AMD Radeon R9 290 Driver Update Issue in Oblivion

Ailsa

I have always played Oblivion with HDR in the past however the latest driver update for the Radeon 290 graphics card no longer works with HDR enabled.  

Initially I was advised to use a DDU tool and reinstall from scratch.  That worked fine for everything except Oblivion.  Anti-aliasing works fine, so does Bloom (which I don't particularly like) but the HDR option leaves me with a totally black screen in interior scenes, and a totally blue screen in exterior scenes.

If anyone can help or advise me on whether there is a way to resolve this issue I would be a very happy player :D

I now have Oblivion working with the latest driver update for my graphics card - however HDR does not work in the settings, it just gives me a black screen in interiors and a blue screen in exteriors.  As a result my game looks very different.  I do prefer the way it looked with HDR enabled. Does anyone know of a fix for this please?

You can try going back to an older working driver for the time being. Use DDU to remove your current one.

Another option that may or may not work is to use Oblivion Reloaded. It has its own code for graphics and I think it does its own version of HDR.

Oblivion Reloaded is abit taxing on older systems.  Another thing you can try is moving your Oblivion.ini file elsewhere temporarily, and letting the launcher rebuild it. Make note of any customized adjustments you have made to it.

Thank you Sladen2019 and sroro ^_^  

I used DDU and tried to roll-back however I did not get the option.  So I re-downloaded the prior drivers and installed them however they were over-written as soon as I re-started my pc *thunder clouds over my head*.  I am not an expert so I am not sure what went wrong there LOL

I will have a look at that mod now :)  I have no issues with Nexus personally thank goodness as I do like some of the mods they have available.

If you are on Windows 10, you can turn off forced driver updates. You can always re enable them anytime if you decide to.

Open the Control Panel by right-clicking the Start button and selecting Control Panel. Navigate to System and Security > System > Advanced system settings. Click the Hardware tab, click Device Installation Settings, and select the “No, let me choose what to do option. Select “Never install driver software from Windows Update.

After you do that, you should be able to uninstall the problematic driver and reinstall an older working one. 

As nice as Oblivion Reloaded is, it doesnt work perfectly on every PC. You may have to adjust some of its ini settings if something doesnt look quite right.

Thank you Sladen2019.  It was AMD itself that did the update, not Windows 10.  I was very careful to set Windows update so that I choose what to do when I first got Windows 10.  I read so many articles about avoiding the issues that so many others have had that I think I stayed cross-eyed for a week afterwards LOL 

I re-downloaded an OBSE plugin called Engine Bug Fix and that has helped a lot.  I still cannot use HDR but that is a battle for another weekend (unless I have a really quiet work day this week)  :shy:

Archived