SE not starting?

Windows 10 user ? I saw this in the newest and 2nd newest Nvidia driver release notes...

"Application Issues  [Windows 10][bethesda Softworks games (Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Skyrim)] Games crash when launched. [1802925]"

Newest driver is 375.70 and 2nd newest is 375.63. Might have happened in even more releases than that.

Windows 10 user ? I saw this in the newest and 2nd newest Nvidia driver release notes...

"Application Issues  [Windows 10][bethesda Softworks games (Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Skyrim)] Games crash when launched. [1802925]"

Newest driver is 375.70 and 2nd newest is 375.63. Might have happened in even more releases than that.

no win7. newest nvidia driver?

Can you describe better what is going on?

If you open the task manager, can you see, at least for a fraction of second, the application?

You can also try to verify the game cache on Steam.

Can you describe better what is going on?

If you open the task manager, can you see, at least for a fraction of second, the application?

You can also try to verify the game cache on Steam.

on release day i downloaded it and installed. when it was done i clicked it and it said something about first time install 1 of 3... took forever so i left it and came back later and tried again. so now when i click it the steam small window pops up for a sec and then disappears (normal) but then nothing.

Try to verify the game cache in Steam.

(Open Steam, go to Library, right click on Skyrim Special Edition, go to Properties, go in Local Files, click on "Verify integrity of game cache..."

Try to verify the game cache in Steam.

(Open Steam, go to Library, right click on Skyrim Special Edition, go to Properties, go in Local Files, click on "Verify integrity of game cache..."

tried it. it didn't do anything. the game content checked out ok. I really think it has something to do with whatever that initial update was. did you get some sort of update when first installed it? directx? .NET?

If you double click SkyrimSE.exe found in the \SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\ folder and get the following error "the program can't start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime[l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer"  then you need to update your Visual C++. (note: you get no error when using the desktop shortcut)

SSE requires a newer version Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable than the original Skyrim did to support the 64bit engine. I had the same issue an had to update mine manually as the steam installer wouldn't get the job done.

I removed all older versions first and then installed the 2015 version found here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145

I also had an issue of the installer not running properly. Hopefully you wont have that same problem.

(Edit: apparently I can't spell Skyrim)

If you double click SkyrimSE.exe found in the \SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\ folder and get the following error "the program can't start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime[l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer"  then you need to update your Visual C++. (note: you get no error when using the desktop shortcut)

SSE requires a newer version Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable than the original Skyrim did to support the 64bit engine. I had the same issue an had to update mine manually as the steam installer wouldn't get the job done.

I removed all older versions first and then installed the 2015 version found here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145

I also had an issue of the installer not running properly. Hopefully you wont have that same problem.

I get this when I doubleclick the skyrimSE.exe (see attached pic)

here is a list of my C++ installed (see 2nd pic)

post-1071799-0-72290300-1477826821_thumb.jpg

post-1071799-0-06402200-1477826937_thumb.jpg

Dollars to doughnuts the 2015 version did not install properly. Run the Visual C++ installer manually, if it hangs at the end you have the same problem I did.

If it were me I would uninstall all versions of Visual C++ to start. Reboot, then stop the following two services in computer management "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" and "Windows Update". Then run the Visual C++ 2015 install you can download from Microsoft. (You need the 64bit version)

"Ok I did that and Visual C++ 2015 still hangs at the end of the install, now what?"  - The research I did for my install indicated the problem exists with windows update. I tried several things that did nothing to solve the issue and then found the windows update diagnostic repair tool on the Microsoft knowledge-base. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058 . To even get this to run properly I had to again stop the following two services in computer management "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" and "Windows Update". I ran this tool twice with a reboot in between. After which I was able to successfully install Visual C++ 2015.

To be clear this is a windows problem not a Steam or Bethesda problem.

Bonus points - You can do a google search for "Visual C++ 2015 wont install" if you want to have your own big fun web crawling troubleshooting adventure. But I'm sure you'd rather just play some Skyrim. Hopefully this will get you going.

Dollars to doughnuts the 2015 version did not install properly. Run the Visual C++ installer manually, if it hangs at the end you have the same problem I did.

If it were me I would uninstall all versions of Visual C++ to start. Reboot, then stop the following two services in computer management "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" and "Windows Update". Then run the Visual C++ 2015 install you can download from Microsoft. (You need the 64bit version)

"Ok I did that and Visual C++ 2015 still hangs at the end of the install, now what?"  - The research I did for my install indicated the problem exists with windows update. I tried several things that did nothing to solve the issue and then found the windows update diagnostic repair tool on the Microsoft knowledge-base. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058 . To even get this to run properly I had to again stop the following two services in computer management "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" and "Windows Update". I ran this tool twice with a reboot in between. After which I was able to successfully install Visual C++ 2015.

To be clear this is a windows problem not a Steam or Bethesda problem.

Bonus points - You can do a google search for "Visual C++ 2015 wont install" if you want to have your own big fun web crawling troubleshooting adventure. But I'm sure you'd rather just play some Skyrim. Hopefully this will get you going.

Shizz... thanks so much for all the info. this did the trick!

I had a lot of older C++ installed so I uninstalled them all, rebooted, installed the 2015 from that link you provided for the x86 & x64, rebooted and am now playing SE.

much thanx for your good tips! :D

Archived