Poll: Who's Playing and Who's Waiting? (PC Version)

To Download SSE or Not to Download  

1,790 members have voted

1. 1. Are you downloading SSE?

• Yes! I want to play it right away!
    • No, I'm going to wait until it's been patched and/or my favorite mods work with it.
    • I'm modding it so I don't have to wait!
    • I'm reverse engineering it to make tools to mod it.
    • No, I'm sticking with Oldrim.

This is just a thread so we can see what folks are going to do with Skyrim Special Edition PC version. Will more people wait until it's been through the mandatory wringer of patches and "hotfixes" to play it? Or will they start playing it right away?

I'm waiting on this one. After FO4 and sharing in 99% of the common complaints about it, I just don't trust Bethesda enough to download this right away. There are always issues that need to be addressed, and since this is a new 64-bit engine old mods won't necessarily work with it unless/until they're updated. It's a free download, I know, but after thinking through complaints I've had about each game BGS has made and the issues still going on with FO4, I'm just not taking another chance.

EDIT: Added the two new poll choices that CPU suggested.

Voted No!.

But want to add that in addition to waiting for my favourite mods (which are a lot... my old Skyrim install has 571 mods on it...), I will also wait until a proper mod manager is available. As a long term MO user and enthusiast who has grown very accustomed to its feature set, I simply and flatout refuse to use NMM. Since MO2 won't be updated to support SkyrimSE, that means waiting for the new manager Tannin is now working on for the Nexus and praying it actually will live up to the task.... *fingers crossed*

Guest Katherlne

2684 hours in "old" Skyrim and am done with it... I played skyrim in so much ways and roles, i just empty with ideas. Gonna waiting sextec for FO4, and stick with it, until release a new TES.

I installed it and played long enough (to Riverwood) to make sure it was working ok on my hardware.  But like @Twycross448 said above, I'm going to wait until there's an MO-like mod manager available before I put any time into modding it.  In the meanwhile I'll stick with the old version and my many wonderful mods.

I've got my copy of S:SE installed and modded via NMM (0.63.3), and I'm having fun on my way to Whiterun after clearing out Bleak Falls Barrow.

Only thing I regret doing with this version is installing Skinripper's mods over on Nexus, with the overpowered gear he added in and the cache of stuff located just outside Riverwood he created. 1 use of a bow he made brought me from Lvl 2 right to Lvl 10 by killing a single wolf on the way to the Barrow after finding the cache. -.-;

Otherwise the game is running fine for me and my 1440p144 monitor (set at 120hz in Nvidia control Panel, v-sync in-game enabled). Rig specs inside the spoiler for those curious.

CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K.

Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Krait Edition.

RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX4M4A2400C14 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 (Eventually have 2 sets of this).

GPU: 2-way SLI EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ 6GB.

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 4TB ST4000DM000 (long-term) & Samsung 850 EVO M.2 500GB SSD (OS/Data).

Case: Thermaltake Core X71 Full Tower Case.

PSU: Antec High Current Pro Platinum 850W Modular.

Cooling: CoolerMaster Nepton 120XL Liquid CPU Cooler/2x EKWB TitanX Plexi (with Nickel backplates) + EK XRES 140 DDC 3.2 PWM Elite (inc. pump) + 2x EKWB 360 SE rads + 6x EK Vardar F4 120mm fans.

Monitors: Acer XG270HU + 2x LG Flatron E2441.

As with others, I've got it installed and ready, but I've put my current game on 'base' game on the backburner as well now, since I'm going to have to restart anyway, so I'm just waiting for enough of the mods I want to be ported so I can start playing in this new version.

Where is the I'm not going to play it at all at? I have no desire to play SSE at all for the foreseeable future.

Well, why not?

1. As someone who has modded the original Skyrim to its max capacity there is literally no reason to re-mod SSE

2. SSE benefits console users more then PC users for obvious reasons.

3. It is stupid that I probably won't ever get my characters from the old skyrim to SSE.

4. The only thing i am doing with SSE is playing the story again without mods.

Waiting to see what happens with SSE-SE, if they manage to make previously developed plugins/mods that depend on it compatible with SSE, then i'll probably switch. I really don't want to see a split modding community technically modding the same game, and having SSE-only mods, and Skyrim-only mods.

Hopefully the majority of already made mods, including abandoned ones, are compatible with SSE eventually. It seems to be overall an upgrade. 64-bit, updated Papyrus, etc..

If not, then i'll go right back to waiting for F4SE to be finished.

Even then, ModOrganizer is abandoned, so i'd probably end up waiting for Nexus' new mod manager anyways.

I've been debating whether or not to use SSE as a mirror install to test out some of the other mods I'd like to try, but were previously afraid of destabilizing that Jenga stack I call a load order. Damned neared had to nuke my install the other night as it was, since I hadn't played in 6 months and had no idea what was causing crashing in exterior cells (it was Tentapalooza). As it is, I'm happy with what I have now, and since the new AMD drivers a few months ago - am getting decent performance again. I'm also running short on HDD space for the time being.

I may also just set SSE up as a dedicated Enderal (or Skywind, if it's more than a pipe dream) install, which seems to be a better use of the space. At least until a year or two out when most of the important stuff has been converted over and/or I have the chance to see what I can do myself. Then I might switch over full time.

Archived