Skyrim SE won't launch. Only Launcher shows up + pressing Play makes it appear again...

I've tried disabling all the mods in NMM, I've verified cache, it just won't work.  It says installing for the first time vr stuff, shows me the launcher, and then when I press "play" it just pops away for a moment and then I'm back to the damn launcher.  I'm so frustrated right now, I don't know what to do, and I don't have a means to get a crash report to find out what's wrong. 

Not sure if this will help, but have you tried opening "Task Manager", and seeing if there is already a Skyrim process or app already running?

For a bit it showed as running in the background at about 25%, but not in the foreground, and utterly unclickable to open. :/  

Now it's nothing, and updating NMM didn't work.  I hate it anyways, I prefer MO, but I don't think that's the problem, or maybe it is, at this point I have no clue.  :(

For the past 2 weeks since the first set of updates I too have been experiencing CTD's and the damn SkyrimSE process running in the back ground

hidden from the taskbar. This requires using Task Manager to close the game process and try again. That got old fast so I made this app to help ease our P.I.T.A. issues with closing via Task Manager.

Please Endorse if you find it helpful or useful.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/4519/?

For the past week

Go to your Skyrim Special Edition folder and open '_CommonRedist' then 'vcredist' then '2015' subfolder.

Double-click 'vc_redist.x64.exe' and when the installation window opens select Uninstall.  This will uninstall MS Visual C++ 2015 Redist Package.

Now download the latest 64-bit Visual C++ 2015 Redist Package (which is Update 3) and install this one.  Remember to reboot your pc after installation.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53587

I had problems with the VC package that installed when Steam installed SkyrimSE and could not launch the game, but it was running in the background.  Installed the latest package and the game launched without problems.

I've tried disabling all the mods in NMM, I've verified cache, it just won't work.  It says installing for the first time vr stuff, shows me the launcher, and then when I press "play" it just pops away for a moment and then I'm back to the damn launcher.  I'm so frustrated right now, I don't know what to do, and I don't have a means to get a crash report to find out what's wrong. 

Did you fully disable the mods or just uncheck them in the load order? Whenever SSE has refused to start like that for me it's always been due to an oldrim resource file that wasn't compatible. If you just uncheck the esp, skyrim will still load any replacer resource files that's been installed and if it's a bad file it will still crash the game.

Sometimes NMM can leave old files in the Data directory as well because of interrupted installations etc. so i always check that there are no files in the Data directory that shouldn't be there.

Go to your Skyrim Special Edition folder and open '_CommonRedist' then 'vcredist' then '2015' subfolder.

Double-click 'vc_redist.x64.exe' and when the installation window opens select Uninstall.  This will uninstall MS Visual C++ 2015 Redist Package.

Now download the latest 64-bit Visual C++ 2015 Redist Package (which is Update 3) and install this one.  Remember to reboot your pc after installation.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53587

I had problems with the VC package that installed when Steam installed SkyrimSE and could not launch the game, but it was running in the background.  Installed the latest package and the game launched without problems.

Thank you, I tried, but still the same error.  I'm getting awfully frustrated, this game is literally unplayable as it is.  :/

I launch it and the launcher box pops up a bit bigger than shrinks a little.  I click "Play" and it just disappears and reappears not a moment later.  Such a pain in the ass.

Archived