Converting Clothing from FO4 to Skyrim

Dmitri2033

I have worked with some fallout 4 files mostly only ones without sleeves and pants. I just exported each item in the nif in .OBJ format then started a new project selected the body I needed then picked the first .OBJ one it loads then I just selected file - load outfit and selected the next .obj and repeated till all were in the nif. Next highlight all parts and use the scale option to scale everything down at 1 time make adjustments tweak body sliders till most things fit. Select outfit parts then select all bone nodes. Next copy selected weights then transfer selected weight. Then export with reference.

You can manually do it by using 3ds Max

He has an entire series over how to get things into Skyrim.

I do recommend learning how to do it this way, as it can work with any mod that contains a mesh.

Would it be correct if I moved the mod's assets to the skyrim folder if my 3ds-nif importer thingy is set to the skyrim texture and mesh folders? And can I leave the assets in their sub-folders?

When I export the balaclava into 3ds, it doesn't have any textures, regardless of whether I import it as a FO4 or Skyrim object.

Textures can be applied to meshes using the M key. It should bring up the material view port. From there, you can import any kind of texture file and apply it to any mesh. The 3ds Max nif importer is just a plugin that should be placed within the 3ds Max file directory, so it shouldn't matter if you move the assets into the Skyrim folder. When you want to test the armor in Skyrim, you have to go into creation kit and create a new mod. Or you can rename the armor to a Skyrim armor and then inside Skyrim use a command to attain the armor and then it should be the new armor rather than the actual Skyrim armor.

Sorry if this is all confusing, but it'll get easier with time.

Also for the material view port, it's a little confusing at first, but I'd look up a video on how to do it.

Is it possible to somehow convert the bssubindextrishape to something skyrim-friendly in nifskope itself?

no..

as I said, export them as OBJ then edit them with Blender or even Max

from there, you will know what to do if you know what to do 

when Im blind with Blender, Im watching his video 

Trying FNV meshes now (There's an exact same thingy in NV that I have access to). Seems "easier". But I haven't been doing anything much, just transferring it to .obj as a NV item and to .nif as a skyrim. Other item I've tried actually popped back up in nifskope, unlike the FO4 one I've been busting my brains over. I just hope the materials/textures would be compatible and wouldn't need converting too....

Fallout 3/NV mesh files can be loaded into the skyrim outfit studio wuthout any problem. The first thing you will need to get though is Gerra6'd pose converter and  their mesh rigger. Pose converte will convert the fallout NV pose to the skyrim pose then load the nif up into outfit studio delete the body mesh out adjust the outfit and body to fit the best you can export with reference then run the file through mesh rigger which will remove the fallout NV/3 file structure and replace it with the skyrim structure at the same time you can add the required bone nodes from a body template to the outfit. Both the pose converter and mesh rigger can be found in the modders resource section of LL.

I have a tutorial on how to port stuff from other beth games found here. http://www.loverslab.com/topic/58624-how-to-port-oblivion-files-to-skyrim-using-outfit-studio/?do=findComment&comment=1482514

If there is only one nif you only have to do this to once if there are a _0 and a _1 file you will have to do this to both nif. Load the nif up into nifskope make sure the box to the left says block details and not block list if it doesn't close that box and click view - block details.

Now click the outfit part and look under the highlighted line for BSDismemberSkinInstance click the arrow to the left of the line to get the drop down then click partition 2 times to get to the slot. Double click it and change it. Usually for oddball parts I usually use either amulet or tail slot so that it doesn't affect anything unless you use a creature race or use necklaces.

Make sure to save to overwrite the nif if there are a _0 and _1 nif you will have to do this to both nifs or it will not change in game.

Next load up the CK (creation kit) and make a .esp for the outfit or piggy back someone else's 'esp. There will be 2 armor things you will have to do the normal armor part and the armor addon. If you are not sure of something look at how someone else made their armor and armor addon in the CK. Make sure all three slots match you it'll be invisible in game.

So the armor slots in the CK the armor slot in the armor addon and the slot in the nif/nifs must all match.

The other way to do it is to load up the nif into nifskope click the outfit part find the BSDismemberSkinInstance and right click the word and go to block - convert - NiSkinInstance. Doing this option removes the need for you to add a slot as it doesn't use any slots. The only place the slots will matter doing it this way is the slots you pick in the .esp as those will be the ones that will be use. So change the slots for the armor addon and armor piece to match each other and save.

Would anyone be interested in helping me sort of equalize the eyeholes out? (It's one of those 2 hole balaclava sort of things) I'm terrible at seeing these sorts of things... Can't get them somewhat equal to each other.

And can someone teach me how to convert FO4 to Skyrim via 3dsmax if possible? I tried to change the subindex thing to the bsdismember but it didn't work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Okay now I'm trying to get the many-times-said balaclava into Oblivion. I sort of did the same thing as for the conversion to skyrim, also using an FNV mesh. I seemingly got the mesh out, but when I tried to put it in the game as an item, it doesn't appear, but neither does it crash the game. It's equipable, with all the effects applied, just that nothing changes. The mesh doesn't appear.

On a side note, do the materials apply themselves automatically? Couldn't find anything to edit them in the item window.

Archived