Save Game Porting

vsuamier

Hi,

I'm interested in some technical challenges sometimes :)

So I wanted to know if I can carry over a savegame from my Skyrim LE to the special edition.

And yes it works, though it might be a daunting tasks.

The main problem remains to get rid of the scripting "bloat" in your savegame.

I started by trying to get the mods of both games in a similar "outfit". I paid mostly attention to scripts. Mods with meshes, textures I avoided to remove.

Also RaceMenu and addons I have kept installed (as I want to know what gets carried over). Actually that might be the most interesting part to get PC mods running on SE (Eyes, Hairs, Face, Textures, Brows, Body, maybe even warpaints etc.).

So basically you have to do three steps:

1) Remove of all unnecesarry script-related mods not running on SE.

2) Choose Savegames you want to port.

3) Run FNIS

4) a ) Savegame Tool -> first cleanup

b ) Load your game in the mod-reduced Skyrim LE (and pray it does not CTD)

c ) Savegame Tool -> second cleanup (this was quite huge for me)

Finally dismiss all your followers and save at a vanilla (indoor) place.

I recommend to install as much crash-fixing (and maybe performance enhancing) mods as possible (f.e. "Crash fixes", Skyrim Project Optimization, SSME, SKSE)

So far I had no luck to get my character keeping custom race (Noiral), though they are installed at both games (the old save game in SE shows me that it is a Noiral). I hope that somebody has an idea why this could happen. The character is transformed to the default "Nord".

What are your experiences ?

Archived