It's worth Skyrim Special Edition?

Sneaksmile

I'm not an expert girl in these matters, that's why I'm asking you guys. A while ago I looked at photographs of Skyrim Special Edition And I was not surprised at all, my old Skyrim Legendary Edition looks 50 times better, so is it worth it to spend so much time again to modify the game when the old one looks better? Mods going to be more powerful for Skyrim Special Edition? I mean ... old Skyrim have Ultra 4K mods. 

Thanks to those who answer my doubts.

I think the answer will vary a lot depending on who you ask.

The thing is that it really depends on what mods you want to use for Skyrim.

I use a lot of mods from here and also Racemenu that wont be of use for some time and perhaps will never be ported to SE, so basically my answer would be no its not worth going through the fuss of installing SE when Skyrim original works with everything available now.

In the long run the only thing I can say is its subject to change.

For now, SE is not worth all that much though getting it for free was very nice.

That aside it is a better base game from what i understand and as such should mean a better modded game in the end.

How long that will take or if it will ever reach even close to the same level as oldrim is anyones guess.

Im optimistic about SE but little more than that... not waiting for anything, if it happens then good, if not then oh well.

I have been exclusively playing SE since it released and IMHO it is really a huge improvement in stability and smoothness. Everything is faster such as changing cells. I have had ZERO CTD's over many hours so far. Graphically the default looks pretty good as compared to old Skyrim default, and modded it will look at least as good as any old Skyrim modded. Many of the top quality mods have now been ported with lots more underway.

My feeling is, in 4-6 months from now it will have replaced oldrim on virtually everyone's PC.

I have been exclusively playing SE since it released and IMHO it is really a huge improvement in stability and smoothness. Everything is faster such as changing cells. I have had ZERO CTD's over many hours so far. Graphically the default looks pretty good as compared to old Skyrim default, and modded it will look at least as good as any old Skyrim modded. Many of the top quality mods have now been ported with lots more underway.

My feeling is, in 4-6 months from now it will have replaced oldrim on virtually everyone's PC.

^ This.

Darkxider said it: " My feeling is, in 4-6 months from now it will have replaced oldrim on virtually everyone's PC."

It will take time and some modding nous to get many mods (and SKSE/SESKSE/SKSESE? ported over so at this point Patience is a must.  I guess that people forget that when Skrim first came out back in 2011, we were in this boat for the trip then - no ready to go SKSE, few mods, yada yada.  I, for one really appreciate the new, more stable and more expandable engine. I cannot wait to see what will be out, 6-7 months from now....but I will.

AT last count there were over 1500 ported mods up on the N site and even Bethevil dot net had a swag of goodies for the consolers. That's in less than 2 weeks as of this date (Leckshun day) So in 6 months we'll have quite a trove.....

B.

Propably depend on pc, for my SE look terrible compare to normal and crashing every five minute :(

Indeed this. Performance and graphics are considerably better than oldrim, though of course assets are unchanged. But that's what modding is for of course. There's already a ton of mods converted to enjoy the experience of actually playing it. If you're solely after mature ENBs, full HDT bodies, sexis etc. then definitely come back in 3+ months.

Same experience for me.  Much faster save loads, game launch and cell loads.  Much more stable, without the need for ENBoost and Crash Fixes.  As we suspected, the ability to use more memory and DX11 for Win10 users solved a lot of problems from the original game.  That being said, not everyone is getting the same results.  I've seen plenty of reports of crashes and worse performance, but I don't know why.  SSE runs terrific on my machine, not so much on wife's machine.  She has a more powerful CPU (i7 to my i5), but I have a more powerful video card (GTX 970 4GB to her GTX 660 2GB).

You're definitely right about the timing.  Today?  Not worth buying if you didn't get it for free.  A half year from now, it will probably be worth it.  A year from now, after the new SKSE, SkyUI, RaceMenu and PapyrusUtils have all been released, it will probably be the best thing going for game modding.

BTW, I still occasionally see people spreading rumors about the crucial tools listed above never being converted for SSE.  They are rumors.  SKSE64 is in the works, someone is taking over SkyUI to convert it, I've heard Expired will do a new RaceMenu (which means NiOverride) and after SKSE64 is done, I'm sure we'll get PapyrusUtils, because he's still an active modder.  Once that happens, we'll get the full avalanche of SL, OSex and other advanced mods.  We already have FNIS and XPMSE, which puts us about a half year ahead of the old game, and there is a new BodySlide with eventual support for an improved CBBE mesh that is compatible with the old textures.  As with all new Bethesda releases, it's pretty much the suck for a while, but things are going to happen at an accelerated rate for SSE compared to the original game.

Oh yes, already we've seen large scale battles being tested

We are gonna see some mind-bending story mods come out when SKSE64 is ported

- I forsee devious slavery mods with slaves being whipped all along the roads of tamriel as far as the eye can see

So it is a question of stability and performance only?, I think that is volatile, as in the original game some did not have ctd with 100 mods installed and others had ctd every 5 minutes without any mods installed.

I've seen some conversions like the body UNPB and it's nothing impressive, it's rather miserable.

Thanks for all the answers.  :)

I use a lot of mods from here and also Racemenu that wont be of use for some time and perhaps will never be ported to SE, so basically my answer would be no its not worth going through the fuss of installing SE when Skyrim original works with everything available now.

You mean SSE have improvements that will allow us to not spend space on them? as more nature, volumetric fog, quality rays of light, things that in the old Skyrim was necessary to install a mod to have them, and now it will not be necessary and instead we will be able to install much more perverted mods?  :P

You mean SSE have improvements that will allow us to not spend space on them? as more nature, volumetric fog, quality rays of light, things that in the old Skyrim was necessary to install a mod to have them, and now it will not be necessary and instead we will be able to install much more perverted mods?  :P

I don't think of it as perverted but aside from that.

Of course Im not interested in it until there is adult content as well as content that doesn't have a direct adult context but allows for more attractive characters than typically available in games. 

What will be really interesting and what a lot of fans of SE want to see is just how jam packed can we make SE with mods that are usually demanding of original Skyrim's resources.

Depends entirely up to you tbh, I had over 200 mods installed on my Oldrim RealVision build but have move on to SSE after playing around with mod builds, imo at this moment it comes down to not graphical mods and textures as you can get SSE to look good enough but if you can stomach being with out SKSE and the mods it powers. The hardest thing for me personally so far is being with out SkyUI and MCM otherwise I've moved on to SSE.

Same experience for me.  Much faster save loads, game launch and cell loads.  Much more stable, without the need for ENBoost and Crash Fixes.  As we suspected, the ability to use more memory and DX11 for Win10 users solved a lot of problems from the original game.  That being said, not everyone is getting the same results.  I've seen plenty of reports of crashes and worse performance, but I don't know why.  SSE runs terrific on my machine, not so much on wife's machine.  She has a more powerful CPU (i7 to my i5), but I have a more powerful video card (GTX 970 4GB to her GTX 660 2GB).

You're definitely right about the timing.  Today?  Not worth buying if you didn't get it for free.  A half year from now, it will probably be worth it.  A year from now, after the new SKSE, SkyUI, RaceMenu and PapyrusUtils have all been released, it will probably be the best thing going for game modding.

BTW, I still occasionally see people spreading rumors about the crucial tools listed above never being converted for SSE.  They are rumors.  SKSE64 is in the works, someone is taking over SkyUI to convert it, I've heard Expired will do a new RaceMenu (which means NiOverride) and after SKSE64 is done, I'm sure we'll get PapyrusUtils, because he's still an active modder.  Once that happens, we'll get the full avalanche of SL, OSex and other advanced mods.  We already have FNIS and XPMSE, which puts us about a half year ahead of the old game, and there is a new BodySlide with eventual support for an improved CBBE mesh that is compatible with the old textures.  As with all new Bethesda releases, it's pretty much the suck for a while, but things are going to happen at an accelerated rate for SSE compared to the original game.

Same here, very stable for me. And i have a ton of mods now. BSAopt is a god send. I just need my Lovers lab mods to work but im waiting for SKSE64. 

I think its worth it, much faster loading times and very stable.

As for the differences users experience with SSE:

I tested it in both Win 10 and Win 7 on the same Computer.

On Win 10 there were virtually no loading times, Areas got loaded in a matter of less than 5 seconds, the FPS were pretty stable at about 60 even though there are some limitations with 64bit Games on Win 10 (something about win 10 not being able to utilize more than 4096 Vram).

On my Win 7 installation i got Longer load times, still less than 10 seconds though, and the FPS arent stable at all. They are way too high making the physics in the game go crazy (clutter flying around) - even though Vsync is on, FPS Limit to 60 in the Graphics Driver and Vsync on in the .ini.

So my guess is: If you got lots of CTDs install it on a Win 10 System which limits your Graphics but might make the Game more stable. If you got Performance Issues install it on a Win 7 System.

I think both "too good" hardware and "too weak" hardware make the game go crazy depending on which system you play on.

The 4GB VRAM issue on Win10 is about DivX9 games. So it doesn't affect SSE. 

The performance problems people are experiencing seem to be related to problem with the game itself that is reportedly fixed with the latest patch (that is still in beta).

Disabling SSE's own vsync and capping the framerate using a 3-rd party tool seems to fix the problems for everybody who have tried it and bothered to post about it. 

Archived