Compile Error - No Viable Alternative at input '.'

Code in question:

Scriptname CRSoulHouseQuestFGreetS1 extends TopicInfo  

Actor Property CR6613SoulHomeNPC1 Auto
Idle property CastDualMagic Auto

CR6613SoulHomeNPC1.PlayIdle(CastDualMagic)

Giving this error:

Starting 1 compile threads for 1 files...
Compiling "CRSoulHouseQuestFGreetS1"...
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\Source\Scripts\temp\CRSoulHouseQuestFGreetS1.psc(6,18): no viable alternative at input '.'
No output generated for CRSoulHouseQuestFGreetS1, compilation failed.

Batch compile of 1 files finished. 0 succeeded, 1 failed.
Failed on CRSoulHouseQuestFGreetS1

Yes, CastDualMagic is an Idle: http://cs.uesp.net/index.php?game=sr&formid=0x00035b91

I'd also be looking into moving the player after a fade out after the above script, but the creationkit website keeps 502'ing when I go to this page: http://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=MoveTo_-_ObjectReference

You need to put the line that is giving you an error inside a Function or an Event.

It cannot be played in the way you are trying.

It looks like a TopicInfo, so probably you want to do it inside one of the fragments.

But you need the CK to generate the fragments, you cannot write them directly.

Putting it into the fragment end box gives this error:

Compiling "TIF__01002DDB"...
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\Source\Scripts\temp\TIF__01002DDB.psc(9,0): no viable alternative at input 'Actor'
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\Source\Scripts\temp\TIF__01002DDB.psc(9,15): no viable alternative at input 'CR6613SoulHomeNPC1'
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\Source\Scripts\temp\TIF__01002DDB.psc(12,18): no viable alternative at input '.'
No output generated for TIF__01002DDB, compilation failed.

Failed on TIF__01002DDB

with the code

I can't add properties to an empty end or begin script fragment, so what do I do? Because if I add the first line as normal...

Scriptname CRSoulHouseForceGreet extends TopicInfo

it gives the errors...

Compiling "TIF__01002DDB"...
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\Source\Scripts\temp\TIF__01002DDB.psc(9,0): mismatched input 'Scriptname' expecting ENDFUNCTION
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\Source\Scripts\temp\TIF__01002DDB.psc(14,18): no viable alternative at input '.'
No output generated for TIF__01002DDB, compilation failed.

Failed on TIF__01002DDB

And if I put CR6613SoulHomeNPC1.PlayIdle(CastDualMagic) alone, with nothing else, even if I add a script defining these properties on the right-hand side of the dialog scripts to the right of the end box, it says that nothing is defined or gives a completely unrelated error. (I'm used to "EOF" Being "End of File.")

I need to play an animation for the actor at the end of this dialog choice, and fade out to black and teleport the player. I can't not do that.

Like @CPU said, you cannot play an idle directly in an script, you have to call it in a function or event. Nor can you write your own TopicInfo script, you have to create those with CK. The best you can do is to edit the CK created script.

In your case follow these steps.

1. Remove all the scripts and the 'CR6613SoulHomeNPC1.PlayIdle(CastDualMagic)' line you have added to that topic event.

2. Hit OK and save.

3. Open the topic event again.

4. In the - End: Papyrus Fragment window type

;actor plays idle
yes that is just a comment, basically a place holder for now.

5. Hit advanced and rename the newly created script from TIF__whatever to a name that fits your mod say, CRSoulHouseForceGreet01

6. Hit OK and save.

7. Open the TopicInfo yet again and add your idle property.

8. Now, if the actor playing the idle (i.e. CR6613SoulHomeNPC1) is the speaker in that dialog, you do not need to add that actor property.

9. Hit OK and save.

10. Now go in your favorite script editor open CRSoulHouseForceGreet01.psc and replace ';actor plays idle' with 'akSpeaker.PlayIdle(CastDualMagic)'.

11. Your final script will probably look something like this.

;BEGIN FRAGMENT CODE - Do not edit anything between this and the end comment
;NEXT FRAGMENT INDEX 1
Scriptname CRSoulHouseForceGreet01 Extends TopicInfo Hidden

;BEGIN FRAGMENT Fragment_0
Function Fragment_0(ObjectReference akSpeakerRef)
Actor akSpeaker = akSpeakerRef as Actor
;BEGIN CODE
akSpeaker.PlayIdle(CastDualMagic)
;END CODE
EndFunction
;END FRAGMENT

;END FRAGMENT CODE - Do not edit anything between this and the begin comment

Idle Property CastDualMagic Auto 

Well, I can't even open the dialog tree anymore for the quest ever since I saved the ESP. So now I can't do any of this. (The CK just crashes when I click on the dialog view entry with all theb ranches I created.) Should I just delete the quest and try again?

Archived