Centaur in the works, fully functional (update 04.05.2017 - nexus link pg 1)

XcOm04au

Randomly I came across this: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/3768945-centaur-both-human-and-horse-halves-functioning/page-3

please check it out.

Mod projected to release in mid to late February - early March '17

Wishnot4

Yeah, I have about 60-65 more animations to make and the mod should be ready for the alpha release.

Alpha is almost complete:

Download: http://www.nexusmods...im/mods/83640/?

Has it a valid skeleton, are the animations done in HKX? (you need more than 40 for a basic race) Has it a good rigging model?

I think it is just a proof of concept, but really far away to be a real new Race for Skyrim.

And using it for SexLab? Forget about it for very long time.

I am not the one created this I am just sharing what I found. This person said they learned how to write the files for the skeleton they needed. Check out the other forum that I linked :)

the link is pretty recent, Nov 3 2016...so yeah, hopefully this gets done.

AND I QUOTE;

In response to post #42533195.

Spoiler

Actually, I have some really good news. I have learned how to write the skeleton file needed to animate custom skeletons in game. Once we have our feet under us for the mermaid mod l will start working on the playable centaur race. It will still be a little bit before I can get to work on it.

There have already been attempts at this from other people here who have failed. Not holding my breath on that. The author rather makes mermaids than a centuar? pshh....

Animating is... uhg.

Rewarding in 3dsMax, until you try to figure out how to export, and realize everything you've done is incompatible with the creation kit.

With Havok scrubbing their plugins from the internet post Microsoft purchase, it's kinda discouraging. More power to those that can do it--it's going to get harder and harder to learn.

There have already been attempts at this from other people here who have failed. Not holding my breath on that. The author rather makes mermaids than a centuar? pshh....

I never said I'd rather make mermaids.  In fact, I could care less about them.  My team is making mermaids, so I learned how to make the tail animate in game.  And it does.  I do have a serious obsticle, I haven't figured out how to make the animations race exclusive.  So, my tail animations are overwriting the vanilla animations.  So, yes, I can make a centaur, it just will be some time.  I've got a lot on my plate, not including real life stuff.

Edit: by the way, from what I was told(can't read Russian, so not 100 percent on that) the guy who made the video used my functioning centaur mod to make the animations.  Yes, I made a functioning centaur mod back several months ago.  No, I haven't promoted it because it's only the NPC/Enemy version and it's ugly as hell.  The version I'm going to build will be a player character version as well.

... The version I'm going to build will be a player character version as well.

Whoa. You know how many animations you have to create to have a Race to be playable?

About 300...

So, yes, I can make a centaur, it just will be some time.  I've got a lot on my plate, not including real life stuff.

Shit just got real.

I never said I'd rather make mermaids.  In fact, I could care less about them.  My team is making mermaids, so I learned how to make the tail animate in game.  And it does.  I do have a serious obsticle, I haven't figured out how to make the animations race exclusive.  So, my tail animations are overwriting the vanilla animations.  So, yes, I can make a centaur, it just will be some time.  I've got a lot on my plate, not including real life stuff.

Edit: by the way, from what I was told(can't read Russian, so not 100 percent on that) the guy who made the video used my functioning centaur mod to make the animations.  Yes, I made a functioning centaur mod back several months ago.  No, I haven't promoted it because it's only the NPC/Enemy version and it's ugly as hell.  The version I'm going to build will be a player character version as well.

I'm no animator but I do think this is fairly impressive.  If you all figure out a  method to be able to get the animations to be race specific that would be huge.  I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how your work progresses.

... The version I'm going to build will be a player character version as well.

Whoa. You know how many animations you have to create to have a Race to be playable?

About 300...

Yes, I know.  And I'm not looking forward to it. LOL!

So, yes, I can make a centaur, it just will be some time.  I've got a lot on my plate, not including real life stuff.

Shit just got real.

Thanks, I guess.

I'm no animator but I do think this is fairly impressive.  If you all figure out a  method to be able to get the animations to be race specific that would be huge.  I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how your work progresses.

Well, fnis can sort of do it, and there is a WIP race in the threads that has managed to do it, but I can't seem to duplicate their work, and they have yet to reply back to me.

I'll try to keep you all appraised of my efforts.  I haven't started on the centaur project yet.  Because we are still trying to figure out the race exclusive animations thing. Also, I'm trying to finish up the animations for the tail right now.  Once I have that finished, I'll make up a skeleton and rig for the centaurs.  Maybe the community will like to play with them - still have to think about that.  Don't want anyone stealing our stuff before we have a chance to release it. We'll see.

Vanilla has a skeleton in bsa archive( meshes\actors\centaur\character assets) ,Bethesda prob tried to make one :)

As for the races animations ,they can be made as Behavior master files i assume.Like any other actor races have it.

Yeah, they have a skeleton in there, but it's obvious they didn't actually start work on it.  It is clearly unfinished. And you say "made as Behavior master files" like it's simple :) I wish it was simple.  But adding behaviors is super hard.  And with the centaurs, I'm having to work around the skeleton.hkx file.  What I mean is, the normal races have to share the same skeleton.hkx file.  So, I'm having to work my rig around using the new skeleton.hkx and the old one.  It's a little complicated to explain(for me), but I'm having to have the NIF skeleton be slightly different to the rig skeleton just to make sure it doesn't mess up normal races.

On an update note.  It looks like I may have the rig done now.  Have to do some more tweaks to the rig file, but it seems to be working.  But after all of that, I'm like, oh hell there are so, so damn many animations. It's distressing. Not that it's going to stop me, but it looks like this will take a very(very very) long time to complete. I'm a subpar animator at best.

On an update note.  It looks like I may have the rig done now.  Have to do some more tweaks to the rig file, but it seems to be working.  But after all of that, I'm like, oh hell there are so, so damn many animations. It's distressing. Not that it's going to stop me, but it looks like this will take a very(very very) long time to complete. I'm a subpar animator at best.

sadly, i have done this math before:

300 animations x 1 animation made every 2 days = 600 Days ÷ 365.25 = 1.643 Years

300 animations x 1 animation made every 5 days = 1500 Days ÷ 365.25 = 4.107 Years

you will become a pro animator by the time your done.

My small advice is to avoid it to be a playable race, so you can skip many animations.

But still, you will have to work for more than 6 months to create all of them.

P.S. you can also try to disable tons of possible actions on the race to reduce the animations that are required: open doors, swim, sleep, fly, etc.

Well, who knows what I'll do in the end.  There is still some issues with the rig I'm having to hammer out.  And I have to get back to my groups mods(this is just a side project).  So, yeah, it may be months and months before I'm far enough along to have a functioning player character centaur.  I already did the non-player character version, released it over on the nexus back several months ago.  I hate it, it's ugly and it uses some of the mounted behavior animations. If I can get my current rig issues to work out the way I want them too, then there is a possible way to cut down on the animations.  I've been looking into the save/load animations thing.  It seems that there is a way(at least for 3ds max animations, not sure for skyrim animations) to load or merge animations from one file to another.  So, maybe I could, again baring several factors, load in my rig and import the horse animations like for walk forward in one file.  And in another file load in the human mt_walkforward animation.  Then save the horse's walk forward animations, and load them into the human's.  Haven't tried the idea yet, could be a total disaster or the perfect solution.  But until I'm certain the rig will work 100%, then there's no point in even making the attempt to merge the animations.

some tips you may or may not know:

the save/load animation can be used to copy the selected nodes animation only.

but be warned, it can only be applied to nodes of the same name...so keep than in mind if using the "Rename Objects" tool.

if you hold down Ctrl on your keyboard you can select multiple objects with your mouse by clicking on them.

that's not just for 3ds max, it works in other programs and windows itself.

you can copy keyframes by selecting them on the time bar* and then hold down Shift, as you are holding down shift drag the keyframes with you mouse, you will now be dragging a copy of the selected keyframes.

there is a useful hidden tool for the time bar*, right click on the time bar* and go to configure, and then click on "Show Selection Range"

with this you can "change time" if you have multiple (eg: all) keyframes selected, just click and drag the white arrows. (edit: they sometimes show up as white rectangles instead)

it comes in useful if you want to speed up, slow down or even reverse the animation.

*i don't know the real name of it

Archived