Tighter cocoon(need help!)

Just wanted to bounce an idea around(I hope this is the place to do it, otherwise I will be more than happy to delete this post, and repost it in the correct place).  I currently have the arachnophobia mod installed, and absolutely love it.  One thing I would like to see however, is a tighter cocoon model(from the default zaz pack).  Ideally, some sort of bodyslide enabled mesh.  I tried messing around in blender, but so far my attempts are pretty pathetic.  Is something like this even doable?

If you want to get good results in blender, I know a few tools you will find useful.

If you can import the body that you want it to be shaped like into blender, that will be very useful. You can use:

• The "shrinkwrap" modifier. This basically projects one object's mesh onto another. It can create bad stretches and artefacts, however there is also:
  • Weight painting. You can attach a new vertex weight group to the shrinkwrap modifier, and just paint onto the mesh with your mouse or a tablet. That way you can get fine control over how much it distorts and where.
  • The "snap to face" tool can be used for very precise work, where you're handling vertices directly
  • Mesh deform/Lattice deform lets you distort the shape of complex meshes very easily and with good results

If you want some explicit instruction, feel free to PM me.

I'm pretty sure you'd be able to convert the cocoon mesh from zaz to bodyslide via outfit studio. It is a piece of armour already so, in my head, that should be the easiest route rather than editing stuff in blender.

Never done anything like that before though.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not having any luck at all with Blender, nifskope, or outfit studio.  I can't even load the file in blender.  I can change the scale in nifskope, but I cant seem to edit any of the node's locations.  In outfit studio, nothing seems to make an impact.  All the tutorials I have found seem to be entirely irrelevant for what I am trying to achieve.  To further clarify, I have no idea what I am doing with any of these programs lol.  Where does one even start?

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the freshly killed thread necro, but I am still working on this from time to time.

I downloaded the official nif extension for blender, but I still cant seem to change the shape of anything. When i try to move a node, the textures and model awkwardly stretch in a line instead of deforming correctly. How do I go about actually deforming the model?

Thats actually a pretty awesome idea

> 20% chance on spider spit effect to coccon
> Blackout
> X- time passes
> Random event or wake up on location
> Complete cocooned, Upper half only, lower half only, everything but head

Add in that hobble and holy fuck thats basically perfect.
+ % chance to trip.
+ % chance to impreg

Better find a knife fast

• 1 month later...

Okay, so you're saying that you still having trouble getting the mesh into blender so you can edit it?

Just to be sure, the process is

1. extract the relevant model from the .bsa meshes file
  2. open that model in nifskope
  3. export as a .obj file
  4. import .obj into blender

Where, in that process, is your issue?
Also; is the mesh you're looking to alter animated? That may require you to use a different process since .obj files don't retain bone weights.

I have done all that, the issue is that I cant seem to get the model to change shape the way I want to. The only things I can do are change the size, location, and facing of the components. When I try to change the shape of the object, I end up awkwardly moving individual nodes around, which never seems to have a positive impact as I cant figure out how to put them where I want them. Im trying to just generally alter the shape, not do it node by node blindly.

Thanks to everyone who has responded.

Having fooled around with Blender some more, I have finally figured out how to roughly deform areas with the sculpt tool, but I cant yet get good results. When using shrink, the surfaces buckle awkwardly and don't retain any of their original shape(I think due to the way the vertices are spaced). I have also messed around with importing my body shape into blender at the same time as the cocoon mesh, but the cocoon in game forces the victims hands behind her back, and the body mesh is set to have the arms stick straight out to the sides. Is there a way to move the arms to be a better reference? Better yet, is it an easier process to take an existing 3d model(non skyrim), and set it up to be the new armor?

Hi.

I wouldn't recommend using the sculpt tools on a lowpoly game mesh. You want to use edit mode (TAB), and, yes, move the vertices individually. If this is frustrating or tedious, I recommend putting the project to one side for the moment and doing a couple of tutorials to get comfortable with blender.

When I set out to learn Blender, I found that nothing gave more more progress more quickly than finding a good tutorial video, and following along with it exactly. There's a certain type of tutorial with titles like "How to model a lightbulb" or "How to model a dragon". Open up one of these, and just do exactly what they do as you follow along. When they move a vertex, you move a vertex. When it's something complex, pause the video and try it. Replay parts of the video if necessary.

It might just be me but this was a FAR more effective way to learn than anything else. I was actually amazed at how quickly I picked it up.

Here's a good one to start with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbsYDOiph7U

As for posing the body to fit the cocoon, you will want an armature and a body that's been skinned. I don't have any experience in this but you may want to look at the threads around creating poses or animations (e.g. for sexlab). They will be using a functional blender rig for the skyrim body.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help Dixie. Unfortunately, I just cant get the hang of Blender. I downloaded 3ds max, and have had much better luck. I have made great progress in editing meshes (at least for me), but noe I struggle with 3ds max not loading textures. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix that? I made sure to carefully install the nif plugin, and triple checked my file structure, but no dice.

• 1 month later...

Progress!!! I have the mesh shaped as I wanted, but I have run into some more roadblocks. The mesh moves appropriately during struggling animations(even with her boobs!), and I have resolved all body clipping issues. These are my current problem areas.

1. Textures: Using the viewport canvas tool in 3dsmax, when I try to paint on one area, it applies paint to an unrelated area as well. How do I prevent this? The 1st image is a reference.

2. Clipping: I need to remove/hide the feet, hands, and hair from the character model, as they clipping through (especially the hair). How does one do this?

Progress is progress, and the 2nd and 3rd images are what I have for the full cocoon so far. Any assistance would be appreciated.

post-402460-0-16609200-1497642991_thumb.png

post-402460-0-13846500-1497643015_thumb.png

post-402460-0-63341900-1497643031_thumb.png

Hey, nice work!

Do you know about UV mapping? It's where you project your mesh onto a 2D surface so that textures can mapped onto it. If you're painting textures onto the mesh and it shows up in more than one place, that might be because the UV map overlaps itself, and so maps the same texels onto two different places.

• 4 weeks later...

Progress! All 3 stages have been fitted to my curvy character all snug, skin tight, and sexy like, with no clipping issues during struggle animations! I have finally applied a basic texture, and am now looking to learning weight sliders to see if I can release this to the masses.

attachicon.gifscreenshot32_by_ghrolath4-dbfzsoy.jpg

attachicon.gifscreenshot33_by_ghrolath4-dbfzsom.jpg

attachicon.gifscreenshot34_by_ghrolath4-dbfzsoc.jpg

attachicon.gifscreenshot38_by_ghrolath4-dbfzsmn.jpg

attachicon.gifscreenshot37_by_ghrolath4-dbfzsn2.jpg

attachicon.gifscreenshot39_by_ghrolath4-dbfzsmf.jpg

Looks good. Is there an issue with the first two pictures? When do you think you'd be able to release it?

Progress! All 3 stages have been fitted to my curvy character all snug, skin tight, and sexy like, with no clipping issues during struggle animations! I have finally applied a basic texture, and am now looking to learning weight sliders to see if I can release this to the masses.

Looks good. Is there an issue with the first two pictures? When do you think you'd be able to release it?
Glad you think so! Since I have moved past most of the issues in getting this done, I a made a new post with more updates here: http://www.loverslab.com/topic/81437-wip-alternative-cocoon-mesh/?p=1955769

As for the first 2 pictures, they are just in bad lighting, and I forgot to disable hud.

I don't have a timeline on the release, as I am working on this alone, and have a fulltime job/fiance. I will try to get it done asap though!

Glad you think so! Since I have moved past most of the issues in getting this done, I a made a new post with more updates here: http://www.loverslab.com/topic/81437-wip-alternative-cocoon-mesh/?p=1955769

As for the first 2 pictures, they are just in bad lighting, and I forgot to disable hud.

I don't have a timeline on the release, as I am working on this alone, and have a fulltime job/fiance. I will try to get it done asap though!

Great, thank you. I was looking at that other thread and I have two questions I would be really appreciate of if you could answer.

First up, would there be a way I could make it so that when (if) you do release this, there would be a way for me stop the wrapping at stage 2 as I prefer that to the look of stage 3. Secondly, what did you mean by "that allow spiders of other critters to cocoon people". Is Other Critters a mod? Did you mean "or"?

Archived