do you think a fully functioning SKSE for Skyrim 2016 will arrive before a fully functioning F4SE?

240 members have voted

1. 1. so which will come first?

• SKSE for Skyrim 2016
    • F4SE for Fallout 4
    • they will never come :(
    • both will come (cum ;) ) at the same time

do you think a fully functioning SKSE for Newrim

will arrive before a fully functioning F4SE?

cmon, we all know everyone is dying for Sexlab 2016

and Sextec, so im wondering which one will come (cum  :P) first

also bc they both have their own kind of head start, fo4 is 1 year old

but Skyrim has a paved out fully functioning SKSE, its just not 64bit- yet

I'm aware of that. I'll just quote another thread's explanation of why SKSE64 is easier to make than F4SE.

^^^ Exactly this. I've been using book and library examples to explain this to various people, and they keep being oh-so-appropriate.

Imagine you're going to a library to find a dictionary (Yes, I know we have the internet, stay with me). Every time you go to the library, you find the dictionary is the same place, and you open it up and find the word you're looking for, and it's defined with other words you know. So maybe you didn't know the meaning of that word you're looking up originally, but you know the OTHER words used to define it, so now you know what to do with it!

- This is basically what an SKSE-enabled mod such as SkyUI is doing with SKSE, and how SKSE makes functions available.

Now imagine you're going to the library to find a dictionary, and discover that the library has been demolished. Thankfully, it's being rebuilt to be newer and better and bigger, and when they're complete, you go inside. Inside you know your dictionary is around somewhere, but you have to find it first before you can start figuring out what words mean again.

- This is basically what the SKSE64 team needs to do: find the function hooks in the new fancy executable.

When you find the dictionary, you discover that it's an updated version with a whole bunch of new words. That's fine because the new words don't bother you, you're looking for the same word from before because you forgot what it means. You look it up, it's on a different page now, but the definition is the same. Now you know again! And since you've found the dictionary, you know where to look for it next time.

- This is basically what would happen with SKSE-enabled mods and SKSE64. Mods are designed to use a specific script function, and as long as that function is available, it doesn't matter WHERE it is as long as it's THERE. The function is being looked up by its name, which should be the same.

This is of course in contrast to Fallout 4. Now you're looking for a dictionary that includes the slang common to the area you just moved into. There IS no dictionary that includes the slang of FO4land, so now you have to look around, talk to other people, and try to write the dictionary yourself. This takes a lot of time, may require several revisions, but eventually you'll be able to take your dictionary to the library and put it up on the shelf for other people to use.

- This is basically what the F4SE team has to do. Some functions may be familiar, some may not be, and how they're used may be different. While they could attempt to slap the SKSE functions onto it those may not be entirely accurate, and research should be done to make sure everything works the way it's intended.

Honestly, I just don't see F4SE coming out any time soon. The way FO4's CK is setup is obscenely complex compared to previous versions, and that structure is what Script Extender has to deal with. SKSE64 I'd expect out before Xmas because it's just a matter of changing some existing coding around to hook into what few changes were actually made as opposed to making something from scratch.

I think skse 64 will come out late winter or early spring, cuz to be frankly honest not much really has been change with Skyrim's game engine except a few upgrades and the fact that it's 64-bit now, so I doubt they have to change much to get it to work.

the reason I say this is because most of the work is already done and they just need to make sure it's working with the new game and change whatever needs to be changed to get it to work.

I think it will depend on how many more patches SSE needs or gets from Beth. Every time the exe is updated is more work for the SKSE team if I understand their methods.

Depending on how badly borked the console versions of SSE are (I have no idea, don't really pay attention to the consoles) I wouldn't expect many patches for SSE.  They'll fix some of the things they obviously broke in the upgrade, some of the other broken stuff they'll just ignore and let mod'ers fix.  Aside from that stuff that was still bugged in old Skyrim will still be bugged in SSE.

I would be pleasantly surprised if we get more than that but it really doesn't make a lot of sense from Beth's perspective to keep updating SSE for very long unless it is to fix a console issue.

Hey, I recognize that quote up there! :P

Theoreticalls SSE for SSPE should come faster as its more of a port to 64 bit engine, Im not saying thats easy im saying thats the only real change.

But if either is finished the other will be done faster afterwards.

This may very well be true. SSE is giving the team an insight into where things are stored in the executable by using familiar landmarks. In theory the Fallout 4 executable should be similar, and their work with SKSE64 may help to accelerate F4SE's development because of it.

SKSE64 is definitely going to be first, they're tearing through it as we speak, but I would think F4SE will show some significant progress soon after.

Archived