Problems with Nif Merge

So my friend and I have been trying to figure out how to put a face made in RaceMenu onto a vanilla NPC (Marcurio to be specific) using Nif Merge. We followed this guide (http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Using_a_face_made_with_RaceMenu_on_an_NPC_for_Skyrim) but it hasn't worked. 

The first time we used the Nif Merge tool, we got an error message saying uneven vertices I think? I've seen people mentioning error messages with Nif Merge before but they seemed to imply that they don't matter, so we ignored it. We went in game and Marcurio had a few problems. First of all he didn't have the custom face. He also had a dark face as well as a gap between his neck and body. It also appeared that his hairline was missing. There are attached screenshots of his face like this.

We tried the process again, this time there was no error in Nif Merge but his face didn't change, and still appears like in the screenshots. 

All the tutorials we've found for copying faces with Nif Merge haven't been exactly detailed so we're a little confused as to what to do. What exactly are we meant to do and how can we fix this problem?

post-587464-0-90436800-1477789045_thumb.jpg

post-587464-0-98651100-1477789049_thumb.jpg

So my friend and I have been trying to figure out how to put a face made in RaceMenu onto a vanilla NPC (Marcurio to be specific) using Nif Merge. We followed this guide (http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Using_a_face_made_with_RaceMenu_on_an_NPC_for_Skyrim) but it hasn't worked. 

The first time we used the Nif Merge tool, we got an error message saying uneven vertices I think? I've seen people mentioning error messages with Nif Merge before but they seemed to imply that they don't matter, so we ignored it. We went in game and Marcurio had a few problems. First of all he didn't have the custom face. He also had a dark face as well as a gap between his neck and body. It also appeared that his hairline was missing. There are attached screenshots of his face like this.

We tried the process again, this time there was no error in Nif Merge but his face didn't change, and still appears like in the screenshots. 

All the tutorials we've found for copying faces with Nif Merge haven't been exactly detailed so we're a little confused as to what to do. What exactly are we meant to do and how can we fix this problem?

You should take a look at this video by Skyla. She takes a few extra steps using the NifMerge tool, but it works fine.

Short answer, not having the same vertex count definitely matters. If you're using a different mesh, like if the hair is a different style in your racemenu product versus the follower face geometry, it won't transfer over. You can replace it manually in nifskope. Just be careful. If the game rejects the mesh in the face geometry folder, it won't use it and will try to (poorly) attempt to create a new one on the fly; often leading to grey face type of bugs.

I can't tell you exactly what you did wrong without more information. For starters, I would make sure both heads are using the same hairstyle unless you are confident in your nifskope abilities. And make sure the head/face transfers over successfully.

• 4 weeks later...

You should take a look at this video by Skyla. She takes a few extra steps using the NifMerge tool, but it works fine.

Short answer, not having the same vertex count definitely matters. If you're using a different mesh, like if the hair is a different style in your racemenu product versus the follower face geometry, it won't transfer over. You can replace it manually in nifskope. Just be careful. If the game rejects the mesh in the face geometry folder, it won't use it and will try to (poorly) attempt to create a new one on the fly; often leading to grey face type of bugs.

I can't tell you exactly what you did wrong without more information. For starters, I would make sure both heads are using the same hairstyle unless you are confident in your nifskope abilities. And make sure the head/face transfers over successfully.

Soooo, if you want to give an NPC a modded hair, the only way to do that is manually in nifskope? I don't suppose you could tell me how I would do that, then? I've used nifskope a bit before but I don't really remember much about it, not that I knew anything in the first place. 

Why doesn't anyone just tell you all these important details? :/

In this tutorial is NOTHING of Eyes, Hair form other mods - just Vanilla.

If you need other eyebrows, eyes, hairs, etc.

1. Open CK

2. Check all the mods that you need (hair, eyes, etc.) + Skyrim.esm

3. In CK, edit or create an NPC and use the eyes, hair, etc.

4. Save as ESP (for example, PillePalle.esp) - You MUST save at this point.

5. From the Actors view, select the NPC and press CTRL + F4

Now - textures and meshes are created in the mod directory of the CK.

(The mod directory is also created)

The mod directory  is the name of the ESP - here PillePalle.esp.

This directories contains the textures and the nifs - in the nifs also all "custom content" meshes and all paths to the textures (eg hair, eyes, etc.).

You MUST create an ESP if it is not Vanilla resources.

And it is advisable to follow the order - then the post would be completely unnecessary .: http://www.loverslab.com/topic/69903-editing-existing-npcs-in-ck-i-need-an-esp/?do=findComment&comment=1745614

Archived