is a 1080 gpu worth the 600$ price or should i get a 1060 for 250$?

I still haven't seen any restricted or grayed out features in any DX12 game <.< 

Also peculiaris I dunno if you are implying this but just because one GPU is "last gen" (as you call it) it doesn't mean is bad and it won't perform well with the new games. This strongly applies to the 1080p category. There are LOTS of kinda old cards which do perfectly fine running the games full blown. You are not forced to buy a new GPU every year just to run the newest games maxed out. The 4k gaming is different story but for 1080p its just like that. 

zzz72w3r never said anything about the rebranding mate, long live the GTS 250 btw (mine is still alive and kicking lol) ^^

Just a communication advice, if you meant to use a question as a sarcastic retort then it's better to make it more obvious.

Everyone who responded to your "what does it mean to be last gen?" actually thought you phrased it as an actual inquiry.  Now people who took the time answering it felt not only they have just wasted their time trying to help but got insulted to boot. 

Sorry about that, I didn't meant to insult anyone :( I just think the therm last gen applies to PC hardware. I think that outdated sounds more in place. Last gen sounds like we are talking about X360 and X1.

It's alright :D.  Sarcasm doesn't translate well online at all, so many times I thought I was an ass when re-reading my own posts of trying to be funny.  Better mannered people than I have gotten the hobbit of using the illusive sarcasm font that I am still searching  :P

Generation used to be the #1 golden rule of making GPU purchase.  Each new manufacturing generation means new eye candies or drastically lower price of previous generation designs so people always try to point that out for buyers looking for advice.  It's what happened in this thread. 

However, as you pointed out that is less applicable nowadays since so many games are console ports.  New gen of GPU features and better $/performance ratio just don't mean as much in real world to run software designed for consoles.  I used to upgrade my GPU every 2-3 years or every other video card generation.  Now it's 4+ years or 3 generations of GPU technology but not surprisingly corresponds to a single console cycle.  I would have waited even longer to upgrade had it not for Skyrim modding.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487260

evga 1060 costs almost 500$ less than a 1080--is the power

gap between the two all that significant?

1080 ftw also has 2more gb in it for more than double the

price of the 1060

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487252

First of all I would NEVER buy EVGA, durability 4, risk of overheating 9. The GPU depends on what games you play AND on what settings you use the more graphical advanced the better the GPU must be. I would ALWAYS choose MSI and my second choice would be ASUS both durable and little problems in case of overheating. Skyrim in Ultra High Seetings demand 6-8 GB graphic memory more if you also use an ENB or any other Graphics Enhancement program, also if you use mods that add a bunch of NPC's in your game in certain area (like with Death mountain mod of civil warfare mod) it also asks way more of your GPU than the standard 4 GB version. Like said before it depends on the game, settings and mods you use on what is best. However Take in mind that an newer GPU also has different demands in energy make sure that your rig can handle it. if possible it may be best to buy a dual GPU if your motherboard can have 2.

price of the 1060

First of all I would NEVER buy EVGA, durability 4, risk of overheating 9. The GPU depends on what games you play AND on what settings you use the more graphical advanced the better the GPU must be. I would ALWAYS choose MSI and my second choice would be ASUS both durable and little problems in case of overheating. Skyrim in Ultra High Seetings demand 6-8 GB graphic memory more if you also use an ENB or any other Graphics Enhancement program, also if you use mods that add a bunch of NPC's in your game in certain area (like with Death mountain mod of civil warfare mod) it also asks way more of your GPU than the standard 4 GB version. Like said before it depends on the game, settings and mods you use on what is best. However Take in mind that an newer GPU also has different demands in energy make sure that your rig can handle it. if possible it may be best to buy a dual GPU if your motherboard can have 2.

I would choose Gigabyte over MSI or Asus, they have the same quality but Gigabyte is always a bit cheaper. And I wouldn't go SLI or Crossfire because Nvidia is pushing dev's to take it less and less into consideration when designing a game / game engine. 

price of the 1060

I would choose Gigabyte over MSI or Asus, they have the same quality but Gigabyte is always a bit cheaper. And I wouldn't go SLI or Crossfire because Nvidia is pushing dev's to take it less and less into consideration when designing a game / game engine. 

Gigabyte is also no favorite of mine, I choose durability and stability always over price, what use does it have to buy a gpu that lasts maybe 1 or 2 years, while not being completely reliable and possible destroying your system, when going bust?? None... if anyone choose a GPU reliability, stability and durability should always go above price... the cooler you can keep your system the better it performs and lasts longer in the long run...

price of the 1060

Gigabyte is also no favorite of mine, I choose durability and stability always over price, what use does it have to buy a gpu that lasts maybe 1 or 2 years, while not being completely reliable and possible destroying your system, when going bust?? None... if anyone choose a GPU reliability, stability and durability should always go above price... the cooler you can keep your system the better it performs and lasts longer in the long run...

Yeah problem is that gigabyte has been confirmed to be as reliable as MSI... so oops? 

price of the 1060

Yeah problem is that gigabyte has been confirmed to be as reliable as MSI... so oops? 

No oops, as long as i keep on hearing problems with new Gigabyte GPU's (there are only a few exceptions, but exceptions make the rule)... I don't really care what others say....anyway it's your choice and money not mine...

• 2 weeks later...

I almost bought a rx480 but when I saw the price difference between 4gb version and 8gb version I was like... screw it. I will just wait a while and let the tech change and the prices go down and see what I can get later. The game these companies play is find a way to charge more for very little increase and it sucks. Maybe after ryzen comes out we will see some movement on gpus? I think they are all in bed with each other anyway so best thing to do is wait them out.

I tried to read your link but they're so hard-up for money I couldn't read for more than ten seconds, and I read slowly.

Did it say a more economical version of the nvidia 1080 was here?

A super-really long time ago, people would modify game machines to piggyback ram onto them.

I wonder if  some people do that with videocards, assuming a person could even buy gddr5 or whatever separately.

and if they could, would they resell mundane videocards on steroids for a decent price.

Just wondering.

I googled my own question and found a link https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/370222-amd-confirms-4gb-limit-for-first-hbm-graphics-card/

but it's a little dated.

Like I said, I was just wondering.

In other words, bottom line, would it be better to get an older card that a third party has souped up? I guess it depends on the company and their track-record.

I read complaints about ads or something from the site I found this link on and found it strange because I don't get those ads but it must be because I run and ad blocker since I don't see any ads from that link.

The main thing for me is price, with this thing disrupting everything else it might cause some price fluctuations for all other cards both nvidia and amd and so maybe just maybe I can get an 8gb rx480 for much less than the crazy prices we have now just gonna have to wait for this to come out and do some damage first. I don't believe or trust anything nvidia says until after it is out for a while since they have a bad history here and there. I'm thinking of all those overheating laptop chips that fucked up during late 2000's and some desktop chips that would just go out too.

I'm wondering something similar.

Should I get 1 Titan X Pascal, or 2 1080?

The only place I see the Titan is on Nvidia's store and it goes for 1379 Euro.

On the Italian Amazon I can get 1080 for around 750 Euro. So two would cost me more or less the same cash.

Recently I'm using my PC mostly for rendering with Iray, but gaming is also a part of my life.

I figured I should ask on Nvidia's forums, but just in case someone here can share his experience...

p.s. Sorry for highjacking the topic.

I don't think a video card is worth that much money and I bet the market will move this way soon it seems way too overpriced to keep going. Also if we get some really bad flops from new game releases over the next few months that might hurt sales too since most people buy these things to play the new games.

Archived