is a 1080 gpu worth the 600$ price or should i get a 1060 for 250$?

60s have been the sweet spot for quite a while now. If you are playing with one 1080p monitor I think you are better off with the 1060. What is the rest of your system? If the 60 would be a bottleneck, then go higher. Also I do not like to buy first gen of a new architecture. What would you upgrade from?

I waited for my grafic card for a better price, the normal price in german for 1070 gtx is 480 - 580 €. I bought it for 438 €, This was a price for a short time in amazon. The same thing with the mainboard 169 € normal price, i bought it for 149,90. Today the harddisk 25 € cheaper. When its getting near to christmas, amazone makes good prices, i have only to wait a bit for it.

I'm in the process of upgrading my pc (waiting for Base unit to arrive) and I got a zoltac 1080 amp extreme for £600, plus my current pc would struggle with it lol hence the upgrade.

If your worried about price just get a 980ti my msi only cost £320 980ti's are better than 1060's

The sweet spot for price-value in any market has always been flagship minus one or flagship minus two.  Regardless of one's financial situation the answer to whether something is "worth" it in the case of flagship is almost always "no". 

When it comes to flagship the only questions that matter are: 1. Do you want it?  2. Can you afford it? 

https://www.techpowerup.com/227133/evga-gtx-1070-1080-overheating-issues-company-says-thermal-pads-a-solution

EVGA is usually really good but i'd avoid the 10xx evga cards even if they do look sexy as f. (i have a EVGA 1070 brought well before this was discovered)

Power gap the 1080 is basically x2 the power of the 1060.

Value wise it's up to the buyer, if your playing on 4k or 2k 144hz the 1080 is the best card out atm to achieve the best results but you'll be paying a premium for it.

For 1080p 60fps 1060 is all you need and the 1080 is a massive waste of money.

That said, if you can't decide between a 1060 or 1080 then go for a 1070 it's literally the reason it exists.

This is actually maybe the best generation for cards and how to figure out what one you need.

The 1060 is the 1080p 60hz monitor heavy hitter

The 1070 is great for 1440p or 1080p 120hz+

And the 1080 is for 4k or 1440p 120hz+(Although I would lean towards the 1070 for 1440p)

The premium for EVGA cards is worth it, if you get into any troubles with the card at all they have by far the best customer support.

look its real easy....are you:

1. playing skyrim SSE and fallout 4(plus mods and ENB?) then 1060 to 1070.

2. playing Battlefield 1 (on ultra) then 1080. even then might need two.

3. all of the above,then I refer you to 2.

P.S. don't forget your prossesor!

There is some kind of cooling issue with evga cards they are mailing out extra cooling pads that you will have to install yourself wtf...

This is real simple though if you don't have a 4k monitor then you don't need a 4k card. I started looking at slightly older amd cards that are between 250 and 300 to see if there are any deals on something with 4gb ram and some good performance. I wouldn't spend any money on computer crap right now anyway just wait until after the election to see if everything goes nuts or not but next year financial stuff will be bad for a while so it might be better to just keep your money.

http://www.sapphiretech.com/catapage_pd.asp?cataid=305&lang=eng

Ignore the haters and buy Titan X.

If you're into the head of John Baptist.

I'm only window shoppng though, I'd get an R9 and be all quiet about it

Can i ask you what a R9 is?

AMD is a big company that makes a line of processors and videocards.

They used to be an underdog, a competitor, but they're barely there anymore.

Ever heard of "ATI" videocards?

AMD owns them now.

If the news is right, AMD is releasing a new videocard very soon called RX.

R9 is the predecessor.

R9 has several models, some of which have 8GB of VRAM, and cheaper models, of course.

They are sold by vendors such as "Sapphire" (I gotta go hunt down a link, don't eat this)

The link will appear on top of this post, Sorry about that (It's my browser)

And I like their videocards, I don't (can't explain) know why except they always work and they run cool.

Some other company made hot video cards and another videocard company made ones you had to tweak the bios of for a freaking year to get them to work.

This videocard I have now runs tons, it makes me happy, what else could I ask for.

(whew)

post-392535-0-96696900-1478123025_thumb.jpg

Sapphire is good for amd cards I just wish their drivers didn't suck all the time. Nvidia is no better though with driver quality as you will frequently get those crashed display errors where the desktop display recovered from an error blah blah thing. They had a problem with adobe flash causing that with nvidia cards at one point lol.

AMD owns them now.

R9 is the predecessor.

R9 has several models, some of which have 8GB of VRAM, and cheaper models, of course.

They are sold by vendors such as "Sapphire" (I gotta go hunt down a link, don't eat this)

And I like their videocards, I don't (can't explain) know why except they always work and they run cool.

Some other company made hot video cards and another videocard company made ones you had to tweak the bios of for a freaking year to get them to work.

This videocard I have now runs tons, it makes me happy, what else could I ask for.

(whew)

Yeah fun and all... But Polaris 10 has been released for a while now, And they are kinda disappointing... The RX 480 has about the performance of a GTX 970 while they advertised the performance of a GTX 980... Btw there are only 2 "GPU companies" relevant on the desktop (Nvidia and AMD) and Nvidia is clearly superior. But if you like AMD go for them, I hear the next batch of their new "ZEN" cpu's are gonna be amazing.

AMD owns them now.

R9 is the predecessor.

(whew)

Yeah fun and all... But Polaris 10 has been released for a while now, And they are kinda disappointing... The RX 480 has about the performance of a GTX 970 while they advertised the performance of a GTX 980... Btw there are only 2 "GPU companies" relevant on the desktop (Nvidia and AMD) and Nvidia is clearly superior. But if you like AMD go for them, I hear the next batch of their new "ZEN" cpu's are gonna be amazing.

Armchair window-shopping (Because I thought "Polaris 10" was a videogame) I googled tons.

1. The CEO's of Nvidia and AMD

2. The current Prices of what you said (I cannot read and type)

3. WHOA!! 8GB for a low prce!!

You and critics like you are gratefully welcomed by the people like me who don't care if a $650 videocard talks to God.

The lady at AMD looks very smart and would charge more if she could, I think.

If she could come up with a new standard only AMD has.

But she has nice eyes and doesn't waste a lot on wardrobe.

post-392535-0-82655000-1478403555_thumb.jpg

post-392535-0-40547300-1478403570_thumb.jpg

post-392535-0-25080600-1478403578_thumb.jpg

post-392535-0-77162600-1478403588_thumb.jpg

post-392535-0-74198400-1478403597_thumb.jpg

AMD owns them now.

R9 is the predecessor.

(whew)

Armchair window-shopping (Because I thought "Polaris 10" was a videogame) I googled tons.

1. The CEO's of Nvidia and AMD

2. The current Prices of what you said (I cannot read and type)

3. WHOA!! 8GB for a low prce!!

You and critics like you are gratefully welcomed by the people like me who don't care if a $650 videocard talks to God.

The lady at AMD looks very smart and would charge more if she could, I think.

If she could come up with a new standard only AMD has.

But she has nice eyes and doesn't waste a lot on wardrobe.

Google gtx 1060... Because the 9xx series are already last gen at this point.

And why are we talking about CEO's now? Well I guess the CEO of Nvidia has his companies logo tattooed on his arm...

post-1056209-0-54473200-1478434891_thumb.jpg

Here we go again...

If you intend to run more than one monitor, or have an ultrawide, or play games at max quality with 144hz refresh, and you got the rest of the computer geared and ready for it (the proper high-end specs), I'd say get the best GPU out there, regardless of brand. Get what works for you as long as you mind the limitations.

If you have a smaller single monitor like I do (a 19" LCD), modest system configuration and power (around 500w), low- to mid-range single GPU is more like it, with at least 4gb VRAM on tap.

Archived