Subsurface scatter (a stupid discussion point).

So got my 'clean' game more or less like my 32 bit 'clean' game. (i.e. loads of mods - more or less maxing out the limit without merging stuff because there isn't a proper mod organisation tool to do this at the moment, well a properly working MO - "yes I know, so don't bother. I don't care about you opinion on that statement"). It's OK, doesn't crash and my sister/her kids can play it and there arn't any "issues" - It's a clean game. No need for massive amounts of skin in that type of game. The scenery/weather/dungeons look fine, and I converted a shed load of clutter objects from 32 bit so they are also not cringe worthy examples of smudgy power-PC era. However it still looks ummm when it comes to peoples, (even with modified looks and hair/makeup stuff). In other games this wouldn't matter. However after all this time in playing Skyrim, I'm now wondering was it just the fact that you could get skin to actually look like skin which was the selling point? (not just skin but other subtle effects). Is/was the ability to have sub surface scatter, (or allow mod authors with talent to do it), the actual making of the game? (rather than being open world with general modability)

Archived