Welcome to LoversLab
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

SkyrimTools -- Script cleaner and more

ReSaver SkyrimTools Papyrus save cleaner

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

markdf

markdf

Mega Poster

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

//www.loverslab.com/screenshots/thumb-6572bbc752d51ffe02d4d602fac78829-resaver.png

File Name: SkyrimTools -- Script cleaner and more

File Submitter: markdf

File Submitted: 25 Nov 2016

File Category: Regular Mods

Requires: Skyrim, Java
Regular Edition Compatible : Yes

NOTE: If you're having a problem with a savefile, and you want my help, you'll need to post the savefile here in the support thread so that I can run tests on it.

WHAT IT DOES

ReSaver is a new Skyrim savegame editor designed to provide more information that earlier tools, and to work with SkyrimSE savefiles as well as SkyrimLE savefiles that utilize the new format produced by Crash Fixes. It is release version and is relatively stable and reliable. Performance has gotten pretty good!

The interface is modelled after Save Game Script Cleaner; it's not quite as fast (because of Java instead of super speedy assembly language) but it is actively maintained and has a much richer feature set. Like filtering using regular expressions, and scanning your scripts and esps for context! Support for SkyrimSE has been added. For SkyrimLE, it should read and write saves that exceed the string table limit, as long as you're using Crash Fixes v10 or later.

INSTALLATION

• Unzip the archive into a folder somewhere.
  • Double-click on the file "ReSaver.exe".
INSTRUCTIONS
  • Unzip the SkyrimTools archive somewhere.
  • Double-click on ReSaver.exe.
  • Choose your savegame.
  • You should see a tree structure that has all of the save's script elements.
The #1 thing that most people need is to remove script instances that are not attached to anything.
  • Go to the "Clean" menu and select "Show Unattached Instances". This will filter the list and show only the script instances that aren't attached to anything.
  • Go to the "Clean" menu and select "Remove Unattached Instances".
  • Save to a new file.
  • Load your savegame in Skyrim and make sure it's working properly.

ReSaver is quite stable and I use it myself has dropped back to hyper-alpha status, now that SkyrimSE support is in there. A lot of very deep code changes, so SkyrimLE support is back to alpha also.

I have hundreds of mods, including dozens of major quest mods. I NEED a serious save editor. That's why I wrote one. I can't promise that it's perfect. It's possible that it will ruin your savegame, hard drive, childhood, and kidneys all major organ systems. In other words, there is no guarantee of fitness for any particular purpose, etc. But it's pretty good raw.

REQUIREMENTS

• Java is a requirement -- ReSaver is written entirely in Java.
  • Mod Organizer is strongly recommended for managing your mods and savegame directories. I'll try to add some explicit support for Nexus Mod Manager at some point -- especially now that it may become the primary mod manager for the Skyrim universe.
WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP
  • Test the tools! Report any problems! Report any annoyances!
  • Try cleaning a few savegames with ReSaver, see it the new tool works at all.
  • Play with the tool, try to get it to crash in exciting ways. Let me know how you crashed it.
  • Find problems or annoyances with the user interface.
DONATIONS
  • If you would like to donate, Steam gift cards are good, or donations through Nexus.
  • Really, I'll accept anything. :-)
  • Seriously, I'll take a high-five, or a photo your cats. An envelope full of your pubes? Sure!
  • But it's not necessary. I wrote these tools because I love Skyrim.

Posted Image
Click here to download this file

Uncle64

Uncle64

Mega Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Thanks for this.

One question.

In PdtWrapper you can stop scripts. Is it possible to have one thing like that?

markdf

markdf

Mega Poster

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Thanks for this.

One question.

In PdtWrapper you can stop scripts. Is it possible to have one thing like that?

Yes. Right click on any active script, and click "Terminate". Or right click on the entire Active Scripts folder and terminate them all.

Uncle64

Uncle64

Mega Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Oh thank you have not noticed that.

mangalo

mangalo

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

It's been a while since I used ReSaver (my games was mostly stable), but a crash occured (Skyrim LE) and I decided to try it once again smile.png

Unfortunately, I got an ArrayOutOfBoundsException while reading my save, I'll attach the log and the save so you can troubleshoot.  (You might remember my horribly bloated french saves)

Attached Files

markdf

markdf

Mega Poster

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

It's been a while since I used ReSaver (my games was mostly stable), but a crash occured (Skyrim LE) and I decided to try it once again smile.png

Unfortunately, I got an ArrayOutOfBoundsException while reading my save, I'll attach the log and the save so you can troubleshoot.  (You might remember my horribly bloated french saves)

What version are you using? I was able to load your save perfectly with the latest version -- 1.9.6beta.

For the record, it shows 2 unattached instances and 9 undefined scripts (some of which are from Frostfall, which seems to somehow produce undefined scripts even in brand new games).

mangalo

mangalo

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
I think it was the "ReSaver SE 2016-11-25-2.7z", I might have to double-check that tomorrow when I have access to my Skyrim machine smile.png

Should I remove those undefined scripts from Frostfall ? Maybe they're usefull somehow

Vortec

Vortec

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

What about non-existent form instances?. What are they and they be safely removed? Have about 1200 of them.

markdf

markdf

Mega Poster

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

What about non-existent form instances?. What are they and they be safely removed? Have about 1200 of them.

I can't say for sure about them. Some users swear by it, but I find when I clean non-existent form intances, I end up with mods not working and all kinds of things going wrong. I'm pretty sure that non-existent form instances are used deliberately by some mods.

I think it was the "ReSaver SE 2016-11-25-2.7z", I might have to double-check that tomorrow when I have access to my Skyrim machine smile.png

Should I remove those undefined scripts from Frostfall ? Maybe they're usefull somehow

Try upgrading to the latest version from November 30th.

My general advice with script cleaning is to only do it if you are experiencing problems. More generally, undefined scripts aren't known to cause problems. So as long as frostfall is working, leave them alone.

mangalo

mangalo

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
I'm unsure whether I'm blind and can't see the latest file or if it's missing from the download section. The latest seems to be "2016-12-03"

markdf

markdf

Mega Poster

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

I'm unsure whether I'm blind and can't see the latest file or if it's missing from the download section. The latest seems to be "2016-12-03"

Sorry, sometimes the uploads don't actually appear in the file list. Should be there now.

Hideousghost

Hideousghost

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Hello markdf , I would like to thank you for the great save tool and your hard work! That being said I would like to ask you if you could check a save for me? Resaver was working great up until you went for SE compatibility, the save resaves just fine but ctd's when loading pretty quick. I have java updated and save profiles in MO. any advice is greatly appreciated,Here are both versions of the save.Attached File  Saves.7z   12.45MB   2 downloads

markdf

markdf

Mega Poster

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Hello markdf , I would like to thank you for the great save tool and your hard work! That being said I would like to ask you if you could check a save for me? Resaver was working great up until you went for SE compatibility, the save resaves just fine but ctd's when loading pretty quick. I have java updated and save profiles in MO. any advice is greatly appreciated,Here are both versions of the save.attachicon.gifSaves.7z

That might be a coincidence, I didn't make any changes to how Skyrim Legendary saves are read and written -- in fact, if you don't make any changes or clean anything, the file that is written out should be identical to the file that was read in.

So Islon Gerr2 is the one that you cleaned? I think you need to use "Clean Undefined Elements", it appears that you have script instances left over from uninstalling mods.

My only other advice is that your load order is really ... intense. And you're way over the string table limit, which seems to affect performance and stability even with Crash Fixes. You may need to scale it back a bit. And I'm being hypocritical, because I do the same thing (which is why I made ReSaver -- I NEEDED it), but you asked for advice so there you go. :-)

Hideousghost

Hideousghost

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Hey markdf, thank you for the speedy reply! I know my load order is intense no fun not pushing the limits in my opinion. Anyways this profile is strictly for testing new mods and compatibility with tried and true stuff and to that end resaver has been a dream tool for me, thanks again for that. you are correct on the cleaned save as well I have tried to clean the undefined Elements as well with the same results. maybe I should admit defeat and scale back my load order lol. is it possible that a mod could be the culprit it seems this mod gets booted from my load order with loot as well as bash. also the mod author mentioned they didn't use said tools themselves . the mod being (Eden's Mystery)-- the player home, a great home by the way. Wishing you the win in everything you do!    

markdf

markdf

Mega Poster

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Hey markdf, thank you for the speedy reply! I know my load order is intense no fun not pushing the limits in my opinion. Anyways this profile is strictly for testing new mods and compatibility with tried and true stuff and to that end resaver has been a dream tool for me, thanks again for that. you are correct on the cleaned save as well I have tried to clean the undefined Elements as well with the same results. maybe I should admit defeat and scale back my load order lol. is it possible that a mod could be the culprit it seems this mod gets booted from my load order with loot as well as bash. also the mod author mentioned they didn't use said tools themselves . the mod being (Eden's Mystery)-- the player home, a great home by the way. Wishing you the win in everything you do!    

Have you tried enabling the datasync and priority options in ENBoost? If they fix the problem (while most likely crippling your performance), then the issue is that you're just severely overloading Skyrim.

4nik8tor

4nik8tor

Throbbing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Regarding non-existent form instances, is there any rhyme or reason to deciphering what should remain or not?

markdf

markdf

Mega Poster

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Regarding non-existent form instances, is there any rhyme or reason to deciphering what should remain or not?

I have two "insights" on this:

1) Don't delete them. They're usually harmless.

2) If you HAVE to delete them, delete the instances of ObjectReference, ActorBase, Actor, Form, and so on. Stick with instances of the Skyrim core scripts.

I'm really no expert on non-existent form instances. I don't delete them, and when I've tried it turned out to be bad.

4nik8tor

4nik8tor

Throbbing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

I have two "insights" on this:

1) Don't delete them. They're usually harmless.

2) If you HAVE to delete them, delete the instances of ObjectReference, ActorBase, Actor, Form, and so on. Stick with instances of the Skyrim core scripts.

I'm really no expert on non-existent form instances. I don't delete them, and when I've tried it turned out to be bad.

Thanks for the info.

​What's the timeline on the "Reset Havok" feature?  Before I broke the 64k string barrier (and now new games start well past that for me), I found this to be a useful feature of Savetool and savegame stability.  At least it seemed to resolve some save loading issues for me in the past.  Perhaps it was simply coincidence ;)

On an unrelated note (in case you haven't see it yet), the 307beta branch of WryeBash just rocked my load order regarding bashable merging of mods.  Many more data types are now eligible for merging into the bashed patch.  More opportunities to break my game by adding mods ;)

markdf

markdf

Mega Poster

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Thanks for the info.

​What's the timeline on the "Reset Havok" feature?  Before I broke the 64k string barrier (and now new games start well past that for me), I found this to be a useful feature of Savetool and savegame stability.  At least it seemed to resolve some save loading issues for me in the past.  Perhaps it was simply coincidence ;)

On an unrelated note (in case you haven't see it yet), the 307beta branch of WryeBash just rocked my load order regarding bashable merging of mods.  Many more data types are now eligible for merging into the bashed patch.  More opportunities to break my game by adding mods ;)

I'm not in a big hurry. Treating changeforms properly is quite a big job, and I need it for another feature (editing player and NPC spell lists, inventories, active effects, and so on). When it's done, adding support for cleaing havok data will be basically a free bonus feature.

I've been using the new Wrye Bash for a while, it's an impressive step forward. Conversely though, I've been trying to trim my own load order in the name of stability -- focusing on mods that Wrye Bash can bash, instead of merging stuff using the Merge tool.

PegasusKoga

PegasusKoga

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Sorry  for the dumb question, but i need to know.

I was using "Keeping Warm" http://www.nexusmods...ion/mods/6492/? untill a day ago.  But i had to replace the version that distributes the scarves via levelled lists with the crafting-only version because it was preventing "Cloaks of Skyrim" from giving the cloaks to NPC's (despite the fact that i used Wrye Bash).

I don't understand much about levelled lists and the consequences of removing such a mod mid-game, so i would like to know if i need to use your utility to prevent any future fits of primal rage (can't revert to backup saves because "Keeping Warm" was one of the first mods i installed).

No need to explain the finer details, i would only be scratching my head in confusion, a simple yes or no will suffice. :)

Thanks in advance.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ReSaver, SkyrimTools, Papyrus, save cleaner