[WIP] Traps, Pitfalls and Dangerous Things

Hi Jim

With version 0.65 alpha

I find myself having traps inside dragonreach and my house breezerhome, also in stores

i thought these locations were a safe havenl

thanks

PS : i also had a problem with a critter egg nest blocking the iron door in a dungeons but with  "disable" i passed throught easily

using the new alpha also

ran into the same problem you did (traps in houses and shops)

used as-lal to own each house right off and all got trapped (the 5 vanilla houses, the 3 HF houses, and 3 mod added houses), riverwood trader, belethor's,

arcadia's cauldron, and inside drunken huntsman also.

for the ps you can either disable the particular trap thingy in the way or use the TCL (toggle collision) command to get past them (my spider egg nest was in Helgen).

I find myself having traps inside dragonreach and my house breezerhome

Try disabling "Forts" in the mcm menu.

I've currently got an older version installed, so it may have been fixed, but just in case: I was setting up a new game (going through all of the MCM menus) using Live Another Life, and was killed by a horde of skeevers partway through. Tried it again, and saw a tiny little woman sprinting against the door, unable to get through.

0.45 patch note:

"- The trap layer system now needs to be sctivated from the MCM before they will start laying traps. This should solve any issues with traps being laid at the start when using Live Another Life. You can also use this option to stop the trap laying system at any time."

Does the issue appear with a 0.45+ version of the mod?

I find myself having traps inside dragonreach and my house breezerhome

Try disabling "Forts" in the mcm menu.

Thank you Wyrade your tip seems to have stopped the little lady from putting traps in the shops and home.

haha Its funny to see the little lady appears sometimes and telling me she is gonna kill me or something like that with her little pouch, i have never seen her before.

for the ps you can either disable the particular trap thingy in the way or use the TCL (toggle collision) command to get past them (my spider egg nest was in Helgen).

I disabled it then enable it after but yeah i always forget about tcl, you are right, thank you

Yeah i think so... for me It's better this way for the moment, Arcadia shop was fully loaded with Skeevers, Riekling and spiders lol

But i think if the building is already trapped they are going to stay but there wont be more when you deactivate

I took an earlier save to have less traps

Hi Jim

With version 0.65 alpha

I find myself having traps inside dragonreach and my house breezerhome, also in stores

i thought these locations were a safe havenl

thanks

PS : i also had a problem with a critter egg nest blocking the iron door in a dungeons but with  "disable" i passed throught easily

It seems to be the Forts location keyword covers a whole range of areas. Whiterun is probably tagged as a fort and seeing as breezehome is inside whiterun I'm guessing it gets the same location tag as well. Good news is I should be able to sort this by adding some extra criteria to the location check.

For the moment though you'll need to turn Forts off. You will still get traps in other locations that are tagged as clearable which covers 99% of all dungeons etc.

I've currently got an older version installed, so it may have been fixed, but just in case: I was setting up a new game (going through all of the MCM menus) using Live Another Life, and was killed by a horde of skeevers partway through. Tried it again, and saw a tiny little woman sprinting against the door, unable to get through.

All kinds of weird stuff will happen with older versions. I think everything you have mentioned there has been fixed.

ran into the same problem you did (traps in houses and shops)using the new alpha also

used as-lal to own each house right off and all got trapped (the 5 vanilla houses, the 3 HF houses, and 3 mod added houses), riverwood trader, belethor's,

arcadia's cauldron, and inside drunken huntsman also.

This was one thing that I was worried about, that some traps might block door ways. I think I can turn collisions off on them through creation kit which should fix the problem.

yeah i'm seeing traps in all kinds of town areas killing all kinds of friendly npcs.  If i disable 'forts' won't that disable all enemy buildings as well?

As long as you leave the "clearable areas" as trappable then that will cover 99% of all dungeons etc.

Yeah i think so... for me It's better this way for the moment, Arcadia shop was fully loaded with Skeevers, Riekling and spiders lol

But i think if the building is already trapped they are going to stay but there wont be more when you deactivate

I took an earlier save to have less traps

Oh dear :)

Trying the newest version:

With "Traps in Forts" turned off ---  

Got plenty of traps and bandits inside the main College of Winterhold building.  Pretty much every room there, but none in the Midden.

Is the trap layer following me around whenever I'm inside?  I hear her saying "Can I help you?" and "This should be good." fairly often.

Hey, I'm using 6.1 and the mod isn't functional for me I think. The debug option to spawn a random event procs one; but I don't get any random events otherwise ever, and the trap layer states "not in a trappable location" even in bleak falls barrow, so I can't get it to activate at all. Any ideas?

Got plenty of traps and bandits inside the main College of Winterhold building.  Pretty much every room there, but none in the Midden.

Is the trap layer following me around whenever I'm inside?  I hear her saying "Can I help you?" and "This should be good." fairly often.

Hmm....that shouldn't be happening!

Hey, I'm using 6.1 and the mod isn't functional for me I think. The debug option to spawn a random event procs one; but I don't get any random events otherwise ever, and the trap layer states "not in a trappable location" even in bleak falls barrow, so I can't get it to activate at all. Any ideas?

Ah, yes...I found an issue with the latest version that you will need to cycle the Fort and IsClearable check boxes in the MCM for the mod to work. Seems I might have set the global values to the wrong default value so they don't correspond to the MCM check boxes. Unticking them and then reticking them should sort the problem.

Also the random event debug option probably won't work at the moment as I changed the way random events work.

Hopefully should have a new fixed version up tomorrow sometime.

ok, that does fix it, the mod now w0rks... but is it supposed to be leaving obviously trapped loot boxes everywhere? like for example, a strongbox that's floating in the air.

There is still some work to be done with the trap placement and yes some traps are more obvious than others and not all the lootable items placed by this mod are trapped :)

Yeah it happens to me too :(

At the Bard school also...

Before my sexlab arousal widget didnt detect the trap layer but now it seem she follows me everywhere

i have a arousal number with no name.

I have to turn the mod off when i am inside big building or else traps are put everywhere

If I could make a request i'd like the ability to turn off lootable object traps at some point. I trust you're still looking into adding more steppable traps (like bear traps/pressure plates.. maybe rune traps like Devious Traps had...?) but I really don't want the random loot boxes littered around the ground and I don't have a lot of faith in the trap layer to place chests in a way that will trick me into thinking they're legit.

Yeah it happens to me too :(

At the Bard school also...

Before my sexlab arousal widget didnt detect the trap layer but now it seem she follows me everywhere

i have a arousal number with no name.

I have to turn the mod off when i am inside big building or else traps are put everywhere

It is almost certainly the result of making forts trappable it seems a lot of places have that keyword or inherit it because they are inside a fort/city...unfortunately I think that bit might have to be removed in the next update, at least until I can fix it.

If I could make a request i'd like the ability to turn off lootable object traps at some point. I trust you're still looking into adding more steppable traps (like bear traps/pressure plates.. maybe rune traps like Devious Traps had...?) but I really don't want the random loot boxes littered around the ground and I don't have a lot of faith in the trap layer to place chests in a way that will trick me into thinking they're legit.

Actually runes should already be in, but I'm not sure if they are showing up correctly.

I am working on making the lootable items less obvious by offsetting their placement to the side and/or applying a havoc force and letting the physics engine do the rest :) Also strong boxes will be removed as they are really obvious unless I can reliably place them on a table which is extremely unlikely :(

I am also working on trapping locks so that if you fail when trying to pick the lock then you may also set off a trap...still work in progress at the moment though.

maybe rune traps like Devious Traps had...?)

I'm still using 0.57, so not sure if the mechanics have been reworked since then, but if you have devious traps then you can (relatively) easily add them to Traps and Pitfalls.

In tes5edit you need to add the four AQDT_RuneTrap entries from DevousTraps\Projectile to TrapsAndPitfalls\FormID List\_TAPTrapList and they should show up randomly just like all other traps.

I am also working on trapping locks so that if you fail when trying to pick the lock then you may also set off a trap...still work in progress at the moment though.

FMEA has a lockpicking trap system already, you might want to check it out both to see an example of how it can be done, and to make sure yours will be compatible with that. You might even hijack that as an option so you just add events to that system.

Thank you Jim

Oh and by the way what happened to the temporary devious trap like the blinding for x amount of time are they still there ?

I took them out temporarily when I rebuilt the trap generator code. I will add them back in :)

I'm still using 0.57, so not sure if the mechanics have been reworked since then, but if you have devious traps then you can (relatively) easily add them to Traps and Pitfalls.

In tes5edit you need to add the four AQDT_RuneTrap entries from DevousTraps\Projectile to TrapsAndPitfalls\FormID List\_TAPTrapList and they should show up randomly just like all other traps.

FMEA has a lockpicking trap system already, you might want to check it out both to see an example of how it can be done, and to make sure yours will be compatible with that. You might even hijack that as an option so you just add events to that system.

Ohhh....didn't know FMEA did that. That's one to go on my mod list :) Trapping locks is something I shall avoid for now then. No real reason to duplicate someone else's work.

Hey, when trying to do that it tells me it 'references a master that can't be accessed by traps and pitfalls'. Any idea how to fix that? Do you also know which rune traps correspond with bandit traps (I don't like those ones as much)

I forgot a super basic rule. I got it fixed. I look forward to the next update, you're all doing good work.

Hey, when trying to do that it tells me it 'references a master that can't be accessed by traps and pitfalls'. Any idea how to fix that? Do you also know which rune traps correspond with bandit traps (I don't like those ones as much)

I forgot a super basic rule. I got it fixed. I look forward to the next update, you're all doing good work.

Well, first advice would be to do things like that only if you know what you are doing or don't mind experimenting.

Second is that yes, it needs devioustraps added as a master to work, it shouldn't cause any issue though. The four AQDT_RuneTrap entries are only the devious device equipping traps, no bandit or anything else. The bandit traps are obviously named as AQDT_BanditTrap, of which I see three entries, though I haven't tested them like this, as I only wanted to add the dd runetraps to my trapsandpitfalls randomization. They should work too though, if someone wants them.

You got me curious, is that super basic rule to not listen to random advices telling you to edit esp-s by hand, or something along those lines? :D

Ohhh....didn't know FMEA did that. That's one to go on my mod list :) Trapping locks is something I shall avoid for now then. No real reason to duplicate someone else's work.

If you have good ideas/scenarios to add, you still could at least post them in the fmea forum, so that it can be improved. :)

I always like expanding ideas and mods, DCL grew up to be very big too from something relatively little, and I enjoy it very much.

I've been staying at the Silverblood Inn in Markarth for a while... somebody keeps dropping bags, urns and spider egg sacks in front of all the doors. It's like they're intentionally trying to trip the poor patrons! :lol:

Just a suggestion for a bit more realism; have the skeever hordes spawn and cluster around fresh corpses, when

possible. So, you kill some bandits on the way in, and on the way out you might encounter skeevers or other creatures

preparing to feast on their remains.

You got me curious, is that super basic rule to not listen to random advices telling you to edit esp-s by hand, or something along those lines?

No but if you don't know how to edit ESP's that is definitely a second rule. The first rule was that something you reference needs to be a master. I forgot that rule since I've only edited files inside the same mod before.

You got me curious, is that super basic rule to not listen to random advices telling you to edit esp-s by hand, or something along those lines?

I've been staying at the Silverblood Inn in Markarth for a while... somebody keeps dropping bags, urns and spider egg sacks in front of all the doors. It's like they're intentionally trying to trip the poor patrons! :lol:

Hmmm....I may have to rethink some of these lootable traps. I tried to make the egg sac smaller but its collision mesh seems to remain unchanged. It does explode and disappear when you trigger the trap. May have to think about adding some kind of left/right off set so that if they do spawn in doorways or narrow passage ways then they'll be moved out of the way enough so you can get by.

Just a suggestion for a bit more realism; have the skeever hordes spawn and cluster around fresh corpses, when

possible. So, you kill some bandits on the way in, and on the way out you might encounter skeevers or other creatures

preparing to feast on their remains.

That's a great idea, I'll see if I can implement that. :)

My first lesson at the College of Winterhold was interrupted when the entire class was attacked by a horde of skeevers. It was unexpected, to say the least. ;)

Oh, and I find that the trap-layer is talkative, too. I frequently hear: "Ooh, a fight! This should be good!" I'm always turning around to see who said it.

Is there a way to set her to a race that doesn't have voice files or footstep sound effects? I could have sworn you could do that sort of thing back in Oblivion.