Is there any way to extract text data from .esp file w/o installing Oblivion?

megusta

Well, I would like to check out how lore-friendly and high-quality Blackmail and Darkbloodline Lovers mods are. I do not want to install and play Oblivion at this point though, and just want to read the script/text. 

However, I can't find way to extract the data from the mods' .esp file without installing the game first. Is there any way that I don't know yet?

If somebody can share the text (dialogue, strings, journals, etc) that will be much much appreciated too.

EGG translator also works. ( I hope)

It always open the Oblivion folder first, but you can choose another folder/esp which is not in your game folder.

I never tried it without Oblivion installed. Maybe you get a error message when you start it and can only close it. But I hope (think) you can choose a folder after the error message, because it opens only the selected esp not the Oblivion esm or other masterfiles of the esp.

With Egg translator you can see all in the esp: items, NPCs, Quests, dialogs and scripts.

EDIT: shit it does not work ! I renamed my game folder so EGG translator can not find the game. No error message but if you open folders the esp are not displayed, so there is nothing you can open.

I use filemanager FAR very long time, beside everyday routine work, also to peek into mods (oblivion, FNV) for different purposes: to learn what parts of game this mod touches (can't view NPCs though; but my personal concerns have names RACE and CELL); to read books, messages and dialogs (can't view conditions); and to look at script sources. Naturaly, i know about tesSnip and other tools; i use them when it's necessary. Also i have raed rumors about modmakers who do hide readable script sources to keep their secrets  -- but i never had found that by myself.

Wouldn't you be able to just make a dummy oblivion.esm make a oblivion folder and place it into the folder. You don't have to install it you just need it there for TES4EDIT to see so that it will not stop with a missing master error.

I have made dummy .esm's before just so that I could run TES4EDIT so that I could load a older mod up and remove it's old crashy master from it. Once I finished I removed the dummy.

Archived