn't a 6 month Skyrim Renaissance.  That's my guess.

after 3 month of test for SE i back to old skyrim quickly ....

i have i5 4460 /12 go/970gtx , i play at 1360x768 ( hd tv) and ( 1920x1080 full hd tv)

for update

-skyeim se 1.0 with 30 mods no ctd some fps drops in some plca aka riverwood , whiterun ....

-skyrim se 1.3 with 30 mods 10% ctd no fps gain from 1.0

-skyrim 1.4 with 30 mods 60% ctd , bug , no fps gain form old update

for effect of new engine

- world is beautifull but lod and fog and sun ray and skin of npc/pc is really ugly

- no real enb just some fake effect and color

- surface textutre is pain for eyes

for texture

-scaled texture

-less details

bugs

-the old bug + news is her (v skyrim without bug us not skyrim lol)

Enb dev

- the author of enb said = the Se enb get 15 % of skyrim enb ( dx11 )  or less and after more 3 month only one very limited version of enb dll

Skse dev

-it the same as fallout4 it will be limited too

thank you for reading

• 1 month later...

for update

-skyeim se 1.0 with 30 mods no ctd some fps drops in some plca aka riverwood , whiterun ....

-skyrim se 1.3 with 30 mods 10% ctd no fps gain from 1.0

-skyrim 1.4 with 30 mods 60% ctd , bug , no fps gain form old update

You must have some mod conflicts.  I have almost 300 mods installed and after over 300 hours played have seen zero crashes outside of initial mod testing.  The most problematic mod for me was Immersive Sounds Compendium.  Sounds great and most of the time it works fine but either the mod itself causes random CTDs for some sounds or it has conflicts with some of my other mods that do so. 

In particular, for me it caused CTDs when certain weathers would occur, when certain types of weapons are drawn or sheathed, when certain types of impact sounds happened, when I got near certain types of water, etc.  Trying to nail down exactly which sounds were causing the crashes for me and removing those was just too frustrating so I gave up and uninstalled it.  (Some of the sounds that caused CTDs had no conflicts with anything but USSEP).