First Impressions

shiagwen

Thanks to those that answered my questions in my last post.  What about Sexlab Framework and Sexlab Defeat?  With those two is it just about getting the dependencies to work to get them up and running on Special Edition?  Or will those two not likely work without being converted and possibly redone as well?

Quick answer:

1) animations are handled like FO4, and not like Skyrim original. So the current logic of SexLab will NOT work.

2) testing now is difficult, we need to wait for the CK to be sure about animations

3) probably it will be easier to port SexTec to Skyrim SE than upgrading SexLab

4) without SKSE64 nothing will start.

So, for long time, you have to wait for sexual mods.

Thanks to those that answered my questions in my last post.  What about Sexlab Framework and Sexlab Defeat?  With those two is it just about getting the dependencies to work to get them up and running on Special Edition?  Or will those two not likely work without being converted and possibly redone as well?

Quick answer:

1) animations are handled like FO4, and not like Skyrim original. So the current logic of SexLab will NOT work.

2) testing now is difficult, we need to wait for the CK to be sure about animations

3) probably it will be easier to port SexTec to Skyrim SE than upgrading SexLab

4) without SKSE64 nothing will start.

So, for long time, you have to wait for sexual mods.

That's what I figured.  I was not getting my hopes up for a quick turnaround on these as it's an unreasonable expectation because of how difficult I'm sure it is. Thanks for answering my questions!

That's what I figured.  I was not getting my hopes up for a quick turnaround on these as it's an unreasonable expectation because of how difficult I'm sure it is. Thanks for answering my questions!

Just for fun: when I was testing the game (just after the release), I tried to replace some of the normal animations with old SexLab animations.

And it worked.

If an animation is not based on XPMSE then it can play right away.

The serious problem is that the function Debug.SendAnimationEvent(actor, "animation") is gone. Like it was for FO4.

And SexLab relies on it.

Just for fun: when I was testing the game (just after the release), I tried to replace some of the normal animations with old SexLab animations.

And it worked.

The serious problem is that the function Debug.SendAnimationEvent(actor, "animation") is gone. Like it was for FO4.

And SexLab relies on it.

I remember the days back before I got into modding when I'd hear modders get angry with a developer over leaving things out that they could use or not listening to the modding community, I would typically roll my eyes and act like they were making a big deal out of nothing.

In the time since discovering the wonders of LL and Nexus and modding the original game like crazy, I now relate to those people who were mad at the developer not listening to the modding community.  I am now one of those upset with them not listening to the modding community.    I have faith in the modding community though.  I feel they will be able to get around most of these hurdles.

• Alternate Start - Was cool seeing the cart opening once, but after that need to be able to skip it.

Alternate Start - Live another Life is already available for SSE.

For me, the Special Edition is running impressively.  I think there is a lot of potential here, in terms of being able to add small scale battles, new areas and towns with decent sized populations - without massive slowdowns and instability.  I've had pretty good results using reShade to do some visual tweaks to my game.  It's not ENB and I do miss things like subsurface scatter but the performance is so much better.

I haven't had any issues porting old mods that don't rely on SKSE or dll's.  There are situations where I have to unpack the bsa's but if I want to use the mod bad enough, I can handle it.

I will miss the adult mods but when I need to scratch that itch, I can always fire up the 32-bit, for now at any rate.  I realize these things take time.

I don't miss vanishing bodies or dark faces because the limitations of 32-bit and DirectX 9 (under windows 10 at any rate).  I don't miss the odd hangs and random crashes, even on a lightly modded Skyrim installation.

First impressions?

Skyrim SE still looks like an old game, but now it also runs like an old game (in a positive way), everything is smooth, 2-5 seconds loading times, stability.

Once I said to my gf "I'd rather play Morrowind again instead of Skyrim remastered", well now I play Skyrim SE...

Most SKSE mods I used were for stability, memory patches and such, thanks to the 64bit Engine these things aren't necessary anymore (I just badly miss SkyUI).

You can grab the 2.2 old version of SkyUI off the Nexus right now and just plug it into SE. It works fine

As far as i am concerned,i going to wait for full SKSE adaptation to the 64 bits version (not holding my breath for an equivelant of 1.7.3 version available to us from day one of it's release)

And that's because then and only then 64 bit updated mods will trully tell us if the SE version of Skyrim is indeed 'the horse our money should be on' as far as stability is concerned!

I am talking about heavily skripted mods that make full use of skse's capabilities (immersion mods like frostfall,rnd,ineed,civil war overhall,warzones,wet and cold,pc headtracking,climates of tamriel and LL mods like sexlab and all it's plugins)

The memory allocation problem of the 32 bit version might have been fixed, but what can we say for sure for the other major problem of vanila skyrim? about scripts that clog up save files just because they sum up despite the fact that they are well written by mod authors? 

Only when we have examples of serious playthroughs based on a combination of complex skse based mods in time will tell us the truth! 

Obviously nobody will play the new version in its current state without having the original version installed on another pc.

Also as for smoothly running and stability and stutter and lag and crashes, if you know what you are doing with modding the game then you should never suffer from these and if you do then you should pin point what is causing it. I have been running the game with constant 254-255 mods for a very long time and yes i did suffered from these things but i knew how to fix the game very easily and i have been running the game for over 2 years now without any of those issues (apart from fogetting which body meshes every single costume follower has and trying to dress them with other skeleton settings lol) and im very happy about it.

All it comes to is wether you wish to play the game on a new pc you bought strictly vanilla version with a few graphical improvement and a new engine or you wish to continue playing the original mods packed version.

As for the ENB, of course a few adjustments can be easily compared to the non ENB remastered version and everybody will argue what is better in terms of personal taste, i absolutelly love the ENB as its not only improves graphics, it gives you freedom to set it the exact way you want.

Its only a choice if we want another version of the game or not thats all.

My first impressions are the same I had when I first started playing Skyrim - all of this was possible and should have been the PC version of Skyrim back in 2011. 64 bit wasn't just a novelty fad that was going to disappear and Bethesda should have known that.

But I'm happy it's at least finally here. I never thought we'd everrrr get a better Skyrim engine post-release so I really have no right to complain about getting the thing that was on top of my Skyrim wishlist since it came out n_n

However until the essentials of SKSE, FNIS, SkyUI (including MCM) and RaceMenu/NiOverride are available and fully functional, SSE is not worth the consideration of modders. Without the advanced third party infrastructure, we are back to 2012 in terms of limitations and I don't have fond memories of those times at all ^^

Waiting and seeing. Optimistic but careful. Happy but not satisfied yet.

:dodgy: Oh I could say that well I wished you had of lifted the 4 shadow light limit and I could say that hell Bethesda the edge of your new water is woeful! I could also say what on earth, I still cannot jump while sprinting and now without head tracking mod my player once again stands there like a stuffed chook and also blah blah blah But I love the performance and no crashes and IMHO with time the SE version with mods will rule!

My first impressions are the same I had when I first started playing Skyrim - all of this was possible and should have been the PC version of Skyrim back in 2011. 64 bit wasn't just a novelty fad that was going to disappear and Bethesda should have known that.

Windows XP and DX9 was still a dominant combination back in 2011, so a 64 bit exe would have been suicide for Bethesda. A lot of other game developers have deliberately avoided 64 bit for a long while specifically because of the sheer number of customers that stuck with XP for so long. This situation has only really changed in the last couple of years, and it's only now that going 32 bit would be suicide for a dev. This situation with DirectX being linked to Windows versions is also why most developers have been avoiding going exclusively to DX12, as that is linked to Windows 10 only. I'd give it another year before we see DX12 only games being released.

• Alternate Start - Was cool seeing the cart opening once, but after that need to be able to skip it.

Alternate Start - Live another Life is already available for SSE.

Yeah that popped up right after I posted.  :)

Also noticed a new version of NMM today, but no mention of the Mod Organizer  virtual directories features yet.  Will probably hold off modding till that drops.

64 bit wasn't just a novelty fad that was going to disappear and Bethesda should have known that.

This kind of developer thinking drives me bat shit crazy at work.  Run into some legacy developers and they try and pull the "well there's no reason to code it in 64bit" and I just want to throw them out a window.  Learn to code in 64bit or find another job. 

One reason MS dropped all windows phones and bands.  They were all running 32bit OS's all the way up to this year.  Fucking idiots.

Android and Apple switched years ago.

And it worked.

And SexLab relies on it.

I remember the days back before I got into modding when I'd hear modders get angry with a developer over leaving things out that they could use or not listening to the modding community, I would typically roll my eyes and act like they were making a big deal out of nothing.

In the time since discovering the wonders of LL and Nexus and modding the original game like crazy, I now relate to those people who were mad at the developer not listening to the modding community.  I am now one of those upset with them not listening to the modding community.    I have faith in the modding community though.  I feel they will be able to get around most of these hurdles.

To be fair, there are sometimes considerations on both sides. For example, the developers may want to secure some of their proprietary work or prevent their product from being used to exploit others. I can live with some limitations for those types of reasons.

But, yeah. In some cases, there doesn't seem to be a clear reason why they are holding back. With SKSE, it mostly just gives modders access to commands that are already programmed and working in the game engine.

If Bethesda knows about and allows SKSE to the point that they even help spread documentation about it, why keep that functionality closed so that some modder has to do the agonizing work of reverse engineering compiled code each time? It really doesn't make any sense. It conservatively holds back 50% of the mods that people liked in Skyrim (and that goes well beyond just adult mods). It's in Bethesda's interest to do this.

However until the essentials of SKSE, FNIS, SkyUI (including MCM) and RaceMenu/NiOverride are available and fully functional, SSE is not worth the consideration of modders. Without the advanced third party infrastructure, we are back to 2012 in terms of limitations and I don't have fond memories of those times at all ^^

Waiting and seeing. Optimistic but careful. Happy but not satisfied yet.

This is the problem. Those mods are a lot of work to rebuild with every Bethesda release. We can't count on the same modders to do it every time. And then everyone waiting for those mods builds the impression that there just isn't enough interest to justify that work anyway.

I'd like to see a push for Bethesda (or some other enterprising developer) to offer a legit SDK for modders that allows picking up where we left off in previous releases.

Well I can tell you now the game has more bugs then the original, some which didn't even exist in the original.

That wouldn't surprise me. This is Bethesda we're talking about, not only could they not be bothered to fix the bugs in the original game - but porting it to an updated engine and tinkering with it further would introduce new bugs. Besides, the community has several outstanding bug patches already which were sure to be ported to consoles - and some mods rely on existing bugs, so to their minds, why bother even if they could be asked to do it?

Shame about the PS4 version though. A lot of USP and USLEEP fixes are to models, textures, and scripts... all of which are external assets, and so none of which are allowed. They're stuck with the bugs in place.

Well I can tell you now the game has more bugs then the original, some which didn't even exist in the original.

That wouldn't surprise me. This is Bethesda we're talking about, not only could they not be bothered to fix the bugs in the original game - but porting it to an updated engine and tinkering with it further would introduce new bugs. Besides, the community has several outstanding bug patches already which were sure to be ported to consoles - and some mods rely on existing bugs, so to their minds, why bother even if they could be asked to do it?

Shame about the PS4 version though. A lot of USP and USLEEP fixes are to models, textures, and scripts... all of which are external assets, and so none of which are allowed. They're stuck with the bugs in place.

Even now in 2016... the Playstation crowd will have the worst version of the game.... just like in 2011.... its like we've been here before.

Could you please list some?

• I had a couple of dragons randomly die.
  • NPCs during the Battle of Windhelm spawn in a wall.
  • NPCs during the Battle of Windhelm spawn in two on the same same spot unable to move, they can do damage but you can't hit them with bows.
  • Bows fire arrows even at full drawback when they fire just go a cm and fall to the floor.
  • Arrow hit target but no damage is done or arrow goes straight through.
  • Bodies of the deceased don't seem to disappear at all!!! Ulric is still dead in the Palace of Kings 10 in game days later.
  • Randomly arrested by guards for crimes.
  • When pressing caps lock, the screen goes black for a couple of seconds.
  • Steam overlay cannot be used when in Skyrim loading screens. Sometimes causes weird symbols to happen in chat logs.
  • Texture bugs for no reason.

Could you please list some?

• I had a couple of dragons randomly die.
  • NPCs during the Battle of Windhelm spawn in a wall.
  • NPCs during the Battle of Windhelm spawn in two on the same same spot unable to move, they can do damage but you can't hit them with bows.
  • Bows fire arrows even at full drawback when they fire just go a cm and fall to the floor.
  • Arrow hit target but no damage is done or arrow goes straight through.
  • Bodies of the deceased don't seem to disappear at all!!! Ulric is still dead in the Palace of Kings 10 in game days later.
  • Randomly arrested by guards for crimes.
  • When pressing caps lock, the screen goes black for a couple of seconds.
  • Steam overlay cannot be used when in Skyrim loading screens. Sometimes causes weird symbols to happen in chat logs.
  • Texture bugs for no reason.

Those are all bugs that are resolved by modding community with patches for Legendary Edition so its easy to mistake that SE "has more" when really it likely has the same amount of bugs as the original or near the same amount.

Partly why Im not in a hurry to get into SE.

Also there's just so many things like uh what are those things oh right mods, mods that wont be usable in SE at all for year or more, just why would I even bother installing SE?

Well I might, when the creation kit is available for SE.

Some hunting around on U-Toob and Googly has revealed a few relevant points to this barrage of questions:

1: The 64 bit engine IS far more stable than the old 32 bit engine.... and the old 4Gb limit of ram is now a bad memory (64 bits- ram limit is 16 BILLION GB!!!) SO, Effectively there will be no limit to the number of Mods a PC user can add..... Bye bye to only 256 esp's

EDIT: A post below says I should have expressed this better... Windows 32bittOS address limit  is 4Gb and 64 bit Address limit amounts to 16Billion Gb. Windows 64bit can only go to 48 GB of that. But the future is bright! (I was unaware of that....)

2: Most of the "improvements are graphical and a few bugfixes, but the Unofficial Patch is still a musthave. And it's already out...

3. Any mod that has NO Textures or Meshes or any other NEW data (Ie consists of ONLY an ESP file) will almost certainly work as it accesses only vanilla content. (I grabbed "Ring of Himalayan hauling" to test this, it works perfectly.)

EDIT: But that is NOT guaranteed - test them for yourself.

4. While you MAY still use the old 32 bit textures and meshes, they will slow your system down loading as the new engine uses an updated file format which is not 100% compatible. Once the CK is out you will need to use it to convert textures and meshes to this new FF. The new engine can handle many of them but it does nae likem too much!

EDIT: The delay, I'm more reliably informed is due to the differences beween DX9 and DX 11. Who knew? I didn't!

5/ The teams at Loot, Wrye Bash, Xedit and Mod Organiser are now supposedly hard at work on getting them ready for SSE. Xedit's first version came out yesterday. NMM has already released an update for SSE. Use with care... so far.

EDIT: Someone associated with MO has released an add-in to MO (new DLL and sundry) to include SSE in MO, just the other day. Again - a Clarification to my statement. Plus I understood that somebody is "looking after" MO for things like bug fixes or update requirements, at least until the new NMO Mod manager appears. This update may be a result of that...

Hope this helps someone.....

B

Archived