Poll: Who's Playing and Who's Waiting? (PC Version)

To Download SSE or Not to Download  

1,790 members have voted

1. 1. Are you downloading SSE?

• Yes! I want to play it right away!
    • No, I'm going to wait until it's been patched and/or my favorite mods work with it.
    • I'm modding it so I don't have to wait!
    • I'm reverse engineering it to make tools to mod it.
    • No, I'm sticking with Oldrim.

They at a minimum should have made either FO4 or original Skyrim mods usable without hassle

According to who had the CK beta, if you are not relying on things that are not available (SKSE, for instance) then the porting is quite easy.

Let's wait about one week to get the CK.

I voted that I'm waiting for my favorites, but considering the important ones have already hit (EnaiSiaion managed to snag a CK beta), I'm off and running now. Just need SkyUI and a few minor things and I'm golden, I've converted or patched anything else that I wanted myself using SSEEdit.

SKSE wont come for another year. High rated mods like RaceMenu or SkyUI that you had on the original probably won't be a thing. And ENBs will be impossible.

Have fun tho.

I'm like 95% sure that you're wrong and SPSE (or whatever they call it) be out much sooner than you're giving it credit for due to Bethesda wanting to put in minimal effort for maximum gain and not touching the script functions, but I'm also optimistic.

Also I have no idea why you think ENBs will be impossible, it's nearly the same architecture as Fallout 4. Boris is having issues with a Visual C++ error which is entirely unrelated to Skyrim SE, so we'll see how that goes.

"Skyrim Special Edition has been released, and the original SKSE will not work with it. We are currently investigating the application to create a SKSE64 build for the Special Edition. This will not be a fast process. The update to 64-bits means a lot of investigation and changes. Much like the work that has gone into F4SE this will take a tremendous amount of effort. We appreciate your patience while this work continues. We have no timeline for a release. - the SKSE team 29 October 2016"

Does that clear it up? Also with the lighting system SSE has ENBs will not be as variable as the original Skyrim had.

Going to wait, can't play without a proper ENB, HD textures, CBBE body, NSK13's armors, SkyUI, immersive armors, immersive weapons and so on :P

That is how I felt!

Plus, since I had been busy in FO4 for so long, I haven't played Skyrim in over a year.  Thus, I could not even tell the difference when I started playing the special edition.

SkUI Team said they will not be porting it to SSE. So there will be no SkyUI. And if there is no SkyUI there will not be a RaceMenu.

They at a minimum should have made either FO4 or original Skyrim mods usable without hassle

According to who had the CK beta, if you are not relying on things that are not available (SKSE, for instance) then the porting is quite easy.

Let's wait about one week to get the CK.

Not everyone can do with CK circumvent, I can it not.  ;)

Normal players will not need the CK, to convert the mods themselves.

But modders, like me, may post some mods with ease. (Not all of them, of course.)

I'm like 95% sure that you're wrong and SPSE (or whatever they call it) be out much sooner than you're giving it credit for due to Bethesda wanting to put in minimal effort for maximum gain and not touching the script functions, but I'm also optimistic.

Also I have no idea why you think ENBs will be impossible, it's nearly the same architecture as Fallout 4. Boris is having issues with a Visual C++ error which is entirely unrelated to Skyrim SE, so we'll see how that goes.

"Skyrim Special Edition has been released, and the original SKSE will not work with it. We are currently investigating the application to create a SKSE64 build for the Special Edition. This will not be a fast process. The update to 64-bits means a lot of investigation and changes. Much like the work that has gone into F4SE this will take a tremendous amount of effort. We appreciate your patience while this work continues. We have no timeline for a release. - the SKSE team 29 October 2016"

Does that clear it up? Also with the lighting system SSE has ENBs will not be as variable as the original Skyrim had.

No, it doesn't.

"This will not be a fast process."

People are generally expecting mod conversions within a few days, at the very least. This is telling people that for SKSE and any mods relying on it that won't be the case.

"Much like the work that has gone into F4SE this will take a tremendous amount of effort."

This is already a given, however F4SE requires an analysis of what functions are available and how they can be utilized, whereas the conversion of Skyrim to the SE will have left all of the old scripting functions intact as Bethesda didn't change any more than they absolutely had to. It isn't building from scratch, it's closer to looking for familiar landmarks. That doesn't mean it won't take considerable effort, but they aren't building from nothing. As I've said countless times before in other places, it's closer to a search-and-grab to find where to hook in the executable. The problem is how much they have to search through.

"We have no timeline for a release."

So they aren't making promises to the community that they may not be able to keep if trouble arises, Nothing that implies that it could take a year or more. Not being a "fast process" could still only be a month's worth of work, but even a month is a hell of a long time in the modding community. There's no need to exaggerate, the key here is to not EXPECT it any time soon.

You're absolutely right on the part of ENB, but that just means that we'll see Skyrim SE mods that affect lighting rather than needing to force it with ENBs. That includes other features as well that were baked into SSE, including better shadow effects, godrays, enhanced depth of field, improved water effects, improved weather effects... most if not all of these things are no longer necessary for ENB to manage because they can be manipulated through the game itself. You're also discounting any future advancements that Boris makes, because you can damn well bet he'll find a way to stick his programming dick in it. He always does. :P

No, it doesn't.

"This will not be a fast process."

People are generally expecting mod conversions within a few days, at the very least. This is telling people that for SKSE and any mods relying on it that won't be the case.

"Much like the work that has gone into F4SE this will take a tremendous amount of effort."

This is already a given, however F4SE requires an analysis of what functions are available and how they can be utilized, whereas the conversion of Skyrim to the SE will have left all of the old scripting functions intact as Bethesda didn't change any more than they absolutely had to. It isn't building from scratch, it's closer to looking for familiar landmarks. That doesn't mean it won't take considerable effort, but they aren't building from nothing. As I've said countless times before in other places, it's closer to a search-and-grab to find where to hook in the executable. The problem is how much they have to search through.

"We have no timeline for a release."

So they aren't making promises to the community that they may not be able to keep if trouble arises, Nothing that implies that it could take a year or more. Not being a "fast process" could still only be a month's worth of work, but even a month is a hell of a long time in the modding community. There's no need to exaggerate, the key here is to not EXPECT it any time soon.

You're absolutely right on the part of ENB, but that just means that we'll see Skyrim SE mods that affect lighting rather than needing to force it with ENBs. That includes other features as well that were baked into SSE, including better shadow effects, godrays, enhanced depth of field, improved water effects, improved weather effects... most if not all of these things are no longer necessary for ENB to manage because they can be manipulated through the game itself. You're also discounting any future advancements that Boris makes, because you can damn well bet he'll find a way to stick his programming dick in it. He always does. :P

Honestly if there is going to be no SkUI there is no point. People who have a lot of characters that they want to transfer wont be able to. And without SkyUI no RaceMenu, without RaceMenu no good characters

Also Boris is having issues with Visual C atm. So we wont see reshades for a bit.

SkUI Team said they will not be porting it to SSE. So there will be no SkyUI. And if there is no SkyUI there will not be a RaceMenu.

Honestly if there is going to be no SkUI there is no point. People who have a lot of characters that they want to transfer wont be able to. And without SkyUI no RaceMenu, without RaceMenu no good characters

I believe they also said they'd never release SkyUI5 to the public for free, we saw how well that went! Besides, to be honest it's not all that hard to convert mods over, and if SKSE64 uses the same script function names as it did before (and I'm pretty sure it will as to increase compatibility), it would require anyone capable and willing to retool it for the slight UI scaleform changes and not much more than that.

-----

I'm honestly trying to figure out why there are so many doomsayers over SSE. It's really not as bad as people seem to think it is!

I believe they also said they'd never release SkyUI5 to the public for free, we saw how well that went! Besides, to be honest it's not all that hard to convert mods over, and if SKSE64 uses the same script function names as it did before (and I'm pretty sure it will as to increase compatibility), it would require anyone capable and willing to retool it for the slight UI scaleform changes and not much more than that.

-----

I'm honestly trying to figure out why there are so many doomsayers over SSE. It's really not as bad as people seem to think it is!

You cant do any of this without SKSE.

Can't ensure that it WORKS PROPERLY without SKSE64's added functions. However...

a115ec8c6546aaeec56f61ada093f372.jpg

I think you may be surprised what can be done already. No converting through the CK (I don't have it), no editing with SSEEdit. Dropped in the plugin, unpacked the BSA using BSA Unpacker. That's it.

Believe, friend! It's not as hopeless as it seems!

c1dd8e83cb73a2849a02d5bc040f7ba7.png

Can't ensure that it WORKS PROPERLY without SKSE64's added functions. However...

a115ec8c6546aaeec56f61ada093f372.jpg

I think you may be surprised what can be done already. No converting through the CK (I don't have it), no editing with SSEEdit. Dropped in the plugin, unpacked the BSA using BSA Unpacker. That's it.

Believe, friend! It's not as hopeless as it seems!

Let me guess version 2.2? Cool, you cant use favorites menu without the MCM. Im not going SSE If i cant transfer my characters and thats final.

never gonna get it. ive already spent full price on skyrim and all of the dlcs, and have modded them to a fair-thee-well. not gonna waste another $60 for a shitty ENB patched version, and then wait for the unnoficial patches to catch up and skyui, and SKSE, and UUNP, and then for all of the other 130+mods to get converted.

Normal players will not need the CK, to convert the mods themselves.

But modders, like me, may post some mods with ease. (Not all of them, of course.)

As you know I'm an outsider. I am using a no more current Body (CHSBHC) + all related outfits.

If I should ever play SSE, then not without this body.

And I do not believe, that someone will convert this body and 250 - 350 outfits.  :(

never gonna get it. ive already spent full price on skyrim and all of the dlcs, and have modded them to a fair-thee-well. not gonna waste another $60 for a shitty ENB patched version, and then wait for the unnoficial patches to catch up and skyui, and SKSE, and UUNP, and then for all of the other 130+mods to get converted.

You get it free with all DLCS if you have the original Skyrim with every DLC.

I fail to see what you're implying here?

Classic Skyrim:

- SkyUI 5.x uses SKSE

- SkyUI 5.x checks for SKSE, finds it

- SKSE has X added script function to use

- SkyUI 5.x uses X added script function for Y use. Y use is, for instance, the Hotkeys.

Skyrim SE:

- SkyUI 5.x uses SKSE, which doesn't exist.

- SkyUI 5.x checks for SKSE, can't find it.

- SkyUI 5.x throws error saying SKSE doesn't exist.

- SkyUI attempts to use X added script function anyway, causing Y use (the Hotkeys) to not operate.

--- Months(?) later, SKSE64 is released, using the same script function names as before.

- SkyUI 5.x checks for SKSE, finds it.

- SkyUI 5.x uses X added script function for Y use (Hotkeys).

I don't understand why this isn't coming across? Yes, people can use the 2.2 pre-SKSE version right now as it's only interface SWF files. Yes, 2.2 IS limited compared to the current 5.1. However, my screenshot is running the 5.1 version, and you can clearly see a problem in that the hotkeys don't work. That was just one of the features added by SKSE's additional script functions.

I would bet my however-small modding career that when SKSE64 is finally released, SkyUi 5.1 would work with little to no adjustment. THAT is what I'm trying to say here. Not that it works NOW, but that it WILL.

Please guys, keep the tones down.

Insulting is not acceptable.

I apologize, I've just been trying to explain why the doomsaying is silly.

As you know I'm an outsider. I am using a no more current Body (CHSBHC) + all related outfits.

And I do not believe, that someone will convert this body and 250 - 350 outfits.  :(

The good new is that many body mods and outfits can be ported as is without converting.

In case the body requires XPMSE, then you may have some problems now. But it is just a matter of time to have them converted.

And be sure, tons of modders that did outfits will convert the mods quickly, because it is just a matter of re-packing them.

Cheers.

Also Boris is having issues with Visual C atm. So we wont see reshades for a bit.

RaceMenu is being ported. Slowly, and probably without NiOverride right now (because we miss SKSE64.)

The SWF version used by the game is the same as the previous one, so technically porting it is not a problem (but without SKSE64 is difficult to interact with SWF objects.)

About ENB, I think we can expect pretty much the same Boris did for FO4. And it is not bad.

About SkyUI, nobody knows yet. The original authors said they will not port it.

But because a mod like this is really indispensable, probably someone else will build something.

Again, just a matter of time.

Keep in mind that this game was out less than 48 hours ago.

I fail to see what you're implying here?

Classic Skyrim:

- SkyUI 5.x uses SKSE

- SkyUI 5.x checks for SKSE, finds it

- SKSE has X added script function to use

- SkyUI 5.x uses X added script function for Y use. Y use is, for instance, the Hotkeys.

Skyrim SE:

- SkyUI 5.x uses SKSE, which doesn't exist.

- SkyUI 5.x checks for SKSE, can't find it.

- SkyUI 5.x throws error saying SKSE doesn't exist.

- SkyUI attempts to use X added script function anyway, causing Y use (the Hotkeys) to not operate.

--- Months(?) later, SKSE64 is released, using the same script function names as before.

- SkyUI 5.x checks for SKSE, finds it.

- SkyUI 5.x uses X added script function for Y use (Hotkeys).

I don't understand why this isn't coming across? Yes, people can use the 2.2 pre-SKSE version right now as it's only interface SWF files. Yes, 2.2 IS limited compared to the current 5.1. However, my screenshot is running the 5.1 version, and you can clearly see a problem in that the hotkeys don't work. That was just one of the features added by SKSE's additional script functions.

I would bet my however-small modding career that when SKSE64 is finally released, SkyUi 5.1 would work with little to no adjustment. THAT is what I'm trying to say here. Not that it works NOW, but that it WILL.

Please guys, keep the tones down.

Insulting is not acceptable.

I apologize, I honestly didn't think that implying someone was being stubborn was an insult? Pretty sure I got the short end of the stick on that one. I've been trying to explain why the doomsaying is nonsense.

By the time everyone one the mods I use are converted will be the time that probably another Elder Scrolls or another game thats better will be out or announced. So im staying on the original for good. Only going to play SSE if want to replay the story with crashes and bugs.

The good new is that many body mods and outfits can be ported as is without converting.

In case the body requires XPMSE, then you may have some problems now. But it is just a matter of time to have them converted.

And be sure, tons of modders that did outfits will convert the mods quickly, because it is just a matter of re-packing them.

Cheers.

RaceMenu is being ported. Slowly, and probably without NiOverride right now (because we miss SKSE64.)

The SWF version used by the game is the same as the previous one, so technically porting it is not a problem (but without SKSE64 is difficult to interact with SWF objects.)

About ENB, I think we can expect pretty much the same Boris did for FO4. And it is not bad.

About SkyUI, nobody knows yet. The original authors said they will not port it.

But because a mod like this is really indispensable, probably someone else will build something.

Again, just a matter of time.

Keep in mind that this game was out less than 48 hours ago.

Like I said without SkyUI being worked on RaceMenu is kinda impossible atm.

whelp, at least i got SSE for free, thanks steam, but lets lookie at the mod list:

SkyUI/ SkyUI away - nope

Racemnu - nope

UUNP body - nope
XPMSE skeleton - nope
outfits for the above - nope

slavetats - nope

hairstiles etc, - nope

Sexlab - nope
DDi, DDa, DDx - nope

and unable to transfer saves - HELL THE FRAG NO! ive got saves with over 1200 hours on them. not losing them just to get a REALLY bad version of ENB.

On the note of bodies, yes, some of them do still work. I have UNP Curvy along with vanilla outfit conversions installed on my SSE currently and everything seems to be working fine. Don't know if that'll change, but for the moment at least it's all looking good!

I haven't actually tried XPMSE due to the SKSE requirement, but there's also the potential problem of the skeleton straight up not working regardless. It's another one of those things we can't test until we have SKSE64, sadly.

On the note of bodies, yes, some of them do still work. I have UNP Curvy along with vanilla outfit conversions installed on my SSE currently and everything seems to be working fine. Don't know if that'll change, but for the moment at least it's all looking good!

I haven't actually tried XPMSE due to the SKSE requirement, but there's also the potential problem of the skeleton straight up not working regardless. It's another one of those things we can't test until we have SKSE64, sadly.

so ill be waiting for at least a year then, for SKSE64 to get full-function, Skyui/skyui away to get re-done, and then all of the things that rely on them to get rebuilt, which is 3/4th of my 200-somthing item mod list.

then, because i'm a completionist, grind out ALL of the achievements again.

nope, not upgrading.

Archived